Author Topic: heavy metal thread  (Read 275765 times)

oyolar

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 383
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: heavy metal thread
« Reply #1290 on: October 27, 2015, 07:30:13 PM »
I really like that Akhlys album.  I think I mentioned it to you on Facebook several months ago when it first came out and you kinda said the same thing, that you were taking a break from metal.  Glad it grabbed you.

@sleazy, here are some albums to check out. i havent had any other blackish metal bands evoke the same feelings as anything deafheaven
lantlos - neon
alcest - ecailles de lune
██████ (aka nic)- demo
archivist - s/t

You can check is the "Similar Artists" list fro deafheaven from Metal Archives, which is usually pretty helpful:

http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Deafheaven/3540315870

Out of this list, I would suggest Alcest, Wolves in the Throne Room, An Autumn for Crippled Children, Bosse-de-Nage, and A Pregnant Light to check out.

Speaking of A Pregnant Light, I've been listening to this song non-stop for a while now:

summertimebluesdaddy

• Rep: -14
« Reply #1291 on: October 27, 2015, 07:35:43 PM »
Always a bridesmaid, never a bride...

chirs

• Rep: 1
  • i have diarrhea every single day
« Reply #1292 on: October 27, 2015, 09:54:30 PM »

wow this is fucking sick. thanks for linking

Rusty_Berrings

« Reply #1293 on: October 28, 2015, 06:01:05 AM »

BallDontLie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 678
« Reply #1294 on: November 01, 2015, 05:25:38 PM »
Also had that sick EP of Black Sabbath covers.
if the mods were wu-tang, dean would be cappadonna

DISTANT RUMOURS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 400
« Reply #1295 on: November 06, 2015, 03:30:34 PM »
Great stuff Distant Rumours! I dig this Neurosis/AmenRa vibe... Liked on Facebook page!

Sleazy, like already mentioned, check Lantlos. Their .Neon album is breathtaking.

Also check Castevet, Mounds of Ash is a great album.

thanks!!!! and lantlos kicks ass

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
« Reply #1296 on: November 07, 2015, 11:39:56 AM »
this is without a doubt my favorite grindcore album... actually could be my favorite post-Celtic Frost metal album of all time.  a serious work of spastic/pissed/freaked out art.   

Dirtymac

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -54
« Reply #1297 on: November 10, 2015, 05:18:11 PM »
heavy metal huh?.....these bands wouldn't know a "groove" if it hit them in the face with a hammer. No wonder all you young bloods are so fucked up in the head listening to this rubbish. Sounds like a dying cow in a hail storm...
"Never talk shit about a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes. That way you're a mile away AND you've got his shoes"

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1298 on: November 11, 2015, 01:08:43 PM »
heavy metal huh?.....these bands wouldn't know a "groove" if it hit them in the face with a hammer. No wonder all you young bloods are so fucked up in the head listening to this rubbish. Sounds like a dying cow in a hail storm...

Groove??  Hhahaha.... Post some Pantera then bro
« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 06:15:43 AM by bea! »

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1299 on: November 13, 2015, 06:28:16 AM »
i retract what I said about Brutal Truth's "Animal Kingdom" being my favorite post-Celtic Frost metal album.... it's without a doubt this:

also wanted to say RIP to the almighty Phil "Philthy Animal" Taylor, one of the greatest drummers of all time

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
« Reply #1300 on: November 13, 2015, 06:49:28 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Groove??  Hhahaha.... Post some Pantera then bro
"My name is Phil Anselmo. You might know me from such bands as Pan-Fucking-Tera!!!!"

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1301 on: December 21, 2015, 07:22:54 PM »
That was fucking rad!

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

Grampa

• Rep: 143
« Reply #1302 on: December 27, 2015, 11:47:49 PM »
Never liked metal but I can't stop listening to anything this band puts out. Maybe I still don't like metal?

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1303 on: December 28, 2015, 07:16:12 AM »
Never liked metal but I can't stop listening to anything this band puts out. Maybe I still don't like metal?

if you get a chance Grampa, check them out live.  it's a trip.

one of the members is also in Vomitor, which is by far the best death/thrash band since the first wave.

