Author Topic: Drugs and alcohol in skateboarding  (Read 37495 times)

jacquesknife

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -29
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Drugs and alcohol in skateboarding
« Reply #60 on: September 28, 2009, 08:04:08 AM »
Drinking and taking drugs are fun. Lots of people do it, some skateboard too...and skateboarding stoned is well fun!

« Reply #61 on: September 28, 2009, 08:47:30 AM »
Expand Quote
Justin "Faggy" Figueroroa is the lame, cookie-cutter, west-coast white boy version of Shane Cross.

But he tries real hard, though.
[close]

i have to agree, when he was on birdhouse...pussy, when he joins baker he drinks/drugs, on the epicly later'd emerica wide ride episode its his first time being drunk, now he smokes tones of weed drinks alot trying to fit the baker image. saying "fo sure fo sure" non stop, figgy you need the face tatts now to fit the baker image now, half of the team are sober, little too late.

http://altamontapparel.com/kh-part1/
01:10

"Yeah, im like soooooooooo high"

Nigga please

NickDagger

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -32
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #62 on: September 28, 2009, 09:13:02 AM »
The cool thing about skateboarding is that there are no rules, and you can do whatever you want.

That being said, lots of dudes that get stuck in partying go from being real cool skaters to kooks pretty quickly.

Just be careful if you want to live, kids, it's real easy to die.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 09:14:44 AM by NickDagger »
"DIS YA BOI NICK DAGGAL" -Arto Saari

Narcissus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 301
« Reply #63 on: September 28, 2009, 10:54:11 AM »
The first time I did mushrooms, someone threw Pink Floyd's Pulse album over to me.

I looked at the blinking light on its side, and the guy went, "That will blink for 7 years..."

*mind fucking blown*

I stared at the album for three hours straight.

I'd recommend watching Yellow Submarine. Mumbles for days.
i saw my grandma bail off a 4 set once in my house and she even got up and came to red lobster after.
Quote from: The Kitten!
get wasted and pass out.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #64 on: September 28, 2009, 11:29:21 AM »
Expand Quote
The first time I did mushrooms, someone threw Pink Floyd's Pulse album over to me.

I looked at the blinking light on its side, and the guy went, "That will blink for 7 years..."

*mind fucking blown*

[close]

Fuck that, anybody who does hallucinogens and then stares at a tv is a fucking moron. Go outside, watch the waves crash on the ocean, the leaves rustle on the trees, and the clouds or stars float across the sky. Stare at plants, animals, bugs, birds, and whatever else moves. You'll get a cool genuine trip instead of some bullshit prepackaged made for tv trip.

But back to the debate:
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
gipper I know it's ruined peoples lives, what I'm saying is that the desire to do or not to comes from somewhere else, not the tour bus necessarily. people usually get their beliefs from somewhere other than the TM on a drunken tuesday and that has more to do with where they came from, not just his homies chanting his name to shotgun 5 beers.
[close]
How many kids go to college "straight edge for life" and turn into lushes? Ask an addict, the environment you are in greatly contributes to your likelyhood of using or becoming addicted to drugs. When you get involved in a culture that has a high amount of drug use, you are a lot more likely to get involved in drug use than if you joined a monastery. Of course its not a catch all, and not everybody is going to end up that way, but the culture of skateboarding definitely encourages and rewards drug use.
I'm not trying to shame the people who use drugs or have problems either. Shit, I recreationally used drugs myself. I'm just exploring where why and how there are so many problems with drugs in skateboarding, which I believe is an undeniable fact.
[close]

it is, im not denying that, guy mariano spoke on it for 10-ish episodes, but I mean, lets say everyone agrees with this, the next step would be to actually "crack down" on people that do this to prevent another tragedy and I don't like the idea of regulating people's behavior, especially in skateboarding, and standardizing things. the last thing skateboarding needs is more standardization, it's not a sport.
[close]
No, you fucking moron. Just because something is causing problems doesn't mean we, who have no power in their lives whatsoever, are going to "Crack down" or have any desire to do so.  Read what I wrote in bold. Did I write "and what we are going to do about it?" No.

ugh, read, i know what you said, I just added a hypothetical situation where everyone agreed that it was a big problem and decided to do something about it and what that would lead to.
[/quote]

That's not what it would lead to though. That's my point. The hypothetical situation you brought up is absolutely ridiculous and stupid. There is going to be no crackdown, there is no way to crackdown, and nobody would call for it if you could. Do you get it yet?

