Author Topic: heavy metal thread  (Read 275824 times)

SkateViolence

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 9
Re: heavy metal thread
« Reply #960 on: January 03, 2013, 08:38:49 PM »
Anyone into legit black/death stuff? Demoncy, Profanatica, Blasphemy, Beherit, etc?

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 383
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #961 on: January 03, 2013, 08:48:49 PM »
Why is that stuff "legit" and not the other black metal bands posted in here?

SkateViolence

« Reply #962 on: January 03, 2013, 09:04:30 PM »
well, i haven't read all 47 pages of the thread. from what i've seen, though, minus a few exceptions, the black metal discussion trends toward the lighter side. and black/death is a lot different than black metal. not saying nothing legit is discussed here, though. pardon my phrasing.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #963 on: January 03, 2013, 09:38:44 PM »
Haha. Nah, it's cool man. I was afraid you were getting all "elitist" on us. I can't speak for other people, but I know that I'm definitely a fan of more experimental/avant-garde black metal. I do like rawer black metal bands and some blackened death bands, I just haven't really gone out of my way to seek any out. I have listened to all of those bands you've mentioned to some extent though and any suggestions would be great. I'm thinking of giving Mgla a try.

Honestly, I think one of the problems I have is that I don't download bands-I buy all of my music (unless it's on a bandcamp or something for free). So I'll tend to get really into a few bands at a time, buy all or a majority of their full-lengths, listen to them at my leisure, and then start seeking out new bands. It's a slow process (especially lately), but I just feel immense guilt at pirating an album.

SkateViolence

« Reply #964 on: January 03, 2013, 09:53:07 PM »
Good on you. I would buy all my shit if I could afford to, haha. If I'm buying something it's on an analog format, not shelling out cash for files. Getting hard to download these days though. Mgla is pretty cool. Not super my thing but good at what they do. For black/death stuff you can't go wrong with:

dirtyweemidden

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 59
« Reply #965 on: January 04, 2013, 02:36:51 AM »
just got tickets through the door to see GHOST, fucking stoked!

The Nose Face

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 8
« Reply #966 on: January 15, 2013, 08:32:30 AM »
South Korean Metal from 1993 - shit is so raw, really got get more into this band and check out a few albums:

SkateViolence

« Reply #967 on: January 15, 2013, 08:39:24 PM »
Quote from: The Nose Face  link=topic=34138.msg1827922#msg1827922 date=1358267550
South Korean Metal from 1993 - shit is so raw, really got get more into this band and check out a few albums:

not bad, but if you're diggin on raw thrash it doesn't get any more vicious than morbid saint:

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #968 on: January 19, 2013, 10:46:27 PM »
I might be able to get all four Panopticon full-lengths for $24. I will keep you all updated (after I make my order-sorry, it seems like he does limited pressings so every man for himself).

scorpion1001

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 40
  • All Hail Carroll
« Reply #969 on: January 21, 2013, 09:27:22 PM »
it took me forever to finally get around to listening to this record and i've been kicking myself for the past week for taking so long.  every track has something that makes it stand out and it culminates into not just one of the best grind records, but generally one of the best records of 2012 for sure.  i've been so stoked on travis ryan (vocals) that i ordered the new album from his other band murder construct and i cant wait to spin that shit tomorrow.

on a non-metulz note, stoked on picking up the new bad religion tomorrow as well!

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #970 on: January 22, 2013, 08:31:48 AM »
I keep seeing Cattle Decapitation's album on people's lists of best CDs of 2012, but I really despise their super deathcore sounding earlier stuff, so I'm really tentative to listen to it. I heard "Forced Gender Reassignment" when I watched the video for it and it didn't really stick with me. But then again, I'm not a huge death metal fan so that might contribute to it. I have heard good things about Murder Construct though and since it's supposed to be more grind-y, I'd be more willing to check them out.

Just ordered my Panopticon CDs. Sadly Social Disservices was sold on, so I ordered the self-titled CD, Collapse, Kentucky, and his split with When Bitter Spring Sleeps (which is the first half of ...on the Subject of Mortality).

SkateViolence

« Reply #971 on: January 22, 2013, 09:25:33 PM »
barring a few examples, i can't really get into most "modern" death metal. all the more recent death metal bands i listen to stick to an older sound for the most part. chthe'ilist is a shining example of techier death metal done right, though they draw most of their influence from early 90's finnish stuff.

i've never been able to get too much into panopticon. the last thing i remember hearing from him was an amebix cover i didn't really like. i've heard good things about kentucky though, so i'll give that another listen.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #972 on: January 22, 2013, 10:24:57 PM »
Kentucky is really good. I've listened to it all in bits and pieces. And I definitely agree with you on the death metal tip. That Chthe'ilist song sounded really good, but it seems like lately, I can only find "slam" death metal bands or deathcore bands claiming they're brutal death or grindcore. Or at least the ratio between good bands and bad is very skewed. Cruciamentum was the last death metal band I really cared to remember.

