Author Topic: Da Camping Thread  (Read 4310 times)

j....soy.....

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Da Camping Thread
« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2020, 08:52:37 PM »
Never camped before, what are your recommendations to get started? (post Covid of course)

I'm a fair weathered camper but just with a tent, sleeping bag and stove you can get a lot done.  I've never felt a need to get a super warm sleeping bag because I only camp in summer.  I always drive so I don't need a super light tent....I think if you're hiking around or in subzero weather, you don't need much. 

BeanieMcGee

• Rep: 5
« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2020, 09:22:31 PM »
Expand Quote
Never camped before, what are your recommendations to get started? (post Covid of course)
[close]

I'm a fair weathered camper but just with a tent, sleeping bag and stove you can get a lot done.  I've never felt a need to get a super warm sleeping bag because I only camp in summer.  I always drive so I don't need a super light tent....I think if you're hiking around or in subzero weather, you don't need much.

I think a sleeping pad helps a lot too for comfort.  For winter/cold weather camping it helps keep the heat from being sucked out by the cold ground.  You can get a cheap foam one and it doubles as a seating pad as well.

rupertspupkin

• Rep: 11
« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2020, 12:46:33 AM »
I'm digging this out from the grave - Who likes camping here? Slight twist on the title... what's your favorite national park?

Prior to COVID-19, I tried to go camp once a month in small campgrounds around Ventura and Santa Barbara county. Camping on the beach sucks but it's nice at night. 

Twice a year, I try to hit major national parks on the west. Yosemite, Sequoia, Grand Canyon and Monument Valley.

Out of all the places I've stayed, Monument Valley was the most peaceful and breathtaking place I've ever been.

Where I'd like to go between 2020-2022:
-Yellowstone
-Glacier
-Crater lake

What's your favorite campground around Santa Barbara. Trying to get out of town for a weekend...

Telly

• Rep: -150
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2020, 09:16:10 AM »
Just had to share this inflatable kayak sale:

https://www.jayshop.space/

$99.00 on a 2 person joint!

Is going cheap on a kayak the best bet? 

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1035
« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2020, 10:08:28 AM »

Actually you pointing that out was good because I think it was a FAKE WEBSITE Attached is what I thought was selling for $99

https://www.rei.com/product/172509/aquaglide-deschutes-145-tandem-inflatable-kayak
« Last Edit: July 08, 2020, 10:19:36 AM by GardenSkater77 »

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1351
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2020, 01:08:54 PM »
Got hooked up with a really incredible spot on BLM land in the Kings Range outside Petrolia, CA. God, is it nice. Right on the river bar.

Come August, after we get settled in the new place, I'm going to take a solo bike camping trip around the county. Lots of climbs from sea level to 3000ft
If you plant ice, you’re gonna harvest wind

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2020, 04:50:39 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

craigslist kayaks are where it's at. I've gotten 3 $600 yaks for $100/each.

Telly

« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2020, 07:01:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Got to love a deal.
I live in river-Ville in the land of 10k lakes, so kayaks sell quickly around here. 
I’m just not sure I would hit my favorite sections for kayaking on a cheap inflatable kayak. 

Lenny the Fatface

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 331
« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2020, 02:55:56 PM »
@friendly dave all those places look sick dude.

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #40 on: July 09, 2020, 04:48:46 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]
Got to love a deal.
I live in river-Ville in the land of 10k lakes, so kayaks sell quickly around here. 
I’m just not sure I would hit my favorite sections for kayaking on a cheap inflatable kayak.

Ya, i feel you. I had to drive a couple hours to pick up 2 of them, but it was so worth it to buy my pop kayaks.

I got a Thule roof basket for the subaru for $200 today. those fuckers are 350 brand new. It will be great for camping and off roading

Telly

« Reply #41 on: July 09, 2020, 06:20:17 PM »
(  ) has not
(X) has used a snowboard roof rack, on a Subaru, for skateboards.

Chickenbonenowitsgone

• Rep: 2
« Reply #42 on: July 10, 2020, 06:30:17 AM »
Nothing beats a camping/skate road trip. Camp at a new spot each night and hit up various parks/spots during the day. Do a little swimming and fishing too. Montana is my favorite place for this. Lots of fun parks even in super remote locations (thanks Evergreen!) and tons of free camping.

Any recommendations on camping spots in SW Montana? Been trying to plan a trip out there since before the pandemic started, but Montana is also pretty strict with their official rules for out of towners having to quarantine for 14 days. I’ve definitely seen people taking trips out there recently with no problems though. I wanna go while I’m still not working but don’t wanna pay for any official campgrounds because of the pandemic rules and stuff. Mostly just looking to hit the evergreen parks, is it cool to just camp at the park? Any Montana pals that can give some insight are appreciated
"I could get Steven Greer to show me his asshole for 75$" - Henry Zebrowski

friendly dave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 719
  • grinding to a halt
    • grindingtoahalt avatar image
« Reply #43 on: July 10, 2020, 06:59:33 AM »
Because you can't kill and idea, and we will not be ruled!

the visuals are also mad visual yo
FTW

ihatejulio

• Mods
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1090
« Reply #44 on: July 16, 2020, 07:35:42 PM »
I want to take a car camping trip up Pacific Coast Highway/Highway 1 but I'm debating if it's really worth it at this point. The starting point would be Orange County and my turnaround point would be around Olympia or Seattle. My original plan was to hitchhike it for fun but that pastime is almost impossible to do in the age of COVID.

Never car camped before but it shouldn't be an issue except for buying the necessary gear and finding places to stay overnight. Most of my time would be spent wandering the beaches, bombing mellow hills, and hiking redwood forests. I don't know whats closed or not though, things are not looking bright at all for California. Also half the fun of camping is making friends and chopping it up with the locals over a beer or a joint but is that even a really a thing anymore? I wouldn't want to put others at risk as well.