You can compare the drug use of rock stars to pro skaters, the difference is that the rock and roll industry tries to hide it to a certain extent, how many people knew Michael Jackson was a junky before he died? The skateboard industry puts it out there front and center. I think that anybody's decision to use drugs is personal, and its not up to us to judge. But when you have companies like Baker, that are run by former addicts still glorifying drug use, there is a problem. Greco and Reynolds don't do drugs, and aren't into them, but every video its while drugged out party scenes all over the place. Its hypocritical of them, they are pushing something that they have both decided hurt them enough to quit forever for what? PROFIT. That's fucked.
Also, it should be noted that they highly glamorize this. I used to see a bunch of the anti-hero guys constantly drinking in SF. Funny thing is, they didn't come off as these rebellious party animals to me, just pathetic alcoholics who were obsessed with beer to an uncool and altogether gross level. Julien is at the bar all the time, and shows up at potrero to occasionally get wasted on the hill, real cool man. I'd also see ex-pros all the time. The dudes who were good, but got into coke, crack, heroine, or whatever, and completely fell off and turned to trash. Its that disposable hero thing. The companies probably advertized it and encouraged the destructive behavior while they rode for them, and when it got too much, ditched them for the new generation of profitable party animal.
A lot of you are confusing people using drugs, with a clear glamorization of drugs that exists in the skateboard business. Addiction is a disease, not a personality quirk, and it shouldn't be portrayed so lightly and as something that is so cool, especially considering the market for skateboards is made up mainly of teenage kids.
Also, the amount of drug use in skateboarding is high, and its not because talented skateboarders do a lot of drugs to get good, its because they are given the freedom and lack of schedule that allows them to get real deep into the addiction before it effects them.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

Narcissus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 301
« Reply #65 on: September 28, 2009, 11:36:23 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

*mind fucking blown*

[close]

[close]
Fuck that, anybody who does hallucinogens and then stares at a tv is a fucking moron. Go outside, watch the waves crash on the ocean, the leaves rustle on the trees, and the clouds or stars float across the sky. Stare at plants, animals, bugs, birds, and whatever else moves. You'll get a cool genuine trip instead of some bullshit prepackaged made for tv trip.

I'm with that. It always starts in the woods. I can't sit still or even understand how to watch a TV until hour 6 or so....
i saw my grandma bail off a 4 set once in my house and she even got up and came to red lobster after.
Quote from: The Kitten!
get wasted and pass out.

SkullDude

« Reply #66 on: September 28, 2009, 11:43:22 AM »
Drinking and Drugs kinda loosley being a part of skateboarding is what keeps skateboarding from becoming McDonalds.
It has to be there.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #67 on: September 28, 2009, 12:12:31 PM »
Drinking and Drugs kinda loosley being a part of skateboarding is what keeps skateboarding from becoming McDonalds.
It has to be there.
And see, this is what hyping up that image does.
Skateboarding is badass just because skateboarding is badass. There are no prerequisites of drug use. I skated for years without doing any drugs or drinking, and still had a great time, and it wasn't "mcdonalds" what ever the fuck that means.

NickDagger

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -32
« Reply #68 on: September 28, 2009, 12:15:54 PM »
Affirmative.
"DIS YA BOI NICK DAGGAL" -Arto Saari

PhillyMetrospective1995

• Rep: 14
« Reply #69 on: September 28, 2009, 12:29:45 PM »
It's sort of ironic to start a thread about alcohol and drugs with a picture of Nico on your profile. Nico is one of my favorite singers/stylists...she almost singlehandedly brought the pump organ into avant-garde rock circles. Nico also had a wicked heroin habit she gladly flaunted.

I agree with you on certain aspects. The skate industry needs to step up and take better care of their riders. The glorification of drinking is really stupid. It pretty much lines the new Black Label video. It sells a susceptible audience a myth. That excessive drinking is rad. Which it isn't. (Drinking in moderation is great, though.) Some team managers need firing, others hiring. To many kids skateboarding, these TMs are their surrogate parents. They need to step up and act like it.

