Author Topic: heavy metal thread  (Read 275786 times)

Sleazy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 262
  • tiger style
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: heavy metal thread
« Reply #1350 on: March 19, 2016, 08:41:51 AM »
Just came back from Sunnata show, it was great. Kind of like a heavier, more metal Kyuss. Bought a shirt too, I havent done that in a long time.

fuck that was cool. wasn't expecting that at all. definitely going to check out some more of their stuff.

scorpion1001

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 40
  • All Hail Carroll
« Reply #1351 on: March 19, 2016, 06:10:03 PM »
it is indeed a great month for grindcore, rotten sound and gadget records are both sick and i've still been listening to magrudergrind II heavy.

seeing intronaut/scale the summit in a couple weeks, that's gonna be a great show. so bummed the ocean dropped off but i'm a big STS fan anyway.

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 711
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #1352 on: March 20, 2016, 06:13:49 AM »
it is indeed a great month for grindcore, rotten sound and gadget records are both sick and i've still been listening to magrudergrind II heavy.

seeing intronaut/scale the summit in a couple weeks, that's gonna be a great show. so bummed the ocean dropped off but i'm a big STS fan anyway.

Yeah!! Magrudergrind one is fuckin' sick!!! I posted about it in the hardcore thread althrough this maybe was the best thread for it. Ahah
Damn, i wish i could catch Intronaut on tour. Their last album is so damn amazing. I listened to it non stop by the very end of the last year and it became one of my top 5 releases of the year. Amazing musicians!

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #1353 on: April 16, 2016, 07:20:26 AM »
Holy fucking shit! My neck just broke...  :o

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
« Reply #1354 on: April 16, 2016, 07:28:08 AM »
That was good.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 123
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #1355 on: April 17, 2016, 11:39:00 PM »
I've heard a lot about that band. Powerviolence really is trending at the moment isn't it?
Anyone out there into Column of Heaven?

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

IcanthelpitImfromMilwaukee

• Rep: 6
« Reply #1356 on: April 18, 2016, 06:20:21 AM »
Column of Heaven is fantastic.  Check dude's first band Endless Blockade as well.

But yeah, Nails mix hardcore and grind pretty perfectly.  Can't wait to hear the rest of that new one.  I think them and All Pigs Must Die were the last new bands I gave a shit about.
Weird they're on Nuclear Blast. Seems like they mostly sign lame stoner/power metal bands, or classic bands past their prime. Oh well, get paid. Endless Blockade are homies of mine, sick fucking band. Their split w/ Hatred Surge is no joke.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 123
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #1357 on: April 18, 2016, 07:07:41 PM »
Column of Heaven is fantastic.  Check dude's first band Endless Blockade as well.

But yeah, Nails mix hardcore and grind pretty perfectly.  Can't wait to hear the rest of that new one.  I think them and All Pigs Must Die were the last new bands I gave a shit about.

No guess who their influences are? ;)
I think I've heard them before actually. Just wish I had my record player with me; actually sitting down with an album is so much better than downloading it straight to your iphone :-\

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

« Reply #1358 on: April 20, 2016, 05:55:36 PM »
Yeah, especially this kind of music.  It just doesn't work.
Just saw that they're playing Southwest Terror Fest this year with St. Vitus, Pig Destroyer, and INFEST in October. I might make the trip out, it's worth it for INFEST alone.

FrenchFriedClownFingers

• Rep: 117
  • evensteven
« Reply #1359 on: April 20, 2016, 06:59:47 PM »
is anyone into Brutal Death Metal? here's my humble attempt haha

https://www.facebook.com/phmldhyde/?ref=aymt_homepage_panel
even the steven

scorpion1001

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 40
  • All Hail Carroll
« Reply #1360 on: June 11, 2016, 06:21:19 PM »
the new NAILS record is going to get people killed

swag nollies

« Reply #1361 on: June 12, 2016, 10:18:29 PM »
Vietnamese black metal

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #1362 on: June 13, 2016, 03:37:50 PM »
the new NAILS record is going to get people killed

I'm 100% sure about it. They just skip every mellower part and go straight to the neck. Holy shit.

I think this one isnt really the style that people dig here but I'm so stoked these guys are back, I used to love them back in the day. I have no patience for the new breed of Deathcore bands and their progressive/downtempo shit . These guys came back from the dead to show those little punks how its done. Brutal DM riffs, HxC parts + Wiggerish slams with Breeees all the way. Imagine if Dying Fetus had a baby with Hatebreed, those would be it. 

