Author Topic: Post Your Cruiser  (Read 371314 times)

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1126
  • What, me worry?
Re: Post Your Cruiser
« Reply #1890 on: November 12, 2022, 11:27:20 AM »
Putting together a cruiser. Bought an uncut blank and gonna shape it, aiming for somewhere around 9-9.5"

Got some slimeballs on sale a while back, but I need some trucks still. sooooo....

Indy or Ace? I want this thing to cruise but also slash some curbs or maybe the local pump track. My daily board has always been some variation of Thunders so looking for a bit of a different feel.

Can’t go wrong either way, but for a board that big Indy 215s look real nice….

The.Skate.Father

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 42
« Reply #1891 on: November 14, 2022, 12:07:54 AM »
Quasi football pool skater face.
5.8 raw venture highs with bones hard bottom, bones mid top.
Super juice ojs, were 60mm that chunked out so I cut them down to 54mm.
Modus titaniums.
DOOM sayers hardware.

Love cruising this thing super nimble and smooth.

Just call me Daddy.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 617
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #1892 on: December 07, 2022, 12:28:56 PM »
I put a cruiser together from old parts I had laying around. It is now the setup for my girl.

Quasi 8.125 (painted the top in that green ish color)
Indy 139 Standard
Ricta Clouds 78a 52mm
Some bearings
Some bolts
Mob Grip (heavily sanded down)

IG: @flowterspace

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #1893 on: January 13, 2023, 02:45:20 PM »
Cross Post from Setup. This thing is going to be fun...

Antihero Beach Bum replacing my Blue Meanie. Short and Thicc just how I like em
Ace AF1 66 w/ Ace Shock Pads
Spitfire F4 58mm Radial Full
Quantum Metallics
Pig Rails
Mob

lulz

• Rep: 50
« Reply #1894 on: January 13, 2023, 08:22:40 PM »

SC salba deck sanded the graphic off because it was his face and I wasn’t into that. Full custom wheel wells.
ACe 66 bones medium
OJ super juice
Random hardware//bearings

MPI cheap NOS fiberglass and wood laminate deck
Ace 00
OJ plain Jane
Thinking I’m actually going to remove the grip and flip this deck upside down so that the board has some flex.

How did that mpi hold up? Also, how much do you weigh?😁

Lee Ralphs Dear Old Mum

« Reply #1895 on: January 13, 2023, 09:27:49 PM »

Expand Quote

Quantum Metallics
Pig Rails
Mob
[close]

Sick one. I need a new cruiser and the beach bum could be just the ticket but i might hold out to see how the new Genius shape looks in person.

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #1896 on: January 14, 2023, 08:21:18 AM »
Expand Quote

Expand Quote

Quantum Metallics
Pig Rails
Mob
[close]
[close]

Sick one. I need a new cruiser and the beach bum could be just the ticket but i might hold out to see how the new Genius shape looks in person.

Took it for a skate last night and had some fun. The thing is SHORT so it feels totally different to the blue meanies/polar surfs I’ve ridden in the past. It makes you want to carve and do little cutbacks the way I imagine a polarizer does

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1030
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1897 on: January 14, 2023, 05:59:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Expand Quote

Quantum Metallics
Pig Rails
Mob
[close]
[close]

[close]

Took it for a skate last night and had some fun. The thing is SHORT so it feels totally different to the blue meanies/polar surfs I’ve ridden in the past. It makes you want to carve and do little cutbacks the way I imagine a polarizer does

Yeah, it is very short, feeling a bit cramped on the one someone else brought in that I had a go of.

From that first board, the second version - Beach Bummer came out, which I have and it feels way more stable, but I do prefer a bigger board in both length and wheelbase, even for fun rides.

That one would still be a cool ride and good for a lot of things though.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #1898 on: January 14, 2023, 06:34:18 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Expand Quote

Quantum Metallics
Pig Rails
Mob
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

Yeah, it is very short, feeling a bit cramped on the one someone else brought in that I had a go of.

From that first board, the second version - Beach Bummer came out, which I have and it feels way more stable, but I do prefer a bigger board in both length and wheelbase, even for fun rides.

That one would still be a cool ride and good for a lot of things though.

