Author Topic: anyone got ink? tattoos that is....  (Read 361139 times)

WobbleHeadBob

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 80
Re: anyone got ink? tattoos that is....
« Reply #1770 on: December 15, 2020, 01:10:22 PM »
Anyone got any traditional hand poke tattoos?
I've got a decent amount of tattoos but am finding my pain threshold waning as I get older.

Found a dude that does them (he actually just designed the new Fast Times Shop shirts) and pretty keen, wanted to get some info regarding pain, timeframes etc.
Looking at filling in a few spots on the arm but eventually wanna get something on the old noggin.

I stick n poked my own foot a couple months ago - it sucked then it fell out haha
I had my buddy poke a scythe on my knee, its solid but it took a fuckload more time than a machine would have.
 if pain is the only thing putting you in the pokey direction i wouldnt bother ..the pain of either method is temporary

go for the one you think looks better dude cos at the end of the day thats what matters most

Eggie Vedder

• Rep: 32
« Reply #1771 on: December 15, 2020, 08:49:29 PM »
I've got a decent amount of tattoos but am finding my pain threshold waning as I get older.

Found a dude that does them (he actually just designed the new Fast Times Shop shirts) and pretty keen, wanted to get some info regarding pain, timeframes etc.
Looking at filling in a few spots on the arm but eventually wanna get something on the old noggin.
I did some stick and pokes on my legs a few years ago and they are still pretty dark. It took forever and definitely hurt more than a machine. I was probably going to hard though since I was worried it’d fall out.  It may be less painful than my experience from a professional but I still think you should just go with what you think would look best. Especially if the spots you’re filling aren’t that big.

Burt Ward

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 499
« Reply #1772 on: December 15, 2020, 10:31:17 PM »

I have these. Jason Molina tattoo I gave myself. Went over it like 3 times. pain was fine. I know it's super sketchy. I'm good with that. I was indeed drunk the first time around. The one below is a very drunken attempt at a cigarette that a mate did. Even sketchier. Fast Times you say. You in AUS? If so, Melbourne? If you are, I know of a very good stick and poke artist. She's pretty incredible. This is her. https://www.instagram.com/lucyctattoos/
Now, we used to say we put on our tights to put on the world. So I don't think it tarnishes the image at all.

Anton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 97
    • Blog avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.

helpplease

• Rep: 0
« Reply #1774 on: December 26, 2020, 08:33:03 PM »

I have a hand poke on the outside of my bicep that's about 2x3 inches and includes some shading, detailed bits, and color blocks. Took about 2-3 hours I think and I was relaxed the entire time. A handful of times I felt a touch of pain, but I was actually bummed when the artist finished because it felt sort of good. It's my only tattoo, so I don't have anything to compare it to, and I'm not sure if my experience is the norm.

The real veganshawn

• Rep: 81
  • What the fuck was that
« Reply #1775 on: December 27, 2020, 03:17:18 PM »
Cocteau Twins

The real veganshawn

• Rep: 81
  • What the fuck was that
« Reply #1776 on: December 27, 2020, 03:18:39 PM »
Lost my mom in October, got this for her
Cocteau Twins

Anton

• SLAP Pal
    • Blog avatar image

BallDontLie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 672
« Reply #1778 on: January 21, 2021, 04:47:20 AM »
Great stuff as always, man. I really like the web with the face.
if the mods were wu-tang, dean would be cappadonna

Grind King Rims

« Reply #1779 on: January 21, 2021, 02:27:38 PM »
I mean I've got a fair amount of hand poke tattoos but I don't know if they're traditional? They're traditional in the sense that they look like shit (I love them).

Anton

• SLAP Pal
    • Blog avatar image
« Reply #1780 on: January 23, 2021, 11:31:36 AM »
Great stuff as always, man. I really like the web with the face.

thanks! I try my best

Pete

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 755
  • Free Max B
« Reply #1781 on: January 23, 2021, 12:10:11 PM »
Anton if tattooing in the states ever gets back to normal and youre doing a guest spot in NYC keep me posted. Your work is amazing man, definitely down to grab something.

im covered in american traditional pieces ranging from complete bullshit to a few decent pieces. Have a couple homies who got into it at a young age. been getting meaningless tattoos in kitchens and well established shops both since 06. still got some space on my right arm and ill do something on the back of my head at somepoint.

managed to stay away from stick and pokes. some people have cool ones and in recent years especially on social media ive seen the bar raised for sure. but for the most part nah not for me.

havent gotten a single tattoo since i got clean though so actually having to deal with the pain again should be fun.

free max b
FREE MAX B

DirtyBurger

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 116
« Reply #1782 on: January 23, 2021, 03:20:19 PM »
I've got a lot of dumb tattoos, but my favorite is when I was blacked out and we all decided to get stick and pokes. Everyone else got like smiley faces or whatever and pretty much instantly got them covered up. I decided to be a champ and keep mine. I've met Frank Gerwer a few times at I have no way of showing him this without sounding like a stalker.

