Author Topic: Things you are not stoked on  (Read 473882 times)

Beans.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 0
  • The Real Beans
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Things you are not stoked on
« Reply #1530 on: October 03, 2006, 11:26:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Expand Quote
The origins of marriage
The institution of marriage is now the subject of a bitter national debate. How did marriage begin—and why?
4/2/2004

How old is the institution?
The best available evidence suggests that it’s about 4,350 years old. For thousands of years before that, most anthropologists believe, families consisted of loosely organized groups of as many as 30 people, with several male leaders, multiple women shared by them, and children. As hunter-gatherers settled down into agrarian civilizations, society had a need for more stable arrangements. The first recorded evidence of marriage ceremonies uniting one woman and one man dates from about 2350 B.C., in Mesopotamia. Over the next several hundred years, marriage evolved into a widespread institution embraced by the ancient Hebrews, Greeks, and Romans. But back then, marriage had little to do with love or with religion.

What was it about, then?
Marriage’s primary purpose was to bind women to men, and thus guarantee that a man’s children were truly his biological heirs. Through marriage, a woman became a man’s property. In the betrothal ceremony of ancient Greece, a father would hand over his daughter with these words: “I pledge my daughter for the purpose of producing legitimate offspring.” Among the ancient Hebrews, men were free to take several wives; married Greeks and Romans were free to satisfy their sexual urges with concubines, prostitutes, and even teenage male lovers, while their wives were required to stay home and tend to the household. If wives failed to produce offspring, their husbands could give them back and marry someone else.
[close]
[close]

This debate has nothing to do with the "sanctity of marriage" and you know it. If this is all about keeping marriage like it was in the good old days then I'm sure your all for ditching infertile spouses or a bit of 16 year old asshole on the side then? Why should this outdated definition have to stay the same when our society and our values have changed so drastically, e.g the ownership aspect of union? It's clear that the opposition on this issue comes from a purely religious standpoint, that homosexuality is an affront against god etc. I think seperation of church and state is a pretty easy to grasp concept.

And seriously, can you please tell me how the substantial evidence for election fraud constitutes liberals "making excuses?"
[close]
My point is that people are trying to hi-jack someone elses tradition and change it to how they think it should. what gives you or anyone that right?
Should christians be able to hi-jack ramadan and change it to their liking? no, of course not. nothing gives them that right.
Just like left wingers dont have the right to hi-jack marriage and change it to their liking.
[close]

Do you see it as a christian tradition?
did you bother reading my post"
The first recorded evidence of marriage ceremonies uniting one woman and one man dates from about 2350 B.C., in Mesopotamia. Over the next several hundred years, marriage evolved into a widespread institution embraced by the ancient Hebrews, Greeks, and Romans. But back then, marriage had little to do with love or with religion.

E.l.G

« Reply #1531 on: October 03, 2006, 11:40:45 PM »
That's why I was confused. Ok so you're saying that the messopotamian originators of the ritual or their ancestors have some sort of right to decide the way it's conducted more than 4000 years later? My point is that we've already adapted it to meet our societal needs and standards, in the process getting rid of many of the original tenets of the institution and thoroughly assimilating it into our own traditions. I don't see any basis for your objection except on purely thelogical grounds. Who would you say is the "someone else" who would currently claim ownership over this tradition anyway?

Beans.

• The Real Beans
« Reply #1532 on: October 04, 2006, 12:26:11 AM »
That's why I was confused. Ok so you're saying that the messopotamian originators of the ritual or their ancestors have some sort of right to decide the way it's conducted more than 4000 years later?
But my point is: what gives you and others like you the right to change it?

are the original people who were involved in the first marriage around today to decide how its conducted? No... but that doesnt mean you or anyone else has the right to decide either.

Like I said above, do christians have the right to decide how people should celebrate ramadan? no... they dont...
and we can use your logic here to...
do the original founders of ramadan have the right to decide how ramadan is conducted? No, since they no longer laive.... but no one else has the right to change it either

Meth and Hookers

• Rep: 12
  • caveman?
« Reply #1533 on: October 04, 2006, 12:29:57 AM »
i'm riveted
nearly every time I see a possum it's in dead form.

fumblebag

• Rep: -2
  • Gesundheit
« Reply #1534 on: October 04, 2006, 12:42:39 AM »
You are?  I think this is boring and it sucks.  Maybe that's my contribution to "things I am not stoked on."

