Author Topic: Zombies  (Read 12408 times)

grimcity

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2214
  • computer says no
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Zombies
« Reply #90 on: December 17, 2009, 12:24:24 PM »
^
Sickness.

Anyone here ever see Dead Heat with Joe Piscapo?

...it was better than the trailer, but not by a whole lot. Williams hat a cool character... not that anything can cancel out Joe's presence. Zombie cop buddy movie.

Foray

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 224
  • Miglios
« Reply #91 on: December 17, 2009, 06:41:30 PM »
i had a dream the other night about zombies.  after what seemed like hours of running from them i woke up pretty terrified.  i got bit a few times but it was only temporarily, and i vividly remember just tripping balls when i was bitten. 

then i woke up, fell back asleep and had a dream about getting seduced by a good looking older (30's) lady that works in the same office as me.  i felt like a creep at work that day.   

pancake man

• Rep: 34
« Reply #92 on: December 17, 2009, 07:40:43 PM »
i had a dream the other night about zombies.  after what seemed like hours of running from them i woke up pretty terrified.  i got bit a few times but it was only temporarily, and i vividly remember just tripping balls when i was bitten. 

I had a dream similar to this, but when i was bitten it was kind of like "Last Stand" in call of duty, where i kept shooting until i had one one shot left, and then shot myself in the head. It was fucked up to actually dream of me shooting myself and dying in my dream. Mad peaceful though.

Watson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2240
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #93 on: December 17, 2009, 10:46:20 PM »
I thought Savini's remake of Night of the Living Dead was good.

Touche. I own that one and I like it. But a remake sort of doesn't really count.

Expand Quote
Goddamnit.... now I have to go track this down
[close]
Yeah, it's insane... good art, good story, rotten undead everywhere... better than Max Brook's graphic novel in the respect that there's a lot more depth to it, though Max's book was just a supplement to the Survival Guide. This is a serious must-have.

Yeah dude, Walking Dead is some of the best zombie material ever put out. Definitely better than the Recorded Attacks book. Just as good as World War Z. I read the trade paperbacks and let me tell you it's fucking torture waiting 5 months for each new one to come out. Goddamnit!

I'm sure I already posted it on here but apparently the AMC channel has picked up the rights to Walking Dead and are developing it into a series. If done right, it could be the best thing ever. Also if Brad Pitt's company doesn't butcher World War Z, there me be hope for the hopeless apocalyptic zombie future.

I also just bought this for my brother for Christmas:

It kind of just feels like a rip of Walking Dead, but the art and the story are both good enough, and at $19.95, it's probably worth it. Here's some samples I found online:

Stoked on this thread and that there are people into real zombie mythos.

Garth Marenghi

« Reply #94 on: December 18, 2009, 02:07:17 AM »

grimcity

• SLAP Pal
  • computer says no
« Reply #95 on: December 18, 2009, 04:56:39 AM »
Well, someone's gotta save these people. Might as well be us fanboys.

I saw that "Record of the Year of Infection" at the comic store I hit up... gonna have to check that out. Gonna pick up the other Walking Dead paperbacks today or soon after though... gotta know what happens next...

MyUserName

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 174
« Reply #96 on: December 18, 2009, 05:56:46 AM »
I think it says a lot about a person when they don't enjoy (or haven't heard of) Shaun of the Dead. Easily my favorite zombie flick and one of my all-time favorite movies ever.

Still haven't seen Diary of the Dead. Let's hear some one sentence reviews.

Watson

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #97 on: December 18, 2009, 06:36:17 AM »
Has anyone seen this?
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0071431/

Suprisingly no, but judging by the synopsis, it sounds like intelligent, talking zombies? If so, bleh.

I think it says a lot about a person when they don't enjoy (or haven't heard of) Shaun of the Dead. Easily my favorite zombie flick and one of my all-time favorite movies ever.

Still haven't seen Diary of the Dead. Let's hear some one sentence reviews.

I don't like Shaun Of The Dead. Good zombies in it, but I just can't stand that fucking fat dude in it. He literally ruins the movie for me. Me and my other zombie aficionado both agree that we could possibly like that movie, but that dreadfully unfunny fat fuck just ruins it.

Diary Of The Dead one WORD review: Balls.

grimcity

• SLAP Pal
  • computer says no
« Reply #98 on: December 18, 2009, 02:57:11 PM »
Shit- I'm in my car, in front of the same bad ass comic shop, with the other five trades in my packpack. Wife's gonna kill me.

Watson: number 11 comes out Wednesday!

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1483
  • Illusion Flip
« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 03:51:15 PM by layzieyez »

grimcity

• SLAP Pal
  • computer says no
« Reply #100 on: December 18, 2009, 04:39:04 PM »
Bump for layzie's links... be warned, once you start you'll wake up the next morning at your keyboard!

Watson

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #101 on: December 18, 2009, 05:05:56 PM »
I can't download it man. The glory of each new Walking Dead for me can only truly be done justice by holding it in my hands and reading each page twice before going on to the next, and then turning the page slowly because I want to savour the delicious anticipation.

