Author Topic: heavy metal thread  (Read 275791 times)

Lordata

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 23
  • Still Skating at 28, Hailey, Idaho area
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: heavy metal thread
« Reply #630 on: March 01, 2011, 02:18:28 PM »
Yuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.  Not into the singing or the instrument masturbation.  I am not a prog dude though at all
haha, everyone talks about their wankery and it took me a minute to get it but you just made it so much more clear. It's kind of weird, but they're one of the few prog bands I actually listen to. I am really bored by Dream Theater. My friend who's a drummer likes DT, but their 16 and 18 minute+ songs on the same album really bore me. I don't like BTBAM's Swim to the Moon because it's too damn long and repetitive too.
Do you like BTBAM's earlier stuff that's not so prog or do you just steer away from them at all times?

Lordata

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #631 on: March 01, 2011, 10:00:04 PM »
Nah, I like their self titled and Silent Circus.  I don't remember if I heard Alaska! or not, but they really showed their chops on the covers album oddly enough.  I am way more of a grind and sludge dude, but my ex wife loved BTBAM and we saw them a bunch.  They do a bang up job, live, but I wouldn't say I was a fan.  I am more indifferent now than anything else.  It's funny that when you said "my friend who is a drummer is a fan of DT" because Dream Theater doesn't have a single fan that doesn't play an instrument of their own.  Their total fan base is from places like Guitar Center
Hahaha. made me chuckle.
I do like their cover album, has some good diversity on it (minus the vocals). I don't know, I kind of go through phases of really liking them, and then not listening to them for a long time; sometimes their repetitive randomness get annoying. (right now I'm in the liking them phase, hoping the new album isn't too pretentious, despite the track titles being so).
I haven't heard all of their self-titled but I really like Silent Circus too, especially The Need for Repetition and it's bonus track, I'm a Man or something.
Alaska is good; Colors is just a huge change from it. I know people who hate Alaska though despite loving TSC.

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
« Reply #632 on: March 03, 2011, 08:54:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Yuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.  Not into the singing or the instrument masturbation.  I am not a prog dude though at all
[close]
, but their 16 and 18 minute+ songs
That's not bad if you know how to do it.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

Lordata

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #633 on: March 03, 2011, 10:52:22 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
, but their 16 and 18 minute+ songs
[close]
That's not bad if you know how to do it.
Yeah, he just gave me a bunch of albums though and didn't really specify which were the best and I didn't feel like spending the time finding out what was the best.

GnarlesManson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -118
« Reply #634 on: April 04, 2011, 07:07:55 PM »
sooooo anyone else seeing sleep this summer?

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 383
« Reply #635 on: April 05, 2011, 04:28:07 PM »
A lot of news from the past few weeks that I've just been too lazy to post. I got the new Rotten Sound CD, which is great, as well as Mastodon's "Live at the Aragon" CD/DVD. The DVD of the show is really good, although I'm not a hug fan of Brent's live vocals. They sound too different from how they are on the albums, which is how I prefer them. I got the new Blut Aus Nord album about a half a week or so ago and it doesn't come out officially until the 18th, so I was really excited about that. It is also really good. I guess it's part one of  a trilogy of albums, so I'm excited to see where that goes. I hope they do them in order though (i.e. it won't be an over 10 years like for "Memoria Vetusta II," although "MVII" was released at the perfect time).

And then towards the end of March, I got to see Gaza live at a bar called "The Nite Cap" with like 25 people total there. And that's a high estimate. It was a super last minute show, thrown together on a Monday or Tuesday (the show was on a Thursday). It was great though. The two opening bands were actually really good and Gaza was just crazy. They were so loud you could barely hear the singer, and that's with the bar's PA system turned all the way up and their mics on the rest of the instruments almost off. When they announced they had to songs left, I just yelled out "Play Gristle!" and the singer looked at me and was like, "Alright. Two songs and then we'll play Gristle." I was literally right next to the band because the "stage" of the bar was filled with their drum set and amps. It was awesome. Got the "East" EP and a shirt too. And drank with my dad because none of my friends wanted to go.

Nick

• Rep: 0
« Reply #636 on: April 06, 2011, 07:03:43 PM »

Lordata

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #637 on: April 07, 2011, 12:47:15 AM »
Every post in this thread should just be this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAvojqmS7Q8&feature=player_embedded#at=220
FUCK YES!!!

This was my first custom ringtone for a long time. The intro worked really well. Then I realized that it's not a good idea to make good songs ringtones because you get over them. But now I like it again. This was especially awesome with the heavier sound than the original. I really liked the random solo transition they had(at least in the original, can't remember if it was in this one right now)

On a completely different band, I know last time I posted them it was pretty much all Hate, but this is kind of interesting. I've listened to it twice but not carefully so I'm still not sure on my opinion of it.
BTBAM: The Parallax: Hypersleep Dialogues (you know the title is too pretentious when you can't spell any of the words right your first try)
http://ht.ly/4qxjX

Acrid Avid Jam Shred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -156
« Reply #638 on: April 07, 2011, 09:35:47 AM »
I've had diabolical fullmoon mysticism on repeat for the past couple of days

Xasthur is soooo sick too
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 12:12:57 PM by Acrid Avid Jam Shred »

Acrid Avid Jam Shred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -156
« Reply #639 on: April 08, 2011, 09:28:27 AM »
Really? I always kind of get weirded out by the programmed drums, they just sound unnatural at parts mostly the hi-hat and crash/ride. I don't mind it though, the focus isn't really on the drums anyways.

scorpion1001

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 40
  • All Hail Carroll
« Reply #640 on: April 08, 2011, 10:49:31 AM »
i've been listening to trap them's new record darker handcraft pretty much every day, along with the new human abstract record and just got into kvelertak's fucking AMAZING album.  i'm stoked as fuck for the new BTBAM, gonna try to head out to long island to see them next friday and see the ocean and job for a cowboy opening which is one hell of a bill

edit - forgot to mention the nails record too, its so fucking brutal and short but oh so sweet.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 12:07:03 PM by scorpion1001 »

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #641 on: April 08, 2011, 03:55:10 PM »
i'm stoked as fuck for the new BTBAM, gonna try to head out to long island to see them next friday and see the ocean and job for a cowboy opening which is one hell of a bill

Except BTBAM and Job For A Cowboy both suck.

scorpion1001

• SLAP Pal
  • All Hail Carroll
« Reply #642 on: April 08, 2011, 06:02:36 PM »
what do you mean by upbeat? i dont see a connection between them and every time i die, and ETID's one of my favorite bands so im just curious by that. 

scorpion1001

• SLAP Pal
  • All Hail Carroll
« Reply #643 on: April 08, 2011, 07:56:21 PM »
yeah i had a feeling you meant guitar sound.  the whole album is actually really good though, it got good reviews and i've listened to it a good 20 or 30 times since buying it.  i suggest hearing the whole thing if you haven't - even i was skeptical at first when i only heard the facts (the song with the "goddamn son of a bitch" line) but the record as a whole blew me away.  i also hear about entombed like a million times over when i read about the band and your comments too, and though i havent really tried listening to them yet i am always open to give a band a shot.  what do you recommend?

scorpion1001

• SLAP Pal
  • All Hail Carroll
« Reply #644 on: April 08, 2011, 08:36:59 PM »
haha but you dont like black breath? heavy breathing is a sick record

Lordata

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #645 on: April 10, 2011, 05:08:23 PM »
Expand Quote
i'm stoked as fuck for the new BTBAM, gonna try to head out to long island to see them next friday and see the ocean and job for a cowboy opening which is one hell of a bill

[close]

Except BTBAM and Job For A Cowboy both suck.
haha, I'm going to try and head up to SF in a couple Wednesdays for this tour.

duh, Metal Sucks.

