Author Topic: Post your DIY spots  (Read 196483 times)

troy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -2
Re: Post your DIY spots
« Reply #420 on: September 05, 2014, 10:42:55 PM »
i had some chicken wire, but i kinda fucked up putting shit in before so it barely shows in a couple areas. Whats the best way to make coping stick to cinder blocks? Thanks for the advice!

shark tits

« Reply #421 on: September 05, 2014, 11:03:53 PM »
i had some chicken wire, but i kinda fucked up putting shit in before so it barely shows in a couple areas. Whats the best way to make coping stick to cinder blocks? Thanks for the advice!
i'm not 100 because i mostly build street spots. i've built solid banks for wallrides and i use gorillat glue to adhere angle iron or granite to cinderblock ledges but haven't really done anything w/ pool coping. we did make a small bank and cemented parking blocks to the top but a few thuggish rock fakies shook them loose. maybe if we'd used more mortar/cement?
i know that gorilla glue does us justice for ledges so long as the grind surface is flush and supported, otherwise we hafta replace the glue every so often.
what i would try [if you can't get more experienced advice] is make a bed of cement to support the coping and glue the bottom to the cinderblock proper. good luck and you'll figure more stuff the more you play w/ materials.

StabMasterArson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 774
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #422 on: September 07, 2014, 06:50:38 PM »
I adopted an abandoned park in the city of Detroit and started building last week, check us out.

http://instagram.com/communitypush

paraquat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 199
« Reply #423 on: September 07, 2014, 06:57:34 PM »
I adopted an abandoned park in the city of Detroit and started building last week, check us out.

Followed. Might make a trip from Toledo in October, can I get directions? I will gladly buy a tshirt

JAesop

« Reply #424 on: September 07, 2014, 07:08:31 PM »
how do you make the concrete smooth? I tried making a small quarter pipe in the backyard but the concrete is too crumbly. How do i fix this?

You have to float concrete if you really want a good finish. Buy, borrow or steal a magnesium hand float.
Then you can finish with a finishing trowel to smooth it as it sets up. Concrete really doesn't work unless it is about 2 inches deep and it needs to be supported by screens or rebar.  Learning to get the mix just right helps too, overly wet is bad and will lead to cracks and uneven settling and not wet enough is worse. If you use premixed concrete look for the stuff that is high traffic/high weight rated. I think Sakcrete makes like a 5000 psi. It usually has fiberglass or some additive and I have found that it holds up much better.
You can use construction adhesive or stone adhesive for angle iron. It's in the stores usually near caulk. ( stuff like Liquid Nails works)

shark tits

« Reply #425 on: September 07, 2014, 07:42:44 PM »

my comp won't let me see your pics but where exactly in the D are you? when i was out there, the model who owned the bbq in corktown was sposedta do something w/ in front of the train station. don't suppose that happened?
i seen footage of justin bohl busting the stupid dope moves on a granite homemade bench in a basketball court w/ a backdrop of deserted projects. don't know exactly where that is but looked rad. [prolly could've figured through context]
is that the same spot w/ the 10 foot polejam/up flatbars? looked scary/fun.
i mostly skated griswold plaza but detroit has the potential to be on some sustainable ag/DIY paradise shit if the economy/powers that be allow.

ttching!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 65214
  • Smilin' Mercenary
« Reply #426 on: September 17, 2014, 02:02:54 PM »
A Uhaul truck full of concrete debris, hopefully bound for an abandoned building in New Jersey:

StabMasterArson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 774
« Reply #427 on: September 18, 2014, 10:34:45 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
my comp won't let me see your pics but where exactly in the D are you? when i was out there, the model who owned the bbq in corktown was sposedta do something w/ in front of the train station. don't suppose that happened?
i seen footage of justin bohl busting the stupid dope moves on a granite homemade bench in a basketball court w/ a backdrop of deserted projects. don't know exactly where that is but looked rad. [prolly could've figured through context]
is that the same spot w/ the 10 foot polejam/up flatbars? looked scary/fun.
i mostly skated griswold plaza but detroit has the potential to be on some sustainable ag/DIY paradise shit if the economy/powers that be allow.

Ha, I've been working on and off with that model for four years on that project. Nothing yet. That spot with the benches was the Brewster Projects, they got demo'd this year.

But we are less than three weeks into our build at the new spot. Doing an opening BBQ on Oct 4th.

shark tits

« Reply #428 on: September 18, 2014, 01:12:33 PM »
sick, i forgot his name, i think cooley, right? i can't remember the name of the bbq place either but people spoke well of him. met some skater at griswold who was dating dude's sister. i loved it out there, could see doing a lot of stuff if folks were interested in doing work. i have trouble getting a load of debris driven a mile and i can't skate it over.

tortfeasor

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 341
« Reply #429 on: September 23, 2014, 12:10:48 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Followed. Might make a trip from Toledo in October, can I get directions? I will gladly buy a tshirt

thats really something special.  amazing work!!
is there a place online i can order a t-shirt?
more heaven-cruise than hell-ride.

yungthug

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -37
« Reply #430 on: November 16, 2014, 12:17:27 PM »
A friend and I started this DIY in Harrisonburg, VA called "Country Club."
What's been built so far:

Rusty_Berrings

« Reply #431 on: November 16, 2014, 04:59:43 PM »
looks good! you guys plan on pouring any 'crete?

yungthug

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #432 on: November 16, 2014, 07:43:31 PM »
We have poured, to a limited extent. The angle iron ledge required roughly 12 bags of quikcrete and a top layer of grout. Any stuff beyond that, like quarterpipes, kickers, or bank ramps is not an option at least for the time being.

The DIY has mostly been built and paid for by me and my friend. The only exception is the flatbar.

We're college students, so this shit costs a pretty significant amount of money for us. Most of the people who skate the project, when talked to, are all like, "Hell yeah man. I wanna get involved and build stuff." But then when I hit them up they're magically busy all of the sudden. Until we can find more committed guys who are down to put in time and money, more extensive stuff is off the table. I can't afford to keep improving this project without more support.

This isn't meant to be some sort of sob story. I'm happy we built here. We now have a place to meet up and skate and hangout other than a shitty prefab park. Building something and then being able to enjoy it is really fun. I just wish more people would get involved, rather than just be free riders.

shark tits

« Reply #433 on: November 16, 2014, 07:59:59 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Most of the people who skate the project, when talked to, are all like, "Hell yeah man. I wanna get involved and build stuff." But then when I hit them up they're magically busy all of the sudden.
yep, that's my experience. too cold for any cement til april-ish but i'm thinking of making temporary obstacles from now on. i like a bit of reciprocation and since it's lacking i'll glue some angle iron to crummy cement, film a day's labor then take it down. even my work partner lets me down alot when it comes ti-time ti-time for some action which leads me to purchase heroin like 'eff this project'.
it's self defeating but such a letdown when i'm on welfare and everyone else has more  money than me but unwilling to kick in/give me a ride to purchase/mix 80 lb bags. doesn't have to be donations, just caring enough to give me a ride since i don't drive or lend a hand would travel a great distance w/ me.
oh and this kills me, motherfuckers in my town going on the detroit diy thread talkin about 'i wanna send you some money' when they're never gonna go there but i'm steady building here where you can access it, wormside is here for anyone to skate but you wanna donate to something you will never skate.
your spot is looking tit anyways, yungthug. don't let da man get you down!

Rusty_Berrings

« Reply #434 on: November 16, 2014, 08:35:08 PM »
12 bags? you don't think it would've been cheaper to use cinder blocks without holes in them and one and a half bags? it shouldn't be more than like 7 90 pound bags of portland cement ontop of some debris/rocks/gravel to make a lil bank really
« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 08:59:32 PM by Rusty_Berrings »

yungthug

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #435 on: November 17, 2014, 12:40:10 PM »
12 bags? you don't think it would've been cheaper to use cinder blocks without holes in them and one and a half bags? it shouldn't be more than like 7 90 pound bags of portland cement ontop of some debris/rocks/gravel to make a lil bank really
I wanted to make the ledge to the best of my ability. With the twelve bags, that ledge is not going anywhere. It's gonna last for a while.

I hear you with the bank, but after these last few weeks of building, I'm gonna chill for awhile and enjoy what we've currently got.

pile

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 178
  • sweet, man.
« Reply #436 on: January 25, 2015, 12:21:04 AM »
that's crazy that you refer to yours as the country club as well. the one i've chipped in a bit at is built on the tennis courts of an old country club. they filmed the hockey scenes from happy gilmore there!

