Author Topic: heavy metal thread  (Read 275781 times)

Dude Dudestofferson

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 73
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: heavy metal thread
« Reply #510 on: September 05, 2010, 04:26:37 AM »
Mastodon is yet another once killer metal band ruined by singing.
This last record has melodies that wouldn't be outta place on a fuckin' Alice In Chains record.
it's a proggy Alice In Chains record - what could be worse than that? ugh.
I also know people love it, but I always thought Brann Dailor was always WAY too over-the-top. it's all fills!
put down the fuckin' Yes and Genesis records, dudes!

and yeah, HATE!, he's the dude from Terror, right?
I like Nails a lot more than Terror.
my tastes in hardcore run almost exclusively to 80's shit.

Dude Dudestofferson

« Reply #511 on: September 05, 2010, 06:05:42 AM »
this is what I'm jamming today.

http://lambgoat.com/blog/view.aspx?id=279

Kowloon Walled City are one of the best bands going right now.

BallDontLie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 678
« Reply #512 on: September 05, 2010, 07:26:56 PM »
that black sabbath cover EP shreds
if the mods were wu-tang, dean would be cappadonna

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
« Reply #513 on: September 06, 2010, 01:15:07 AM »
It's because after Leviathan, that band went downhill
True.  But we'll always have the first two albums.  March of the Fire Ants is an undeniable track in my opion.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

FrenchFriedClownFingers

• Rep: 117
  • evensteven
« Reply #514 on: September 06, 2010, 05:05:08 PM »

and my guilty pleasure in metal

even the steven

Skwisgaar Skwigelf

• Rep: 10000
« Reply #515 on: September 06, 2010, 08:06:42 PM »

Nevermore is okay but I prefer Jeff Loomis when he's just solo.
or maybe its because your fist has to first be purified in the waters of lake minnetonka before it can touch dylons.

Scallywag crew!

GnarlesManson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -118
« Reply #516 on: September 06, 2010, 11:51:07 PM »
I SAW SLEEP SATURDAY NIGHT. I WIN THIS THREAD.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 262
  • tiger style
« Reply #517 on: September 07, 2010, 05:09:54 AM »
probably not gnar enough for you guys but really stoked on the new quest for fire

BallDontLie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 678
« Reply #518 on: September 07, 2010, 10:59:18 AM »
Real electric wizard-esque, but I love the vocals

if the mods were wu-tang, dean would be cappadonna

Dude Dudestofferson

« Reply #519 on: September 07, 2010, 04:56:35 PM »

I'M SEEING THEM FRIDAY. I CO-WIN.

Electric Wizard's last couple of records have not been so good. I'll still check it out, of course.

« Reply #520 on: September 07, 2010, 07:29:59 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I'M SEEING THEM FRIDAY. I CO-WIN.

Electric Wizard's last couple of records have not been so good. I'll still check it out, of course.
MONDAY

GnarlesManson

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #521 on: September 07, 2010, 10:32:39 PM »
New Electric Wizard- BLACK MASSES, comes out Nov. 1.
you know if you can preorder it yet? or anywhere online other than rise above that will have it?

GnarlesManson

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #522 on: September 08, 2010, 07:34:03 PM »
small picture . . but im going to this on saturday B)

via

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 239
« Reply #523 on: September 08, 2010, 08:28:12 PM »
Expand Quote
kind of forgot about pig destroyer for a minute, but i've been running through their stuff. it's still fucking heavy

[close]

My favorite band of all time followed very closely by Eyehategod.  There is no bad Pig Destroyer song.  My favorite is Trojan Whore or Naked Trees from Prowler In The Yard

EYEHATEGOD is THE best shit out.

also, anyone who lives in new york and didnt go see sleep and doomriders the other night, you fucking blew it.

heavy rotation lately has been:
the red scare
zoroaster
black cobra
weedeater

metsuri

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 16
« Reply #524 on: September 09, 2010, 02:42:12 AM »
small picture . . but im going to this on saturday B)

That looks like a great time. I've been digging the Nails - Unsilent Death -album. People have been going over it in this topic already but it is amazing. The songs are such primitive, grooving, bursts of energy.

Magrudergrind is killer as well. My band was supposed to open for them on one their Finnish shows this summer but they fuckin' canceled the whole Finnish part of the tour. Bummer.

sparksandblood

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 55
« Reply #525 on: September 09, 2010, 08:49:45 AM »
I met some dude yesterday who said he was going to the Sleep show in Chicago, reminding me that I cant go and i am pretty bummed about. I know some of you midwest dudes are going(dude dudemeoffjefferson or how ever you spell it, bobbyperu, etc.) anyway let us know how that shit goes.
It was seriously like seeing Jesus on a skateboard.

