Author Topic: post your religion and why  (Read 13229 times)

Prison Wallet

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 510
  • I'm gonna break my leg off in your ass
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: post your religion and why
« Reply #150 on: March 31, 2009, 10:12:55 PM »
I never said there wasn't a paradigm shift, it was a whole new contract via God incarnate.
That's pretty much all I was trying to illustrate.

It's all good though--just healthy conversation. It's kind of cool because I was a lot more tentative in my thoughts about the Grace/Law in respect to the Jewish/Christian traditions but now in my mind it's a little more concrete.

But I don't think the throw a verse back and forth is the only way to debate theology. It's like rote memorization in academics; kind of shallow. In my mind the characters/stories/books of the bible hold more meaning than key words and verses.

I enjoy the debate but it's weird I'm here representing Christianity. I'm sure the majority of self proclaimed Christians would say I'm full of shit or lukewarm. I openly take and leave what I want from the religion.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 10:20:14 PM by Prison Wallet »

grimcity

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2214
  • computer says no
« Reply #151 on: March 31, 2009, 10:41:20 PM »
Careful, if you're not hot or cold then Jesus will spit you out...

But yeah, I can relate. I was a geek about the intricacies, but for all intents I still did what I wanted to. I basically rationalized everything down for myself until I found that I had rationalized it away completely.

Prison Wallet

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #152 on: April 01, 2009, 06:42:08 AM »
Careful, if you're not hot or cold then Jesus will spit you out...

Yeah that's a fanatical favorite for judging people. Isn't that from Revelations? Now there's a really practical book for life application.

It's funny 'cause the crowd who quotes that verse is the same crowd who focusses on the two or three verses about homosexuality and (what they claim applies to) abortion, but ignores issues of poverty and social justice. Which is such a recurring theme in the gospel.   

Man, most people do what they want regardless of religion. Even the fanatics. Me too but I try to treat people right and want some higher ideal to work towards. But honestly Christianity just kind of grounds me, it's the world view I was raised with. I like the stories and ideals, the history and traditions. And I definitely believe in things unseen.

grimcity

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2214
  • computer says no
« Reply #153 on: April 01, 2009, 07:56:45 AM »
I can't knock that... the only time I get peeved is when people try to explain away reality (evolution, homosexuals are regular people, etc) by taking interpretations of their holy book and trying to deny things that we know to be factually accurate (or use scripture to justify hate and prejudice). Zealots in general (fanatics like you said)... there are plenty of atheist zealots as well, which I find more annoying than theistic ones.

One thing I find here (here in Louisiana, not on Slap) though is that my lack of belief is is seen as an affront or condemnation of Christianity. Some cats equate atheism with evil-puppy-killing-Satanloving when it's just so far from that.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #154 on: April 01, 2009, 09:02:26 AM »

Some cats equate atheism with evil-puppy-killing-Satanloving when it's just so far from that.

That's part of the brainwashing. The concept that one cannot be moral without religion is drilled into the head of followers. No religion= no morality to them.
It's kind of scary, you think that the people who believe that would be rapist murderers without the bible?
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

Bipsmound

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 803
    • Turd Magazine avatar image
« Reply #155 on: April 01, 2009, 10:27:50 AM »
Yo dawg, r u down with ma stink chisel? 

LesbianPUNCH

« Reply #156 on: April 01, 2009, 03:30:07 PM »
For me, there is truth in all religion, because it all comes from the same place.  despite the bullshit details, all theologies share one common bond:  the golden rule.  treat others the way you would like to be treated.  Either you're walking in love or you're not.  dwelling on the fine details and getting into lame arguments debating unproveable nonsense will only separate human beings even further.  if you actually "get it," wether you're a christian, atheist, muslim, or whatever, you will live all poeple as you love yourself.

Prison Wallet

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #157 on: April 01, 2009, 04:02:59 PM »
Expand Quote

Some cats equate atheism with evil-puppy-killing-Satanloving when it's just so far from that.
[close]

That's part of the brainwashing. The concept that one cannot be moral without religion is drilled into the head of followers. No religion= no morality to them.
It's kind of scary, you think that the people who believe that would be rapist murderers without the bible?

That small mindedness transcends not just religion but almost all social fabrics/cultures. It's the whole with us/against us mentality that seems like a human trait/defense mechanism on some levels.

Personally I'd rather live in a neighborhood full of kind atheists than Christian zealots. And on the other end of the spectrum I'd take a bunch of ultra-conservatives who are good neighbors over self-righteous liberals (even though I'm pretty damn socially liberal).

But the brainwashing goes both ways--not all Christians are Pat Robertsons, think the world was created 4000 years ago, and vote Republican.