I don't exactly see the direct nexus between skateboarding and drinking. I think skate culture tends to overlook drinking (and in certain cases condones it), but alcoholics are typically people who self-medicate to numb deeper-seated issues. Alcoholism is a disease that had a tendency to run in families.   

SkullDude

« Reply #70 on: September 28, 2009, 12:58:26 PM »
Expand Quote
It has to be there.
[close]
Skateboarding is badass just because skateboarding is badass. There are no prerequisites of drug use. I skated for years without doing any drugs or drinking, and still had a great time, and it wasn't "mcdonalds" what ever the fuck that means.

You are just trying to attck me, you dumb ass.
I never said there is a fucking prerequisite. It's up to you.
That said, in my opinion, skateboarding should always be open and free. To me drugs are apart of that. Making a career out of it is kind of silly, but hey if it works it works. whatever.
"Mcdonalds" means blown out, over popularized, assimilated into american pop-cultrue.
Got it now person, i made it simple for you.

crailtapsill

• Rep: -26
« Reply #71 on: September 28, 2009, 12:58:54 PM »
why can't we all just getabong?

lurk daddy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -464
  • put the FU back in fun
« Reply #72 on: September 28, 2009, 01:15:48 PM »
his thread sucks balls all u guys are pussys

shit happens
IF YOU HAVE SEX ONCE, YOU GET HERPES. IF YOU DO COKE ONCE, YOU DIE AND LOSE YOUR JOB.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #73 on: September 28, 2009, 01:57:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
It has to be there.
[close]
[close]

That said, in my opinion, skateboarding should always be open and free. To me drugs are apart of that. Making a career out of it is kind of silly, but hey if it works it works. whatever.
"Mcdonalds" means blown out, over popularized, assimilated into american pop-cultrue.

I heard what you said the first time, and I stand by my first comment.
Skateboarding being a crime is the best thing it has against making it too all american or whatever. People do drugs and participate in almost every activity known to man, we aren't special for using drugs.

Anti Krooked

• Rep: -75
  • sellout
« Reply #74 on: September 28, 2009, 01:58:38 PM »
weed and cobras for life

Man, we can totally eat that pig.  that pig can be in us right now.

PhillyMetrospective1995

• Rep: 14
« Reply #75 on: September 28, 2009, 02:09:07 PM »
"Skateboarding being a crime is the best thing it has against making it too all american or whatever."

Agreed.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 261
  • tiger style
« Reply #76 on: September 28, 2009, 02:14:22 PM »
you're problem is that you are comparing skateboarding to organized sports when it's nothing like them. compare it to the music industry and all of a sudden it doesn't seem shocking at all.

it's not a sport and making it professional like the nba would having me saying "check please" on the industry

SkullDude

« Reply #77 on: September 28, 2009, 02:43:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
It has to be there.
[close]
[close]

[close]
I heard what you said the first time, and I stand by my first comment.
Skateboarding being a crime is the best thing it has against making it too all american or whatever. People do drugs and participate in almost every activity known to man, we aren't special for using drugs.

Whatever man. I never said drugs make you cool ethier.
Quit trying to set up an arguement to win, weirdo.
Drugs are real life. Kids are going to buy what they feel relates to them. It's always been the same.
No one wants censorship right?

barkeep11

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -135
« Reply #78 on: September 28, 2009, 03:41:38 PM »
After reading all this and needing to put my two cents in, I just gotta say that there is substance abuse everywhere!  Whether you're an actor, a businessman a bartender, people are going to do what they want to do.  It just sucks for us when it's a skater who takes the hard road.

We're never gonna be able to change it!  Just take care of yourself and your friends (if you're worried about them).  If random people want to abuse booze and drugs, fucking let 'em!!  It's not your problem.