For real.

poocrusher

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 329
« Reply #102 on: December 18, 2009, 05:08:48 PM »
I know I linked to this up top, but I feel that I should post a review for Monster Island because it embodies not only an excellent take on zombies but its a great novel as well.

"Zombies, as a rule, are more at home in film and video games than in literature. There’s no grand literary tradition stemming back hundreds of years, or even decades for that matter, as there is with vampires. The truth is, the vast majority of zombie novels are utter shit. Even among the good stuff, there’s no single great work, apart from very recent works from Max Brooks arguably, to point to as sterling examples of the form. Well, folks, in a decade or two that will change as David Wellington’s Monster Island becomes recognized for the masterpiece that it is.

Monster Island’s story revolves around two characters, Dekalb and Gary. Dekalb is a former UN weapons inspector leading a mission to retrieve a stash of priceless drugs for a Somali warlord in exchange for a place for himself and his daughter in the new world order. Gary is a rather unusual zombie – a zombie who can still think, thanks to a clever plan devised while he was still alive. The paths of these two intersect fairly early on, with devastating consequences for Gary, then split, taking a number of fascinating individual twists and turns before meeting again for a satisfying climax. The surprises on each characters path are so integral to the story and so inherently satisfying it would be a travesty to spoil any of them, but suffice it to say that both must face dire circumstances in pursuit of what they desire, circumstances that change them and their initial goals.

Both characters are exquisitely wrought and developed throughout the story. Wellington manages to make them both sympathetic, even as they do terrible things. Making a zombie sympathetic to any degree isn’t an easy task, but Wellington isn’t your average hack horror writer. Surrounding these two characters is an excellent supporting cast, on both sides, alive and dead. Not surprisingly, since most of Gary’s companions are mindless dead, the bulk of secondary characters that get attention interact with Dekalb, from the teenage soldiers accompanying him in his mission to the survivors they meet in New York City.

The cause of the zombie plague is not revealed, but it appears to be supernatural for a number of reasons (again, revealing those reasons would spoil some excellent surprises). The average zombie is very similar to the zombies of George A. Romero’s Dead series – slow, nearly mindless (due to brain damage from asphyxiation as the person dies but before the zombie rises, it is explained) and always hungry. These zombies eat anything alive though – not just people, but animals, plants, even grass. And when they do, it fills them with vitality in undeath, healing wounds and giving them strength to go on. If they don’t eat, they slowly wither away and rot like normal dead things (well, normal dead things don’t walk, but you know…).

This is one of the finest zombie stories ever told, in any medium. It’s written in a spare, deft style that manages to pack maximum impact into minimal verbiage. There’s rarely a single word wasted throughout the story, from taut action sequences to tender, human moments to mind-blowing metaphysical revelations. Wellington’s mythology is well-developed, fully compatible with the popular view of the zombie and yet strikingly original in the realm of zombie fiction – I can’t wait to see how it develops in the two sequels. His characters are believable, his settings are real and his prose is gorgeous. This is an essential book for zombie fans – don’t pass it up.
"

http://www.brokentype.com/monster/

I'm glad everyone is stoked on "The walking dead" series.

grimcity

• SLAP Pal
  • computer says no
« Reply #103 on: December 18, 2009, 10:17:31 PM »
I can't download it man. The glory of each new Walking Dead for me can only truly be done justice by holding it in my hands and reading each page twice before going on to the next, and then turning the page slowly because I want to savour the delicious anticipation.

For real.
If I weren't already a comic fanboy to some degree, I'd probably download it... but I like having print in my hand because I just really love print.

I've been devouring these things since I finished getting some work done... I'll regretfully be done by tomorrow, but I'll look into Monster Island for sure.

On intelligent zombies... there's a really really low budget movie out there somewhere that I haven't seen, but I've read all bout it... it's called Shatter Dead, and though everything about the movie's production quality, acting, and effects is on the really horrible side, the movie's supposedly has a really neat mythos of its own. 

nice weather

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 533
« Reply #104 on: December 23, 2009, 03:37:38 AM »
bump for how awesome The Walking Dead is. I was on a train for 9 hours yesterday, started watching some jersey shore first for abouit an hour, then switched to Walking Dead. Didn't do anything else for the remaining 8 hours. Fucking soooo good.

Can't wait to read more.

Locbrew

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 260
  • OWWW HAVE MERCY!
« Reply #105 on: December 23, 2009, 06:20:22 AM »
Expand Quote
I thought Savini's remake of Night of the Living Dead was good.
[close]

Touche. I own that one and I like it. But a remake sort of doesn't really count.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Goddamnit.... now I have to go track this down
[close]
Yeah, it's insane... good art, good story, rotten undead everywhere... better than Max Brook's graphic novel in the respect that there's a lot more depth to it, though Max's book was just a supplement to the Survival Guide. This is a serious must-have.
[close]

Yeah dude, Walking Dead is some of the best zombie material ever put out. Definitely better than the Recorded Attacks book. Just as good as World War Z. I read the trade paperbacks and let me tell you it's fucking torture waiting 5 months for each new one to come out. Goddamnit!

I'm sure I already posted it on here but apparently the AMC channel has picked up the rights to Walking Dead and are developing it into a series. If done right, it could be the best thing ever. Also if Brad Pitt's company doesn't butcher World War Z, there me be hope for the hopeless apocalyptic zombie future.

I also just bought this for my brother for Christmas:

It kind of just feels like a rip of Walking Dead, but the art and the story are both good enough, and at $19.95, it's probably worth it. Here's some samples I found online:

where'd you get this at? I work at a bookstore and I'm def. going to special order it when I go back to work.
Adam Dyet is the black jellybean of skateboarding.

grimcity

• SLAP Pal
  • computer says no
« Reply #106 on: December 23, 2009, 09:33:26 AM »
^
They had that at the comic shop I stopped at... the chain bookstores seem to only carry graphic novels from Marvel and DC.

Locbrew

• SLAP Pal
  • OWWW HAVE MERCY!
« Reply #107 on: December 23, 2009, 10:44:45 AM »
^
They had that at the comic shop I stopped at... the chain bookstores seem to only carry graphic novels from Marvel and DC.

Yeah, I know what your saying, I work for at a chain bookstore and its pretty hard to get the books, but I found it on its site, so I'm going to get my assistant manager to order for me, she always looks at my weird when I get zombie books from there.

Watson

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #108 on: December 23, 2009, 11:05:09 AM »
I got mine at HMV, which is a music store chain in Canada, England, Japan, and some other places but not the US. They had a big rack of all these cool books and shit that were inexpensive and good Christmas presents.

I also bought my brother's wife two LOLCats books, and a Punk Rock Activity Book for my other friend. It has all this silly stuff, like a Misfits logo paint by number, and the only number is 1 and 1 = Black. It also has a colour GG Allin page, although it didn't come with a brown crayon.

Here's a link to some pages. http://www.ayejay.com/punk-rock-activity-book/

grimcity

• SLAP Pal
  • computer says no
« Reply #109 on: December 23, 2009, 02:03:15 PM »
Watching Fido right now... why hasn't this flick gotten more attention (not in this thread, I mean in general). It's fucking dope!

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #110 on: December 23, 2009, 06:51:11 PM »
Watching Fido right now... why hasn't this flick gotten more attention (not in this thread, I mean in general). It's fucking dope!
I really don't know.  It's pretty high on my list of favorite zombie movies.

Locbrew

• SLAP Pal
  • OWWW HAVE MERCY!
« Reply #111 on: December 23, 2009, 07:16:34 PM »

I was going to watch it on my netflix tonight, but me and my roommate decided on a Clint Eastwood western.

poocrusher

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 329
« Reply #112 on: December 23, 2009, 11:21:58 PM »
My favorite non-zombie, zombie movies are

Dead Meat:  Irish Mad Cow zombie movie.

and

Black Sheep:  Had the top FX crew in the world...I'd say it has the best practical fx in any movie since Alien(s) or Maniac. 

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #113 on: December 23, 2009, 11:30:07 PM »
I watched that black sheep movie.  Pretty damned entertaining to say the least.

frisco

« Reply #114 on: December 24, 2009, 12:33:35 AM »
i havnt read any zombie literature, whether it be novels, survival guides or graphic novels, I saw world war z at a book store yesterday but passed it by, where should i start? whats the best graphic novel?

nice weather

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 533
« Reply #115 on: December 24, 2009, 02:47:45 AM »
dude, check out The Walking Dead. I started reading it a few days ago and haven't done anything else since. So fucking addicting.

Garth Marenghi

« Reply #116 on: December 24, 2009, 04:12:25 AM »
Watched Savini's Night of the Living dead and wasn't too keen on it. Tried to find a working torrent for Manchester Morgue but no luck. Guess I'll just order the dvd.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #117 on: December 24, 2009, 06:01:29 AM »
http://hotfile.com/dl/20536298/b94d005/The_Zombie_Survival_Guide.pdf.html
Oh, look at that.  In PDF form no less.
Link is still up if you missed it the first time.

grimcity

• SLAP Pal
  • computer says no
« Reply #118 on: December 24, 2009, 06:20:44 AM »
i havnt read any zombie literature, whether it be novels, survival guides or graphic novels, I saw world war z at a book store yesterday but passed it by, where should i start? whats the best graphic novel?
Before reading WWZ, I'd pick up Zombie Survival Guide first... it's a good introduction into Brooks' angle on zombies... plus the end of the book has a few narratives of "recorded attacks" from ancient and more modern times... it's a really good primer, and after reading both the Guide and Z, you'll find yourself comparing everything to it. I went through both books in four days and reread parts of them every once in a while... wait till you read about The Battle of Yonkers. Fuuuuuuuu

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2547
« Reply #119 on: December 25, 2009, 12:59:17 AM »
My girl got me this for Christmas, it ought to be a fun read.
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud