Author Topic: heavy metal thread  (Read 275745 times)

TomTom

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 71
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: heavy metal thread
« Reply #540 on: September 13, 2010, 04:02:03 AM »
darmstadt? Sweet did you get to see acheborn and those dudes?
They were awesome
So I guess you are a service man?
I played drums in Loxiran

and chispa

chispa had a 7" out on bloodlink in philly

jack burton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
« Reply #541 on: September 13, 2010, 12:06:40 PM »
I will probably always regret not going to see Sleep in Philly. Oh welllllllll. Found this online and enjoyed so now im putting it here.

Dude Dudestofferson

• Rep: 73
« Reply #542 on: September 13, 2010, 12:21:12 PM »
here, dude, maybe this will ease your pain (or make it worse, I dunno.)

http://thatsthethingaboutthat.blogspot.com/2010/09/sleep-gothic-theaterenglewood-co-2010.html?spref=fb

considering the incredible response they got, I'd be really suprised if this was the end of the line for Sleep.

jack burton

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #543 on: September 13, 2010, 12:23:46 PM »
here, dude, maybe this will ease your pain (or make it worse, I dunno.)

http://thatsthethingaboutthat.blogspot.com/2010/09/sleep-gothic-theaterenglewood-co-2010.html?spref=fb

considering the incredible response they got, I'd be really suprised if this was the end of the line for Sleep.

Thanks dude. Any little bit helps.

« Reply #544 on: September 13, 2010, 03:39:32 PM »
SLEEP was great. Mind -> blown

Giovanni Falcone

« Reply #545 on: September 13, 2010, 09:56:27 PM »
Dude, Botch live was fucking NUTS.  I just saw Coalesce's "last" show (how many last shows have they had now) with Converge a few months ago in Texas.
Are you from Belgium then?  You have some EXCELLENT bands coming out of there... Rise And Fall, Black Haven and Intregrity to a degree (Dwid lives there now I think)
Shows in Europe were the best, I lived in Germany for 5 years total... so many great shows.

Kids don't know that metalcore used to rule.  I need to add Deadguy to that list of cool early metalcore. 

Dude I saw Botch in 8th grade, haha, 13-14 years ago, lol, definitely gnarly.

TomTom

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #546 on: September 13, 2010, 11:11:33 PM »
Tomtom- I remember Acheborn for sure.  back then, it was a little rough to remember names, I remmeber people automatically thinking I was into Caliban because I lived in Germany

Glad everyone has been enjoying Sleep

caliban were kinfda cool when they started but that quickly changed...

Do you remember Acme and such?
Did you ever get to see refused before "the shape of punk to come" ?
Jeez should put this in the HC section!

Skwisgaar Skwigelf

• Rep: 10000
« Reply #547 on: September 14, 2010, 10:58:13 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
the fact that you argue to death about how you think genre classification is a bad thing, and then go and say that "hair metal" is a genre makes you seem worse than you are already making yourself seem.
[close]
I've used it before, to describe various 80's bands. As I said, those are the only 4 genres I've ever referred to before to other people.
But hey, GnarlesManson of SLAP mag says it's not a genre, so... Fuck I must have been wrong, huh...
[close]
yep, you are wrong. now instead of further proving how much of a dumb kid you are, why dont you start learning about music before you try to argue with those whos knowledge of the subject is vastly greater than yours.
Damn, man. You're so wise and self-important. Hair metal never existed! So what was Twisted Sister then?
It's another name for "glam metal".
« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 11:03:19 AM by Skwisgaar Skwigelf »
or maybe its because your fist has to first be purified in the waters of lake minnetonka before it can touch dylons.

Scallywag crew!

Skwisgaar Skwigelf

« Reply #548 on: September 14, 2010, 01:50:13 PM »

Just started listening to this band too. Fucking brutal shit.
or maybe its because your fist has to first be purified in the waters of lake minnetonka before it can touch dylons.

Scallywag crew!