I like your avatar, though.
p.s. i do that in the bath sometimes. its fun to do it when you have a woody allen. when you open your legs up, your stick goes straight up, as if it wants to go to heaven.  - quote from guess who.

fuckingvegan

« Reply #1535 on: October 04, 2006, 07:07:44 AM »
Beans do a google search, as I already said there where at least two different non biases reports that show that Gore won Flordia. The truth is out there you just have to look for it.

eg gnar

« Reply #1536 on: October 04, 2006, 07:20:40 AM »
Expand Quote
That's why I was confused. Ok so you're saying that the messopotamian originators of the ritual or their ancestors have some sort of right to decide the way it's conducted more than 4000 years later?
[close]
But my point is: what gives you and others like you the right to change it?
The argument that nobody has the right to change it is a pretty weak, as is the Ramadan comparison you made.  How is that valid at all besides to protect some sort of sanctity that the tradition has?  Allowing gays to marry harms nobody, and I'd say that if anybody has the right to change a tradition it would be the people practicing it and being affected by it today. 
Your "Ramadan" argument is contradictory, because while you cite information stating that in those days marriage was not much of a religious affair, you also use a religious ceremony as a basis for comparison.  The two are different, sure Christians have no right to change Ramadan, but that has no bearing on gay marriage whatsoever.
what would Muska do?

fuckingvegan

« Reply #1537 on: October 04, 2006, 08:28:56 AM »

fuckingvegan

« Reply #1538 on: October 04, 2006, 08:31:32 AM »
And who says being married should have anything to do with religion, does that mean that my wife and I are not married because we are not religious? And isn’t it funny how the states with the most republicans also have the highest divorce rates, and almost every one of the republicans in office who support a ban on gay marriage have had at least one divorce and in some cases three. Maybe they should fix their own marriages before they go around and tell people they can’t be married. Fucking bunch of hypochristians.

jared...

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -18
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1539 on: October 04, 2006, 08:59:02 AM »
I think gay marriage should be legal.  this world we live in is far too corrupt for any one person to point a finger an someone else and say they're wrong.  everyone is casting stones.  The way our world has come together, you can't really intertwine hundreds of religions, contradicting opinions, and expect things to run smoothly.  people should practice not caring so much...even though they'll one day lose someone they love and grow bitter because the world actually hit them.  My problem is none of these issues really effect me.  I've got this unrealistic perspective on things, where in reality, we've got greedy animals runnint the country, making our laws, circulating the American product...Maybe that's what I loved about "the Ballad of Jack and Rose" so much...just the idea that they were straying from society in a way that I'd been thinking about for months...thats how things were supposed to be.  living to enjoy life, to witness it, nourish it...living off the land, giving back to the land...and now we have the suburbs, the urban cities, the prefabricated pollution units, ready for families immediately! we're all fucked up.  i don't know.
女の子は女の子とセックスすると、「lezzing out」です。 例えば、トニコクスホクスと友&

steve urkel

« Reply #1540 on: October 04, 2006, 09:10:11 AM »
yall need to drop da IQ

jared...

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1541 on: October 04, 2006, 03:22:54 PM »
yall need to drop da IQ

don't know why I quoted you.  perhaps a bad habit. 

-not very stoked on school right now.  I need to drop this college nonsense and go to an art school...not really the academic (sp?) kind...can't stand fucking math and science.  anyone else go to an art school?  my friend goes to Kansas City Arts Institute.  He loves it.  thinking about taking a tour.

woody

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 42
« Reply #1542 on: October 04, 2006, 03:25:47 PM »
I go to a "normal" university but I'm majoring in art. I have to take non-art GE classes but I like it that way because I want to take non-art classes as well and I can pretty much avoid taking math and science classes if I want.
let me just name a few of the hammers in this video...

jared...