Skwisgaar Skwigelf

« Reply #526 on: September 11, 2010, 07:09:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Children of Bodom
Trivium
Black Label Society
Pantera
Amon Amarth
Job For A Cowboy
Metallica
Ozzy
Sabbath
Slayer
Lamb of God
Iron Maiden
Maylene and the Sons of Disaster

[close]

I see you focused your acct.  Regardless that is one of the most boring uninspired lists I have ever seen.  Sure, lots of good ones on there, but all safe.  Go experiment.
Oh my FUCK, I definitely deserved to get hazed. That is a very short and shitty list. I didn't know about as many bands back then.. I was less open-minded. But yeah, that was my old SLAP account. I can see how cheesy that list is now.
Funny how someone said "a few metalcore bands thrown in". Only metalcore band on there is Trivium. Either way, categorizing to that level needs to stop, it's a stupid fucking way for people to try to sound smart and act like that know what they're talking about when really it's just... metal. Simply metal. Enjoy it for what it is.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 07:14:51 PM by Skwisgaar Skwigelf »
or maybe its because your fist has to first be purified in the waters of lake minnetonka before it can touch dylons.

Scallywag crew!

GnarlesManson

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #527 on: September 11, 2010, 10:12:46 PM »
just got back from nails/trash talk/magrudergrind.
so sick. magrudergrind and nails killed it, trash talk was meh. it was free though which made it extra good.

TomTom

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 71
« Reply #528 on: September 12, 2010, 07:27:35 AM »
man HATE! You would've loved the beginnings of Hardcore/Metal when it turned into Metalcore here in Europe.
LIke Culture came over from Florida, Morning Again, Cahtarsis all those ddes came over and then all the kids here really got into it and started Shitloads of cool bands, for example in Belgium ( Congress, Liar) and later some german bands as well ( Marroon, Heaven shall burn, etc) that was a intense time.
Botch live was a fucking war!
Did the guitar dude do the two amps thing in which he played the first riff, looped it and then went in to the lead?
Fucking amazing band!

GnarlesManson

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #529 on: September 12, 2010, 09:43:21 AM »
Gnrles- that bill is awesome!  Why was Trash Talk only ok, I've seen them about 4 times and their shows are always a fun violent mess!  Nails and Magrudergrind though.... fuck.
trash talk wasent bad, just compared to the other 2 they werent as exciting for me. nails is still fresh, so its like a kick in the face(in a good way of course), and magrudergrind was just instense and i am familiar with their songs, which is always a plus.

on a sidenote, in california, the trashtalk fanbase is mostly 15yearolds who are discovering their first bands outside of hot topic(cant hate on them for growing up) doing dancing you'd probably see at a fall out boy show, and big guys who mosh with no consideration for the smaller dudes and girls which bums me out. im all for aggression and getting bruised up and losing your shoe, but being full on truly violent is just not cool. that being said, the mass of people closest to the stage were flying everywhere and people were singing along and all that cool stuff.

anyways, this is my next metal outing i have planned.
http://www.last.fm/event/1634861+Pelican+10th+Anniversary+Show
Pelican, Nails and Goatsnake

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 383
« Reply #530 on: September 12, 2010, 11:06:03 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Children of Bodom
Trivium
Black Label Society
Pantera
Amon Amarth
Job For A Cowboy
Metallica
Ozzy
Sabbath
Slayer
Lamb of God
Iron Maiden

[close]

I see you focused your acct.  Regardless that is one of the most boring uninspired lists I have ever seen.  Sure, lots of good ones on there, but all safe.  Go experiment.
[close]
Oh my FUCK, I definitely deserved to get hazed. That is a very short and shitty list. I didn't know about as many bands back then.. I was less open-minded. But yeah, that was my old SLAP account. I can see how cheesy that list is now.
Funny how someone said "a few metalcore bands thrown in". Only metalcore band on there is Trivium. Either way, categorizing to that level needs to stop, it's a stupid fucking way for people to try to sound smart and act like that know what they're talking about when really it's just... metal. Simply metal. Enjoy it for what it is.

You're an idiot. There are very valid and specific reasons why there are so many genres and subgenres. Suffocation and Blut Aus Nord are both metal, but they are so different from each other that saying they are both simply metal severely detracts from them, and in my opinions, is very disrespectful. Without all of the subgenres, you get one big cluster fuck. It's like people calling bands "indie." Two bands that sound nothing alike can both be indie? That makes no sense. The people that don't talk about genre usually cannot talk about genre and are not willing to put in the time to find unique bands that require further thought and explanation than "simply metal."

