Author Topic: heavy metal thread  (Read 275692 times)

GnarlesManson

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -118
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: heavy metal thread
« Reply #930 on: October 25, 2012, 06:07:44 PM »
im gonna have the most metal weekend ever, earth tomorrow night, then converge with torche, kvlertak and nails 2 nights in a row(first night with dangers next night with ACxDC)

Beer Keg Peg Leg

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -35
« Reply #931 on: October 26, 2012, 06:48:35 PM »
any chance one of you guys could upload the covers and the short story from the new pig destroyer? my local store isn't getting the deluxe edition in :(

Beer Keg Peg Leg

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #932 on: October 27, 2012, 06:39:34 PM »
thx bromosexual, did you get my pm?

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 383
« Reply #933 on: November 01, 2012, 02:53:16 PM »
HATE!, can I tell you how happy I am that you used "hanged" instead of "hung?" Well done.

Here's part 3 of the One Man Metal documentary that Vice was putting out:

http://www.vice.com/en_ca/noisey-vbs/one-man-metal-part-3

Didn't realize how long ago this was filmed. I think it would be kind of cool to do a follow-up with Wrest about life post-TT,TW. And I remember Metal Archives mentioning that they are 4 unreleased, but completed Lurker of Chalice full lengths, so I wonder if we'll ever see those. Kind of cool to hear some backstory about that though.

ToLiveaLie

• Rep: -1
« Reply #934 on: November 02, 2012, 09:48:28 PM »
It irks the fuck out of me when people say "hung" in reference to a hanging.

The wide dynamic mix of Book Burner is the shit.  Sounds awesome on good speakers.

Loved the doc.  Scott Conner aka "Malefic" is an interesting dude.  He really lives that shit.

I am biased to Jef Whitehead.  I love everything he does and his tattooing is fantastic..... someday....

Dude from Striborg has always rubbed me wrong.  Fucking nerd shit right there.

Oh come on, ALL Black Metal is nerd shit! I'm not saying that in a derogatory manner (fuck, I am one), some of it is great, but it's total nerd music. Thanks for bringing this doc to light, Leviathan and Xasthur 2 of the very few contemporary Black Metal bands I enjoy.

BRIX SKWIKZ

« Reply #935 on: November 02, 2012, 10:09:44 PM »

ToLiveaLie

« Reply #936 on: November 03, 2012, 11:54:22 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

The wide dynamic mix of Book Burner is the shit.  Sounds awesome on good speakers.

Loved the doc.  Scott Conner aka "Malefic" is an interesting dude.  He really lives that shit.

I am biased to Jef Whitehead.  I love everything he does and his tattooing is fantastic..... someday....

[close]

Oh come on, ALL Black Metal is nerd shit! I'm not saying that in a derogatory manner (fuck, I am one), some of it is great, but it's total nerd music. Thanks for bringing this doc to light, Leviathan and Xasthur 2 of the very few contemporary Black Metal bands I enjoy.
[close]

I see what you're saying, and I do agree (especially as I'm into this nerd shit as well), but at the same time, after viewing that- Whitehead is a dude who like to do art and make music and isn't too interested in waiting on, or being around, people.  Scott Conner is a depressed misanthropist.  Dude from Striborg wanders around the woods, in a cape, listening to trees breathe.

There's a difference in there.

I definitely see the difference. I kind of see Leviathan and Xasthur as an evolution of Black Metal, whereas ass clowns like that are simply trying to ape the past as much as possible. Do I think that he actually believes that he can hear the trees breathe? No. Just a prop. I guess it's better than all of that art-school-Black Metal bullshit out nowadays, but still...
I caught some off vibes from Malefic throughout the whole thing and his was definitely the part I focused the most on. Whitehead seemed much more  accepting of the world around him (cool to find out he created the Thunder logo), Malefic genuinely seemed like he sat in his room and played music all of the time hating his life. Also, if you would've told me 6 years ago that he was a bald dude who rocked an LA Kings hat, I would've told you to fuck off.

