Author Topic: Encounters with Pro Skaters  (Read 147865 times)

Baron Samedi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 372
Re: Encounters with Pro Skaters
« Reply #630 on: July 08, 2014, 11:02:39 AM »
^^My friends were bombing hills in SF and ran across Gerwer skating by himself and he asked if he could come skating with them. Sounds like the best guy.

I have been kicked in the shins by Emmanuel Guzman for calling him "fool" but he then payed my bar tab

Justin Strubing told me I was ripping at a demo which made me utterly ecstatic

Appleyard is hilarious, possesses many goon-like qualities but is actually a pretty awesome dude

The entire Slave team was really cool. Jon Allie was way nicer than I expected, Matt Mumford was probably one of the friendlier people I've ever met, and Pat Burke is a nut. The staff photographer, I think he goes by J-Hon, straight up ignored everything I said to him

The Santa Cruz TM introduced me to Salba and he looked at the TM like "why are you introducing me to this pissant" and didn't look at me while I shook his hand, that was pretty awesome

EDIT: Oh and I beat Rob Gonyon in some game of skate they held in the basement of a Volcom store in Soho while I was there on vacation with my family. He was really nice to me before we played and super bummed on me after I beat him. Strangely, Joe Maloof was also there.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 11:14:18 AM by Baron Samedi »

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #631 on: July 08, 2014, 11:58:14 AM »
my friend's mom went up to big black at a DC demo. I think she bought him a hotdog or something too

So good.

tom

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 983
  • the moon rules
« Reply #632 on: July 08, 2014, 01:26:50 PM »
i got marius syvanan and neckface back to back with the "what's that on your shirt?" trick
fuck you bama

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #633 on: July 08, 2014, 01:47:48 PM »
eric f that story about telling ur gf to "just roll with it" is heartbreaking man, wtf!
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

ALZ

• Rep: 1
« Reply #634 on: July 08, 2014, 01:50:47 PM »
floop you need to spoil us with which trick Ray Barbee was doing  ;D

hsggreen

• Rep: 30
« Reply #635 on: July 08, 2014, 01:55:12 PM »
Skated with Andrew Reynolds.  He asked if anyone had wax.  I said "yeah I have some in the car".  Went to my car and had no wax.  I told him "Yo nevermind I don't have any" and he said "oh thats cool we'll find some".

I let the Boss down guys.

Rumpleforeskin

« Reply #636 on: July 08, 2014, 02:50:13 PM »
oh pat burke doing switch illusion flips off a curb, the crowd went wild

SlayerKiller

• Rep: -37
« Reply #637 on: July 08, 2014, 03:02:09 PM »
A few months back on my 22nd birthday I went to a bar with some friends and Jake Johnson was there. Homie was super hammered and shamelessly hitting on my girlfriend at the time. She took me aside and said she felt uncomfortable and I said something along the lines of "just roll with it... the guy had such a sick part in the Chapman video."

Gerwer is tight. Super nice dude and always has a good attitude.

Elissa Steamer is also just as cool. I used to see her at the library (R.I.P) killing it. Last I saw her was at the new Soma park.

I've seen Busenitz a lot lately and I havent talked to him. Guy's too busy murdering SF.

Not a pro but my brother almost got in a fistfight with that ginger kid Jordan Maxham outside of Talent Skatepark in Burlington VT about 5 years ago. Homie made a crack to me and my brother about having MA license plates and my brother just wasnt having any of it. It got broken up before it got really ugly. Fuck that kid.

your girlfriend told you another dude (who gives a shit if he's a pro skateboarder) is making her feel awkward and you told her to put up with it. what a tool.

hufs calve muscles

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 47
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #638 on: July 08, 2014, 03:54:28 PM »
Ed Tempelton and Justin Gerard came to my city and need people to show them spots. This was like 93? I was a little ass kid and was awe struck. Ed was cool. He didn't talk much.  We took him to the double sided curb that we skated the end of.
Ed pushed full speed at it and impossible lip slid the whole fucking thing.  I was so shocked I couldn't even cheer.

Antwaun was nice as fuck. We smoked weed and listened to the carter 2 for a few hours in a nice telly Supra had paid for. Lizard king sat there just talking about himself. 

I saw Frank Gerwer at Milk on Height while I was in SF. It was not long after Cards got run over in Australia.
After a few shots and talking shit I asked him how John was doing... Gerwers face went dead serious and was bummed. Maybe my Aussie accent bummed him out.  He bought my one more round and left the club.

