Author Topic: heavy metal thread  (Read 275859 times)

Clive Burr

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -4
Re: heavy metal thread
« Reply #990 on: February 24, 2013, 09:11:57 PM »
Well...you tried.

...how bout sum krew...  ?

SkateViolence

• Rep: 9
« Reply #991 on: February 25, 2013, 04:48:54 PM »
I like the new Nails a lot. I just wish that they would break out and do something a little different. SO many bands are aping that HM-2 tone. Granted, Nails aren't just playing Swedeath worship like most of them (which has its place) but there's only so many times I can hear that exact same tone without getting a little bored.

SkateViolence

« Reply #992 on: February 25, 2013, 05:06:10 PM »
I haven't listened to that much All Pigs Must Die, but I never really heard all that much Entombed in their sound. I always heard it more in Mammoth Grinder. There are a lot of bands doing the Entombed thing these days. I think these guys are doing it particularly well:

SkateViolence

« Reply #993 on: February 25, 2013, 05:28:31 PM »
Vastum is fantastic, I actually prefer them to Acephalix. They are definitely a lot more complex. Vastum's label, Contagion, put out my friends' band Ilsa's first real record. I think you'd dig it if you like stuff in that vein.

SkateViolence

« Reply #994 on: February 25, 2013, 05:39:26 PM »
Ha no shit! I live in DC and am from the area. Whereabouts are you now?

Clive Burr

• Rep: -4
« Reply #995 on: February 25, 2013, 05:39:39 PM »
How about no Crue.� You didn't even spell their misspelled name correctly.

Rich- the new Nails is gnarly.� It's not all fast like last time, but when it lurches into the slower songs it crushes.

Scorpion, you have the oddest taste.� You like SO much.

i will see your spell check ...and raise you one dream theater...

scorpion1001

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 40
  • All Hail Carroll
« Reply #996 on: February 25, 2013, 07:21:59 PM »
my theory is that theres bands/music worth listening to in each genre, so i try to stay pretty open especially within the realms of metal and its subgenres.  not much of a black metal fan though, aside from craft (which i'd not really count as full on black metal)

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 383
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #997 on: February 25, 2013, 08:32:18 PM »
There's only a couple that matter.  Nails is one.  In terms of Entombed riffs, All Pigs Must Die is all that matters.  Filter the rest.

Pretty much how I feel.  I'm excited to hear that new Nails soon. And I definitely need to look more into Acephalix and Mammoth Grinder. 

I follow this one blog (http://ingrindwetrust.tumblr.com/) that's a great gateway to learn about a lot of grind/powerviolence bands.  SO I have a big list from her blog alone.

Full of Hell/Homewrecker/Weekend Nachos are coming in March, Nails will be here in April, Rotten Sound will be here in May.  I'm very stoked for all of this, I just hope I have the money.

dirtyweemidden

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 59
« Reply #998 on: February 26, 2013, 06:28:03 AM »
On friday night i was in a local bar and saw a heavily Sabbath influenced band from Gothenberg called doomdogs,
pleasantly surtprised at how rad they were.. think first couple of sabbath albums slowed down and heavied up,
they got a few tracks on spotify do yourself a favour and check em out!

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #999 on: February 26, 2013, 08:30:17 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I'm from Silver Spring, MD, but I moved out of there years ago dueto how expensive it was becoming.  I live in Kansas City now, the Midwest has it's pros and cons too.

Rich-  Definitely check out MG and Acephalix.  For some reason I always say if you check out MG, you need to check out Hatred Surge- probably just because they're from the same area, and if you check them out then Insect Warfare is a must.

Man, have fun at those shows!  Say hi to John from Weekend Nachos, he's the best dude!

Insect Warfare is awesome. I like that super noisy grind they have in what I've listened to from them. I remember listening to them a while ago, when i was first getting into grindcore, and not liking it. But after I started getting used to it, I like what I've heard.

SkateViolence

« Reply #1000 on: February 26, 2013, 08:42:31 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I'm from Silver Spring, MD, but I moved out of there years ago dueto how expensive it was becoming.� I live in Kansas City now, the Midwest has it's pros and cons too.

Ahh yeah? I'll be on tour out to the Midwest for the first time in March. We're not getting too close to KC though.

SkateViolence

« Reply #1001 on: February 26, 2013, 09:09:58 AM »
I play drums in this dbeat/raw hardcore band called State Violence. Here's a link if you're interested:

https://soundcloud.com/napierbradley/gleichschaltung-state-violence

We're going to Cleveland, Chicago, Grand Rapids, Columbus, and I think Whitesburg, KY?

SkateViolence

« Reply #1002 on: February 27, 2013, 10:14:25 AM »
It was two songs stuck together, haha

fookya

• Rep: -12
« Reply #1003 on: February 27, 2013, 10:18:17 AM »
A band I've been a big fan of for a little while now is Iron Reagan, some of you might know of them already. The band is made up of member from municipal waste, cannabis corpse and darkest hour. They have a new record coming out next month, and I was lucky enough to snag a test pressing of the 12".

here's a new song and footage from that show that the venue posted last night.