I also may or may not have a skate warehouse tattoo that I really like.

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1351
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1783 on: January 23, 2021, 03:31:34 PM »
Anton if tattooing in the states ever gets back to normal and youre doing a guest spot in NYC keep me posted. Your work is amazing man, definitely down to grab something.

im covered in american traditional pieces ranging from complete bullshit to a few decent pieces. Have a couple homies who got into it at a young age. been getting meaningless tattoos in kitchens and well established shops both since 06. still got some space on my right arm and ill do something on the back of my head at somepoint.

managed to stay away from stick and pokes. some people have cool ones and in recent years especially on social media ive seen the bar raised for sure. but for the most part nah not for me.

havent gotten a single tattoo since i got clean though so actually having to deal with the pain again should be fun.

free max b

ya man, similar situation. Homie started apprenticing in 04 and I let him go to town. back then everyone was on OCs and most of the work wasn't very good so we're in the process of designing a traditional cover up(s) for my front body- belly rocker, hip to hip piece, chest piece and maybe the light whole rib piece another dude did on dope that looks like shit. I threw the ideas of some sorta snake/cobra coiled down on the bottom, head up top. Maybe a wolf head. Traditional hasn't really been my thing but it will look clean covering up
If you plant ice, you’re gonna harvest wind

friendly dave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 719
  • grinding to a halt
    • grindingtoahalt avatar image
« Reply #1784 on: January 23, 2021, 03:38:55 PM »
I've got a lot of dumb tattoos, but my favorite is when I was blacked out and we all decided to get stick and pokes. Everyone else got like smiley faces or whatever and pretty much instantly got them covered up. I decided to be a champ and keep mine. I've met Frank Gerwer a few times at I have no way of showing him this without sounding like a stalker.

I also may or may not have a skate warehouse tattoo that I really like.

Amazing.
Because you can't kill and idea, and we will not be ruled!

the visuals are also mad visual yo
FTW

Gnarfunkell

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 131
« Reply #1785 on: January 23, 2021, 04:14:07 PM »
My contribution to the stick and pokes:

Anton

• SLAP Pal
    • Blog avatar image
« Reply #1786 on: January 24, 2021, 03:41:47 AM »

free max b

I really hope that its gonna be possible to travel again soon! Im fortunate enough that I've been able to work during the whole pandemic (living in Sweden with no lockdowns). But it starting to get real stale to just work in my city. 

straight fucking edge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -168
« Reply #1787 on: January 24, 2021, 02:52:45 PM »

free max b

post some up
i don't want to link to the channel because is promotes athiesm.

Mesteezo

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Rep: 65
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #1788 on: February 20, 2021, 12:01:14 AM »
Just got this done right now, pretty stoked how it turned out especially since it was my first time getting a piece drawn on freehand. Ink by @eyor_thefrostbitten   on IG

eranka

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 203
« Reply #1789 on: February 20, 2021, 12:39:03 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I think if you rub lidocaine into your arm it'll reduce the pain to a more manageable level but some brands leave a filmy residue and you can't do stick and poke on it.
Just got this done on my thigh a few weeks ago. took about 10 hours

stick and poke hurt way less in the start, but after getting poked for about 5 hours it gets really uncomfortable and sensitive. in the second session we put some lidocaine on it after a couple of hours to see if it helps with how sensitive it started to feel and it did leave a film on the skin making it longer to poke so i wouldnt recommend, just take breaks and breath in deep.
smaller tattoos might be a better idea for a poked tattoo,and even though im really stoked about how it turned out and about the experience i really dont want to sit for 10 hours again any time soon.

WobbleHeadBob

« Reply #1790 on: February 20, 2021, 02:45:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

I think if you rub lidocaine into your arm it'll reduce the pain to a more manageable level but some brands leave a filmy residue and you can't do stick and poke on it.
[close]
Just got this done on my thigh a few weeks ago. took about 10 hours

stick and poke hurt way less in the start, but after getting poked for about 5 hours it gets really uncomfortable and sensitive. in the second session we put some lidocaine on it after a couple of hours to see if it helps with how sensitive it started to feel and it did leave a film on the skin making it longer to poke so i wouldnt recommend, just take breaks and breath in deep.
smaller tattoos might be a better idea for a poked tattoo,and even though im really stoked about how it turned out and about the experience i really dont want to sit for 10 hours again any time soon.

holy fuck, 10 hours!?