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

the goat cheese of Mendes

« Reply #1363 on: June 14, 2016, 03:54:03 AM »
The New Fange is Out! Harsh sludge/hardcore (?) and HM2 worship from Brittany.

https://fange.bandcamp.com/album/purge

And their first release is still one of my favorite when it comes to breaking things around you.
They are also parts of Huata, a great doom band and some other harsh noise/ambient project.

chirs

• Rep: 1
  • i have diarrhea every single day
« Reply #1364 on: September 23, 2016, 08:45:09 PM »

ive gotten pretty into this bands stuff, this album is fucking amazing

BallDontLie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 678
« Reply #1365 on: December 13, 2016, 05:08:03 AM »
"Cleaved asunder" might be my favorite track, granted they're all great on that record. They do this amazing Bolt Thrower cover on an earlier EP. Should be on YouTube
if the mods were wu-tang, dean would be cappadonna

Bobby Peru

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 610
    • Community Push avatar image
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1366 on: December 18, 2016, 04:31:48 PM »
I had the chance to see Carcass, Deafheaven, and Inter Arma while I was in Madison for Thanksgiving weekend. I'd never heard Inter Arma prior to seeing them live and I was very pleasantly surprised. They have a western twangy ambience like Earth's later albums, except they're a mixture of black and doom metal. Really crushing stuff, thanks mostly to their drummer and his endless stamina. Here's a track, but it works better if you listen to the album front to back.

French manicure

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 267
« Reply #1367 on: December 18, 2016, 07:22:55 PM »
Bobby how was Deafheaven? I was suppsed to see them a while back but some stuff came up and I've been kicking myself ever since.

Bobby Peru

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #1368 on: December 18, 2016, 08:25:30 PM »
They played and sounded great! I've wanted to see them for a while too and it was a fluke that my trip got extended a day and I got the chance to go so I was excited. As you know, their music isn't really moshy or fist-pumpy or sing-alongy so they're more of a watch than participate band but they don't disappoint. The drummer shreds and their singer goes off.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 08:28:45 PM by Bobby Peru »

French manicure

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 267
« Reply #1369 on: December 18, 2016, 08:51:33 PM »
They played and sounded great! I've wanted to see them for a while too and it was a fluke that my trip got extended a day and I got the chance to go so I was excited. As you know, their music isn't really moshy or fist-pumpy or sing-alongy so they're more of a watch than participate band but they don't disappoint. The drummer shreds and their singer goes off.

Ahhhh, man that is so rad to here.  I guess next time I gonna have to make sure I catch em'.  Also, sometimes its nice to just watch a band rather than having a ton of sweaty people running/moshing into you all night.

« Reply #1370 on: December 20, 2016, 08:51:57 AM »
I had the chance to see Carcass, Deafheaven, and Inter Arma while I was in Madison for Thanksgiving weekend. I'd never heard Inter Arma prior to seeing them live and I was very pleasantly surprised. They have a western twangy ambience like Earth's later albums, except they're a mixture of black and doom metal. Really crushing stuff, thanks mostly to their drummer and his endless stamina. Here's a track, but it works better if you listen to the album front to back.

Inter Arma have a lot of homies of the Madison/Milwaukee scenes and have played there relatively frequently since they began (usually small DIY shows, with Carcass it was at the Majestic, I assume? That's an upgrade from the Wisco for sure). I'm glad they're getting some shine. Ever listen to their guitarist's/vocalist's other band Bastard Sapling? Not as good as Inter Arma, but solid and worth checking out if you haven't.
Still hate Deafheaven.

Grind King Rims

« Reply #1371 on: December 20, 2016, 09:03:10 AM »

Still hate Deafheaven.

Same. I was really into them for a while, especially their first couple of shorter releases, but I saw them live while they were touring off of sunbather and I was immediately turned off. I left and waited for my friends in another part of the bar. Coincidentally, my friends who also attended that show (and are way more into black metal than I am) left the show as fans whereas they weren't when they went in.

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #1372 on: December 20, 2016, 04:15:43 PM »
Saw Deafheaven once and it was one of the best music performances I've seen live. Like it almost felt like playback because all the parts played were on point, even the fuckin' solos were exactly like on their records. The vocalist goes ape shit but the rest are pretty chill, dont move that much, probably just focused on the playing. Overall a great show.

Never heard that much of Inter Arma music but I see some hype around them, at least they appear on my facebook wall from time to time. Need to check them out when I'm on the mood.

I dont know about you guys but the new Gatecreeper is fuckin' crushing. Old swedish HM-2 guitar sound injected with HxC steroids.

Also the Venom Prison one. Pretty heavy Death Metal with the ocasional Slam and HxC influence. Really agressive but I find it catchy as hell.

AND THE NEW WORMROT ALBUM! Seriously one of the best grindcore deliveries I've heard in a long time. They were good but they outdid themselves in this one.

I have a lot of Metal albums to check out but I've been slacking and distracted with Hardcore stuff. I need to listen to the new Ion Dissonance, Car Bomb, Alcest, Ulcerate, Dillinger and many others...

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

ungzilla

« Reply #1373 on: December 20, 2016, 08:20:40 PM »

I have a lot of Metal albums to check out but I've been slacking and distracted with Hardcore stuff. I need to listen to the new Ion Dissonance, Car Bomb, Alcest, Ulcerate, Dillinger and many others...

Yo, that shit rules. If you like them, I think it highly likely that you'll highly enjoy this also:

https://blood-music.bandcamp.com/album/darkness-transcend

it's also fully on spotify if you use that (at least it is in the US).

I can't stop spinning the release from Chthe'ilist that came out earlier this year. Great riffs and vibe, and the guitar leads and the solos... Incredible, not in a tacky way, they remind me of the the best solos from Death.

https://profoundlorerecords.bandcamp.com/album/le-dernier-cr-puscule

« Last Edit: December 20, 2016, 08:26:21 PM by ungzilla »

ungzilla

« Reply #1374 on: December 22, 2016, 12:51:25 PM »
for fans of virus, and using the term veeerrrrrry loosely, some hecka weird black metal, jazzy black metal?

https://pogavranjenband.bandcamp.com/album/jedva-ekam-da-nikad-ne-umrem

Bobby Peru

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #1375 on: December 31, 2016, 12:22:06 PM »
Inter Arma have a lot of homies of the Madison/Milwaukee scenes and have played there relatively frequently since they began (usually small DIY shows, with Carcass it was at the Majestic, I assume? That's an upgrade from the Wisco for sure). I'm glad they're getting some shine. Ever listen to their guitarist's/vocalist's other band Bastard Sapling? Not as good as Inter Arma, but solid and worth checking out if you haven't.

It was at the Majestic. Just checked out Bastard Sapling and I like the D-beat injection. More "straightforward" than Inter Arma I guess you'd say. I recently had a conversation with somebody that it's cool that black metal seems to exist comfortably alongside hardcore (usually via grind/doom) in recent years compared to the 90s and 2000s. And to bring this full circle, that conversation was with a member of Madison band Bereft, who I was recently introduced to and happy to find out about. I guess I'd describe them as "post blackened doom" for those unfamiliar:

« Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 12:30:07 PM by Bobby Peru »

ungzilla

« Reply #1376 on: January 06, 2017, 08:00:09 AM »
I was perusing metal review sites, and saw this photo under a listing for upcoming releases, looks like the dude from Bison BC may be a Slap Pal, anyone know if he posts? Not really familiar with their jams... seems to fall in the general category of stoner/doom.

"Vancouver's most pissed off metal band is slowing down a little as they settle into fatherhood. After keeping a relatively regular release schedule with 2008's Quiet Earth, 2010's Dark Ages, and 2012's Lovelessness, the new material started to trickle, rather than flood forth from the Bison camp. 2014 saw the release of the Ten Thousand Needles EP, which saw the band slowing themselves down, darkening their sound significantly. Small snippets of recorded material on social media, as well as new tracks I had a chance to hear live last year indicate that Bison is continuing to explore this darker, brooding side of their music. These guys haven't disappointed yet; I'm confident they will do it again."

The_9

• Rep: 22
« Reply #1377 on: January 08, 2017, 02:42:34 PM »

Anyone for a touch of The afternoon gentlemen?

Huell Howser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 251
« Reply #1378 on: January 11, 2017, 11:54:07 AM »
one of the all time gr8s!

« Reply #1379 on: January 11, 2017, 12:52:38 PM »
one of the all time gr8s!

Too many people don't know how correct you are.