BRIX SKWIKZ

« Reply #937 on: November 03, 2012, 12:43:06 PM »
I CAN HEAR THE TREES BREATH ;D

Beer Keg Peg Leg

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #938 on: November 07, 2012, 02:10:49 AM »
http://www.vice.com/en_au/read/i-punched-danzig-in-the-face?utm_source=vicefb

interview with the dude who punched danzig in that one youtube video hahaha

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #939 on: November 11, 2012, 08:06:40 PM »
A few people have mentioned them, but does anyone know how many albums ACxDC has released and names? I'm clueless about finding discographies for bands not on Metal Archives.

EDIT: And to contribute, here's Yac?ps?  a grind/powerviolence band from Germany

« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 08:13:22 PM by oyolar »

Beer Keg Peg Leg

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #940 on: November 12, 2012, 03:59:56 AM »
he had it coming
the second coming

pretty sure they are the only ones

theres a new one coming out soon i think as well...maybe its a split i can't remember

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #941 on: November 12, 2012, 08:51:13 AM »
Haha. Yeah, once I posted that question, I found their bandcamp profile with all of their releases on it. Getting into grindcore and stuff coming from a hardcore/punk has been more difficult to negotiate since it's such common practice to release an ungodly amount of unique EPs, demos, and splits. Some metals bands are that way (e.g. Leviathan), but it's not as common.

EDIT: I also finally found online listings to order all three Unholy Matrimony's releases. I've been looking for them for years but they're fairly rare releases. It's a one man black metal band from the same guy who does Mirrorthrone and Weeping Birth. Mirrorthrone is one of my favorite bands and Weeping Birth's Anosognosic Industry of the I is great, so I'm excited for these three.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 11:02:51 AM by oyolar »

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #942 on: November 14, 2012, 09:43:13 PM »

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #943 on: November 15, 2012, 06:48:06 AM »
Those songs are awfully long for a grind album...

But I'll listen to it once I get a chance. The write-up makes it sound very interesting. I really want to start a grind band with very prominent noise/electronic/industrial atmosphere elements (I mean like how Blut Aus Nord incorporates those elements and even some influence from this aggrotech band I really like), so this intrigues me.

Speaking of-does anyone know a good place to get Ableton? I've heard that it's tricky to torrent without being tracked. And Luke-if this grind band actually happens, I might ask you to enhance the logo idea I have.

Won my first eBay auction today so I'm waiting for all three Unholy Matrimony CDs to get shipped to me.

Bobby Peru

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 610
    • Community Push avatar image
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #944 on: November 15, 2012, 10:45:30 AM »
http://bargetohell.com/home.htm

Do you guys know about this shit? It's a five day Bahamas cruise/music fest on this fucking ship

featuring At The Gates, Municipal Waste, Napalm Death, and lots more.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #945 on: November 16, 2012, 09:59:47 AM »
Full of Hell put on a great set last night.

HATE!-Ableton is a music programming/producing software. I guess a lot of DJs use it because it's very detailed when it comes to drum patterns (my buddy DJs as a hobby and downloaded it so that's how I know about it). Like, you can control a bunch of extra effects to make the drums sound exactly like you need, which I guess most other softwares, except for drum machines, don't have. My buddy's and I are planning on using it for our grind band and my friend keeps forgetting to burn me a copy of it and walk me through the proper way to open it.

jack burton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
« Reply #946 on: November 21, 2012, 02:43:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I see what you're saying, and I do agree (especially as I'm into this nerd shit as well), but at the same time, after viewing that- Whitehead is a dude who like to do art and make music and isn't too interested in waiting on, or being around, people.  Scott Conner is a depressed misanthropist.  Dude from Striborg wanders around the woods, in a cape, listening to trees breathe.

There's a difference in there.