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 711
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #1304 on: December 28, 2015, 04:14:43 PM »
People are in a dark mood here! haha

When i'm not listening to crappy "whatevercore" i like to ear this kind of Dark/occult stuff, not my go to thing but it's interesting.
When i discovered The Body i was like "wtf, this shit is like nightmares in music form!"... Hard to listen but cool shit indeed! That live set is awesome, Thou is on my list of bands to check out.
I was in a Portal mood the time Vexovoid was released, intense shit that's for sure! Never heard their other releases tho. You need to be in the right mood to go through a Portal album.

Right now i'm checking the last Mgla album. I heard lots of people talking good things about it and damn, they're right. The melodies man, the melodies...

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #1305 on: December 29, 2015, 04:56:02 AM »
Also, the best Portal albums are, in my opinion, Seepia and Outre. Be sure to check out the recent split between Gnaw Their Tongues and Dragged Into Sunlight. Both are excellent on their own as well.

I heard a bit of that Gnar/Dragged split but then i forgotten about it! I was in a Dragged Into Sunlight mood somewhere in the summer, i listened a lot of their first album, Hatred For Mankind. Such a huge beast of an album, i love the rawness and grimness of it! Havent listened much of the second one, Widowmaker, but i'll make it someday.

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #1306 on: December 29, 2015, 05:24:29 AM »
Well, I'll contribute with something too!

Some French Post-Black with some spice of post-Hardcore/sludge. Great shit!

Found this band randomly and really liked it, Hatebomb, from Russia. Some Raw Thrash/Black injected of Hardcore Punk.
http://hellbomb.bandcamp.com/album/hatebombs-from-hell

A totally diferent vibe, but love me some chaotic/mathy/nausea inducing stuff. This is the best shit that came out in recent years, none of that djent crap that keeps coming out. FFO: Tony Danza, Ion Dissonance, Meshuggah, and any true cutting edge mathcore band...

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

Xtal

« Reply #1307 on: December 30, 2015, 01:28:58 PM »

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #1308 on: December 30, 2015, 01:38:58 PM »

This guy like's The Red Chord? Well, he's not as stupid as i thought... haha

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

Xtal

« Reply #1309 on: December 30, 2015, 02:15:46 PM »

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 383
« Reply #1310 on: December 30, 2015, 02:22:37 PM »
People still listen to Job For A Cowboy?  I was hoping they died when MySpace did.

EDIT: I'm liking this Frontierer album so far for like noisy/mathy post-hardcore, which is usually not really what I'm into.

I'm making my way through a lot of CDs that came out this year but I got for Christmas versus purchasing myself.  If you miss Akercocke, here is The Antichrist Imperium's S/T album which is based off of Akercocke's last demos before they broke up:

Here's another great black metal album too:

https://dmp666.bandcamp.com/album/the-dreaming-i

Here's one of my favorite albums.  It's from the same guy that does Gnaw Their Tongues, but it's his electronic/industrial black metal band called Cloak of Altering.  I actually prefer this material to Gnaw Their Tongues.

https://crucialblast.bandcamp.com/album/manifestation
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 02:30:16 PM by oyolar »

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #1311 on: December 30, 2015, 02:31:20 PM »
People still listen to Job For A Cowboy?  I was hoping they died when MySpace did.
I always forget about them but i guess yes. Now they try to sell to that tech/death audience. I liked their earlier deathcore stuff when i was younger but i could care less for their last offerings... 

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

Xtal

« Reply #1312 on: December 30, 2015, 02:46:14 PM »
People still listen to Job For A Cowboy?  I was hoping they died when MySpace did.

EDIT: I'm liking this Frontierer album so far for like noisy/mathy post-hardcore, which is usually not really what I'm into.

I'm making my way through a lot of CDs that came out this year but I got for Christmas versus purchasing myself.  If you miss Akercocke, here is The Antichrist Imperium's S/T album which is based off of Akercocke's last demos before they broke up:

Here's one of my favorite albums.  It's from the same guy that does Gnaw Their Tongues, but it's his electronic/industrial black metal band called Cloak of Altering.  I actually prefer this material to Gnaw Their Tongues.

