Author Topic: nyc skateboard set up?  (Read 3196 times)

superpookie7

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 0
    • myspace avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
nyc skateboard set up?
« on: August 03, 2006, 09:01:13 AM »
Hello...

I used to skateboard back in high school and junior high, just skated around, never learned any tricks...anyway I'm 23 now and living in New York City. I really miss just skating around and was thinking of buying a new board. My old set up which I still have is about 8 x 31, with 44mm wheels...which I don't think is good when I think about the city's streets and sidewalks. I will probably just use the board for riding around and was considering getting a more old school shaped deck, either more of an 80's style, wider with more tail and less nose, or something more like a longboard...either way with some bigger, soft wheels. My question is which do you think is a better deck shape to go with? I don't really want a really long board or anything terribly huge...but I also don't want to eat it on my way to work. Any suggestions or tips would be much appreciated. Also, if this makes any difference I am about 5ft 5 and a girl. Thanks in advance.

mdspb

• Rep: 27
Re: nyc skateboard set up?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2006, 09:07:04 AM »
If you're just cruising, wheels should be 55 and up. Kryptonics makes a 59mm wheel that's a good roll. Spitfire 59mm 86ers are good as well. As far as deck shape, that's all about what feels good/looks appealing to you.
JAH SK8 SPB

Cliche Guevara

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2006, 09:09:39 AM »

Stereo makes some boards that might appeal to you.

superpookie7

• myspace avatar image
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2006, 10:06:16 AM »
Excellent, thanks...probably will need riser pads with wheels that big, right?

max power

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2006, 11:37:27 AM »
get a krooked zip zinger you'll be the koolest

big sexy

• Rep: -3
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2006, 12:12:43 PM »
U CANT DO TRIX? FUCKIN LOSER

FOURS

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2006, 02:12:00 PM »
get some mid or high trucks instead of riserpads.  Thunder highs, or some indys will make your cruising more enjoyable, since if you're cruising around you'll want some trucks that turn good

cold budweisers

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 615
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2006, 07:06:36 PM »
don't get a long board.

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2006, 08:19:08 PM »
That Chris Miller looks sick.

donnie_murdo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 169
  • All up in your photo !
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2006, 03:16:48 AM »
Excellent, thanks...probably will need riser pads with wheels that big, right?

Yeah you'll only need like 1/4 inch ones and try to not get the hard plastic ones, you can get rubber risers that will also "smooth" out the ride with the softer wheels, then you don't really have to worry about little stones, drains and other things that might hang you up
...can't believe this thread brought Donnie Murdo out of the woodwork!

mikefork

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2006, 10:47:42 PM »
the hubba marshmallows are really soft and go super fast because they are filming wheels so those are a good bet

warhead

• Rep: 6
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2006, 06:21:18 AM »
I've got 70mm Kryptonics Hawaii wheels under a regular 8.5 The Firm Bob Burnquist deck for my cruiser, works great,

superpookie7

• myspace avatar image
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2006, 10:56:34 AM »
Thanks for all your help and advice. I will definitely keep it all in mind while I'm trying to figure out what I want.

krapnek

• Rep: 1
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2006, 12:38:32 PM »
Hello...

I used to skateboard back in high school and junior high, just skated around, never learned any tricks...anyway I'm 23 now and living in New York City. I really miss just skating around and was thinking of buying a new board. My old set up which I still have is about 8 x 31, with 44mm wheels...which I don't think is good when I think about the city's streets and sidewalks. I will probably just use the board for riding around and was considering getting a more old school shaped deck, either more of an 80's style, wider with more tail and less nose, or something more like a longboard...either way with some bigger, soft wheels. My question is which do you think is a better deck shape to go with? I don't really want a really long board or anything terribly huge...but I also don't want to eat it on my way to work. Any suggestions or tips would be much appreciated. Also, if this makes any difference I am about 5ft 5 and a girl. Thanks in advance.

i went through somehting similar when i was your age.  i hadn't skated for 5 years (i did do tricks), and wanted to get back into it.  now, this is over 10 years ago now, and the last deck i had had was tommy guerro's last powell model.  in any case i thought i'd want to jump on something reminiscent of the glorious 80s.  i got a wide board, and big soft wheels.  but, i very quickly could see how the new boards and wheels were more functional, and very soon was riding what the kids were riding, and do to this day.  so, you may find yourself in that situation.  plus you're small, and  i think you'll find kicking around a boat to be kind of annoying after a while.

superpookie7

• myspace avatar image
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2006, 01:16:29 PM »
Yeah I was thinking about the size and lugging it around the subway when I'm not skating and I am probably going to go with something around what I have now (8 x 31)...just with some bigger, softer wheels.

magnet

• Rep: 2
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2006, 03:31:41 AM »
Pics?  j/k
If you're 5' 5" then even a 8 x 31 should be okay for cruising unless you got some hobbit feet.  Just get some bigger (softer?) wheels to deal with the bumps and cracks.  Don't get too big of a riserpad if any since the higher off the ground you are the more squirrely it'll get.

Jackers

• Rep: 11
  • Thanks GRL
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2006, 12:26:33 AM »
Can I PM   ;)
Idle

overdoso

« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2006, 12:58:00 PM »
U CANT DO TRIX? FUCKIN LOSER
hahaha
funny how 56 started a trend.. whenever something ignorant or stupid is being posted it is done in caps

ps i know you were kidding you big sexy motherfucker