Author Topic: Post your DIY spots  (Read 196436 times)

Eschaton

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -46
  • D?ner Macht Sch?ner
Re: Post your DIY spots
« Reply #210 on: July 31, 2011, 09:32:25 AM »
That's a shame though. In Europe you can get away with a lot more tagging, people don't seem to mind as much there, or they gave up on stopping it. I feel like over there it's not really associated with gang activity.

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
« Reply #211 on: August 19, 2011, 04:51:21 PM »
any good DIY's around chicago? I just moved here and could use some help finding spots

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

EastCoastLove

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 64
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #212 on: August 28, 2011, 10:35:01 AM »

just finished this thing yesterday

Escapist

• Rep: 2
« Reply #213 on: August 28, 2011, 11:24:20 AM »

How many bags did this take?

Uniden

• Rep: 38
  • Sit on my face
« Reply #214 on: August 28, 2011, 03:33:56 PM »
Here is a video of a spot we made in Wellington New Zealand.

Planning to build more soon.

Vox X Manual DIY competition 2010
No plans, just ideas

« Reply #215 on: August 28, 2011, 05:00:13 PM »
that looks like fun

Uniden

• Rep: 38
  • Sit on my face
« Reply #216 on: August 28, 2011, 05:42:26 PM »
The build was a lot of fun and after we made the video we were contacted by the local council who were surprisingly into what we had made. They are allowing us to build more stuff up there too which is epic.

https://www.facebook.com/newtownghettospot
No plans, just ideas

EastCoastLove

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #217 on: August 28, 2011, 07:59:03 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

13 of regular quikrete (80lb bags) and 4 portland bags for the surface (94lb bags)

although we might add another portland bag to ease out that vert kink
« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 08:10:57 PM by EastCoastLove »

marginal way

• Rep: 51
  • making it happen
    • marginal way website avatar image
« Reply #218 on: August 28, 2011, 08:35:58 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

13 of regular quikrete (80lb bags) and 4 portland bags for the surface (94lb bags)

use more fill, pack it better, and you won't need as much concrete next time. if you got some kind of rebar stiffening things up, it only needs to be a few inches thick.

if you've got a good cheap/free wood hookup, you can also save concrete by building backer boards. basically, you build a quarterpipe with forms on the sides, reinforced REALLY well. use LOTS of screws. then throw some rebar in there, and you're good to go. pour it and screed it just like normal, but now the wet mud is sitting on a uniform surface, instead of some super uneven rubble pile.....  remember, the rubble under the concrete isn't supporting the weight of the concrete, the rebar inside of the concrete is.

i'm not the official voice of the park, i'm just a guy who skates and works there...
www.marginalwayskatepark.org

twitter- @MWDIY facebook- http://www.facebook.com/mwdiy

marginal way

• making it happen
« Reply #219 on: August 28, 2011, 08:42:22 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

use more fill, pack it better, and you won't need as much concrete next time. if you got some kind of rebar stiffening things up, it only needs to be a few inches thick.

if you've got a good cheap/free wood hookup, you can also save concrete by building backer boards. basically, you build a quarterpipe with forms on the sides, reinforced REALLY well. use LOTS of screws. then throw some rebar in there, and you're good to go. pour it and screed it just like normal, but now the wet mud is sitting on a uniform surface, instead of some super uneven rubble pile.....  remember, the rubble under the concrete isn't supporting the weight of the concrete, the rebar inside of the concrete is.

i'm not the official voice of the park, i'm just a guy who skates and works there...

