Author Topic: heavy metal thread  (Read 275731 times)

oyolar

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 383
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: heavy metal thread
« Reply #210 on: December 26, 2009, 12:04:23 PM »
It's not taking umbrage, it's the fact that a lot of those bands suck.

Alaska

• Rep: -65
« Reply #211 on: December 26, 2009, 05:31:05 PM »

Uh, he didn't say shit about the music. He criticized them for being available at the mall. I'm sure if you were asked to elaborate on why you don't like those bands, you would something along the lines of "they wear pretty clothes and scene kids like them."

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #212 on: December 26, 2009, 08:28:18 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Uh, he didn't say shit about the music. He criticized them for being available at the mall. I'm sure if you were asked to elaborate on why you don't like those bands, you would something along the lines of "they wear pretty clothes and scene kids like them."

No. I would say that Children of Bodom is the only one I like and that's because they're one of the first metal bands I listened to, but even their newer stuff has been lacking in the complexity and speed that attracted me to them in the first place. The other bands listed I have a hard time even calling pure metal. Most of the last two lists are very distinctly metalcore. BMTH has absolutely nothing interesting to their music. Their lyrics and vocals are weak at best and they, along with Job for a Cowboy (another band who seems to believe that growls and pig squeals are the only metal vocals and by using them you are automatically metal, regardless of whether they are done well or add anything to the song-a criticism I have for Annotations of an Autopsy) rely almost exclusively on placing nothing but breakdowns through their songs every minute or so because they know they are not interesting enough to build up to anything or hold the attention of experienced metalheads. The Black Dahlia Murder, ignoring their vocal flaws, write their songs with the idea that complex time signatures are a clear and easy path towards being heavy. I just don't like Arch Enemy but I cannot really say why. Winds of Plague, aside from their regular looking lead singer (a complaint I also have for Suicide Silence), does not know how to effectively use their sparse symphonic and classical influences with everything else they try to do. Meanwhile, their songs without neo-classical aspects sound like copies of Suicide Silence (the vocals are different at least) and all the other metalcore/deathcore bands that have ever existed-a complaint I have with all metalcore bands including the ones you and blatablatblau have listed. Eternal Tears of Sorrow sounds like Graveworm (their early material), and I just happen to prefer Graveworm. Arsis-I just got bored listening to, but I'll have to give them another listen sometime, just not in the mood for that kind of music right now. SOOOOOOOOOOOOO, was that an effective explanation as to why I and others dislike those bands? I mean, along with they fact that they wear pretty regular clothes and scene kids like them?

sparksandblood

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 55
« Reply #213 on: December 26, 2009, 09:35:58 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

No. I would say that Children of Bodom is the only one I like and that's because they're one of the first metal bands I listened to, but even their newer stuff has been lacking in the complexity and speed that attracted me to them in the first place. The other bands listed I have a hard time even calling pure metal. Most of the last two lists are very distinctly metalcore. BMTH has absolutely nothing interesting to their music. Their lyrics and vocals are weak at best and they, along with Job for a Cowboy (another band who seems to believe that growls and pig squeals are the only metal vocals and by using them you are automatically metal, regardless of whether they are done well or add anything to the song-a criticism I have for Annotations of an Autopsy) rely almost exclusively on placing nothing but breakdowns through their songs every minute or so because they know they are not interesting enough to build up to anything or hold the attention of experienced metalheads. The Black Dahlia Murder, ignoring their vocal flaws, write their songs with the idea that complex time signatures are a clear and easy path towards being heavy. I just don't like Arch Enemy but I cannot really say why. Winds of Plague, aside from their regular looking lead singer (a complaint I also have for Suicide Silence), does not know how to effectively use their sparse symphonic and classical influences with everything else they try to do. Meanwhile, their songs without neo-classical aspects sound like copies of Suicide Silence (the vocals are different at least) and all the other metalcore/deathcore bands that have ever existed-a complaint I have with all metalcore bands including the ones you and blatablatblau have listed. Eternal Tears of Sorrow sounds like Graveworm (their early material), and I just happen to prefer Graveworm. Arsis-I just got bored listening to, but I'll have to give them another listen sometime, just not in the mood for that kind of music right now. SOOOOOOOOOOOOO, was that an effective explanation as to why I and others dislike those bands? I mean, along with they fact that they wear pretty regular clothes and scene kids like them?

