Author Topic: Favorite Beer  (Read 249335 times)

The Nose Face

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 8
Re: Favorite Beer
« Reply #2010 on: April 02, 2014, 07:59:59 AM »
Expand Quote
Finally got some KBS. On tap to boot.
[close]
it's good, but i wouldn't lose my shit over it. there's better beers out there that aren't as hard to get. if you do get some, aging it is not a good idea.

Why do you say that? I got some KBS and some regular breakfast stout to age it. i figured it would be a good beer down the road.

Andrew

• Rep: -10
« Reply #2011 on: April 02, 2014, 02:40:15 PM »
The coffee flavors fads a lot, and the chocolate fades slightly too.

I missed my chance to grab some bottles (online reservations=sold out in 2 minutes) but I wasn't expecting to get any. Might go to a tapping next week, though; A bar had a Founders night in December featuring KBS (and Backwoods  ;D) so I'm not sure. Same with Black Note, we had a Bell's night the first week in March with it, but I'm still going to keep an eye out for bottles. Also missed out on Deschutes Mirror Mirror, but I might see it at the bigger chain stores in the next few days.

Said it before, but Centennial tastes like Fruity Pebbles to me.

This is a nice surprise. Pretty green, nowhere near as citrusy as I thought it'd be, it reminds me a lot of Torpedo. Just a little bit more lemony, and a little bit more floral.

Rich bitter-sweet Lagunitas malt and hops. A little more toffee than Brown Shugga, a little less than Gnarlywine.

No shortage of Curmudgeon either, stuff is so well blended.  Got a local Falconer's Flight blend IIPA coming out next week, that's always a treat.
ieatemochilds

realitycontrol

• Rep: 237
  • "only when i breathe"
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2012 on: April 02, 2014, 04:09:34 PM »
Also missed out on Deschutes Mirror Mirror, but I might see it at the bigger chain stores in the next few days.

You didn't really miss out on much.
"Judging by the state of the economy and world at large, looks like we get to be the fucked generation." - Mouth

RCB3

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 429
« Reply #2013 on: April 02, 2014, 05:28:34 PM »
Expand Quote
Also missed out on Deschutes Mirror Mirror, but I might see it at the bigger chain stores in the next few days.
[close]

You didn't really miss out on much.

Was just going to say the same thing. I just moved to Bend and you can go into the Deschutes brewery and get 4 free 4 oz. samples every day for free, which is amazing and I tried it out. Wasn't impressed and it's damn expensive for 1 bottle. I'm not sure if it's cheaper in stores, but they had 22 oz.(I think) bottles for 17 bucks.

I've been trying a bunch of new breweries since Bend is such a huge beer town and I really like Boneyard RPM IPA. It's awesome how all of these places have growler happy hours so you can go on certain days and get one filled for super cheap.

Irvine-Sucks.com

bust.factor

• Rep: 20
  • Madvillain Bistro Bed and Breakfast Bar and Grill
« Reply #2014 on: April 02, 2014, 07:46:14 PM »

Fine Young Cannibal

• Rep: 49
« Reply #2015 on: April 02, 2014, 08:10:03 PM »
Quote from: The Nose Face  link=topic=37201.msg2119403#msg2119403 date=1396450799
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
it's good, but i wouldn't lose my shit over it. there's better beers out there that aren't as hard to get. if you do get some, aging it is not a good idea.
[close]

Why do you say that? I got some KBS and some regular breakfast stout to age it. i figured it would be a good beer down the road.
The coffee and chocolate flavors don't really hold up all that well.

I've given KBS a chance on multiple occasions, and while it's definitely good I have to agree with max power.  I cracked a bottle open on Monday night and ended up giving the last 1/3 of it away.  I prefer the regular Breakfast Stout and Founders Imperial stout over it, not to mention Backwoods Bastard (my personal favorite Founders beer). As far as barrel-aged imperial stouts go, I'd say Bourbon County and Parabola have this beat.

The Nose Face

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2016 on: April 03, 2014, 08:24:46 AM »
Quote from: The Nose Face  link=topic=37201.msg2119403#msg2119403 date=1396450799
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
The coffee and chocolate flavors don't really hold up all that well.

I've given KBS a chance on multiple occasions, and while it's definitely good I have to agree with max power.  I cracked a bottle open on Monday night and ended up giving the last 1/3 of it away.  I prefer the regular Breakfast Stout and Founders Imperial stout over it, not to mention Backwoods Bastard (my personal favorite Founders beer). As far as barrel-aged imperial stouts go, I'd say Bourbon County and Parabola have this beat.

I finally had one last night - it pours like syrup and drinks pretty easy for something with 11% alcohol. I'm going to store a couple KBS and BS and drink em' at Christmas. I didn't get too much coffee or chocolate compared to the Breakfast Stout. They really are heavy as fuck - my head feels like a weight is attached to it today. It's definitely a special occasion beer. I'm with you on the Breakfast stout - when that's on tap nothing is better and drinks easy.