The way I have it set up, it's definitely going to be primarily a cruiser. It'll actually stay under my desk at work for getting across our warehouse or for curb sessions at lunch. i have heard people say they skate it and it flips pretty well, but I won't be doing any of that. Slides and slappies only.

It's replacing an AH Blue Meanie which was just too long and square for me, wasn't fun to carve around on. This should do the trick I'm thinking

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1899 on: January 15, 2023, 02:08:33 PM »

It's replacing an AH Blue Meanie which was just too long and square for me, wasn't fun to carve around on. This should do the trick I'm thinking

Sounds like an ideal shape for your needs.

Always makes it so much nicer, rather than having something like the Blue Meanie and wishing it was shorter, or trying to shorten wheelbase or cut the board down, which may or may not even turn out being that much fun in the end.

Bror

• Rep: 23
« Reply #1900 on: January 19, 2023, 02:54:07 AM »
Can we have a discussion about cruiser wheels that slides? What's your favourites?

Got the oj keyframes in 56mm last spring but didn't find them to great for cruising on asphalt.. new asphalt sure and for a do it all wheel it was nice.

Got the oj super juice 60s and they were wonderful for cruising around. But haven't got them to slide yet due to the shape.. riding hills and not being able to powerslide feels both sketchy and a lil boring.

I read somewhere here that bones did the 60mm rat bones in their dragon formula. Maybe that would be the answer? Anyone tried them?

Ten years ago I had some really nice cruiser wheels from this longboard brand venom which slid really nice at higher speeds but unfortunately I lost the board.

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 272
« Reply #1901 on: January 19, 2023, 04:46:15 AM »
Can we have a discussion about cruiser wheels that slides? What's your favourites?

Got the oj keyframes in 56mm last spring but didn't find them to great for cruising on asphalt.. new asphalt sure and for a do it all wheel it was nice.

Got the oj super juice 60s and they were wonderful for cruising around. But haven't got them to slide yet due to the shape.. riding hills and not being able to powerslide feels both sketchy and a lil boring.

I read somewhere here that bones did the 60mm rat bones in their dragon formula. Maybe that would be the answer? Anyone tried them?

Ten years ago I had some really nice cruiser wheels from this longboard brand venom which slid really nice at higher speeds but unfortunately I lost the board.

Powell G Slides

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #1902 on: January 19, 2023, 10:44:49 AM »
I have been able to slide my 60 mm 78A Ricta Clouds but it’s not easy. It takes a lot more speed and effort than hard wheels. It took me a good while to figure out how to make them slide, the feeling is that different from hard wheels, especially Formula Fours, which is all I ride for hard wheels.

bombsaway86

• Rep: 162
« Reply #1903 on: January 19, 2023, 10:47:26 AM »

Super juices will slide, you just gotta put some effort into it. It helps if your trucks are on the loose side

oliknight

« Reply #1904 on: January 28, 2023, 07:31:49 AM »

Lots of fun

Aquatic Dinosaur

• Rep: 96
« Reply #1905 on: January 28, 2023, 11:08:53 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Powell G Slides

I had these, it was definitely hard to break into a slide and eventually they chipped away in large chunks and became unusable after not that long

Creachteach

• Rep: 120
« Reply #1906 on: February 12, 2023, 04:09:02 AM »
Creature Russell VX 8.6
Indy 159 forged hollow Hawk
2x1/8” plastic risers
59 mm green thrift kryptonics
Old metal shield bearings from thrift shop, that I’ve pried the shields off. Said made in west Germany on them. Brass ball cages. Fresh oil.
Way too long indy bolts
MOB

Im too dumb to figure out how to make this drawing my profile pic.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 265
« Reply #1907 on: February 12, 2023, 04:58:40 AM »

I have some 90a wider dragon prototypes (with the core) that scratch this itch perfectly.
If they release the lower 90as do yourself a favor and grab some
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

Coldpizza

• Rep: 166
« Reply #1908 on: February 12, 2023, 07:59:56 AM »
Just set this up. Took it out for a few hours yesterday and had a ton of fun.