Skwisgaar Skwigelf

« Reply #531 on: September 12, 2010, 11:27:54 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Children of Bodom
Trivium
Black Label Society
Pantera
Amon Amarth
Job For A Cowboy
Metallica
Ozzy
Sabbath
Slayer
Lamb of God
Iron Maiden

[close]

[close]
[close]

You're an idiot. There are very valid and specific reasons why there are so many genres and subgenres. Suffocation and Blut Aus Nord are both metal, but they are so different from each other that saying they are both simply metal severely detracts from them, and in my opinions, is very disrespectful. Without all of the subgenres, you get one big cluster fuck. It's like people calling bands "indie." Two bands that sound nothing alike can both be indie? That makes no sense. The people that don't talk about genre usually cannot talk about genre and are not willing to put in the time to find unique bands that require further thought and explanation than "simply metal."

Jari Maenpaa, Wintersun's lead singer/guitarist called his band "Extreme Majestic Technical Epic Melodic Metal", in mockery of people like you. I won't categorize a band past heavy metal or death metal. It doesn't mean I don't know anything about metal, though. That's an extremely ignorant assumption to make. Actually, it means I'm a person who can enjoy bands for their music itself, instead of arguing about what genre they are like a bunch of nerds.

HATE!: I personally like Trivium, especially since the guitarist, Corey Beaulieu went to school with my brother and was friends with him. Corey's from Maine, as well. Same town, at that. Shogun is a terrible album though. Ascendancy and Ember to Inferno is their best.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 11:29:39 AM by Skwisgaar Skwigelf »

Scallywag crew!

Dude Dudestofferson

« Reply #532 on: September 12, 2010, 02:55:21 PM »
holy fucking shit, Sleep was INTENSE.
fucking ridiculous vibrations.

Skwisgaar Skwigelf

« Reply #533 on: September 12, 2010, 04:24:05 PM »
Probably seeing Children of Bodom, Black Label Society, and Clutch on Oct. 9th. FINALLY something good coming to Maine. My first concert ever should be a gnarly one.
Getting into Kalmah and Alestorm lately, too.

« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 04:26:19 PM by Skwisgaar Skwigelf »

Scallywag crew!

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 383
« Reply #534 on: September 12, 2010, 05:40:30 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Children of Bodom
Trivium
Black Label Society
Pantera
Amon Amarth
Job For A Cowboy
Metallica
Ozzy
Sabbath
Slayer
Lamb of God
Iron Maiden

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
Jari Maenpaa, Wintersun's lead singer/guitarist called his band "Extreme Majestic Technical Epic Melodic Metal", in mockery of people like you. I won't categorize a band past heavy metal or death metal. It doesn't mean I don't know anything about metal, though. That's an extremely ignorant assumption to make. Actually, it means I'm a person who can enjoy bands for their music itself, instead of arguing about what genre they are like a bunch of nerds.

No, it still shows that you don't know anything about metal. Metalheads have always and will always talk about genres and break down bands, songs, and styles. That's one of the great things about being into good metal and being a real metalhead: the music is so complex, layered, intricate, and distinct, yet with similar roots that talking about the music intelligently and breaking it down into little minute subgenres is necessary. Aside from not showing a respect of the metal culture, as well as the bands that created scenes in direct opposition to existing forms of metal, not caring about genres is saying that a band like Gnaw Their Tongues sounds like Rotten Sound simply because they're both metal (feel free to YouTube those bands so you have a frame of reference on this sentence).

And if you don't care about genres, why do you even make a distinction between "heavy metal" and "death metal?" Why did you say some can debate if Motley Crue is heavy metal? Here, you are saying that genres do exist. If all you're classifying bands as are "heavy metal" or "death metal," what can you call Burzum? Or Satyricon? Granted, you probably have no idea what they sound like (at least not early i.e. good Satyricon), but they are very clearly not heavy metal and they sound nothing like death metal bands either. If you tried to tell any metalhead that Burzum was death metal, they'd laugh in your face. Genres allow you to have intelligent conversations with other metalheads. Genres give other people a baseline to start from when telling them about a new band or look around when looking for new bands to get into.

You bringing up Wintersun completely misses the point. He's parodying the metal scene's fascination with genres and subgenres. He isn't maliciously making fun of people. It's a good-natured joke at an aspect of the scene he's a part of. Which, showing again how little you know about metal, has existed in metal forever. Look at Carpathian Forest, Anal Cunt, Maggot Twat, or Immortal's parodying of the black metal corpse paint and desire to always be grim and serious. These are jokes couched in a respect and love for metal and an understanding that it is not "simply metal."

Skwisgaar Skwigelf

« Reply #535 on: September 12, 2010, 05:55:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Children of Bodom
Trivium
Black Label Society
Pantera
Amon Amarth
Job For A Cowboy
Metallica
Ozzy
Sabbath
Slayer
Lamb of God
Iron Maiden

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

No, it still shows that you don't know anything about metal. Metalheads have always and will always talk about genres and break down bands, songs, and styles. That's one of the great things about being into good metal and being a real metalhead: the music is so complex, layered, intricate, and distinct, yet with similar roots that talking about the music intelligently and breaking it down into little minute subgenres is necessary. Aside from not showing a respect of the metal culture, as well as the bands that created scenes in direct opposition to existing forms of metal, not caring about genres is saying that a band like Gnaw Their Tongues sounds like Rotten Sound simply because they're both metal (feel free to YouTube those bands so you have a frame of reference on this sentence).

