Author Topic: Encounters with Pro Skaters  (Read 147533 times)

RonBalone

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -21
Re: Encounters with Pro Skaters
« Reply #150 on: October 25, 2009, 12:21:29 AM »
Chris Haslam Lutzka, and Carlos DeAndre at C2 about 6 yrs ago. Carlos skated like a maniac. Mach 5 speed.

lampshade

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 132
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #151 on: October 25, 2009, 04:39:38 AM »
Random encounter- Super hung over flying home from a wedding.  I sit down, aisle seat.  One row in front of me, across the aisle, Danny Way sits down.  I wasn't sure it was him at first, but when he got up to get something from the overhead bin, every single piece of clothing/gear he had was covered in either a DC or QS logo.  I wanted to say something to him, but it took most of my concentration not to vomit at the time. 

alienlurkshop

• Rep: -32
« Reply #152 on: December 28, 2009, 09:47:41 PM »
when I was younger me and my friends saw chris dobstaff at this flatground spot with his flat bar I asked if we could skate it he said yeah but only if we don't get in his way dude was real harsh

Mr.Jenkins

• Rep: 157
« Reply #153 on: December 29, 2009, 04:44:56 AM »
I have meet a lot of pros through the years, but there´s a few ones that really stands out. Hanging out with Josh Casper on a Osiris tour, he was pretty hated at the time, and i expected him to be a douche somehow, but he was really the coolest dudes i ever meet. At a signing he started to skate with a few kids, and when the signing ended we lost track of him. A few hours later he came back to the hotel, he went away with the kids to go skate with them. Really cool thing to do.

And on the flipside, the biggest douche i ever meet where Kerry Getz.. Worst.Temper.Ever.

Another thing that i rank high is when i went to a Flogging Molly concert to se Hensley and the guys. After the concert one of the bandguys got down on the floor, and i started to talking to him and thanking for a good show. I mentioned that i was supposed to go to a show with them in Ireland, but i missed it. He asked me why i missed it, and i said i was doing a skatedemo, and he ask if i knew Matt was a skater.. Wich i reply to as hell yeah! He asked if i wanted to meet him, told me to wait, went backstage and 20 minutes later he invited me back, and Hensley greeted me with a beer. Ended up chatting and drinking beers with him for an hour or two. A Year later the played in my hometown, on a Vansthing, and as a skater i hassled my way backstage, and Hensley remembered me by name and we had more beeers and talked some-  So nice guy. Never forgeting that.

Vibetekk

• Rep: 10
« Reply #154 on: December 29, 2009, 08:03:52 AM »
has anyone ever met louie? i always wonder what hed be like in person like if hes really that crazy

Stood in line behind him and Will Harmon at the store. This was near where I used to work in London. Will was bitching about how Slap wouldn't publish a certain photo of him, or the photographer wouldn't send it in, something like that. It felt weird because I knew who they were and what they were talking about but to them I was probably just another dude standing in line.

Walked out of work one day and almost ran into Tom Penny. We did that awkward shift to the left, shift to the right thing before making it past one another. This was also in London. I used to have some pretty random pro sightings when I lived there. Each time I didn't say anything just kind of said to myself "oh look that's so and so" then went on my way.
"They only live to get radical."

GnarlesManson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -118
« Reply #155 on: December 29, 2009, 10:50:50 AM »
random sightings that involved no interaction

rick howard at a restraunt
adrian williams on a bus
AVE at record store
KSL at record store
tommy guerolla at a bus stop
dill walking down the street (not 100% sure it was him)
gareth stehr walking down the street
antwaun drinking and dancing in a parking lot
herman driving a car
furby riding a bike
fowler drinking a beer (not too random cos it was the night of foundation premiere)
wenning near the beach
hsu with like 5 girls at a starbucks
heath, herman, leo, spanky, austin stephens at a restaurant parking lot
that carlos ruiz guy from "what if" came into my work the other day wearing cowboy boots

krewkruxklan

• Rep: 17
    • SUPRFI$CAL avatar image
« Reply #156 on: December 29, 2009, 11:21:45 AM »
saw rowley and gave him daps at the toronto extremley sorry preimer. also i had a smoke right next to appleyard, i was pretty speechless.