DOOM will forever be an amazing EP. Everything after that I wasn't a fan of. I was just uploading a few favorites off the top of my head. I listen to an insane amount of music of all different types of genres. I have over 2TB of music in external hard drives so it's hard to put all my favorite metal shit on here without flooding the thread.

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #1313 on: December 30, 2015, 02:59:35 PM »

I'm making my way through a lot of CDs that came out this year but I got for Christmas versus purchasing myself.  If you miss Akercocke, here is The Antichrist Imperium's S/T album which is based off of Akercocke's last demos before they broke up:

Here's one of my favorite albums.  It's from the same guy that does Gnaw Their Tongues, but it's his electronic/industrial black metal band called Cloak of Altering.  I actually prefer this material to Gnaw Their Tongues.

Well, glad you dig the Frontierer album! Was kinda of a shot in the dark, didnt thought anyone here would like it. It's not a easy one to go all the way through.

I downloaded that The Antichrist Imperium album but forgotten completely about it... Fuck, Akercocke's
"Words That Go Unspoken..." has been one of the most played for me this year in terms of death metal. I still need to go through the Voices's London too.

That AKHLYS one must be good since it's the Nightbringer guy behind it, their last album was nuts!

I saw a bit of Gnaw Their Tongues live this year but them my girl was begging me to go home (was the last show of the fest). Never let your "non metalhead" girlfriend go with you to a fest. haha
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 03:02:44 PM by Sk.A.T.A.N »

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

brycickle

• SLAP Pal

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #1315 on: January 02, 2016, 07:05:31 PM »
http://decibelmagazine.com/blog/2015/8/13/they-did-it-all-for-the-nookie-decibel-explores-the-rise-and-fall-of-nu-metal

I enjoyed that reading... As a kid that started to get into heavier music by Nu-metal i'm only thankful it existed. People overlook it, but i think it done more for the scene than it took away. It give to the genre the shine that was missing to metal, taking it to the mainstream, and people started to give a shit about metal again. Maybe i wouldnt be listening to metal if it wasnt the earlier Linkin Park or KoRn albuns. It was like a open door to a genre that was too secretive and underground at the time, nobody would start listening to Death Metal that easy ahaha. My generation wouldnt be hearing metal if it wasnt this Nu Metal thing opening a bridge between mainstream and underground.

I have to say that KoRn playing their debut album from start to finish this year was one of, if not, the show i enjoyed the most this year, what a flashback it was.
I do think the Nu-Metal as a main genre will not come back again (at least to how huge it was), but his influence is a new trend and i have kind of a soft spot for that...

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1316 on: January 03, 2016, 08:57:19 AM »
While I don't agree with you on Nu Metal, I'm glad you enjoyed the article.

Filip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -57
« Reply #1317 on: January 12, 2016, 04:07:25 AM »
Voivod and Eyehategod were just announced to Brutal Assault 2016, Im so fucking hyped.

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #1318 on: January 20, 2016, 04:22:11 PM »
Voivod and Eyehategod were just announced to Brutal Assault 2016, Im so fucking hyped.

That's great! Voivod went to Lisbon last year with Obituary, Suffocation and Napalm Death. When i was about to get the tickets they were already sold out. I had a pretty dope Voivod phase at my teens where i listened a lot of Killing Technology and Dimension Hatross. I've seen Obi and Suffo already but been waiting to catch Napalm on stage too.

Also this was annouced this week. I've seen Full of Hell last year but the show was too short and the stage too big. This one will be at a smaller venue, chaotic things will happen and then The Body to haunt my dreams.  AND ITS ON MY BIRTHDAY. best party ever i can already tell.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 09:09:38 AM by Sk.A.T.A.N »

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

scorpion1001

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 40
  • All Hail Carroll
« Reply #1319 on: January 22, 2016, 08:04:46 PM »
napalm is so good live, barney has more energy than motherfuckers half his age