Author Topic: anyone got ink? tattoos that is....  (Read 361127 times)

McBrandt

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -13
Re: anyone got ink? tattoos that is....
« Reply #1740 on: September 24, 2020, 10:22:49 AM »
Expand Quote
I got 3 small-ish animal chin symbols on my forearm (before Jon Comer did), which i have slight regret for? mainly because white people getting asian writing tattooes was a phase that happened right before/after the whole tribal tattoo phase, and i feel like it gets lumped in with that. but most people are stoked when i show them it's actually people on skateboards.
[close]

I used to have tattoo regret a lot on my old tattoos but now that it has been 10 years, I sort of dig it again. It is like stamp in your life from back in the days. But also if you hate it that much and they are small, you can always laser it off. Those procedures are like way better than they used to. I just heard it hurts more than actually getting tattooed.

I shouldn't say regret, I suppose. I've had that one for almost 20 years. If given the option today, I don't think I'd get it, but I suppose a lot of people might say that. But I am thankful for the proliferation of tattoos in mainstream society, as it no longer seems to effect social standing or the ability to get any type of job (unless it's a face tattoo I suppose).

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1741 on: September 24, 2020, 10:51:15 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I got 3 small-ish animal chin symbols on my forearm (before Jon Comer did), which i have slight regret for? mainly because white people getting asian writing tattooes was a phase that happened right before/after the whole tribal tattoo phase, and i feel like it gets lumped in with that. but most people are stoked when i show them it's actually people on skateboards.
[close]

I used to have tattoo regret a lot on my old tattoos but now that it has been 10 years, I sort of dig it again. It is like stamp in your life from back in the days. But also if you hate it that much and they are small, you can always laser it off. Those procedures are like way better than they used to. I just heard it hurts more than actually getting tattooed.
[close]

I shouldn't say regret, I suppose. I've had that one for almost 20 years. If given the option today, I don't think I'd get it, but I suppose a lot of people might say that. But I am thankful for the proliferation of tattoos in mainstream society, as it no longer seems to effect social standing or the ability to get any type of job (unless it's a face tattoo I suppose).

It still depends on the job but I do agree that tattoos are definitely more welcome than before. Look at your chefs, barbers and more blue collared jobs now. It's almost a look that they have to have tattoos now. I work in a typical office setting and tattoos are still taboo especially to that older generation. It hasn't prevented me from getting a job but I always have to wear long sleeves which can get annoying. I had to go to Arizona for work and it was 105 degrees and I still had a long sleeve on and just told everyone I like it hot. What are you going to do.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

animalflesh

« Reply #1742 on: September 26, 2020, 09:11:48 PM »
Today

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 961
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #1743 on: September 27, 2020, 08:26:25 AM »
That's sick
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

animalflesh

« Reply #1744 on: September 27, 2020, 06:37:19 PM »
Thanks man for my dog died in 2015

McBrandt

• Rep: -13
« Reply #1745 on: September 28, 2020, 08:35:27 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

It still depends on the job but I do agree that tattoos are definitely more welcome than before. Look at your chefs, barbers and more blue collared jobs now. It's almost a look that they have to have tattoos now. I work in a typical office setting and tattoos are still taboo especially to that older generation. It hasn't prevented me from getting a job but I always have to wear long sleeves which can get annoying. I had to go to Arizona for work and it was 105 degrees and I still had a long sleeve on and just told everyone I like it hot. What are you going to do.

I forget that's probably true for some white collar industries, probably the more old school ones. I work in tech, well, actually it's the publishing industry, and I have a lot of tatted coworkers, and our office attire is pretty casual. I keep forgetting it's not like that everywhere yet.

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1746 on: November 04, 2020, 10:35:04 PM »
Finished up my chest tattoo last week with the flower and the wind bars. Got it done by Andre Malcolm who used to be at Skull and Sword in SF till they closed. He did a mellow Japanese piece that sort of flows with my arm who was done by someone else. Flower represents my daughter who is 19 months hence why it’s closed and not in full bloom.

I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin

toque

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 122
    • Portmanteau avatar image
« Reply #1747 on: November 05, 2020, 01:04:53 AM »
Got this guy recently
https://www.instagram.com/p/CE-zXigJdOZ//

Rad stuff, Anton!
« Last Edit: November 05, 2020, 01:17:01 AM by toque »

wheee!

straight fucking edge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -168
« Reply #1748 on: November 05, 2020, 08:43:29 AM »
Finished up my chest tattoo last week with the flower and the wind bars. Got it done by Andre Malcolm who used to be at Skull and Sword in SF till they closed. He did a mellow Japanese piece that sort of flows with my arm who was done by someone else. Flower represents my daughter who is 19 months hence why it’s closed and not in full bloom.

hell yeah.  looks sick man
i don't want to link to the channel because is promotes athiesm.

Silky Johnson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1355
« Reply #1749 on: November 05, 2020, 10:48:48 AM »
Can anyone recommend any American traditional artists in the SF Bay Area?

shucknjive

• Rep: -39
« Reply #1750 on: November 05, 2020, 11:04:10 AM »
mArLeY

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1751 on: November 05, 2020, 12:10:27 PM »

I know two that I really like even though I doubt I would ever get traditional.

Jontalvo - He used to work at Everlasting in SF but he might have left because of COVID but it seems he's a regular there still. He has a style and muted colors but I like his work a lot.

https://www.instagram.com/jontalvo/

Austin Maples - Works at Idle Hands. Actually some other good artist there too so probably check them all out. (https://www.instagram.com/jontalvo/)

I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin

Silky Johnson

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1752 on: November 05, 2020, 12:48:15 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I know two that I really like even though I doubt I would ever get traditional.

Jontalvo - He used to work at Everlasting in SF but he might have left because of COVID but it seems he's a regular there still. He has a style and muted colors but I like his work a lot.

Austin Maples - Works at Idle Hands. Actually some other good artist there too so probably check them all out. (https://www.instagram.com/jontalvo/)

Thank you!

essal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 80
« Reply #1753 on: November 05, 2020, 02:21:29 PM »
Yeah if you want anything traditional just go to Idle Hands. That crew is insane.

jack burton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
« Reply #1754 on: November 05, 2020, 03:39:54 PM »
From what I’ve seen I don’t think you could get a bad tattoo from anyone at idle hands. They all look like they do phenomenal work.

Silky Johnson

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1755 on: November 05, 2020, 06:21:06 PM »
Been lurking their IG page and I'm sold. Thanks dudes

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1756 on: November 05, 2020, 08:05:23 PM »
Sorry for linking the wrong IGs:

https://www.instagram.com/idlehandsf/

Paul Dobleman at Blackheart is good too.

https://www.instagram.com/pauldobleman/

And this guy doesn't really totally traditional but his lines are super clean. I would more or less get something from him.

https://www.instagram.com/nicholasleetattoo/
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1027
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #1757 on: November 06, 2020, 07:30:05 AM »
Sleeves are mostly religious / mythology stuff from Paradise Lost paintings and whatnot. I'm not really religious but I find the stories fascinating for the meanings behind them. Right forearm is Icarus and Daedalus, as Icarus wings are melting. I have always liked that story. Upper right arm (not visible really) is Death riding down as a lost soul is fending him off with a spear (fear of death). Inner right arm (totally not seen) is Loki from mythology, not Marvel. Always found that character interesting from Norse mythology books. Right hand is a hannya mask my homie designed for me. Both elbows are predictable webs (grew up liking punk / hardcore, pretty regular ass tattoos there). Left upper arm (not seen) has the Devil sitting on a throne with a crown of human bones. Underneath him wrapping around bicep and tricep is "the battle for heaven" so angels battling demons. Left forearm is (inner) God throwing Lucifer (outer forearm, visible in picture) out of heaven, with angels crying behind God. Left hand is a Pushead skull design (actually 2 Pushead drawings blended together). I wanted a Pushead one because a lot of the bands I got into as a kid were a direct result of Pus Zone in Thrasher. Loved that shit. So basically a lot of "good vs evil" shit going on. I got most of these while I was coming out of partying hard for years and years and after my dad passed.

My Lennie Kirk graphic on the leg

This bird on this side of my neck is a tribute to my dad. Left side of my neck is my wife's name ("never get a girl's name on you!!".. don't care we've been together for years, I wouldn't marry anyone else). I've got some shit on my stomach (Last name across... pretty predictable also) and a spider on my back too.

This is me on my son's 1st b-day, I figured I should censor my son so I turned him into a Shmoo. Happy b-day Shmoo.

DirtyBurger

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 116
« Reply #1758 on: November 06, 2020, 09:50:11 AM »
^ That's sick, I kind of wish I had just stuck with mostly black tattoos. I feel like it just looks better over time.

That Idle Hands place is awesome as well. Every photo was beautiful.

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1759 on: November 06, 2020, 11:15:55 AM »
Sleeves are mostly religious / mythology stuff from Paradise Lost paintings and whatnot. I'm not really religious but I find the stories fascinating for the meanings behind them. Right forearm is Icarus and Daedalus, as Icarus wings are melting. I have always liked that story. Upper right arm (not visible really) is Death riding down as a lost soul is fending him off with a spear (fear of death). Inner right arm (totally not seen) is Loki from mythology, not Marvel. Always found that character interesting from Norse mythology books. Right hand is a hannya mask my homie designed for me. Both elbows are predictable webs (grew up liking punk / hardcore, pretty regular ass tattoos there). Left upper arm (not seen) has the Devil sitting on a throne with a crown of human bones. Underneath him wrapping around bicep and tricep is "the battle for heaven" so angels battling demons. Left forearm is (inner) God throwing Lucifer (outer forearm, visible in picture) out of heaven, with angels crying behind God. Left hand is a Pushead skull design (actually 2 Pushead drawings blended together). I wanted a Pushead one because a lot of the bands I got into as a kid were a direct result of Pus Zone in Thrasher. Loved that shit. So basically a lot of "good vs evil" shit going on. I got most of these while I was coming out of partying hard for years and years and after my dad passed.

My Lennie Kirk graphic on the leg

This bird on this side of my neck is a tribute to my dad. Left side of my neck is my wife's name ("never get a girl's name on you!!".. don't care we've been together for years, I wouldn't marry anyone else). I've got some shit on my stomach (Last name across... pretty predictable also) and a spider on my back too.

This is me on my son's 1st b-day, I figured I should censor my son so I turned him into a Shmoo. Happy b-day Shmoo.

How was getting your elbow done? My sleeve is mostly done and I saved my elbow for last but I don't have the motivation to get it done cause of the pain. My last couple of tattoos have all heart like a montherfucker and they weren't in areas that most people wouldn't consider that bad (chest and thigh). The elbow area just seems like a nightmare.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1027
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #1760 on: November 06, 2020, 11:41:04 AM »
My elbow review:
The 3 Outer sides (as in outer elbow, down forearm side and up the back of the bicep area. hope this makes sense?)
were fine. The inner side was kind of "grindy" on that bone a little bit. But only right on the "point" of the bone and that was it. (Probably only 10 minutes?)
The weird part too was that both my elbows swelled up quick and big. And stayed swollen for longer than other parts I've had done. Definitely a "I'll get this done when I don't have much to physically do" place.

Overall I didn't think that was too bad - the swelling was inconvenient though. Swellbow!

For me, the stomach was the worst thus far. That was a solid 10 out of 10 on the "sucks scale". I also did not like the inner bicep area - the upper part near the armpit really. That didn't feel so great. Also though, both of my upper/inner/near armpit areas were done at the 2.5-3 hour point. Not sure if that has something to do with that? That was more hmm.. "uncomfortable" I'd say. Stomach was definitely shitty for me.

Anton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 97
    • Blog avatar image

anillusionofthepants

• Rep: 14
« Reply #1762 on: November 06, 2020, 04:34:41 PM »
Got this guy recently
https://www.instagram.com/p/CE-zXigJdOZ//

Rad stuff, Anton!

Nice, I've met Morgan a few times when he was at Two Cranes Tattoo. Swell guy. I really like your other ones too, were those done in the bay as well?

toque

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 122
    • Portmanteau avatar image
« Reply #1763 on: November 07, 2020, 11:00:18 PM »
Yeah Morgan is rad. Really talented skateboarder as well.
Thanks dude. Most of the stuff in that photo is by Nick Rodin...another Bay Area dude worth checking out. He was at Blackheart for a long time and then opened up his own shop in Petaluma, 45 mins north of SF.

wheee!

jack burton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
« Reply #1764 on: November 08, 2020, 01:40:23 PM »
Maybe it’s been talked about here ( I never actually looked) but I saw Tyler Bledsoe is doin tattoos now? A guy I get tattooed by posted he works at the same shop now in Portland.

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1765 on: November 08, 2020, 06:13:20 PM »
Maybe it’s been talked about here ( I never actually looked) but I saw Tyler Bledsoe is doin tattoos now? A guy I get tattooed by posted he works at the same shop now in Portland.

Yeah. He had a post somewhere. People shitted on his work but I am sure he will get better. All tattooers start out that way. I’d just wait a couple of years for his work to progress, but watch he charges more. 
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin

straight fucking edge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -168
« Reply #1766 on: November 09, 2020, 04:18:30 AM »
finally got an appointment with jef whitehead at the end of this month
i don't want to link to the channel because is promotes athiesm.

Sanka Coffie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 251
  • The best push-cart driver in all of Jamaica
« Reply #1767 on: November 09, 2020, 07:07:02 AM »
https://www.instagram.com/p/CHJlMU4lEqW/

My buddy Jeff touched up this one he did a few months ago.

theSketchLord

• Rep: 41
    • https://images.scribblelive.com/2021/1/4/ca9a0ca8-586d-41e3-ad94-131825707ea0.gif avatar image
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1768 on: December 15, 2020, 03:56:43 AM »
Anyone got any traditional hand poke tattoos?
I've got a decent amount of tattoos but am finding my pain threshold waning as I get older.

Found a dude that does them (he actually just designed the new Fast Times Shop shirts) and pretty keen, wanted to get some info regarding pain, timeframes etc.
Looking at filling in a few spots on the arm but eventually wanna get something on the old noggin.
"Broke the tail, like a well oiled snail"

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1137
  • old and in the way
« Reply #1769 on: December 15, 2020, 09:28:21 AM »
Anyone got any traditional hand poke tattoos?
I've got a decent amount of tattoos but am finding my pain threshold waning as I get older.

Found a dude that does them (he actually just designed the new Fast Times Shop shirts) and pretty keen, wanted to get some info regarding pain, timeframes etc.
Looking at filling in a few spots on the arm but eventually wanna get something on the old noggin.

I think if you rub lidocaine into your arm it'll reduce the pain to a more manageable level but some brands leave a filmy residue and you can't do stick and poke on it.