EastCoastLove

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #220 on: August 28, 2011, 09:46:49 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]

if you've got a good cheap/free wood hookup, you can also save concrete by building backer boards. basically, you build a quarterpipe with forms on the sides, reinforced REALLY well. use LOTS of screws. then throw some rebar in there, and you're good to go. pour it and screed it just like normal, but now the wet mud is sitting on a uniform surface, instead of some super uneven rubble pile.....  remember, the rubble under the concrete isn't supporting the weight of the concrete, the rebar inside of the concrete is.
yeah we packed that thing full of bricks and broken tiles. you add a layer of mud then rubble then mud and so on. we used two layers of chicken wire as well. maybe next pour well cut some rebar in place of the wire.  also the form looks a bit crooked but thats because the wall is borderline oververt. our plan is to build an exact replica 4 feet away you so you can have a channel gap that will be just as challenging to wallride over. but as of right now we have no permission with the property owner.  the dude works 7days a week right next door....
« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 09:50:22 PM by EastCoastLove »

Gnarwhal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -20
« Reply #221 on: August 29, 2011, 11:26:37 AM »
any good DIY's around chicago? I just moved here and could use some help finding spots
under the thorndale red line stop, check the chicago thread.  and at ravenswood and leland someone built a quarterpipe

marginal way

• making it happen
« Reply #222 on: August 29, 2011, 12:35:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

Eschaton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -46
  • D?ner Macht Sch?ner
« Reply #223 on: August 29, 2011, 02:25:24 PM »
So is getting rebar worth it or can I just be cheap and use chicken wire?

marginal way

• making it happen
« Reply #224 on: August 29, 2011, 05:48:48 PM »
depends on how much support is under it, and how supportive that support is. if its just a bunch of dirt and shit that will settle over time or leak out the sides, you'll need to have some rebar (or something similar. you can get pretty creative if you have to. scrap metal yards are your friend.) in there stiffening it up if you want your obstacle to last. and you don't necessarily have to use rebar. chainlink fence is pretty good, if you put a couple layers together. and remember, for the rebar (or whatever) to do its job, it's gotta be COMPLETELY ENCASED in the concrete. you want at least 2 fingers of clearance below your rebar. i've heard the analogy that the rebar is the bones, and the concrete is the muscles.

on the other hand, if you build a well-framed, stiff form like i described in my earlier post, you can probably get away with chicken wire (you'll probably want to put a few screws sticking up here and there to suspend the chicken wire from to insure total encasement) and it will probably last until the wood underneath rots away. probably.  i'm pretty sure this is how a lot of the temporary concrete parks for contests are being built. they're probably using custom fabbed metal backers and stuff, but the theory is the same.

hope that helped.

pekkaaa

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 234
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #225 on: September 15, 2011, 01:01:02 PM »

Finished up this one a couple of days ago, will make more stuff this weekend, stoked!

poopmonkey

• Rep: 20
« Reply #226 on: September 15, 2011, 04:37:55 PM »
me and a friend wanna fill all these cracks, to make it grind-able

should i use concrete or cement?
really new to diy

happenstance

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 690
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #227 on: September 15, 2011, 05:03:56 PM »
me and a friend wanna fill all these cracks, to make it grind-able

should i use concrete or cement?
really new to diy

The cracks are too fine to really use either concrete or cement on it. It would just crack and chip away. Use bondo, fill the cracks liberally so it pours over a little and sand it down after it dries thoroughly. Before you use the bondo you should use a screw driver to sort of clean out the crack of loose pebbles, sand off any wax and then maybe pour some water over the whole area so that it is nice and clean so that the bondo actually bonds (of course you should let that water dry completely before you use the bondo).

poopmonkey

« Reply #228 on: September 18, 2011, 12:01:07 PM »
result! sorry for the big pics

we might smoothen out the downward manny soon, and fill up the gap between the grinding surface and the tiles. the wallrides face the ledge/miniquarter, so tons of possibilities for lines and stuff. hyped!

pica

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -36
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #229 on: September 18, 2011, 04:08:31 PM »

we might smoothen out the downward manny soon, and fill up the gap between the grinding surface and the tiles. the wallrides face the ledge/miniquarter, so tons of possibilities for lines and stuff. hyped!
you used too much water on this one, rest should hold up good, but this aint gonna work.

floop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -28
  • the things I do for my fucking friends!
« Reply #230 on: September 18, 2011, 04:26:47 PM »

sick.  i want to see someone wallride the oververt part
"Every time I read one of your shitty posts I wonder why I am wasting my time looking at SLAP."

poopmonkey

« Reply #231 on: September 20, 2011, 05:40:57 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
you used too much water on this one, rest should hold up good, but this aint gonna work.
worked out pretty well actually, someone had the idea to pour some water over it to smoothen it out or some shit. grinds great!

marginal way

• making it happen
« Reply #232 on: September 20, 2011, 01:01:25 PM »
adding that much water will make your crete really weak and brittle. in that applocation, it really doesn't matter to much, since it's just filling in the gap, but for future reference, you make concrete smooth by working it, not adding water. besides, you have what's called a "cold joint" there, so the new concrete won't stick to the old.

there's a ton of epoxies that would fill that kinda shit in and look pro as hell. after all the crapcrete you have in that crack chips out, just use bondo or something similar.

remember.... when you're spotfixing, you usually wanna make it look as good as possible to insure that people don't notice your "repairs," and if they do, they won't get bummed on how crappy it looks.

i might sound like a dick, but i'm honestly trying to help.

poopmonkey

« Reply #233 on: September 21, 2011, 04:55:54 PM »
it's not concrete in there. it's stuff for fixing holes in concrete floors, les brittle than actual concrete when it comes to filling cracks, since the texture's smooth. it bonded to the old concrete really well and skates really well.

frank

• Rep: 2
« Reply #234 on: October 27, 2011, 12:52:45 PM »
in the past couple weeks parts of my local park have been disappearing. i don't know the actual reason but rumor is the town is turning it into a beginner's park? so far two quarters and the best mini i've ever skated have been removed, leaving it to a flat bar, one quarter/bank mix, a small ledge/fun box with a fucked up kinked down rail (apparently when they removed the mini they bumped it with some heavy machinery) a spine, and a qp/bank/5 stair fun box. any way, i've been thinking about getting some people together to build some shit. i figured if i got 5 people to pitch in, a cinderblock ledge would be doable. i was just wondering if i should get permission or just give my self the go ahead. also, i watched this video but was hoping i could get some extra insight/tips to tweak it to make it better. this would be my first diy project by the way.
How to build a DIY skateboarding ledge

happenstance

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #235 on: October 27, 2011, 01:06:17 PM »
^ Honestly, I have made a few ledges out of only liquid nails and they have all lasted. Just use a lot, especially when glueing the cinderblocks to the ground. I built mine differently though. I think a kid posted a picture earlier using the same design I always use (it was a ledge in his driveway so look for that and you can see what I mean). I stack two cinderblocks high the other way than what is featured in the video above (as in the way so you can not see the holes). You could also get these little cinder block bricks if you want it a little lower. You would then use one layer of cinderblocks and then the cinderblock bricks on top. I then glue the plastic deck material on top (there is this stuff at home depot that is great where three strips fit perfectly). I have also seen people glue wood and angle iron on top but I like the deck material. With all the glue, cinder blocks and deck material a ledge costs around 60-80 dollars. Hope that helps. Respond if you have any questions.

edit: this is the easiest way. I could explain the way to make them out of solid concrete with angle iron but that takes a lot more time.

BraveUlysses

« Reply #236 on: October 27, 2011, 06:08:30 PM »
I always wondered what DIY stood for. Then I thought about it and I finally figured it out myself.

marginal way

• making it happen
« Reply #237 on: October 27, 2011, 07:26:10 PM »
clever....

BraveUlysses

« Reply #238 on: October 27, 2011, 07:49:34 PM »
Haha that joke was unintentional. I just noticed it.

happenstance

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #239 on: October 27, 2011, 07:54:03 PM »
Haha that joke was unintentional. I just noticed it.
Ha! I noticed earlier and totally thought you were being witty.