Anyone else taken this PCH road trip before?

Donkey Lips

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1019
« Reply #45 on: August 11, 2021, 09:04:16 AM »
Who has suggestions for a camp cook station/table set up?

Hinna

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 74
« Reply #46 on: August 11, 2021, 10:07:40 AM »
keep it simple. after eating you gotta clean up and put everything away in trees and shit anyway because of wild animals

Donkey Lips

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #47 on: August 11, 2021, 01:17:25 PM »
Super helpful thanks man.

friendly dave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 719
  • grinding to a halt
    • grindingtoahalt avatar image
« Reply #48 on: August 11, 2021, 03:35:41 PM »
Are you talking like car camping, or backpacking cooking setup?
Because you can't kill and idea, and we will not be ruled!

the visuals are also mad visual yo
FTW

Rusty Shackleford

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 124
  • you know about goretex?
« Reply #49 on: August 11, 2021, 04:56:25 PM »
no matter the offroad excursion, I cannot go without a waterproof power bank, darn tough socks and a headlamp with extra batteries

Donkey Lips

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #50 on: August 12, 2021, 05:18:09 AM »
Are you talking like car camping, or backpacking cooking setup?

Car camping for this one. Had a little collapsible table set up for a stove, prep space and hanging some mugs but it’s pretty old and won’t make it another season.

Have this but the hinges on it are giving out.

Andmoreagain

• Rep: 51
« Reply #51 on: August 12, 2021, 08:42:19 AM »
I love camping but I'm not very hardcore about it. Mostly camp in the bed of my truck since I'm usually bringing a dirt bike or mountain bike when I can.

Did a 2 month solo trip thru the southwest last spring which was amazing.

Andmoreagain

• Rep: 51
« Reply #52 on: August 12, 2021, 08:48:24 AM »
Also if you are going miles into an area without service I cannot recommend the Gaia GPS app highly enough. You can download maps offline and the positioning still works. You can also use overlays for trails on pretty much any public land so it's easy to find a route out. Saved my ass when my bike ran out of gas in the Prescott NF

Uncle Jeffrey

• Rep: 36
« Reply #53 on: August 12, 2021, 06:57:20 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I got two of those Intex kayaks on sale a year or so before covid. On sale they were super cheap, like $180 for both. Really great kayaks for inflatable. Very versatile for packing in small cars, probably could've fit the single on my bike too.

However they both sprung leaks randomly at the same exact time recently. Should be patchable, but even if not they were well worth it. If anything I think spending more than that would be silly because you're still limited by the physics of the vinyl material. Enough inflations, uv, sand abrasion, salt water, etc will cause failures in any inflatable.

Anyways, favorite spot was tomales bay north of SF and Point Reyes. It feels like you're on the ocean but it's very protected. Cool islands in the middle, beaches on the far side. Just far enough paddling across to feel like you're actually getting out into the wild, without having to get crazy tired.

Otherwise had some sketchy trips because we didn't check the tide/wind at china camp, and also a cool inlet at point Reyes. China camp was the longest, hardest one mile of my life trying to get back.

Huell Howser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 248
« Reply #54 on: October 06, 2022, 08:49:33 AM »
bump

picked up this big agnes mystic UL 15 earlier this year for a great price. it's my first 'real' sleeping bag and I have loved it. it has the sleeping pad 'locking' system with the stretch net material on the bottom so I can slide the corners of the sleeping bag over the corners of the pad to prevent rolling off. its super warm and packs down pretty small. haven't done much backpacking, mostly car camping this year but its kept me super warm and been comfy

LB

• Rep: 57
« Reply #55 on: October 06, 2022, 10:28:19 AM »
Collapsible kettles are good space savers, or just use your pan of course.  A mug with removable coffee filter is good bit of kit, other than the usual stuff

streetmeat

• Rep: 172
« Reply #56 on: October 06, 2022, 10:52:10 AM »
hi, i like to backpack. my biggest trip this year was a traverse of the Wind River High Route (Skurka version). I used to run a backpacking satirical website/IG called Ultralight Jerk https://www.instagram.com/ultralightjerk/?hl=en

sacking rails

• Rep: -221
  • sacking rails
« Reply #57 on: October 06, 2022, 12:05:08 PM »
stop camping noob

Blue Fescue

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #58 on: October 07, 2022, 05:25:32 AM »
hi, i like to backpack. my biggest trip this year was a traverse of the Wind River High Route (Skurka version). I used to run a backpacking satirical website/IG called Ultralight Jerk https://www.instagram.com/ultralightjerk/?hl=en

oh the intersecting of two worlds.   way to go on the wind river high route, it always seemed amazing. 
I did the first 100 miles of the colorado trail with a friend who thru hiked it.  I only had a week but am sort of glad because he said the rain got really bad and people were getting search and rescued for hypothermia.  and a chipmunk chewed through the shoulder strap of my nashville pack cutaway. 

I enjoy ultralight jerk,  there is only so much I can read about fleece on r/ultralight

streetmeat

• Rep: 172
« Reply #59 on: October 07, 2022, 05:36:34 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

oh the intersecting of two worlds.   way to go on the wind river high route, it always seemed amazing. 
I did the first 100 miles of the colorado trail with a friend who thru hiked it.  I only had a week but am sort of glad because he said the rain got really bad and people were getting search and rescued for hypothermia.  and a chipmunk chewed through the shoulder strap of my nashville pack cutaway. 

I enjoy ultralight jerk,  there is only so much I can read about fleece on r/ultralight

a fellow Nashy Pack enjoyer  :)