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 383
« Reply #549 on: September 14, 2010, 02:33:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
the fact that you argue to death about how you think genre classification is a bad thing, and then go and say that "hair metal" is a genre makes you seem worse than you are already making yourself seem.
[close]
I've used it before, to describe various 80's bands. As I said, those are the only 4 genres I've ever referred to before to other people.
But hey, GnarlesManson of SLAP mag says it's not a genre, so... Fuck I must have been wrong, huh...
[close]
yep, you are wrong. now instead of further proving how much of a dumb kid you are, why dont you start learning about music before you try to argue with those whos knowledge of the subject is vastly greater than yours.
[close]
Damn, man. You're so wise and self-important. Hair metal never existed! So what was Twisted Sister then?

So since Twisted Sister doesn't sound like Judas Priest and other traditional heavy metal bands, it makes sense to call them something different i.e. hair metal/glam metal, right? And just like Thorns and Mayhem don't sound like Judas Priest or Vader (death metal), it makes sense to call them something different as well, such as black metal. Correct? That is what you're saying after all, so thank you for making my point for me and finally agreeing with me.

Dude Dudestofferson

« Reply #550 on: September 14, 2010, 03:38:24 PM »
jammin' Khanate today. uuuurrrrggggggggoooooowwwww!

Dude Dudestofferson

« Reply #551 on: September 14, 2010, 06:04:04 PM »
the self-titled and Clean Hands Go Foul. and to keep it all in the family, 'bout to put on Burning Witch - Towers

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #552 on: September 14, 2010, 06:19:35 PM »
Man, I forgot about Thorns!

I have a tendency to forget about them too, but I always think of them whenever I need a black metal example beyond Mayhem, Darkthrone, etc. I wish I could find his original demo where it's just Snorre playing guitar, bass, and singing and no drums.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #553 on: September 14, 2010, 06:31:08 PM »
What other black metal bands do you prefer? I've been kinda in stasis, not finding too many new bands, since my metal friends at school all graduated and Metal Haven closed.

GnarlesManson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -118
« Reply #554 on: September 14, 2010, 07:51:37 PM »

"glam" and "hair" refer to the physical appearance of band members, not the actual music. they are not musical genres. twisted sister is not metal thats for sure.

Skwisgaar Skwigelf

« Reply #555 on: September 14, 2010, 08:46:29 PM »
Wait... are you serious?  Now I am questioning if you are a troll like some other people say.... just baiting people into a response...
Why do you continue to question every one of my posts. I'm sitting here, trying to genuinely contribute to this thread. If you think I'm regular for not having listened to Dark Tranquility before, than that's your problem.

Scallywag crew!

Dude Dudestofferson

« Reply #556 on: September 14, 2010, 09:07:33 PM »
I'm not a big black metal listener, but my recommendation is Beherit. Engram is a rad LP.

Skwisgaar Skwigelf

« Reply #557 on: September 14, 2010, 09:13:42 PM »
Quit being a fucking baby.� Goddamn it, stop saying you don't care what people think when you clearly do.� You put your fucking opinion out there and wonder why it gets shit on.� Here, I'll tell you.� It's the internet and that is what happens when you put your opinion out there.� Here's something else I will tell you.� That band fucking sucks.� Always has.� In fact, it's MY opinion that your taste in metal in general is cookie cutter as fuck and couldn't be more boring and safe.� Quit basing your opinion off whatever some pro skated to, or whatever is one cartoon network, go to a show and see what it is really all about.� I assure you it's more than tight pants and fucking sweep picking.
Those aren't what I base my opinions off. I'm not a brainless 12 year old who follows bandwagons, despite what anyone on here thinks, because they've never met me and they don't know me, except for a couple stupid pictures that were thrown up, by my own stupidity. I wasn't trying to whine or anything.. I was just trying to post something useful for once instead of arguing. I can't go to shows because I live in a state where shows aren't available to me, unless I want to go see some local band that doesn't play what I would go to show to see.
Anyway, to make everyone happy, I will leave this thread for the time being until I can come back with some music that's not what I listed...

Scallywag crew!

Dude Dudestofferson

« Reply #558 on: September 14, 2010, 09:24:06 PM »
hey HATE!, have you heard Dispirit yet? it's John Gossard from Weakling's new black metal thing.
I still haven't yet, but Dead As Dreams is so good, I'm definitely curious.