This is what my post should of said, spot on.
It was seriously like seeing Jesus on a skateboard.

sparksandblood

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #214 on: December 27, 2009, 09:46:21 AM »

I hope someone gets as stoked on this as I did.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #215 on: December 27, 2009, 03:09:13 PM »
HATE!, I just went to this metal themed burger restaurant in Chicago with my dad and their burger of the month was called the Eyehategod and it was awesome. I figured you would like to know that.

sparksandblood

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #216 on: December 28, 2009, 09:34:26 AM »
What is the name of the place, Chicago isn't too far of a drive especially for a metal burger resturant

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #217 on: December 28, 2009, 10:54:14 AM »
It's called Kuma's Corner. It's fucking amazing food and they have the best mussels in Chicago. But for a head's up-it's not a place you jump into and have a burger. You have to show up, put your name on the list, they'll tell you how long you have to wait (the shortest is 30 min, but that's rare. I've waited 3 hours before on a Sat. night), and then you just chill and have a few beers (they have a great selection) and relax. It's a place you make a trip to.

sparksandblood

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #218 on: December 28, 2009, 11:00:23 AM »
That sounds awesome, I fucking love mussels too. Thanks for the info hopefully i can make it out there soon.

Dude Dudestofferson

• Rep: 73
« Reply #219 on: December 29, 2009, 12:22:19 PM »
hell yeah, Kuma's is infamous. I like spicy food, I wanna give the Plague Bringer a try.

if you go into Chicago for eats, though, don't forget about Hot Doug's!
that's supposedly the other can't-miss spot.
www.hotdougs.com

Bobby Peru

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 610
    • Community Push avatar image
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #220 on: December 29, 2009, 11:22:54 PM »
I've made two unsuccessful trips to Kuma's due to long waits and not being 21 yet. Now that I am, I need to go there next time I'm in Chicago.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #221 on: December 30, 2009, 09:52:30 AM »
No matter what the wait was, just sit through it man. It's definitely worth it. But like I said, be prepared to wait and make sure you don't have to somewhere to be.

miguelsk8

« Reply #222 on: January 02, 2010, 08:43:52 AM »
AC/DC; Arch Enemy; children of bodom; chimaira; cradle of filth; deftones; disturbed; dream theater; godsmack; incubus; KoRn; MACHINE HEAD; metallica; mudvayne; rage against the machine; whitechapel; suicide silence; trivium; kreator; slayer; in flames; down; arsis; burst; decapitated; devildriver; amon amarth; megadeth; mastodon; meshuggah; napalm death; pestilence; opeth; queens of the stone age; satyricon; testament; the haunted; the red shore; trap them; we are the damned;
(...metal...) \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/

BallDontLie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 678
« Reply #223 on: January 02, 2010, 11:52:01 AM »
uhhh anyways...

this blog has so many gems. Alot of raw Bone Awl-esque metal.

http://funeralstench.blogspot.com/?zx=22b230d4063cfa2f
if the mods were wu-tang, dean would be cappadonna

palmtree123

• Rep: -4
« Reply #224 on: January 03, 2010, 06:46:17 PM »
AC/DC; Arch Enemy; children of bodom; chimaira; cradle of filth; deftones; disturbed; dream theater; godsmack; incubus; KoRn; MACHINE HEAD; metallica; mudvayne; rage against the machine; whitechapel; suicide silence; trivium; kreator; slayer; in flames; down; arsis; burst; decapitated; devildriver; amon amarth; megadeth; mastodon; meshuggah; napalm death; pestilence; opeth; queens of the stone age; satyricon; testament; the haunted; the red shore; trap them; we are the damned;

....lol

ive been getting into some stonerrock/metal recently
bongzilla and witch are sick as fuck, a lot of heavy riffs. both sound somewhat similar to sabbath as well.