Guess it was too soon to ask about Cards.

ben3350

• Rep: -156
« Reply #639 on: July 08, 2014, 05:11:37 PM »
First pro I ever met was Chris Cole on a hot wax tour. Tom Asta was there too, although he looked like he was 12 and had super long hair. I only realized that that kid and the Tom Asta we see now were the same person like a year ago.

Other things of note with random pros-

Smoked a cigarette with reynolds at a baker demo in ga when he ran out and asked me for one. Before he quit smoking

Played a game of skate with dennis busenitz and lost terribly

Justin Brock skates my local park fairly frequently and I have gotten wasted at the bar with him on several occasions. Grant Taylor has also participated infrequently

Last year I was drinking beer next to Mike Carroll at a demo and he proceeded to take my phone and take selfies with them. They were saved on my phone and I saved them on my computer I'm sure they are somewhere.

Smoked a fat blunt with stevie perez and elijah berle during the pretty sweet tour. We tried to get malto to join but he wasn't down

Also smoked weed with neen williams at one of my local skateparks earlier this year

Last year I was at a club in atlanta and met stevie williams there. Other people there were also chanel west coast and the ATL twins. Everyone was wasted.

Brian Sumner skated at my local park many many years ago asked him to sign my shirt (it was a fallen shirt) and he said he wouldn't because God wouldn't be pleased if he was signing something with a dark message like Fallen. I was probably 13-14, laughed and walked away

Theres a ton more but that's all that I can think of off the top of my head

QUIT SINNIN

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 26
  • PATSY
« Reply #640 on: July 08, 2014, 05:39:06 PM »
anybody ever run into Heath at that bar he works at in LA?

Noioso

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 90
  • "For me it's crazy like"
« Reply #641 on: July 08, 2014, 06:52:32 PM »
How many of you guys live in SF?

Better question, how many of you live in SF and have worked or currently work at Whole Foods?

I helped Dennis, Phelps, and Tommy Guerrero, and have seen, but felt weird trying to talk to them when they were just trying to get food: Elissa and BA (not at the same time).

I also saw Phelps driving down Church or 16th at 4am in the morning, on Thanksgiving. He was cruising slow as fuck, and I was skating faster than his car.

Not a pro skater, but I think I had the most embarrassing conversation with Mickey Reyes at Zeitgeist on NYE. I was drunk as fuck and blacked out at some point, but I remember buying him a shot of tequila, talking to him, and I think saying something about being gay, maybe something about BA, and skateboarding. I have no fucking idea. I am kind of pissed I don't remember more. haha

If I did something stupid, my bad, Mickey. I was a shitshow.
"So, you want to follow the nuge, get a good feeble, a nice ollie, an excellent lipside, maybe a tolerable down love and become known for your outstanding kick flip el toro? Become a regular visitor at our skate parks. Righteous."

pinche gringo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 85
« Reply #642 on: July 08, 2014, 07:25:04 PM »
In 1997/98 I rode in a car from Huntington Beach to San Diego with Tom Penny and Chad Muska. An old friend of mine knew Chad from San Diego and we picked them up on the way from Visalia. Anyway, when I walked in the apartment I saw an Ed Templeton painting and was so stoked. I looked over and saw what I thought was Elissa Steamer, then 'she' turned around and it was Tom Penny, total 'holy shit' moment. Chad showed us the drawings he was working on for his first pro shoe. We stopped at the rail that Pat Duffy 50-50's in Questionable and Chad tried to stand on it and steady himself at the top and grind down. It was fucked up. We hung out with them and skated outside Hamel's and then went and partied. The bummer part is that their boards got lost and I'm not positive but I think they thought we took them. We didn't. It was a rad day.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 07:42:06 PM by pinche gringo »

jam bra

• Rep: 3
« Reply #643 on: July 08, 2014, 07:35:52 PM »
saw Staba in Ybor one night after Tampa pro. I was wasted. Walked up to him and put some mardi gras beads around his neck and he yelled at me. I felt pretty dumb.

Smoked a blunt in a moving truck out back of SPOT the night before Tampa pro with Nick Matlin (he had sold me the weed). Andrew Reynolds was there and I tried to pass it to him but he just said "no, thanks."

Busenitz gave me his complete one time.

My dad talked to Rodney Mullen one time at Daffin Park the day before Savannah Slamma. I had just really started getting into skating and I think Rodney's conversation with my dad made him way less bummed on skating. Thanks Rodney.