Skwisgaar, you don't need to leave, just don't be so defensive, dude. Maybe read a little more and post a little less. It's not a race.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #559 on: September 15, 2010, 12:23:43 AM »
Expand Quote
Quit being a fucking baby.� Goddamn it, stop saying you don't care what people think when you clearly do.� You put your fucking opinion out there and wonder why it gets shit on.� Here, I'll tell you.� It's the internet and that is what happens when you put your opinion out there.� Here's something else I will tell you.� That band fucking sucks.� Always has.� In fact, it's MY opinion that your taste in metal in general is cookie cutter as fuck and couldn't be more boring and safe.� Quit basing your opinion off whatever some pro skated to, or whatever is one cartoon network, go to a show and see what it is really all about.� I assure you it's more than tight pants and fucking sweep picking.
[close]
Those aren't what I base my opinions off. I'm not a brainless 12 year old who follows bandwagons, despite what anyone on here thinks, because they've never met me and they don't know me, except for a couple stupid pictures that were thrown up, by my own stupidity. I wasn't trying to whine or anything.. I was just trying to post something useful for once instead of arguing. I can't go to shows because I live in a state where shows aren't available to me, unless I want to go see some local band that doesn't play what I would go to show to see.
Anyway, to make everyone happy, I will leave this thread for the time being until I can come back with some music that's not what I listed...

You were posting a well known band that everyone in here has already heard of and moved on from and calling it contributing? Hopefully (doubtfully), you will stay out of this thread for a while, read the 20 something pages we've already gone through, and expand your horizons some. Or better yet, go post on the metal-archives.com forum for a little bit and see how well you're received there.

HATE!-Thanks for the list. I love Anaal Nathrakh and there are a few bands on there I know of (Burzum obviously, Peste Noir, 1349). But I've definitely got a couple to look into now. I really need to give Deathspell Omega another listen since I've been getting more into that type of black metal lately.

TomTom

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #560 on: September 15, 2010, 12:31:06 AM »
Death wise I am stuck in the 90ies!

Unleashed
Boltthrower
Dismember
Gorefest

anyone remember them?

and Hate! you should check out Refused!

TomTom

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #561 on: September 15, 2010, 05:36:13 AM »
bummer you shoulda seehn em live! it was fucking awesome!

Did you ever see Assuck live?
That was fucking mayhem!

GnarlesManson

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #562 on: September 15, 2010, 07:57:55 AM »
do yall have lastfm?

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #563 on: September 20, 2010, 11:39:45 PM »

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

smokecrack

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -160
« Reply #564 on: September 21, 2010, 12:37:40 AM »
http://www.adultswim.com/promos/201009_scion/index.html

damn it, you son of a bitch. i was gonna come in here just to post that. oh well, beat me to it. here's Earth's last one as a consolation.

http://www.mediafire.com/?ujzidowzwzd

dlx111

• Rep: -58
« Reply #565 on: September 22, 2010, 08:54:04 AM »

my favorite drummer ever

GnarlesManson

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #566 on: September 22, 2010, 11:30:31 AM »
dude sqiggif skwieisergaf is tight dude

hate! does your local hot topic have any dethklok shirts in stock?
if you find one i can mail you some money from my moms wallet!
i need one to wear with my new trivium hat to the cinderella show next week (im taking your advice and going to a metal show!)....gotta look legit u know?

fallen4life

GnarlesManson

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #567 on: September 22, 2010, 02:46:30 PM »
this is what my outfit looks like so far

Dude Dudestofferson

« Reply #568 on: September 22, 2010, 04:06:26 PM »
I do believe I am seeing them with Thou in NOLA and then in Baton Rouge right before I deploy.?  Thou are some good dudes.

hey HATE! do you know where this show is in Baton Rouge? someplace called Rachel Haus?
where the fuck is that? I have a couple of homies who are talking about going, but don't know shit about Baton Rouge.

Dude Dudestofferson

« Reply #569 on: September 22, 2010, 04:26:46 PM »
yep, that's was I was thinking. thanks for checking, holmes.
wish I could go, but I work @ 530AM the next day.