first pro encounter ever.

cats is nice but I aint seen god since hova spit that navy blue to me
SUPRFI$CAL

dylan makes me wet

« Reply #157 on: December 29, 2009, 12:35:26 PM »
i met olly todd and benny fairfax at a skate competition and we all tried to do flamingos together(yes a very wioerd situation)
at the same competiton i met stu graham and he was super chill and was still skating even though he had got 17 stictches in his head the day before,(which you could see)

SloppySevenths

• Rep: -11
« Reply #158 on: December 29, 2009, 03:19:08 PM »
Someone mentioned Pete Ramondetta being dope. I have to agree with that, skated mini with him once and he was a really friendly guy and the dude fucking destroys mini ramp. There was like a 2 foot extension and he was doing ollie up to back nose blunts on it.

Pete is the coolest dude ever. He used to skate up to me at skatechurch and be like dude, I learned a new trick!, Then show me or tell me what he filmed.. Im pretty sure he didnt know my name then, but I was always there so he would be super cool. Then after he went pro he came back, I made a joke and he got weird and just skated off.. Didnt recognize me at all. I felt like a fucking idiot. 2 years later I'm downtown SD walkin around and I hear someone go 'Hey, Myles, whats up!?' and Pete is standin in the sidewalk.
Jura thinks Im cool as fuck :D

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1576
  • Overweight and Underprepared
« Reply #159 on: December 29, 2009, 04:00:47 PM »
carlos ruiz before he blew up was super cool, and after.
Braydon szafranski is fucking tight.
sammy bap, not as much.
mike york ILL
Luis Tolentino is righteous
Marc johnson, wierded out by so many peeps (expected)
Derek Burdette, Sick
Tony montgomery, sick
Brian lotti, tight as hell.  It was a day when it was just me him and young kids that would have no idea who he was.  I saw him warming up and his style looked so familiar,  I asked him if his name was brian he said yes and the rest of the session was so cool.
Mike V was cool. 
Apple is legit
Guy mariano was cool.
dylan reider was too cool for school.  And by that I mean it was like him smoking a cig trying to look tight.
jesus fernandez is real nice.
Richard mulder is always the coolest.
Theotis is really cool I super back that guy.
David bowens or whatever is really really cool I hope he wins the OIAM.

I don't treat them any different that other people skating.  I think it is really funny when they expect to get treated like royalty and you act like you don't know who they are.  Hilarious.

"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate

Allen.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 714
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
« Reply #160 on: December 29, 2009, 04:09:44 PM »
Was at some Zumiez couch tour/flow contest thing in Aurora IL last summer. The entire Toy Machine team showed up and we were all SO hyped.

Weird part is I was walking around the parking lot and I just hear some dude skate by me and I look and it's Austin Stephens, followed by Johnny Layton.

My friend got a picture with Leo Romero. I told him that skateboarder cover was sick and at first it looked like he didn't know what I was talking about, then he's all "Oh! Thanks dude!"

Then I went and smoked a cigarette, came back and Ed was talking with someone. I waited until they were done and asked Ed if I was interrupting him and if I could get a picture with him. He's the nicest dude ever, and actually talked to us for a while. Genuinely nice dude. I was fanning out, and all I remember saying was "Dude...... you rip."
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 315
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #161 on: December 29, 2009, 04:13:51 PM »
Expand Quote
has anyone ever met louie? i always wonder what hed be like in person like if hes really that crazy
[close]

Stood in line behind him and Will Harmon at the store. This was near where I used to work in London. Will was bitching about how Slap wouldn't publish a certain photo of him, or the photographer wouldn't send it in, something like that. It felt weird because I knew who they were and what they were talking about but to them I was probably just another dude standing in line.

