Author Topic: Guided By Voices  (Read 32336 times)

Sidewalk Funk.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Guided By Voices
« Reply #90 on: May 21, 2019, 06:32:27 AM »
figured this would probably be okay to post in this thread; Thomas Bloomer's part from the Wash D.C. video Time Will Tell (by Allen Danze). think this dropped around ~2006 and he skates to 2 Guided by Voice tracks. always thought this part was sick.

i remember he disappeared for a few years after this video dropped, but then started coming back downtown to skate again sorta out of nowhere and filmed another part for Allen's next video before it came out. sadly, he passed back in 2016. RIP

Pretty sure I recall Thomas being an active Slap poster many years ago. His skating was very popular on here when that video came out.

Always loved this Brian Clarke part skating to GBV. They compliment each other very well in my opinion.

robasheep

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 56
« Reply #91 on: May 21, 2019, 09:21:56 PM »
Saw them in Jersey this past weekend, brilliant show. They'd power through twenty songs, hit an emotional high point with something like "Motor Away" or "Jane of the Waking Universe," and just when you thought they'd finished, they'd blast through twenty more. I think the encore itself was half an hour.

Vertical filming aside...a good chunk of the performance:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3lzJhu2JbY&feature=youtu.be  Can't imbed as it is unlisted. 

gaunt

• Rep: 104
« Reply #92 on: May 22, 2019, 12:58:45 AM »
Expand Quote
figured this would probably be okay to post in this thread; Thomas Bloomer's part from the Wash D.C. video Time Will Tell (by Allen Danze). think this dropped around ~2006 and he skates to 2 Guided by Voice tracks. always thought this part was sick.

i remember he disappeared for a few years after this video dropped, but then started coming back downtown to skate again sorta out of nowhere and filmed another part for Allen's next video before it came out. sadly, he passed back in 2016. RIP

[close]

Pretty sure I recall Thomas being an active Slap poster many years ago. His skating was very popular on here when that video came out.

Always loved this Brian Clarke part skating to GBV. They compliment each other very well in my opinion.

I could see him posting here, I know Allen used to semi-regularly.

Dont think I've ever seen this part before. Definitely a good pairing of skating and music

Trashcon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 111
« Reply #93 on: June 11, 2019, 09:55:19 PM »

Expand Quote
Guided by Voices is on tour! 

4.26.16 Nashville, TN - Cannery Ballroom
4.27.16 St Louis, MO - The Ready Room
4.29.16 Lincoln, NE - Vega
4.30.16 Denver, CO - The Summit Music Hall
5.02.16 Lawrence, KS - The Bottleneck
5.03.16 Champaign, IL - The Accord
6.25.16 Calgary, AB - Sled Island Festival*
7.06.16 Pittsburgh, PA - Mr. Smalls Theatre
7.07.16 Washington, DC - 9:30 Club
7.09.16 New York, NY - Village Voice 4 Knots Music Festival
7.11.16 Boston, MA - Paradise Rock Club
7.12.16 New Haven, CT - College Street Music Hall
7.14.16 Cleveland Heights, OH - Grog Shop
7.15.16 Cincinnati, OH - Fountain Square
8.13.16 Tulsa, OK - Cain's Ballroom
8.14.16 Dallas, TX - Trees
8.16.16 Phoenix, AZ - Crescent Ballroom
8.17.16 Solana Beach, CA - Belly Up Tavern
8.19.16 Los Angeles, CA - Teragram Ballroom
8.20.16 Los Angeles, CA - Teragram Ballroom
8.22.16 San Francisco, CA - The Independent
8.23.16 San Francisco, CA - The Independent
8.26.16 Seattle, WA - Neumos
8.27.16 Portland, OR - Crystal Ballroom
8.31.16 Minneapolis, MN - First Avenue
9.01.16 Milwaukee, WI - Turner Hall - Pabst Theatre
* with The Sonics, Built To Spill + more
[close]

I guess I'll be seeing them in Solana Beach. HEY HEY GLAD GIRLS!

I'm an idiot, didn't realize this was from 2016. L.A New Years Eve it is.

robasheep

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #94 on: June 18, 2019, 09:32:27 PM »
Expand Quote

Expand Quote
Guided by Voices is on tour! 

4.26.16 Nashville, TN - Cannery Ballroom
4.27.16 St Louis, MO - The Ready Room
4.29.16 Lincoln, NE - Vega
4.30.16 Denver, CO - The Summit Music Hall
5.02.16 Lawrence, KS - The Bottleneck
5.03.16 Champaign, IL - The Accord
6.25.16 Calgary, AB - Sled Island Festival*
7.06.16 Pittsburgh, PA - Mr. Smalls Theatre
7.07.16 Washington, DC - 9:30 Club
7.09.16 New York, NY - Village Voice 4 Knots Music Festival
7.11.16 Boston, MA - Paradise Rock Club
7.12.16 New Haven, CT - College Street Music Hall
7.14.16 Cleveland Heights, OH - Grog Shop
7.15.16 Cincinnati, OH - Fountain Square
8.13.16 Tulsa, OK - Cain's Ballroom
8.14.16 Dallas, TX - Trees
8.16.16 Phoenix, AZ - Crescent Ballroom
8.17.16 Solana Beach, CA - Belly Up Tavern
8.19.16 Los Angeles, CA - Teragram Ballroom
8.20.16 Los Angeles, CA - Teragram Ballroom
8.22.16 San Francisco, CA - The Independent
8.23.16 San Francisco, CA - The Independent
8.26.16 Seattle, WA - Neumos
8.27.16 Portland, OR - Crystal Ballroom
8.31.16 Minneapolis, MN - First Avenue
9.01.16 Milwaukee, WI - Turner Hall - Pabst Theatre
* with The Sonics, Built To Spill + more
[close]

I guess I'll be seeing them in Solana Beach. HEY HEY GLAD GIRLS!
[close]

I'm an idiot, didn't realize this was from 2016. L.A New Years Eve it is.

Dude!  That is going to be such a special show!  They're doing 100 songs!  It's going to be a 5h+ show. 

I'm going to try to make this show work...but it is doubtful...Ottawa/Toronto in three and a half weeks! 

SSBS1080CBBSNP

• Rep: 18
« Reply #95 on: October 21, 2019, 08:38:11 PM »

^Very out there, newish Robert Pollard project. Definitely worth a listen.

robasheep

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #96 on: October 27, 2019, 08:24:42 AM »

^Very out there, newish Robert Pollard project. Definitely worth a listen.

I love Cash Rivers...well...this album(and the follow-up). 

A new album dropped the other day...Sweating the Plague.  It is very solid! 

SSBS1080CBBSNP

• Rep: 18
« Reply #97 on: October 27, 2019, 09:11:53 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Just listened to the “Heavy Like the World” single and liked it quite a bit. I may order a CD soon. Thanks for the heads up. I’ve been sleeping on their output and really need to do a deep dive. Open to any recommendations. Should probably go through this thread. Alien Lanes and Bee Thousand are what turned me onto them because of the lo-fi elements, but I’m not at all deterred from what I’m hearing in this new single.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2019, 09:14:54 PM by SSBS1080CBBSNP »

chuckles

• Rep: 16
« Reply #98 on: October 28, 2019, 07:13:42 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Just listened to the “Heavy Like the World” single and liked it quite a bit. I may order a CD soon. Thanks for the heads up. I’ve been sleeping on their output and really need to do a deep dive. Open to any recommendations. Should probably go through this thread. Alien Lanes and Bee Thousand are what turned me onto them because of the lo-fi elements, but I’m not at all deterred from what I’m hearing in this new single.
[close]

While Bee Thousand and Alien Lanes are classic records, the stuff Bob has been doing these past few years has been really, really good.  One of the few bands that have been around for a long time that you actually want to hear them play the new stuff live. 

Rick_Kane

« Reply #99 on: October 29, 2019, 10:47:08 AM »
I think the current line-up is the best one they've ever had. The string of albums under this line-up have all been fantastic and live they're better than any other line-up I've seen. Seems like Pollard has found a new creative fire with these guys that doesn't seem to be going out any time soon.

robasheep

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #100 on: October 29, 2019, 03:10:23 PM »
I think the current line-up is the best one they've ever had. The string of albums under this line-up have all been fantastic and live they're better than any other line-up I've seen. Seems like Pollard has found a new creative fire with these guys that doesn't seem to be going out any time soon.

Agreed!  Long-time fan here...this current line-up is my favourite!  I give much of the credit of how well they're sounding to Travis Harrison.  Travis has helped produce many of the recent albums...and does an incredible job with sound at live shows. 

They've already got the follow-up to Sweating the Plague in the can(of course they do)...it's called Surrender Your Poppy Field.  I heard it described astrippy raw prog pop Sabbath.   

robasheep

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #101 on: November 09, 2019, 06:29:08 AM »
There's another Quasi collaboration dropping early next year...but pre-order is up now(until November 20).

Closer detail on shirt:

Order here:
https://www.rockathonrecords.com/quasi

Rick_Kane

« Reply #102 on: November 09, 2019, 07:51:01 PM »
Thanks for the heads up, robasheep! Ordered the white deck and shirt.

hangontoyourego

« Reply #103 on: November 10, 2019, 08:19:43 AM »
There's another Quasi collaboration dropping early next year...but pre-order is up now(until November 20).

Closer detail on shirt:

Order here:
Oh shit , thanks for sharing !!

• Rep: 31
« Reply #104 on: November 10, 2019, 08:32:38 AM »
Back in the day O’Dell told me he was in a GBV cover band which always struck me as some deep Ohio shit.

Only saw GBV play once but was amazed but the number of beers Pollard hammered during the show.

hangontoyourego

« Reply #105 on: November 10, 2019, 08:47:46 AM »
Back in the day O’Dell told me he was in a GBV cover band which always struck me as some deep Ohio shit.