Cromer egg, 53 Slimeballs, 8.25 broken in  Thunders.
This is actually the 3rd time getting this same shape (I had 2 of the alligator graphic)
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

oliknight

« Reply #1909 on: February 26, 2023, 05:51:11 PM »
Does anyone know of any soft wheels that don’t crumble? I have had oj super juice twice, one wheel on one of the sets has loads of cracks in it and one set has had chunks taken out out of a couple of the wheels, I don’t exactly take them on any crazy terrain, bit  disappointed.

roba

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 769
« Reply #1910 on: February 28, 2023, 03:20:23 AM »
cross post from the set up thread

finally built myself a cruiser

new deal andy howell 9.375 x 32.1 x 14
ace classic 55s
arbor whiskey 56mm 92a wheels
arbor bearings
arbor bolts
jessup nbd grip

other than the deck everything is from an arbor complete i bought for a steal, it was cheaper than the trucks alone lol. the board surprisingly works for flatground.

i took it to a skatepark yesterday and it works ok, the wheels even kinda slide, i could do lil speed checks and i landed a cab on flatground which i didn't expect. they slide better than 95a mini-logos. crooked grinds don't work but i was able to do some 5-0s and nosegrinds. i built that board to lend it to my filmer homie but it's fun to skate so i'll definitely be running it sometimes. i put that rubber grip on it so that i can ollie up curbs in non-skate shoes, i'm not really sure if it makes shoes actually last longer but i read somewhere that it does so i hope that's true. it looks kinda cool on that deck too but i don't think i could run it on my regular set up
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

Steely Daniel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 458
« Reply #1911 on: February 28, 2023, 03:41:56 AM »

Expand Quote

ace classic 55s
arbor bearings
arbor bolts
jessup nbd grip

other than the deck everything is from an arbor complete i bought for a steal, it was cheaper than the trucks alone lol. the board surprisingly works for flatground.
[close]

i took it to a skatepark yesterday and it works ok, the wheels even kinda slide, i could do lil speed checks and i landed a cab on flatground which i didn't expect. they slide better than 95a mini-logos. crooked grinds don't work but i was able to do some 5-0s and nosegrinds. i built that board to lend it to my filmer homie but it's fun to skate so i'll definitely be running it sometimes. i put that rubber grip on it so that i can ollie up curbs in non-skate shoes, i'm not really sure if it makes shoes actually last longer but i read somewhere that it does so i hope that's true. it looks kinda cool on that deck too but i don't think i could run it on my regular set up

I'm mostly curious about that jessup ultra nbd grip. It looks very coarse but kind of perfect at the same time.

roba

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1912 on: February 28, 2023, 04:34:52 AM »
Expand Quote

Expand Quote

ace classic 55s
arbor bearings
arbor bolts
jessup nbd grip

[close]

[close]

I'm mostly curious about that jessup ultra nbd grip. It looks very coarse but kind of perfect at the same time.

it looks like really rough griptape in the photo i posted but it feels kinda weird when you touch it, not as coarse as you might think but it grips really well, it's funny. i only skated it once so i can't speak on the quality. in the pictures it looks like it's gray, but in real life it's like 40% black, 40% white and 20% colored. there are colorful rubber dots all over it, which you can't see in the photos.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #1913 on: February 28, 2023, 06:05:08 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Expand Quote

ace classic 55s
arbor bearings
arbor bolts
jessup nbd grip

[close]

[close]

[close]

it looks like really rough griptape in the photo i posted but it feels kinda weird when you touch it, not as coarse as you might think but it grips really well, it's funny. i only skated it once so i can't speak on the quality. in the pictures it looks like it's gray, but in real life it's like 40% black, 40% white and 20% colored. there are colorful rubber dots all over it, which you can't see in the photos.

It works fine when it's dry but if it gets even a bit wet it loses most of the grip. Outright dangerous. It's also really difficult to cut and rip off from a deck. I wouldn't recommend it if you're in an area where there's any chance of getting the grip wet at all. I got mine slightly wet carrying my board from the bus station to the indoor skatepark in light rain. Wasn't fully soaked or anything close to it but it was next to impossible to skate for 30+ minutes even after patting it out with my shirt.

Coldpizza

• Rep: 166
« Reply #1914 on: February 28, 2023, 04:50:17 PM »
Does anyone know of any soft wheels that don’t crumble? I have had oj super juice twice, one wheel on one of the sets has loads of cracks in it and one set has had chunks taken out out of a couple of the wheels, I don’t exactly take them on any crazy terrain, bit  disappointed.
I have the same issue with most OJs. Key frames are pretty good to go, I have some Slimeballs now and am liking them. Definitely don’t get the Spitfire cruiser with the hardcore, I’ve literally torn 2 pair in half now…
Hope that helps!
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

roba

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1915 on: March 01, 2023, 02:32:53 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Expand Quote

ace classic 55s
arbor bearings
arbor bolts
jessup nbd grip

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

It works fine when it's dry but if it gets even a bit wet it loses most of the grip. Outright dangerous. It's also really difficult to cut and rip off from a deck. I wouldn't recommend it if you're in an area where there's any chance of getting the grip wet at all. I got mine slightly wet carrying my board from the bus station to the indoor skatepark in light rain. Wasn't fully soaked or anything close to it but it was next to impossible to skate for 30+ minutes even after patting it out with my shirt.

when i was gripping other people’s boards at the shop with it the first couple of times i also thought so but if you’re pulling on the griptape and not using a dull blade it’s as easy to cut as regular jessup in my experience. sucks that it loses grip when wet, but i’ve had that with all griptape since i always sand mine down, maybe it’s even more extreme with this rubber grip, i don’t know and i‘m not really going to go out of my way to test it lol
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

oliknight

« Reply #1916 on: March 05, 2023, 01:38:11 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I have the same issue with most OJs. Key frames are pretty good to go, I have some Slimeballs now and am liking them. Definitely don’t get the Spitfire cruiser with the hardcore, I’ve literally torn 2 pair in half now…
Hope that helps!

Glad I saw this because I was considering spitfire! Maybe slimeballs are the ones to try next, another problem I have with the ojs is my bearings slip out of place constantly and make it so the wheels don’t spin smoothly and the bearings rub on the truck/bolt, it’s not the worst like they still roll fine but it’s just really annoying

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 527
« Reply #1917 on: March 05, 2023, 04:56:33 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Hope that helps!

Just curious as too how long ago the Spit cruiser wheels ripping in half was? I know they had that issue about 10(+ish) years ago. I rode 3 sets from 2016 until Covid hit and never had an issue with them. Skated crust and did shit tons of slappys on them. Only issue I had was nose/tail slides sucked unless you wax the hell out of the vert part of the curb or ledge. That’s just a soft wheel in general thing(maybe not with the dragons but whatever). Shit, they even did power slides good for a soft wheel.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1918 on: March 05, 2023, 06:39:58 PM »

Re Spitfire soft wheels

They just brought out new / improved Spitfire 80HD wheels, which have more a hex inside core on them, but I don't recall the media blurb info I saw with them.

For me the older ones worked well enough, but compared to some other wheels where I could really push into carve turns, if I did that too hard on Spitfire 80HD wheels, they would almost tip over or feel like they were mushing out, but I never had the core come apart or the wheel surface chunk out a lot, even though I had seen others with all brands of wheels in pieces, including those Spitfire 80HD wheels.

I still have a few sets on boards and they are a good cruiser wheel for smaller setups or boards I know I am not going to go too hard on, but I almost think if they were a bit more in the 85 - 88 range, they might work a bit better, even though that is bordering on normal soft wheel territory anyway.

The Spitfire Soft Ds in 92 duro are still my go to for softer wheels I can still skate like normal when needed, but I did stock up on them before they discontinued them, the 54 and 56mm sizes in particular.

I have others in 92, 95 and 97 duro which are good for other things as well, but being the original formula, they come with their own issues, but at least I don't slip out skating them on slippery ramps or when I just want a softer wheel for whatever reason.

For anyone wanting decent wheels, sure the Bones Dragons and other softer mixes are out there, but some of the Mini Logo wheels in both 90 and 95 duros are really good too, still able to hold speed better than most soft wheels and don't feel like a soft wheel, apart from the grip.

They are also fairly cheap and very easy to get, or at least the ones I have seen around anyway.

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 527
« Reply #1919 on: March 11, 2023, 05:54:28 PM »
@Mbrimson88 you liked the Soft D 92s?! Had a set and couldn’t stand them, to hard on bad crust and to slow on minimal crust. Seemed like the worst of both in my experience. I’ve got a set I’ll give you if you want to pay shipping from the states.