I saw some Creme Crulee Stout i wanna try next, or this Sour Cherry Blue point Stout.

busch

• Rep: 74
« Reply #2017 on: April 03, 2014, 05:43:57 PM »
Are any of you dudes from Arizona? My girlfriend is visiting her sister in Chandler which is just outside of Phoenix and grabbing me some craft that I can't get in CT. I like IPA's, Stouts, and Sours mostly. I do alot of trading so I've had a ton that aren't available here (drinking a Pliny right now!), but I don't think anything from AZ. Any suggestions from out there? or even things from CA (Russian River, Firestone Walker, etc, I have no idea what distributes out there). If anyone lives there specifically, any suggestions for good beer stores would be cool too. Thanks!

And yeah....I know, my Slap name is Busch....i know

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 408
« Reply #2018 on: April 03, 2014, 05:59:53 PM »
That cr?me brl??e stout is awesome.

Stoop Kid 2.0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -312
  • I still fucking hate hipsters.
« Reply #2019 on: April 03, 2014, 06:36:53 PM »
I was able to get some KBS. I bought a bottle at one store and was able to score a 4 pack and a second store. Had the one bottle and it was not worth the hype. It was good but it wasn't outstanding. Anyone have it on tap? I'm about to try it on tap tomorrow. Also Anderson valley bourbon barrel stout on tap is delicious.

floop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -28
  • the things I do for my fucking friends!
« Reply #2020 on: April 06, 2014, 07:12:32 PM »
on the 8th day God said "let thine hath beer, bros"

"Every time I read one of your shitty posts I wonder why I am wasting my time looking at SLAP."

tangar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 64
  • THINK LESS
« Reply #2021 on: April 06, 2014, 07:30:47 PM »
Cheers floop and homies! Thanks Nallid for the growler of Hop 2 It!  It might be my favorite session beer at 4.2%. I wish they bottled it. Its so damn tasty. Having a glass with my father in law celebrating his promotion and a little raise I got at work recently. I'm gonna annihilate this growler.

Man the long board truck thing killed indy for me. I was willing to set aside the racism, but long boarding, gtfo... - DH

floop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2022 on: April 06, 2014, 07:55:49 PM »
Cheers fellas. 

You Nor Cal dudes and your beautiful Russian River growlers make me envious.  If I lived in SF I'd probably go up there every weekend

on to this now.  holy shit.  this is outstanding.  one of the best barrel aged stouts i've had aside from Bourbon County

"Every time I read one of your shitty posts I wonder why I am wasting my time looking at SLAP."

Stoop Kid 2.0

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2023 on: April 08, 2014, 01:16:33 PM »
Happened to get another bottle of KBS. I might be willing to trade it considering I have 2 other bottles. I've never traded beer before and I figured it might be worth a shot if I can trade it to somebody who hasn't had it, and I'd be able to get a rarity I can't get here on the east coast. Is shipping beer legal?

tangar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 64
  • THINK LESS
« Reply #2024 on: April 08, 2014, 01:28:57 PM »

Tried this last night. It was really good. I think my work just got their regular IPA in recently so I'll be trying that soon.
Man the long board truck thing killed indy for me. I was willing to set aside the racism, but long boarding, gtfo... - DH

pancake man

• Rep: 34
« Reply #2025 on: April 08, 2014, 03:22:25 PM »
Just bottled up my Galaxy extra pale. I call it A Hitch Hiker's Guide

okdad

• Rep: 16
« Reply #2026 on: April 08, 2014, 05:39:51 PM »
Happened to get another bottle of KBS. I might be willing to trade it considering I have 2 other bottles. I've never traded beer before and I figured it might be worth a shot if I can trade it to somebody who hasn't had it, and I'd be able to get a rarity I can't get here on the east coast. Is shipping beer legal?
It depends what state you're in. However, you can just say it's something else if your state prohibits it.
Who are you to judge what kinds of cocks he wants to suck?

floop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2027 on: April 09, 2014, 10:10:13 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
It depends what state you're in. However, you can just say it's something else if your state prohibits it.

it's illegal to ship alcohol through USPS (though you can).  with FedEx and UPS it's merely against their rules (as opposed to illegal).   I've done all.  i've never heard of anyone actually getting arrested but it's a safer bet to go through FedEx or UPS.  if they found out the worst case scenario is they would give you a warning.

i've had 1 mishap in all my trades (which i've done a lot now)..  had a growler break, which was a fucking drag.  UPS basically said the contents were damaged and they had to discard the package.  no mention of the fact that delicious vietnamese coffee imperial stout was spilling out of it

pancake man

« Reply #2028 on: April 09, 2014, 02:38:29 PM »
All of this screams awesome, I really want to hit the Portland ME festival. Any Slap Pals?

http://beercamp.sierranevada.com/festival/northwest_edition

Andrew

« Reply #2029 on: April 09, 2014, 03:12:37 PM »
^I was just checking out the Chicago one, I'm gonna try to go

Today's little haul. The Expedition Stout was a nice surprise, I got the last 6 of the two cases that showed up today. Was expecting to walk out with some Consecrator, but it was already gone, so the Expo definitely helps. Also glad I checked the dates on Stone's stuff besides the Oaked Bastard I was already planning on getting- Levitation was bottled on Feb 15th and Ruination March 7th  :) Been a while since I've had either fresh, their stuff tends to sit a while here.

Excited to try Cinder Cone and Farmer's Tan, too. I'm a huge fan of hoppy reds, and really enjoy Southern Tier's IPA's and most of their non-flavored beers. I can definitely see why people like Pupking, Crem Brulee, and Choklat, though.
ieatemochilds

Andrew

« Reply #2030 on: April 09, 2014, 07:19:28 PM »

Always nice filling an imperial pint glass :) Great stuff, reminds me of Celebration. Just a little lighter body and a little more citrusy dry-hop. Really hope this stuffs stays available for $3.50/bomber.
ieatemochilds

floop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2031 on: April 09, 2014, 10:10:25 PM »
not a big haul but i'm stoked on this.  will be drinking later in the week

max power

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 675
« Reply #2032 on: April 09, 2014, 10:22:11 PM »
oh, that one sounded good.

had DRAKkeller tonight. pretty nice DIPA. could be more bitter, but it's really easy to drink at 8%.

mattofallmatts

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -110
  • "I will not skateboard in the halls"
« Reply #2033 on: April 09, 2014, 11:58:41 PM »
Colin from HenHouse (new dudes out of Petaluma) dropped off their flagship Saison and a new Oyster Stout and left me a swing top of the saison to sip on. Heavy on the spices, coriander and star anise, good body but refreshing. Fuck with these dudes.

Stoop Kid 2.0

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2034 on: April 10, 2014, 07:18:34 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

it's illegal to ship alcohol through USPS (though you can).?  with FedEx and UPS it's merely against their rules (as opposed to illegal).?  ? I've done all.?  i've never heard of anyone actually getting arrested but it's a safer bet to go through FedEx or UPS.?  if they found out the worst case scenario is they would give you a warning.

i've had 1 mishap in all my trades (which i've done a lot now)..?  had a growler break, which was a fucking drag.?  UPS basically said the contents were damaged and they had to discard the package.?  no mention of the fact that delicious vietnamese coffee imperial stout was spilling out of it

This made me laugh, and thanks for the info. Would love to know how the Agave Maria ale is after youve had it. Definitely going to pick up a bottle or two when it hits stores.

pancake man

« Reply #2035 on: April 10, 2014, 11:11:27 AM »
Anyone else hear about tequila making a beer "slick"? I was reading an article about using oak cubes soaked in tequila give the beer slick qualities and that other adjuncts were needed to cut down on that oily feeling

EXTRA SPICY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 336
  • Low Scovilles
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2036 on: April 10, 2014, 05:04:21 PM »
Anyone else hear about tequila making a beer "slick"? I was reading an article about using oak cubes soaked in tequila give the beer slick qualities and that other adjuncts were needed to cut down on that oily feeling

Really, i'm confused on this, i've never had an oily beer or tequila. Got a link to that article?
I'm really excited to have a beer tomorrow. I've been on some wild meds since breaking my leg and can't drink, it all stops tonight. There is a new brewery in Pomona next to me, they do this blonde ale with apples brewed into it. Normally i would be bummed, i like my hops, but for some unholy reason it is fucked up good.
We need Malto to release the pic of Biebel drunk in an elevator with his wiener hanging out.

_UniversalTruth_

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 42
« Reply #2037 on: April 10, 2014, 05:13:33 PM »
not a big haul but i'm stoked on this.  will be drinking later in the week

I don't know about american beer but you guys have the best artwort for sure! Make the holy mother appear like an action figure? Only in america.
right now I drink beer from the region. Support you local beer
i likes skooterboarding.. be lets friends :)

The Nose Face

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2038 on: April 10, 2014, 06:25:16 PM »
That cr?me brl??e stout is awesome.

This shit rocks. Super strong dessert brew.

pancake man

« Reply #2039 on: April 11, 2014, 06:51:01 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Really, i'm confused on this, i've never had an oily beer or tequila. Got a link to that article?
I'm really excited to have a beer tomorrow. I've been on some wild meds since breaking my leg and can't drink, it all stops tonight. There is a new brewery in Pomona next to me, they do this blonde ale with apples brewed into it. Normally i would be bummed, i like my hops, but for some unholy reason it is fucked up good.

I believe I read it in a BeerAdvocate BYOB article. Talking about reaching into the pantry for random ingredients and such, I'm trying to dig for it, but having the hardest time finding it