Yo hate do you know anymore of the story about Whitehead and the rape charges? I know it says in OMM he was found not guilty but have heard mixed things from other people.

jack burton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
« Reply #947 on: November 21, 2012, 09:19:08 PM »
I had been searching on the web for a more in depth article but everything I found was just allegations. As rad as his tattooing and music is I couldn't feel comfortable sporting Leviathan shit if it was in fact true. Those are some pretty hard accusations to rid your name of.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #948 on: November 21, 2012, 09:30:30 PM »
I had been searching on the web for a more in depth article but everything I found was just allegations. As rad as his tattooing and music is I couldn't feel comfortable sporting Leviathan shit if it was in fact true. Those are some pretty hard accusations to rid your name of.

People have this debate all the time about separating the person from the work (think Burzum and NSBM bands). From what I gather is that it wasn't a healthy relationship and I remember reading an article with the guys from Nachtmystium saying that the girl used to show up when they were recording and hit herself and stuff while threaten to call the cops on Wrest and (maybe) the other guys present.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #949 on: December 07, 2012, 08:24:51 PM »
Got all three of those Unholy Matrimony albums in within the past two weeks. I've been listening to them on high rotation and they're awesome. I'm just a big fan of everything Vladimir Cochet has put out (Mirrorthrone, Weeping Birth, Unholy Matrimony). And I think the fact that he has three different bands, all rooted in black metal, but different enough from one another that they warrant being a different band entirely, says a lot not only about him as a musician, but about black metal as a genre.

Speaking of-Debemur Morti Productions has hinted that they're working with Vindsval (of Blut Aus Nord) to re-release the CD from his band The Eye which was only made with 500 copies back in 1997. I hope this goes through because then I'd have all of Vindsval's major projects' releases. I found a super rare first pressing of Children of Maani's The Veil of Osiris randomly at Metal Haven before it closed and that has only 1,000 copies made.

BRIX SKWIKZ

« Reply #950 on: December 13, 2012, 09:58:20 AM »
 >:(

Lordata

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 23
  • Still Skating at 28, Hailey, Idaho area
« Reply #951 on: December 13, 2012, 11:20:47 AM »
A few people have mentioned them, but does anyone know how many albums ACxDC has released and names? I'm clueless about finding discographies for bands not on Metal Archives.

EDIT: And to contribute, here's Yac?ps?  a grind/powerviolence band from Germany

From the looks of this, 15 LPs and plenty of live albums.
http://www.sputnikmusic.com/bands/AC-DC/100/

Filip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -57
« Reply #952 on: December 15, 2012, 01:42:59 PM »
One of my favourite bands:

ToLiveaLie

« Reply #953 on: December 15, 2012, 06:26:01 PM »
Here's my top 20 albums of the year.

http://www.lukephysioc.com/blog/top-20-albums-of-2012/

Seer in fact was the best record of this year, despite the stupid cover art.

midwestmiddleman

• Rep: -88
  • Pantheistprowler
« Reply #954 on: December 17, 2012, 01:06:24 AM »
One of my favourite bands:

Nice my friends showed me them yesterday. that song in particular.
 ;)

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 156
« Reply #955 on: December 17, 2012, 10:06:25 PM »
http://www.kzum.org/

My buddy is currently doing his xmas metal show. Listen live.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #956 on: December 25, 2012, 06:10:39 PM »
Any good Christmas halls? I asked for so many CDs but for some reason only my sister bought me any. I got Nasum's Inhale/Exhale, Pig Destroyer's 38 Counts of Battery, and Deathspell Omega's Si Monumentum Requires, Circumspice.

BRIX SKWIKZ

« Reply #957 on: December 28, 2012, 04:36:14 PM »

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #958 on: December 29, 2012, 08:18:18 PM »
What a horribly misleading name.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #959 on: January 01, 2013, 10:04:32 PM »
I also picked up the new Anaal Nathrakh album Vanitas. It's very strange. There are a few industrial, maybe even electronica, sections on the album, kind of similar to how they would add more symphonic sections on their earliest records. It's not too out of place since they've always had some industrial influences, but they're more apparent now, even if it's just at certain points. And they've simultaneously written one of their creepiest songs ("Feeding the Beast") and two rather formulaic ones that I never would have expected them to write ("You Can't Save Me, So Stop Fucking Trying" and "A Metaphor for the Dead"). Still have to listen to it a few times.