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1543 on: October 04, 2006, 03:33:58 PM »
I'm at a community college where basics are required for an associates in arts.  I'm majoring in art as well, but don't know how I feel about school...my friends have encouraged me to get into writing or photojournalism, since I enjoy anything relating to it, but I don't see myself doing that.  pointless post.  Post some art?  I might post some of my new stuff pretty soon.

Beans.

• The Real Beans
« Reply #1544 on: October 04, 2006, 03:49:49 PM »
Beans

http://archive.democrats.com/view.cfm?id=2793
should I really take a report from "democrats.com" seriously?
If I linked you to a report from www.rightwingrepublicansunite.com would you take it seriously?

I havent read it yet, and I will in a minute, but I have a hard time believe that www.democrats.com could possible have an objective opinion

fuckingvegan

« Reply #1545 on: October 04, 2006, 04:03:33 PM »
Beans I posted it because it not only tells the story of how the Miami newspaper tried to cover the story it also gives many links backing up their claims, it is well researched and worth reading.
Or are you scared you might learn something?

Beans.

• The Real Beans
« Reply #1546 on: October 04, 2006, 05:33:25 PM »
No, not at all. I will read it... but like I said...

If I posted a story from www.rightwingrepublican.com would you take it seriously? honestly

bert

« Reply #1547 on: October 05, 2006, 02:03:52 PM »
realizing i'm the only "real" skater left in my town.

steve urkel

« Reply #1548 on: October 05, 2006, 07:12:36 PM »

and on diss massage broad

cold budweisers

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 615
« Reply #1549 on: October 05, 2006, 08:34:41 PM »
my soul

fuckingvegan

« Reply #1550 on: October 06, 2006, 06:39:30 AM »
No, not at all. I will read it... but like I said...

If I posted a story from www.rightwingrepublican.com would you take it seriously? honestly

http://www.usccr.gov/pubs/vote2000/report/intro.htm

jared...

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1551 on: October 06, 2006, 02:16:11 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

and on diss massage broad

please use real words.  Don't care if you spell them right, but it's nice when my brain can recognize what you're trying to say.  like how you spelled "broad."  very metropolitan.

Mizzork

« Reply #1552 on: October 06, 2006, 10:27:14 PM »
I haven't skated at all since I arrived in SF.  Also, seeing all the spots I've seen in videos capped, knobbed, and ruined.  Union square looks like any stripmall usa.

E.l.G

« Reply #1553 on: October 06, 2006, 11:11:45 PM »
I have this weird hurty bump right on the bottom of my big toe. I think it's a wart.

mikefork

« Reply #1554 on: October 06, 2006, 11:47:41 PM »
finding out my friends house i slept over the other night was built on an acient native american burial ground. he told me all these fucked up things that have happened and that he, his brother, and father have dreamnt. i told him on the spot to go fuck himself for not telling me this before hand and that i was never going by there again in my life

Meth and Hookers

• Rep: 12
  • caveman?
« Reply #1555 on: October 06, 2006, 11:59:59 PM »
weird ass rash all over my arms. stings like sunburn
nearly every time I see a possum it's in dead form.

loophole

« Reply #1556 on: October 07, 2006, 12:49:10 AM »
it floods here twice a day, and its full moon today.

fumblebag

• Rep: -2
  • Gesundheit
« Reply #1557 on: October 07, 2006, 02:23:17 AM »
Union square looks like any stripmall usa.

Except for the fact that it contains stores that just so happen to sell pairs of shoes that cost as much as a strip mall.

Ferragamo, anyone? 
p.s. i do that in the bath sometimes. its fun to do it when you have a woody allen. when you open your legs up, your stick goes straight up, as if it wants to go to heaven.  - quote from guess who.

biggums mcgee

« Reply #1558 on: October 07, 2006, 05:45:34 AM »
contacts

I'm probably going to have to skate 6 miles to town today in sub-40 degree weather. not to mention that I have a lung infection and got crazy asthma last night from skating for about three minutes. I'm looking foward to this

nice weather

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 533
« Reply #1559 on: October 07, 2006, 09:38:54 AM »
take a cab?