Author Topic: Does anyone here surf?  (Read 985 times)

able

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 636
  • omm nom
    • able Skate Mag avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Does anyone here surf?
« on: July 29, 2009, 10:17:24 AM »
I just moved right near the beach. I've been enjoying the whole vibe of it lately, the ocean, sand, waves, the raw power of nature (shit like that) and I figured I might as well try surfing. I've been looking through craigslist for a board but I have no idea what I'm getting into.

So here's what I'm wondering...

What's a good size board?

Should I be concerned with brand names?

Who's fucking killing it at surfing lately?

-thanks
ableSkateMag.com

dunkin

• Rep: 14
  • pma
Re: Does anyone here surf?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2009, 10:25:37 AM »
word, my dad is a huge surfer and my brother, i skate a whole lot more than i surf but i get down from time to time

since your just starting you probably want a bigger board. i dont know where you moved to but im not suspecting you moved to hawaii so youre probably going to have to deal with shitty waves, bigger boards help out for that too. i usually cruise longboards or fun boards which run from like seven and a half feet to somewhere around nine. go to a surfshop and check shit out, i highly recommend fun boards there not as big as longboards but there big enough to chill on and walk around and shit, which is tight.

but yeah pretty basic shit, just get out there and charge it, i find after surfing i feel way more comfortable on my skateboard, and riding a wave is a tight feeling. learning to catch waves is the hardest part, once you got that its all cake 

able

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 636
  • omm nom
    • able Skate Mag avatar image
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2009, 12:51:47 PM »
Thanks for the advice. Even though I'm a beginner I might try for a shorter board. I know it's going to make it harder for me to learn but I would like to learn how to whip around a bit when I get better. I'm really inspired by watching people ride left and right rather than just straight to the shore. Maybe that sort of thing is possible on a long board and maybe I'm getting way ahead of myself here. I don't know.

I live in Jacksonville, Florida by the way. From what I hear, people say the waves are decent but nothing compared to Hawaii or Cali. 
ableSkateMag.com

max power

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 675
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2009, 07:32:02 AM »
i used to about 10 years ago. it's fun as hell and i wish i lived near a beach, instead i'm stuck in the midwest for the next 3 years. get a cheap secondhand longboard thats at least 8', yeah they are kind of gay, but honestly, it's the best way to learn. once you have a handle on it get a shortboard. you'll be better off.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 651
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2009, 09:03:16 AM »
man i wish.....
ONTARIO CANADA