YoungChum

« Reply #437 on: February 03, 2015, 01:05:23 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPtyy3HJubo our chill little street diy that is gonna be bulldozed soon :'(

HyperBeam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -58
« Reply #438 on: February 13, 2015, 09:41:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
Most of the people who skate the project, when talked to, are all like, "Hell yeah man. I wanna get involved and build stuff." But then when I hit them up they're magically busy all of the sudden.
[close]
yep, that's my experience. too cold for any cement til april-ish but i'm thinking of making temporary obstacles from now on. i like a bit of reciprocation and since it's lacking i'll glue some angle iron to crummy cement, film a day's labor then take it down. even my work partner lets me down alot when it comes ti-time ti-time for some action which leads me to purchase heroin like 'eff this project'.
it's self defeating but such a letdown when i'm on welfare and everyone else has more  money than me but unwilling to kick in/give me a ride to purchase/mix 80 lb bags. doesn't have to be donations, just caring enough to give me a ride since i don't drive or lend a hand would travel a great distance w/ me.
oh and this kills me, motherfuckers in my town going on the detroit diy thread talkin about 'i wanna send you some money' when they're never gonna go there but i'm steady building here where you can access it, wormside is here for anyone to skate but you wanna donate to something you will never skate.

nobody owes you anything.

shark tits

« Reply #439 on: February 13, 2015, 11:33:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]

nobody owes you anything.
no shit dummy. i never said i was 'owed' anything just like i don't 'owe' it to people who live in close proximity to build spots for them to play on. i found it questionable that people want to donate to something in another region of the country as opposed to helping out someone who's building in your area. not necessarily me, there's wormside and i've got nothing to do w/ that spot, don't even enjoy it. if i didn't make spots i'd prolly donate to wormside on the strength, certainly before i'd donate towards anything out of state.

HyperBeam

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #440 on: February 14, 2015, 08:15:41 PM »
from your reaction to your friends' lack of support, it sounds like you think they should do more to help you out. yeah?

shark tits

« Reply #441 on: February 14, 2015, 08:36:33 PM »
from your reaction to your friends' lack of support, it sounds like you think they should do more to help you out. yeah?
not really because i don't have any friends but i do like to complain so i think everything is where it should be
[lord knows i trespass on all sorts of spots i didn't build]

QUIT SINNIN

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 26
  • PATSY
« Reply #442 on: February 14, 2015, 09:10:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

you're in detroit?

shark tits

« Reply #443 on: February 14, 2015, 09:30:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]

you're in detroit?
nah, massachusetts. i was calling out someone for wanting to donate to a place they'd never been [detroit] when there's diy construction here [mass]

HyperBeam

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #444 on: February 15, 2015, 12:15:05 PM »
alright man. good luck with your spots. I hope you find some friends who will help you out.

QUIT SINNIN

• SLAP Pal
  • PATSY
« Reply #445 on: February 15, 2015, 01:10:54 PM »
How would I go about getting a nice, heavy metal flatbar? Not  some shitty one sold at a shop, but the kind you would see at a park. Would I have to weld something?
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 01:28:24 PM by QUIT SINNIN »

shark tits

« Reply #446 on: February 15, 2015, 01:14:41 PM »
alright man. good luck with your spots. I hope you find some friends who will help you out.
thanks pal but i've got a better chance of seeing god.
quit sinnin, don't steal the park's flatbar. what i would do is find a handicap flatbar [3ish feet high] and bury it up to it's knickers in mulch gap rendering it 'knee high' or so. take it from a vacant place, just sawzall where it connects to the ramp/ground/whatever.
 someone stole the flatbar from marlboro skatepark and now i can't help but think of the place as a gelding or eunuch. for all that is holy, don't steal the park's flatbar.
but if you do, break up the ground around the feet, no welding required.

QUIT SINNIN

• SLAP Pal
  • PATSY
« Reply #447 on: February 15, 2015, 01:30:11 PM »
nah i would never dare steal the park's flatbar

uesty

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #448 on: February 15, 2015, 06:51:51 PM »
local seacoast NH DIY i enjoy skating when we aren't receiving record snowfall. i'm not the one in the video, but it gives you the a good idea

Will Mazzari @ ShitPark

Janet F. Doss

• Rep: -3
« Reply #449 on: May 07, 2015, 12:41:26 AM »
I want to become a professional skate boarder and need your guide guys. Can you help me on it? I am sure you can guide me to a better way. I really loved this forum for its cool information.

http://www.loveandbuyit.net/product/nabi-2/
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 05:32:10 AM by Janet F. Doss »
Spoke at an international conference about getting my feet wet with tobacco in Tampa, FL. Spent the 80's lecturing about toy trucks worldwide. At the moment I'm buying and selling toy planes for the underprivileged. Spent 2002-2009 getting to know toy elephants in Ocean City, NJ. Spent the better pa