BRIX SKWIKZ

« Reply #973 on: January 22, 2013, 11:06:28 PM »
barring a few examples, i can't really get into most "modern" death metal. all the more recent death metal bands i listen to stick to an older sound for the most part. chthe'ilist is a shining example of techier death metal done right, though they draw most of their influence from early 90's finnish stuff.

i've never been able to get too much into panopticon. the last thing i remember hearing from him was an amebix cover i didn't really like. i've heard good things about kentucky though, so i'll give that another listen.

SkateViolence

« Reply #974 on: January 23, 2013, 02:33:32 PM »
Kentucky is really good. I've listened to it all in bits and pieces. And I definitely agree with you on the death metal tip. That Chthe'ilist song sounded really good, but it seems like lately, I can only find "slam" death metal bands or deathcore bands claiming they're brutal death or grindcore. Or at least the ratio between good bands and bad is very skewed. Cruciamentum was the last death metal band I really cared to remember.

right now is actually a really good time for "throwback" death metal. a lot of good bands playing some fresh takes on old school stuff. cruciamentum is really great. they were killer when i saw them.

scorpion1001

• SLAP Pal
  • All Hail Carroll
« Reply #975 on: January 23, 2013, 06:19:25 PM »
oyolar - i listened to the murder construct record earlier today and its pretty good, more raw/straightforward type grind rather than cattle decap-style deathgrind.  lemme know if you want me to hook you (or any of the other pals) up with it.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #976 on: January 28, 2013, 12:46:40 PM »

SkateViolence

« Reply #977 on: January 29, 2013, 12:27:33 PM »
Anyone going to Maryland Death Fest this year? The lineup is pretty nuts.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #978 on: January 29, 2013, 11:51:29 PM »
Man, I wish I could afford to go to MDF. The line-up is super good this year.

Found this track http://hiarctow.com/2012/deathless-order-new-music-from-absvrdistabhorrent-mastermind/ that's pretty good while looking to download the Chthe'ilist demo (which can be found here: http://hiarctow.com/music/chtheilist/).  I guess it's a side project of one of the guys in Absvrdist, which is good blackened grind and can be heard here: http://absvrdist.bandcamp.com/.

SkateViolence

« Reply #979 on: January 30, 2013, 07:36:59 AM »
Digging Deathless Order! Absvrdist reminds me of Hatred Surge a bit.

Bobby Peru

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 610
    • Community Push avatar image
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #980 on: February 13, 2013, 06:45:57 PM »
I rarely dig anything Nuclear Blast puts out, but I'm pretty excited about the new Enforcer album, which you can stream at Terrorizer. Swedish power metal.

Bobby Peru

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 610
    • Community Push avatar image
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #981 on: February 13, 2013, 06:54:32 PM »
Also, that new Nails track is sick.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #982 on: February 13, 2013, 07:23:55 PM »
I really need a job because there are too many CDs I need to get and shows I want to go to.  I want that new Nails album and they're going to be in Chicago on April 26th, Full of Hell is going to be here on March 11 and I want their CD and a shirt, I'm still waiting on those four Panopticon CDs I order, I just ordered Debemur Morti's reissue of The Eye (the only side project of Vindsval that I needed).  That's all I know of right now, but I have a feeling there's going to be a lot more.  (Plus, I already have a huge list of people's back catalogues I still need to pick up.)

EDIT: Oh yeah, new Suffocation is out this year, Standing On A Floor Of Bodies is supposed to release some splits and maybe a new full-length this year, and Psyclon Nine (an aggrotech/industrial black metal band that) is out of hiatus and working on a new album that will hopefully be out this year too.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 07:39:27 PM by oyolar »

scorpion1001

• SLAP Pal
  • All Hail Carroll
« Reply #983 on: February 13, 2013, 08:13:08 PM »
can't wait for that new suffo record, gonna jump on that shit next week

oyolar

• SLAP Pal

scorpion1001

• SLAP Pal
  • All Hail Carroll
« Reply #985 on: February 23, 2013, 04:05:04 PM »
good ass week for me - got the new suffocation and shai hulud records on tuesday, and southern lord put hella fast shipping on my order of the new nails, secret, and high on fire art of self defense remaster which shipped out thursday and got here today on saturday.  STOKED!

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #986 on: February 23, 2013, 07:17:23 PM »
Fuck man, how is it? I want that new Nails so bad. That's super early. I'm debating ordering it once I get paid since I have a new project/job now or waiting to get it once I see them live in April.

I have the same dilemma with Full of Hell's album.

Clive Burr

• Rep: -4
« Reply #987 on: February 23, 2013, 07:17:52 PM »
august burnzz.....

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #988 on: February 23, 2013, 07:47:39 PM »
Well...you tried.

scorpion1001

• SLAP Pal
  • All Hail Carroll
« Reply #989 on: February 23, 2013, 11:04:58 PM »
its fucking excellent! 10 songs in 17 minutes and very much worth the money.  can't wait to see them when they tour with xibalba, and i'll see early graves opening for the 3rd or so time so i'll buy their album at this point just to not feel like a dick haha