And if you don't care about genres, why do you even make a distinction between "heavy metal" and "death metal?" Why did you say some can debate if Motley Crue is heavy metal? Here, you are saying that genres do exist. If all you're classifying bands as are "heavy metal" or "death metal," what can you call Burzum? Or Satyricon? Granted, you probably have no idea what they sound like (at least not early i.e. good Satyricon), but they are very clearly not heavy metal and they sound nothing like death metal bands either. If you tried to tell any metalhead that Burzum was death metal, they'd laugh in your face. Genres allow you to have intelligent conversations with other metalheads. Genres give other people a baseline to start from when telling them about a new band or look around when looking for new bands to get into.

You bringing up Wintersun completely misses the point. He's parodying the metal scene's fascination with genres and subgenres. He isn't maliciously making fun of people. It's a good-natured joke at an aspect of the scene he's a part of. Which, showing again how little you know about metal, has existed in metal forever. Look at Carpathian Forest, Anal Cunt, Maggot Twat, or Immortal's parodying of the black metal corpse paint and desire to always be grim and serious. These are jokes couched in a respect and love for metal and an understanding that it is not "simply metal."

I say heavy metal and death metal because they're still pretty broad in terms of how many bands play that style. It's not that I don't like DESCRIBING bands, it's all the little sub-genres and intricate nit-picking details that people feel the need to get into. When I tell a person about a band, I tell them who they kind of sound like, then it's up to that person to decide if they sound good or not. But you saying that I know nothing of metal because I don't prefer to categorize is quite pretentious. I've used the terms heavy metal, hair metal, melodic death metal, and death metal before. That's it. The only one that starts getting specific is melodeath. But the other three cover a LOT of bands. Trust me, I've gone on Wikipedia one day specifically to check out all the metal "genres" out there and I'll tell you it gets pretty fucking ridiculous. You could go on for days listening genres... it's just a little annoying. I know what you mean about sub-categorizing sounds so there's less confusion, but I just don't use that method. I agree but disagree on this topic, on whether metal should be sub-genre'd. It's kind of in the air for me, I suppose.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 06:01:02 PM by Skwisgaar Skwigelf »

Scallywag crew!

GnarlesManson

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #536 on: September 12, 2010, 06:43:54 PM »
the fact that you argue to death about how you think genre classification is a bad thing, and then go and say that "hair metal" is a genre makes you seem worse than you are already making yourself seem.

Skwisgaar Skwigelf

« Reply #537 on: September 12, 2010, 06:58:43 PM »
the fact that you argue to death about how you think genre classification is a bad thing, and then go and say that "hair metal" is a genre makes you seem worse than you are already making yourself seem.
I've used it before, to describe various 80's bands. As I said, those are the only 4 genres I've ever referred to before to other people.
But hey, GnarlesManson of SLAP mag says it's not a genre, so... Fuck I must have been wrong, huh...

Scallywag crew!

GnarlesManson

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #538 on: September 12, 2010, 11:00:02 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I've used it before, to describe various 80's bands. As I said, those are the only 4 genres I've ever referred to before to other people.
But hey, GnarlesManson of SLAP mag says it's not a genre, so... Fuck I must have been wrong, huh...
yep, you are wrong. now instead of further proving how much of a dumb kid you are, why dont you start learning about music before you try to argue with those whos knowledge of the subject is vastly greater than yours.

TomTom

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 71
« Reply #539 on: September 12, 2010, 11:52:46 PM »
Dude, Botch live was fucking NUTS.  I just saw Coalesce's "last" show (how many last shows have they had now) with Converge a few months ago in Texas.
Are you from Belgium then?  You have some EXCELLENT bands coming out of there... Rise And Fall, Black Haven and Intregrity to a degree (Dwid lives there now I think)
Shows in Europe were the best, I lived in Germany for 5 years total... so many great shows.

Kids don't know that metalcore used to rule.  I need to add Deadguy to that list of cool early metalcore.  
Nah I am from Germany I was just on tour constantly through the 90ies so I was in belgium regularly.
Yeah so many US Bands posted camp in Belgium it is insane!
But since everything in europe is sooo close together you get so so many awesome bands,.. for example Unbroken was great when Eric was still alive.

I remember some real good screamy bands as well Reversal of man were great dudes, we played with ursurp synapse in, gee I don't even remeber somewhere in the south (Louisiana, alabama or something) in some basement, ...
We were part of that whole Acme, Morser, Systral scene in the north of germany.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 11:55:32 PM by TomTom »