TheLowerBack

• Rep: 171
  • GTU/FWD
« Reply #1791 on: February 20, 2021, 11:10:21 PM »

Got my ribs tapped in Thailand about ten years ago. In my top five most painful tattoos. Stick and pokes take forever and fuckin hurt. Stick with machines and deal with it. All tattoos suck. Pain is momentary, stoke is eternal.

TheLowerBack

• GTU/FWD
« Reply #1792 on: February 20, 2021, 11:16:23 PM »
https://www.instagram.com/p/CJ473-4BNTk/?igshid=s9p1zep9glw8

Most recent one. In memorian of smooching my dude’s for dope tricks. I can’t wait to kiss my friends again. 

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 75
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #1793 on: February 22, 2021, 03:45:22 AM »
Got a little traditional/ Japanese swallow done the other week, only took 1.5 hours which felt like a walk in the park after doing 4 x 4 hour sessions for my half sleeve
« Last Edit: February 22, 2021, 06:41:21 PM by Gay Imp Sausage Metal »

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

animalflesh

« Reply #1794 on: February 22, 2021, 10:31:10 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Got my ribs tapped in Thailand about ten years ago. In my top five most painful tattoos. Stick and pokes take forever and fuckin hurt. Stick with machines and deal with it. All tattoos suck. Pain is momentary, stoke is eternal.

Ouch

Done pic?

Anton

• SLAP Pal
    • Blog avatar image

WobbleHeadBob

« Reply #1796 on: February 27, 2021, 10:39:19 AM »
absolutely killing it Anton!

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1797 on: February 27, 2021, 12:50:59 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Where were the other 4?

When I got my chest done last year, I originally was going to get my ribs and chest tattooed but I backed out like bitch. Like I just convinced myself that I couldn't do that much ink around my ribs area. I also feel the last couple of tattoos I got hurt more and in areas that I didn't really think it would. Wonder if getting older has to do with my pain tolerance diminishing.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

TheLowerBack

• GTU/FWD
« Reply #1798 on: February 27, 2021, 02:57:02 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Where were the other 4?

When I got my chest done last year, I originally was going to get my ribs and chest tattooed but I backed out like bitch. Like I just convinced myself that I couldn't do that much ink around my ribs area. I also feel the last couple of tattoos I got hurt more and in areas that I didn't really think it would. Wonder if getting older has to do with my pain tolerance diminishing.
*TLDR tattoos fuggin hurt
Haha. They don’t get any easier. Everything on the torso is the worst.
No particular order-
On the center of my torso I have a coat of arms that is very black. Three sessions, second one I had a chest cold and homie was hammering at my sternum. I tapped after 45 minutes. The floating ribs feel atrocious.
Sides of hands. Had to get em done twice as the first session fell out and(at least for me) it hurts way worse going over a tattoo. Even though it was around a half hour it was straight misery. On the second session, after he finished, he had to go over one of the first lines which is on the side of my pinky knuckle. Three of the worst seconds of my life.
I have a large Pharaoh’s Horses on my stomach that goes beneath the belt line. Insanely tender and made my guts feel gross. Put four sessions on that one. Stupid.
Got a pirate ship taking up my entire shin when I was like 21. Also very black. Dude was super heavy handed and a chain smoker. Took a smoke break every half hour. Each time it’d be more swollen and raw raw. By the time he busted out the rake for the heavy black, I was like half an inch swollen. Only time I’ve cried from a tattoo. Took four hours when it could’ve taken two.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
« Reply #1799 on: February 27, 2021, 05:00:05 PM »

I got a traditional one in Japan. He came recommended from a friend and could do what I wanted. I layed down on a futon in his apartment and he just sat beside me and worked. The outline of the tat was done by gun, and I’d forgotten how painful it was, I was almost ready to tap out.

But when he did the fill he switched to the traditional technique, using needles attacked to a stick like a paintbrush. It was fine, I could have read a book while he did it. The tattooist also says hand poke is better for the skin and it heals better.

Here’s his insta if you wanna see what it’s like.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CKP6GHrlEno/?igshid=sccx3wgqu861
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea