Author Topic: heavy metal thread  (Read 275776 times)

scorpion1001

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 40
  • All Hail Carroll
Re: heavy metal thread
« Reply #750 on: September 28, 2011, 10:35:16 AM »
the new decapitated record is brolic as fuck.

Stoop Kid

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -72
  • Fuck hipsters.
« Reply #751 on: September 28, 2011, 11:43:39 AM »
the new decapitated record is brolic as fuck.

Yes it is.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 383
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #752 on: September 28, 2011, 11:13:58 PM »
brolic?

I am confused as well.

I got the new Mastodon and Opeth CDs today, so I'll post how I feel about them sometime this week once I can listen to them once or twice. In upcoming news, Anaal Nathrakh is already working on a new CD because for some reason they can put out two CDs within a year or so of each other without the work really suffering, so I'm pretty stoked for that.

Has anyone heard of The Konsortium?

I'm still making my mind up about them. It's definitely interesting black metal though. And I enjoy their whole mythology/shtick (which I can explain0kinda-if anyone's interested).

Finally, Blut Aus Nord is finally releasing info on the second part of the "777" trilogy, as well as allowing pre-orders to start (I already made mine). I copied the Youtube teaser, album art, and press release onto my tumblr page, so sorry for the self-advertising. I just don't have time to re-copy everything: http://slutsgetcut.tumblr.com/post/10788313145/and-so-comes-to-pass-the-second-chapter-in-blut .

scorpion1001

• SLAP Pal
  • All Hail Carroll
« Reply #753 on: September 28, 2011, 11:36:01 PM »
brolic?
haha i dont know about where its said often or w/e, but here in nyc its a term thrown around for if you see a guy thats really built (diesel?) or strong - that dude is brolic as fuck.  i apply it to metulz thats brutal or relentless, like the new all pigs must die.

really stoked on the new machine head and mastodon records - HATE! you're probably going to dislike the hunter but i'm happy with how it turned out.  my opinion doesnt mean much here though since they're my favorite metal band and im going to fight for them until they dont make music anymore.

GnarlesManson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -118
« Reply #754 on: September 29, 2011, 12:36:19 AM »
the new mastodon album is so bad that id throw it in with nickleback and creed. im not just saying that to be an extremist either...i really think it sucks that bad.

Stoop Kid

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -72
  • Fuck hipsters.
« Reply #755 on: September 29, 2011, 06:37:28 AM »
the new mastodon album is so bad that id throw it in with nickleback and creed. im not just saying that to be an extremist either...i really think it sucks that bad.

You must have really poor taste in music then. The new Mastodon album is actually really fucking good. If you liked Crack the Skye then this album should not suck to you. The word brolic means to get ready to fight or something with fighting, and its true because Decapitated may make some want to do that. If you guys want a good album go pick up Book of Black Earths new album The Cold Testament.

scorpion1001

• SLAP Pal
  • All Hail Carroll
« Reply #756 on: September 29, 2011, 08:39:59 AM »
new black tusk! http://www.noisecreep.com/2011/09/29/black-tusk-crossroads-and-thunder-song/
sorry i dont have a youtube link, it was posted pretty recently today so it will probably be on youtube by the end of the day.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #757 on: September 29, 2011, 01:34:03 PM »
Just got through my first listen of "The Hunter" and all I can think is whoever wrote a little over half, almost the majority, of the lyrics for this album really needs to stop. Just have Brann write then again because no matter what you think about "Crack the Skye" (I personally really like it), at least the lyrics were both good and classic Mastodon.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #758 on: September 29, 2011, 08:01:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Just got through my first listen of "The Hunter" and all I can think is whoever wrote a little over half, almost the majority, of the lyrics for this album really needs to stop. Just have Brann write then again because no matter what you think about "Crack the Skye" (I personally really like it), at least the lyrics were both good and classic Mastodon.
[close]
\

Not 100% on this, but I think Dailor DID write a lot of the lyrics.  This was supposed to be their "fun" album.

Ah. Yeah, everything I can find just says "Mastodon" and the "Making of..." DVD that came with the CD doesn't go as in-depth as the "Crack The Skye" DVD did. Although it is cool to watch Brann talk about all the songs on the track by track commentary. He's a funny guy.

I also got "Heritage" by Opeth. It's pretty good despite the lack of death metal vocals, but I have to listen to it more. The production and instrumentation is amazing though. It sounds really good at least.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #759 on: September 29, 2011, 08:13:29 PM »
I wasn't a fan of Opeth even without the death metal vocals, but I did hear that this is an incredibly dense album.

Oh yeah. There's a lot going on. I'd suggest trying to listen to it. I think the main problem people will face is that you can't go into it expecting a (straight-forward) metal album. It's completely different.

scorpion1001

• SLAP Pal
  • All Hail Carroll
« Reply #760 on: September 29, 2011, 08:46:31 PM »
i always wanted to get into opeth but i dont really know where to start, whats the best one to start with? i was thinking blackwater park

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #761 on: September 29, 2011, 09:09:50 PM »
"Blackwater Park" is really good, and is probably what most people would say to start with, but I could never get super into that album for whatever reason. The one that got me really into Opeth, and was my favorite for the longest time, was "Still Life." But for a while now, "My Arms, Your Hearse" has taken over my #1 spot. But really, any of those three would be good bets.

I also think a lot of people would say "Ghost Reveries," but I probably wouldn't. That was my first Opeth album, but I couldn't get into it until after I got really into "Still Life." Then, I revisited "Ghost Reveries" and really liked it. (Ironically, my favorite Opeth song "Ghost of Perdition" is off of "Ghost Reveries," so I'd suggest listening to that despite whichever album you get.)
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 12:48:43 PM by oyolar »

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 262
  • tiger style
« Reply #762 on: October 02, 2011, 07:37:22 AM »
anyone got a link to the hunter? i liked CTS and i'm curious to check it out.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #763 on: October 09, 2011, 11:09:04 PM »
anyone got a link to the hunter? i liked CTS and i'm curious to check it out.

There was a link to a YouTube video a page or so back that had the entire CD uploaded to it.

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
« Reply #764 on: October 12, 2011, 08:32:42 PM »

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

Bobby Peru

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 610
    • Community Push avatar image
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #765 on: October 13, 2011, 12:12:26 PM »
That site's pretty sweet.

scorpion1001

• SLAP Pal
  • All Hail Carroll
« Reply #766 on: October 22, 2011, 09:08:35 AM »
the new skeletonwitch record absolutely fuckin slays - saw them with kvelertak last night and it was a fuckin awesome show.

David

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 27
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #767 on: October 23, 2011, 08:22:50 PM »

David

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 27
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #768 on: October 24, 2011, 11:06:43 AM »
Ash Borer is amazing.

Really liking their split with Fell Voices

http://gileadmedia.bandcamp.com/album/ash-borer-fell-voices-split-lp

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #769 on: October 25, 2011, 05:07:42 PM »
So tomorrow I have the options of seeing Kvelertak/Skeletonwitch/Zoroaster/Gaza or Gaza/Beak/Roman Ring/Wasted Fortune and I'm not sure which to go to (and yes, Gaza is actually playing two shows-at least that's what they said on their Facebook page). I'm really only a big Gaza fan out of all of these bands, so I'm debating whether I should go see them twice, or if I should sit through the other bands. I'm not sure of exact times, but the way I understand it is that Gaza is opening for Kvelertak and then headlining the other show. So theoretically, I should be able to leave the one and make it to the other with enough time.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #770 on: October 25, 2011, 08:04:25 PM »
Damn it HATE!. I was hoping for some advice on my not very serious predicament.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #771 on: October 26, 2011, 11:07:40 AM »
I couldn't really get into the few Kvelertak songs I listened to, so what I might do is leave after Skeletonwitch if I'll have time to re-see Gaza. If not, I'll just stay there.

Along with this, I'm seeing Opeth and Katatonia on Friday so this'll be a pretty good week. I hopefully will be getting the newest Blut Aus Nord album pretty soon and will probably order The Konsortium's album.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #772 on: October 28, 2011, 10:13:55 PM »
I really don't like Opeth, and even less now that they're a prog band

They set was so boring. It was ridiculously disappointing. I never expected to actually be having a conversation with my friend while Opeth (a favorite band for both of us) was playing. This chick in front of us complained because our conversation was distracting from her listening to the set. I just told her, "Sorry, but if they were playing less boring songs, we wouldn't have to talk. So it sucks for you." Katatonia was even worse. A rather disappointing night.

Blue Fescue

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #773 on: October 29, 2011, 03:13:46 AM »
My friend recommended Danava, i was pretty psyched.  The new album Hemisphere of Shadows is good.

friendly dave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 737
  • grinding to a halt
    • grindingtoahalt avatar image
« Reply #774 on: October 29, 2011, 03:11:32 PM »
!

Baby metal.
Because you can't kill and idea, and we will not be ruled!

the visuals are also mad visual yo
FTW

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #775 on: November 03, 2011, 05:57:27 PM »
Why does it seem that "grindcore" is the hip new way to describe shitty metalcore/deathcore bands? This new trend actually really pisses me off.

newhampster

• Rep: 7
« Reply #776 on: November 04, 2011, 09:30:57 AM »
I've noticed that and it bugs the shit out of me.  I find it very similar to years ago when I felt like everyone (who did not listen to metal) referred to ANY genre of metal as "screamo".  I don't even know if its socially acceptable to listen to screamo bands anymore, but god damn it, I'll love Orchid for as long as I live.

penguin meat

« Reply #777 on: November 08, 2011, 05:26:07 PM »
My friend recommended Danava, i was pretty psyched.  The new album Hemisphere of Shadows is good.

I want this fucking album

penguin meat

« Reply #778 on: November 08, 2011, 09:06:14 PM »
I'm sure Black Cobra has been posted in here, but does anyone know what the fuck they are saying? Lyrics for them are impossible to find, and they pretty much admit that they were all made up for their first album.

pizza bitch

• Rep: 129
  • mhmmmmmmmm
« Reply #779 on: November 15, 2011, 09:19:16 AM »
Wicked Lady fucking rips. More of blues metal i think.