scorpion1001

• SLAP Pal
  • All Hail Carroll
« Reply #646 on: April 10, 2011, 05:53:22 PM »
thats pretty sick, i dont think im gonna be able to catch the long island show after all so i hope they come through and put on a collectively enjoyable show.  metal sucks is an awesome and hilarious site too, great source for daily metal news and updates

scorpion1001

• SLAP Pal
  • All Hail Carroll
« Reply #647 on: April 29, 2011, 07:22:36 AM »
new job for a cowboy tune - pretty sick

GnarlesManson

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #648 on: April 29, 2011, 10:14:20 AM »
get that nonsense out of here

BallDontLie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 678
« Reply #649 on: April 29, 2011, 12:51:59 PM »
been listening to this..EP? a shit tone lately. Tons of replay value

I think they're pre Sleep

but totally agreed on Black Breath. Good shit the first 1 or 2 listens.

if the mods were wu-tang, dean would be cappadonna

macgruber

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 73
  • Just Tell Me What You Want Me To FUUUUUUCK
« Reply #650 on: April 29, 2011, 02:14:57 PM »
new graveyard is awesome

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #651 on: April 29, 2011, 04:55:41 PM »
Job For A Cowboy - Misery Reformatory [NEW SONG] (2011)

No...no it's not.

scorpion1001

• SLAP Pal
  • All Hail Carroll
« Reply #652 on: April 29, 2011, 07:01:51 PM »
yeah im starting to think that myself - i started listening to all pigs must die and although they're badass and i love their record, i thought to myself "alright thats enough bands like these..."

GnarlesManson

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #653 on: April 29, 2011, 08:39:08 PM »
I am 12 years old and my parents just recently started letting me buy CDs with parental advisory stickers at Hot Topic. I luv when da singer makes the BREEE BREEEE singing and da guitar goes CHUGGA CHUG CHUG BrEaKdOwNXxX SUPA HXC!!!!!!

scorpion1001

• SLAP Pal
  • All Hail Carroll
« Reply #654 on: April 29, 2011, 10:28:56 PM »
haha dude i fucking hate deathcore - i havent listened to a deathcore band yet that didnt sound like all the others.  job for a cowboy started out as a deathcore band but with their last record and this new ep coming out they've evolved more towards death metal.  they arent even one of my favorite bands, just one i enjoy from time to time

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #655 on: April 29, 2011, 11:44:14 PM »
That was supposed to be a death metal song? I'm not even a big death metal fan, but that wasn't death metal.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #656 on: April 30, 2011, 12:30:51 PM »
Once APMD were brought up, I knew HATE! wasn't gonna stand for any of that shit.

scorpion1001

• SLAP Pal
  • All Hail Carroll
« Reply #657 on: April 30, 2011, 09:46:13 PM »
no no i was referring to your comment above mine, i should've cleared up that i can hear the entombed influence in all pigs must die.

speaking of which, i listened to left hand path a couple times and i'm definitely digging it.  thanks for the recommendation.

macgruber

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 73
  • Just Tell Me What You Want Me To FUUUUUUCK
« Reply #658 on: May 02, 2011, 04:14:49 PM »
haha dude i fucking hate deathcore - i havent listened to a deathcore band yet that didnt sound like all the others.  job for a cowboy started out as a deathcore band but with their last record and this new ep coming out they've evolved more towards death metal.  they arent even one of my favorite bands, just one i enjoy from time to time

i got a soft spot for embrace the end and animosity's earlier albums, but yeah, that shit is bad

sparksandblood

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 55
« Reply #659 on: May 02, 2011, 04:22:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Job For A Cowboy - Misery Reformatory [NEW SONG] (2011)
[close]

No...no it's not.
I admit I liked some of the guitar work on their Doom e.p. but, good god that was bad. I thinks its weird that dudes my age listen to that stuff, its such teenage shit to me.
It was seriously like seeing Jesus on a skateboard.