StabMasterArson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 774
« Reply #644 on: July 09, 2014, 10:09:20 AM »
A few weeks ago, I smoked a joint with Rod Allen while he was in town on an H-street tour and he said "I'm not even sure why I'm here, I ride for 3D." Then he went inside and rapped while "Shackle me not" played on a screen behind him.

doublesteveburger

« Reply #645 on: July 09, 2014, 03:16:36 PM »
In 1997/98 I rode in a car from Huntington Beach to San Diego with Tom Penny and Chad Muska. An old friend of mine knew Chad from San Diego and we picked them up on the way from Visalia. Anyway, when I walked in the apartment I saw an Ed Templeton painting and was so stoked. I looked over and saw what I thought was Elissa Steamer, then 'she' turned around and it was Tom Penny, total 'holy shit' moment. Chad showed us the drawings he was working on for his first pro shoe. We stopped at the rail that Pat Duffy 50-50's in Questionable and Chad tried to stand on it and steady himself at the top and grind down. It was fucked up. We hung out with them and skated outside Hamel's and then went and partied. The bummer part is that their boards got lost and I'm not positive but I think they thought we took them. We didn't. It was a rad day.

this is fucking amazing!

shared a cigarette with ellington once outside a contest. he had stitches on his face and was wearing lakais due to get in a bar brawl the night before and having his shoes stolen. dude was incredibly nice and even showed me images of future deathwish graphics on his iphone.

Rocko

• Rep: 39
« Reply #646 on: July 09, 2014, 04:58:11 PM »
I went to a DC signing once and everyone was leaving, but some dude came with a broken pay phone and asked everyone to sign it. He got everyone except nyjah who was walking to his car. He went up to nyjah's car (who wasn't driving it for some reason) and asked Nyjah to sign it. Nyjah asked if the guy had a sharpie and he was like no and asked all his homies and nyjah was like whatever I got one. The dude told his friends and shit they weren't skate or die and nyjah looked at him, threw the sharpie at the guy, and got in the passenger seat of the car and bounced.

foureyedjim

« Reply #647 on: July 09, 2014, 07:32:12 PM »
My friend messed up a wallride nollie out and hit me right in the shin in front of Frank Gerwer
He complimented my friend as I quietly writhed in pain.

GershonSweaty

• Rep: -3
    • @_moreinformation avatar image
« Reply #648 on: July 09, 2014, 07:33:25 PM »
Met Fos at our local spot and he taught me and my friend to do wallrides, this was quite some time ago when he had only just done a colourway for Emerica and Heroin was still based in England. Talked to him about music and other bullshit, an extremely nice guy.

Danny Brady, off and on is a nice guy made some crack about him wearing converse at a bar in Glasgow and how it would end up on Slap(being sarcastic) and he told me to fuck off.

Mostly all of the previous Blueprint team are rad amiable guys, Chewy Cannon especially you'd be hard pushed to meet a nicer guy.

Watched Louie Barletta eat a subway from a distance once, then spoke to him about tricks and how to do stupid shit on your board.

AD

« Reply #649 on: July 09, 2014, 07:43:52 PM »
Always cross paths with Heath & he's a dick every time(which I get a kick out of).

cuntzilla

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -63
« Reply #650 on: July 09, 2014, 08:06:01 PM »
Saw Mike Mo at a demo and got him to sign my sunnies. It was right after he had started Glassy so I think he was stoked to see that they had made it to Australia, so he went to the van and gave me his pair.
Not pro but I set up my board next to Tommy Fynn at my local once. Hes a super nice dude.
I don't rollerblade, I play ROLLER HOCKEY! I've been kicking haters like you to the curb forever

ill_Murray

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 401
« Reply #651 on: July 09, 2014, 08:18:31 PM »
Saw Mike Mo at a demo and got him to sign my sunnies. It was right after he had started Glassy so I think he was stoked to see that they had made it to Australia, so he went to the van and gave me his pair.
Not pro but I set up my board next to Tommy Fynn at my local once. Hes a super nice dude.