EXTRA SPICY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 326
  • Low Scovilles
« Reply #79 on: September 28, 2009, 03:43:59 PM »
We need Malto to release the pic of Biebel drunk in an elevator with his wiener hanging out.

cheep

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 103
« Reply #80 on: September 28, 2009, 03:44:14 PM »
if kids do drugs because they saw thier favorite skater do them, the problem isnt with the skater, its with the parents of that kid.
http://cheepshit.tumblr.com/
the worst in jacksonville skateboarding

PFIASB

• Rep: -55
  • Formerly Elmo!
« Reply #81 on: September 28, 2009, 03:49:26 PM »
if kids do drugs because they saw thier favorite skater do them, the problem isnt with the skater, its with the parents of that kid.
the problem is both you fucking dumbass.

cheep

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 103
« Reply #82 on: September 28, 2009, 03:53:46 PM »
no... if you teach your kids that pro skateboarders are not good role models they should be fine.  i know if my kids did drugs i sure as fuck wouldnt blame it on someone that they dont even know... thats a fucking cop out.
http://cheepshit.tumblr.com/
the worst in jacksonville skateboarding

PFIASB

• Rep: -55
  • Formerly Elmo!
« Reply #83 on: September 28, 2009, 03:55:27 PM »
no... if you teach your kids that pro skateboarders are not good role models they should be fine.  i know if my kids did drugs i sure as fuck wouldnt blame it on someone that they dont even know... thats a fucking cop out.
but if their favorite skateboarder didnt do drugs they wouldnt be doing them

barkeep11

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -135
« Reply #84 on: September 28, 2009, 03:59:10 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

That's a load!!  Kids are going to do drugs if they want to, regardless!  Teach your kids about drugs and their affects.  EDUCATE THEM!!  The rest is up to them.  They make their own beds they can lie in them or they can get high in them.  That's their choice.

The Pillar

• Rep: 17
« Reply #85 on: September 28, 2009, 04:46:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

That's a load!!  Kids are going to do drugs if they want to, regardless!  Teach your kids about drugs and their affects.  EDUCATE THEM!!  The rest is up to them.  They make their own beds they can lie in them or they can get high in them.  That's their choice.

Isn't this opinion based around whether or not pros regard themselves as role models that have significant influence on young generations. It is different for a company like anti hero where the direction and audience isn't 12 year olds (trujillo's 00's popularity being an exception). Anti hero endorses consumption and the party, yes, but I definitely wasn't feeling anti hero when I was 12. Baker was built off of pissdrunx hype. Their image is very poppy, comparably. The aesthetic is loud, rowdy, and eye-catching. Julien isn't concerned with showing anti hero's look, it just happens. Reynolds and Strikland on the other hand began with a conceded effort to establish the company on an image that was already catching on. I can't forget the Baker2g premier being twenty minutes of "Up the Drunx!" from Reynolds on stage. Julien wasn't and would not have been at such an gluttonous event, but I imagine he would challenge Reynolds phrase by simply cracking open one in a dark corner.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • tiger style
« Reply #86 on: September 28, 2009, 04:50:04 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

so where are all the skaters who are raping women and burying them in the dessert, killing gays or killing their kids?

if your childs values are not stronger than pop culture trends then your not a very good parent or you have shit values and won't be able to let your kids watch a woody allen film, watch pro football or enjoy most good music out there. proper values would teach your kid too not create idols and to seperate the art from the artist who's basically just like any other person.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 04:53:01 PM by Sleazy »

DEDBBIS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -76
« Reply #87 on: September 28, 2009, 05:46:11 PM »
You can't blame a kid using drugs solely on the parent, some kids are too incorrigible for the parents to get the message across.

There ain't no shit on T.V. tonight

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • tiger style
« Reply #88 on: September 28, 2009, 06:07:49 PM »
it's not other peoples responsibility to create good role models for your kid, it's yours

this is the same tired, lame bullshit that tipper gore was pushing about rap music and video games. guess what, no quake and marlyn manson, columbine was still fucked.

DEDBBIS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -76
« Reply #89 on: September 28, 2009, 06:18:43 PM »
I'm not saying that it's the responsibility of the role model. The parent isn't entirely responsible either, some of the blame has to fall on the kid and his ability to look at the spectrum of the different types of people in society and follow the actions of those people that he/she deems to be a good role model. And by good role model I mean someone who is a person to look up to, not some a kid thinks is cool.

Maybe the problem is the large amount of disillusioned kids who think that they're going to be professional skaters.

There ain't no shit on T.V. tonight