SkateViolence

« Reply #1004 on: March 01, 2013, 08:04:04 PM »
I'll give them credit, they are a lot better than Municipal Waste. That being said, I just can't get into them because I hate Municipal Waste and I just can't not think of them when I hear Tony's vocals. Also, the drummer cheat beats and the drums are mixed in a way that makes it really obvious. As a drummer, that's a big pet peeve of mine.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 08:07:18 PM by SkateViolence »

EARL***THE***PEARL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -114
  • MR.MADN3SSS LOVES YOU... NT MM
« Reply #1005 on: March 04, 2013, 10:01:23 PM »

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1006 on: March 14, 2013, 08:28:11 PM »
Forgot to look into Acephalix and MG, but I got in my copy of The Eye's reissue (an early side project of Vindsval, the main guy from Blut Aus Nord).  It really resembles early BAN, which is my least favorite BAN era, but it works for a different band.  Got my Panopticon albums in too and I'm only on the second one out of four, but I'm really liking them.  I knew I would, but it's still surprising.

Filip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -57
« Reply #1007 on: March 15, 2013, 04:09:57 AM »
I just stumbled across this band. Never heard of them before, but One of more of the members are now in Kylesa. And this shit is absolutely amazing.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1008 on: March 22, 2013, 11:20:47 AM »
Really, really liked the Panopticon albums.  My only complaint is that Panopticon's half of the split with When Bitter Spring Sleeps doesn't have as good of production as his other releases.

Went on a splurge and bought Full of Hell's Roots Of Earth Are Consuming My Home, Leviathan's The Tenth Sub Level of Suicide and Tentacles of Whorror, and Panopticon's Social Disservices.  And I'm still behind on my list of wanted albums.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1009 on: March 22, 2013, 02:36:57 PM »
Yeah, I've had TSL on my iPod for a while because a friend gave it to me when I was first getting into black metal seriously, but it was way too raw for me at the time.  I just wanted to add the physical copy to my collection.  I was going to get Silhouette in Splinters, but have to pace myself.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1010 on: March 23, 2013, 05:42:30 PM »
Yeah, I've read the reviews and have heard it's more ambient.  I actually got my copy of ToW already and I'm listening to it right now.  I went on another splurge today at a used record store and got Crowpath's Son of Sulphur, Deathspell Omega's Fas-Ite, Maledicti, In Ignem Aeturnum, Agoraphobic Nosebleed's PCP Torpedo/ANbRX, and Liberteer's Better To Die On Your Feet Than Live On Your Knees.  Bought more than I wanted (I was just going to get the DSO album), but the Liberteer was like 3 bucks, I never see Crowapath anywhere, and ANb was 4 bucks, so why not?

SkateViolence

« Reply #1011 on: March 23, 2013, 06:11:49 PM »
While I don't listen to much black metal like Leviathan regularly, I love Weakling. Dead as Dreams is a masterpiece. Also, their guitarist's other project, Dispirit, is awesome.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1012 on: April 07, 2013, 06:19:56 PM »
I remember a lot of people talking about Weakling, but I have to listen to their full album before really making a judgement on them.

Social Disservices is awesome though. I even hear some Blut Aus Nord influence on it, which is awesome. The album artwork and design are awesome too. I've been listening to Full of Hell's album a lot too.

Filip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -57
« Reply #1013 on: April 09, 2013, 03:10:07 AM »
New Evile album preview, this sound awesome. Evile is growing on me more and more with every album they put out.

helter

• Rep: 0
« Reply #1014 on: April 17, 2013, 09:57:01 PM »
black sabbath
judas priest
slayer
toxic holocaust
r.a.m.b.o
pentagram
witchcraft
graveyard
merciful fate
motorhead

SkateViolence

« Reply #1015 on: April 18, 2013, 12:44:29 PM »
yep, most of those are metal bands.

scorpion1001

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 40
  • All Hail Carroll
« Reply #1016 on: April 21, 2013, 12:13:03 AM »
really stoked on this cover

BallDontLie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 678
« Reply #1017 on: April 22, 2013, 07:49:34 PM »
This is probably more sludge and doom, but this band rips so hard

For years I couldn't figure out the opening sample. It's from the serpent and the rainbow.
if the mods were wu-tang, dean would be cappadonna

SkateViolence

« Reply #1018 on: April 24, 2013, 05:18:42 PM »
I used to get into Toadliquor a lot.

I'm so happy the last few years have spawned a rebirth of dark, Finnish-style death metal. For those of you into that sort of thing, this is about as good as it gets:

« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 05:20:30 PM by SkateViolence »

ScreamingHand

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 19
« Reply #1019 on: April 25, 2013, 06:36:50 AM »
kings scream @ :43