Walked out of work one day and almost ran into Tom Penny. We did that awkward shift to the left, shift to the right thing before making it past one another. This was also in London. I used to have some pretty random pro sightings when I lived there. Each time I didn't say anything just kind of said to myself "oh look that's so and so" then went on my way.

I met Louie to get a board signed and he was super humble. I had Muska's autograph signed at the time on the board and he said he felt he wasn't worthy. Dude is super cool.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

Gorilla Flip

• Rep: -4
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #162 on: December 29, 2009, 06:41:40 PM »
Met Andrew Reynolds, talked to him
He didn't like me

hekkahyphy

« Reply #163 on: December 29, 2009, 06:47:03 PM »
there was an adio tour passin thru sayreville and they skated some school so my bro and i were checkin it out and danny montoya was tryin to switch back five o one eighty out (backside) on this stuid high ledge with a dumb rollaway and ernie torres screamed at him saying why do u have to 180 out im trtying to go home...

clamy

« Reply #164 on: December 30, 2009, 04:09:04 AM »
Great stories. Sucks cause I've got none to share. Oh, wait, Dane Burman came to my park and was an asshole to most. All who deserved it, like this one guy who thinks his super cool but really sucks, Dane was making funny faces at every trick he did. It was awesome.

floop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -28
  • the things I do for my fucking friends!
« Reply #165 on: January 18, 2010, 05:16:41 PM »
literally 30 minutes ago i saw Sammy Baca, Nuge, and Brian Hanson in Burbank, just crusing around.  i was in Wasteland (clothing store) and they walked right past me.   didn't say anything cuz i don't know what i'd say without sounding stuipd, but it was pretty cool.   pretty weird to see Baca in the flesh right next to me after watching Prevent This Tragedy so many times this past week.  surprise surprise, he was wearing a flannel, cut off dickies and knee socks.

living in LA i see "celebs" and actors often but i only get excited if it's someone i'm a big fan of (i saw Paul Thomas Anderson once and that was more cool than any actor i've seen)..    i'm not even the biggest Deathwish fan but seeing these guys crusing around definitely felt like seeing rock stars or something.  and it's funny when you know that no one else around you knows who the hell they are
"Every time I read one of your shitty posts I wonder why I am wasting my time looking at SLAP."

Krudler

« Reply #166 on: January 18, 2010, 05:26:47 PM »
Hes not a pro but i skated some spots in Tampa with Pat Steiner.  He wasn't very good.

Clayton

• Rep: 78
    • Spot Hunter avatar image
« Reply #167 on: January 18, 2010, 06:37:45 PM »
Met GMos. I remember seeing him in videos thinking he was a bodybuilder or something, and he was pretty short. Nice dude, but holy shit he can talk a lot.

Met Sid Melvin when I was drunk outside a bar and chilling with some semi busted chicks. Think I weirded him out by asking him if he wanted to meet some bitches, and I don't think I introduced myself. Was just like "Sid Melvin?! Whats up dude!?"

Met Cardiel. My friend won a contest he was judging, and I handed him a video I made afterward. He asked me what I wanted him to do with it and I told him "just watch it!" He was psyched. I was psyched. Cardiel's the shit.

Seen dozens of pros that I never actually met. Corey Duffel changing into some pointy goth shoes after skating a mini ramp was pretty funny. Petted Dyrdek's dog Meaty, he was cool.

Oh yeah, and I poached Justin Strubing do a trick at 3rd n Army before. Nollie 270 pivot fakie on the dyi that used to be there. He wasn't trying to film with anyone, and I was filming a friend skate the same shit. After he landed it he looked at me like "Did you get that?" and I kind of gave him a blank stare not knowing what to do.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 06:44:03 PM by Clayton »

James Joyce

• Rep: 46
« Reply #168 on: January 18, 2010, 09:10:31 PM »
Saw the Muska (Circa/Shorty's era) passed out (Heineken in hand) at seven in the morning in some bushes right next to my local Grocery store while I was going in to buy bacon. Even weirder is that I live in New Zealand. 

Saw Tony T playing Pac Man once with Lee Ralph.

Ethan Fowler at Burger King and told him I liked his Stereo Days part. He's a really nice guy.
they're a whole gang of rag tag scalliwag's, but helga in the back is definitely in it for the strudels

tommytee

« Reply #169 on: January 18, 2010, 09:36:43 PM »
literally 30 minutes ago i saw Sammy Baca, Nuge, and Brian Hanson in Burbank, just crusing around.  i was in Wasteland (clothing store) and they walked right past me.   didn't say anything cuz i don't know what i'd say without sounding stuipd, but it was pretty cool.   pretty weird to see Baca in the flesh right next to me after watching Prevent This Tragedy so many times this past week.  surprise surprise, he was wearing a flannel, cut off dickies and knee socks.

living in LA i see "celebs" and actors often but i only get excited if it's someone i'm a big fan of (i saw Paul Thomas Anderson once and that was more cool than any actor i've seen)..    i'm not even the biggest Deathwish fan but seeing these guys crusing around definitely felt like seeing rock stars or something.  and it's funny when you know that no one else around you knows who the hell they are
you should have asked slash about the time he used to wear his mom's panties in the 7th grade

tommytee

« Reply #170 on: January 18, 2010, 09:41:37 PM »
i got yacked out with brian hoard one time he told me he was coming back into the skate game with a master plan of doing switch tricks in pools but that was 4 years ago. cocaine is a hell of a drug

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1578
« Reply #171 on: January 18, 2010, 09:51:59 PM »
tyler bledstoe asked me for directions to his hotel when he was a little kid....it was the cutest thing ever.....

Zurg

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
« Reply #172 on: January 18, 2010, 10:03:17 PM »
Saw the Muska (Circa/Shorty's era) passed out (Heineken in hand) at seven in the morning in some bushes right next to my local Grocery store while I was going in to buy bacon. Even weirder is that I live in New Zealand. 

thats so good

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #173 on: January 18, 2010, 10:05:54 PM »
I have had a few encounters with pros, but this one was particularly funny. Drunk at the bar and these dudes come up with electric skateboards showing off how they work. Justing Strubing starts talking to the dudes, and before long, a one block, there and back street race was on. Man vs. machine. The dudes talked up their machine as the race was about to start, and he still was in to do it. They were off, and it was close, but Strubing won, and electric skateboard dudes were shamed, and the rest of the skaters there were hyped.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

spare change

« Reply #174 on: January 18, 2010, 10:09:38 PM »
Jim Thiebaud is the most legit guy ever.
Made my life meeting him and talking for a while.

nagoooyen

• Rep: -10
« Reply #175 on: January 18, 2010, 10:28:56 PM »
nicest dude for sure is mikey taylor, he talked to me and my friends at maloof like we were his best friends.

grimcity

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2214
  • computer says no
« Reply #176 on: January 18, 2010, 10:44:35 PM »
Jim Thiebaud is the most legit guy ever.
Best dude ever.

GnarlesManson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -118
« Reply #177 on: January 18, 2010, 10:51:48 PM »
in the past week ive seen raymond molinar, spanky, the flip filmer and leo romero

alienlurkshop

« Reply #178 on: January 18, 2010, 11:30:33 PM »
this one is 100% true. in national city ( a part of san diego) theres this real shitty skatepark called kimball skatepark. anyway i go there like at 9am and lenny rivas is there on a bmx bicycle drinking a 40oz.

Chris Partlow

• Rep: 1
  • dont worry boss i got you covered, quick and clean
« Reply #179 on: January 18, 2010, 11:34:53 PM »
this one is 100% true. in national city ( a part of san diego) theres this real shitty skatepark called kimball skatepark. anyway i go there like at 9am and lenny rivas is there on a bmx bicycle drinking a 40oz.
now thats what i call a fuckin encounter