Only saw GBV play once but was amazed but the number of beers Pollard hammered during the show.
I’d love to see them live . Wish I was going to the LA show on New Years

Rick_Kane

« Reply #106 on: November 10, 2019, 03:28:46 PM »
Haven't read this whole thread so don't know if this has already been posted, but this doc is essential viewing for any GBV fan

robasheep

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #107 on: November 11, 2019, 05:04:12 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
I’d love to see them live . Wish I was going to the LA show on New Years

I lost count a long time ago...but think I'm above 70 shows.  Next up is Detroit in three weeks. 

I would love to make LA happen, but am going to Cuba over Christmas.  I don't think my wife will be cool with me taking off a couple of days after we return...

robasheep

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #108 on: November 11, 2019, 05:06:06 AM »
Haven't read this whole thread so don't know if this has already been posted, but this doc is essential viewing for any GBV fan

And for essential reading...my friend Cutter released a book last year...it's a great read! 

Rick_Kane

« Reply #109 on: November 12, 2019, 02:59:00 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

And for essential reading...my friend Cutter released a book last year...it's a great read! 

I've read Jim Greer's book 'A Brief History' but still need to get this one. Only heard great things. Fuck, there's no one like Robert Pollard. The most prolific songwriter of all time and most people have never heard of him.

robasheep

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #110 on: November 13, 2019, 11:41:48 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I've read Jim Greer's book 'A Brief History' but still need to get this one. Only heard great things. Fuck, there's no one like Robert Pollard. The most prolific songwriter of all time and most people have never heard of him.

Dude!  Even many Dayton/Northridge locals don't know who he is...I've been to Dayton many times...when locals ask what brings me to Dayton and I mention Bob, they're often clueless.  Jimmy Pollard is another story...there's an annual fan festival in Dayton called Heedfest(if you're a fan, I can't recommend attending enough!)...at a Heedfest a few years ago Jimmy was there...one of the caterers asked me what was going on...I mentioned GbV/Bob...he had no idea.  But quickly offered..."but that's Jimmy Pollard over there...I played ball against him...he was unbelievable!".   

robasheep

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #111 on: November 22, 2019, 11:03:48 AM »
Last call for the Quasi collaboration stuff...the pre-order ends today...and I doubt you'll find in the wild. 

hangontoyourego

« Reply #112 on: January 09, 2020, 05:44:18 AM »

robasheep

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #113 on: January 14, 2020, 06:09:35 AM »

New track new tour . Got tickets for SF
https://pitchfork.com/news/guided-by-voices-announce-new-album-and-tour-share-new-song-volcano-listen/

What about that SLO show the night before? Apparently, the venue is good...I know a lot of people who are going...partly so they have an excuse to stay at the Madonna Inn. 

Surrender Your Poppy Field is really, really good! The sound is quite different...in a good way.

robasheep

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #114 on: February 20, 2020, 07:40:34 PM »
Tickets for Heedfest went on sale today:  https://www.guidedbyvoices.com/heedfest2020

It is the best fucking time if you're a fan of GbV!

Also, Matt from Rockathon picked up the Robert Pollard x Quasi order today. That stuff should be shipping very soon. 

robasheep

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #115 on: May 20, 2020, 05:54:14 AM »

Record stores may be temporarily closed and live shows may be on hold, but you can keep up with Guided By Voices by joining HOT FREAKS. 

Every Tuesday, a weekly email will deliver sneak previews of brand new songs, plus rarities, never-before-heard tracks, demos, live concert recordings, rare photos and videos, recording secrets, exclusive swag offers, and many more surprises from deep within the Guided By Voices vaults.

A HOT FREAKS subscription is $100 for one year for exclusive access to downloads and streaming content (with easy-to-use apps for phones or computer).

Fine print:  We kindly ask subscribers not to leak, share, upload, sell, broadcast or podcast the contents of HOT FREAKS. Thanks for your support and stay safe and healthy!

https://www.guidedbyvoices.com/

*This started yesterday...included was two songs from a forthcoming album(Mirrored Aztec), a little Morning in the Life Of w/Bob clip and some other stuff. If you subscribe later you will receive all previous weeks emails.

robasheep

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #116 on: July 07, 2020, 01:18:25 PM »
GbV will be performing in your living room next Friday!

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/guided-by-voices-tease-second-album-of-2020-announce-livestreamed-ohio-show-1024512/

The Hot Freaks subscription I posted before has been amazing! Every Tuesday they have been dropping great content...demos, live stuff, fun day-in-the-life style videos of Bob. Best money I've ever spent!

live, laugh, love

« Reply #117 on: July 07, 2020, 04:27:19 PM »

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/guided-by-voices-tease-second-album-of-2020-announce-livestreamed-ohio-show-1024512/

The Hot Freaks subscription I posted before has been amazing! Every Tuesday they have been dropping great content...demos, live stuff, fun day-in-the-life style videos of Bob. Best money I've ever spent!

I'm excited for this. Thanks for sharing.

chuckles

• Rep: 16
« Reply #118 on: July 07, 2020, 07:19:39 PM »

Man.... Tuesday has been my favorite day of the week lately. Todays news with the live stream, mirrored preorder, and hot freaks email was punctuated by an email from Midheaven that my copy of Vampire on Titus is about to ship.

lamfordie

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 285
« Reply #119 on: July 07, 2020, 07:25:33 PM »