Dude Dudestofferson

« Reply #225 on: January 03, 2010, 10:10:39 PM »
new High On Fire, Snakes For The Divine, out late February. fuck yeah, Pike!
finally some new metal I can be stoked about.

Dude Dudestofferson

« Reply #226 on: January 03, 2010, 10:14:43 PM »
however, I'm listening to Kowloon Walled City Gambling On The Richter Scale right now and it's pretty killer.
kinda reminds me of prime-era Unsane, with muuuuch better vocals.

Dude Dudestofferson

« Reply #227 on: January 03, 2010, 10:20:13 PM »
you can download the Kowloon Walled City for free here: http://inthewalledcity.com/music/

sparksandblood

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #228 on: January 04, 2010, 06:42:37 AM »
Looks like Pentagram has some January shows lined up. Pretty fucking stoked!

January 2010 U.S. Tour Dates!
PENTAGRAM will be teaming up with The Gates of Slumber for a U.S. tour this January.

Jan. 15 - Springfield, VA - Jaxx
Jan. 16 - Philadelphia, PA - Polaris
Jan. 17 - New York, NY - B.B. King Blues Club
Jan. 18 - Richmond, VA - The Hat Factory
Jan. 21 - New Orleans, LA - The Howlin' Wolf
Jan. 23 - Atlanta, GA - The Masquerade
Jan. 26 - Des Moines, IA - Vaudeville Mews
Jan. 27 - Madison, WI - High Noon
Jan. 28 - Cleveland, OH - Peabody's
Jan. 29 - Detroit, MI - Blondie's
Jan. 30 - Chicago, IL - Empty Bottle

Dude Dudestofferson

« Reply #229 on: January 04, 2010, 04:47:39 PM »
Good call on the Kowloon... I really like them. Today all I've been listening to is the Jesus Lizard, Hammerhead, and Fudge Tunnel. Not exactly metal, but dirty as all hell.

you get to see TJL on this reunion tour? one of my all-time favorite bands, what a powerhouse.

TheFreshSC

« Reply #230 on: January 04, 2010, 05:06:47 PM »

i lyk metal 2! omg <3 u forgot mi fave band

oh and oli sykes is 2 hott <3

Acrid Avid Jam Shred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -156
« Reply #231 on: January 05, 2010, 08:24:07 PM »

I've been listening to black metal and it's amazing how it reminds me of shoegaze.

Burzum
Darkthrone
early Satyricon

all pretty great, you have to find that real early black metal sound though for it to be good.

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
« Reply #232 on: January 06, 2010, 12:13:46 PM »
^^When does that come out?

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
« Reply #233 on: January 06, 2010, 07:34:32 PM »
Awesome.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

Dude Dudestofferson

« Reply #234 on: January 07, 2010, 03:54:08 PM »
Sooooo fucking stoked for this

hell yeah, I just mentioned this up the page a bit.
between this and the mini Sleep tour,
it should be a radd year for Pike.
sickest dude ever!
High On Fire has never disappointed yet.

Mr. DNA

« Reply #235 on: January 07, 2010, 04:59:04 PM »
I had that dude in a Jr. College art class. I gave him a ride home a few times. He gave me Sleep Volume 1 on cassette and bought a Slurpee with his first royalty check. I was inot punk at the time and he told me to listen to Black Sabbath.

Moist

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 10
  • Deaf and Dumb
« Reply #236 on: January 09, 2010, 01:22:05 AM »
Can't get enough of this

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #237 on: January 09, 2010, 09:02:32 PM »
I ordered "The Mystical Beast of Rebellion" by Blut Aus Nord today! It's been out of print since like 2002 and once I get it I'll have BAN's complete discography. And it was only like $60 in great condition.

GnarlesManson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -118
« Reply #238 on: January 10, 2010, 08:22:16 PM »

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1172
« Reply #239 on: January 11, 2010, 08:19:01 AM »
been listening to a lot of Black Cobra (feat. one of the guys from Acid King)
hardly art, hardly starving