I've seen Tommy Fynn at Stoner a couple times with pretty big time gaps in between and he still remembered everyones' names and smiled the whole time.  One of the nicest dudes by far.
ill murray, can you remind me why you think im a kook

tom

• SLAP Pal
  • the moon rules
« Reply #652 on: July 09, 2014, 09:21:53 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Always cross paths with Heath & he's a dick every time(which I get a kick out of).
i like when dollin is there. he yells at everyone and it's pretty funny

i ate lunch outside at some restaurant in downtown la. after a little bit i looked up at someone eating twenty feet in front of me and bill murray was staring me down. i looked at him for a few seconds while trying to register what was happening. i smirked and pointed. he shrugged his shoulders and held up his sandwich and i held up mine. we both had the pulled pork

for the first two months i lived in california i pretty much lived at dave bachinskys house. there were five of us crashing at his house, plus his other two roommates. a photographer who is one of my friends from back home, and tom rohrer from minnesota . we pretty much would wake up and go skating at the local park to warm up, go out street skating with whoever dave had plans to meet up with that day, and end it off drinking beers with a backyard fire/bbq. we also went camping and hiking out in the mountains, and go to arcades. dave's a solid dude. he had a bunch of extra boards laying around that he offered up, and would go through his packages and extra gear and give us clothes
fuck you bama

ill_Murray

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #653 on: July 09, 2014, 09:28:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
i like when dollin is there. he yells at everyone and it's pretty funny

i ate lunch outside at some restaurant in downtown la. after a little bit i looked up at someone eating twenty feet in front of me and bill murray was staring me down. i looked at him for a few seconds while trying to register what was happening. i smirked and pointed. he shrugged his shoulders and held up his sandwich and i held up mine. we both had the pulled pork

for the first two months i lived in california i pretty much lived at dave bachinskys house. there were five of us crashing at his house, plus his other two roommates. a photographer who is one of my friends from back home, and tom rohrer from minnesota . we pretty much would wake up and go skating at the local park to warm up, go out street skating with whoever dave had plans to meet up with that day, and end it off drinking beers with a backyard fire/bbq. we also went camping and hiking out in the mountains, and go to arcades. dave's a solid dude. he had a bunch of extra boards laying around that he offered up, and would go through his packages and extra gear and give us clothes

What bar is it?
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 09:32:23 PM by ill_Murray »

tom

• SLAP Pal
  • the moon rules
« Reply #654 on: July 09, 2014, 09:41:23 PM »
black. it's on vermont ave in hollywood. him, atiba, and a few other people own it. it seems to get ripping 7 nights a week which is awesome if you have a bunch of cash to spend and no responsibilities
fuck you bama

ill_Murray

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #655 on: July 09, 2014, 09:57:03 PM »
black. it's on vermont ave in hollywood. him, atiba, and a few other people own it. it seems to get ripping 7 nights a week which is awesome if you have a bunch of cash to spend and no responsibilities

I've heard good things about this place, I guess I'll have to make it over there.

tom

• SLAP Pal
  • the moon rules
« Reply #656 on: July 09, 2014, 10:21:29 PM »
it's pretty cool. last time i went i met a cool french woman who was at least ten years older than me, bought me drinks, and put me on the guest list for some big brother show next month. i have to call her the next time i go. if it's close i suggest going
fuck you bama

hufs calve muscles

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 47
« Reply #657 on: July 10, 2014, 12:50:10 AM »
Oh man. I can just picture people trying really hard to look like they aren't having a good time while Moz and panda bear play

Sounds awesome.

gaunting

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
« Reply #658 on: July 10, 2014, 02:03:47 AM »
Skated with Andrew Reynolds.  He asked if anyone had wax.  I said "yeah I have some in the car".  Went to my car and had no wax.  I told him "Yo nevermind I don't have any" and he said "oh thats cool we'll find some".

I let the Boss down guys.

Bummer, lol. I met reynolds once, 2003'ish, it was the last time he rode at tampa pro, pretty sure he got 2nd. Very humble guy. The most memorable time though, was when i burned a joint with the label team, i think it was in 06' i know slash, and shuriken were still on, shuriken was a cool ass dude.
This has me cracking up, what exactly does Black Flag have to do with measuring your dick starting behind ya nuts?

Skateboarding is nothing but a game to find the right fits to appear like you're a proportional human being instead of a midget or a giant.

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #659 on: July 10, 2014, 05:49:14 AM »
Met Fos at our local spot and he taught me and my friend to do wallrides, this was quite some time ago when he had only just done a colourway for Emerica and Heroin was still based in England. Talked to him about music and other bullshit, an extremely nice guy.

The first time I dislocated my shoulder at Stockwell (I've done it 3 times there) I didn't have a phone on me, Fos came over and asked if I was ok, called a ambulance and help me in. I was sideways with pain and so thankful he helped me out. I sent him a nice email the next day and bought a Heroin deck.