Author Topic: Jobs  (Read 141638 times)

Crailslideyoface

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 37
Re: Jobs
« Reply #1020 on: November 26, 2022, 05:31:53 PM »
Autoworker. It's not fun and my body always hurts now
Getting cucked by your hero on acid is TIGHT.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1118
« Reply #1021 on: November 26, 2022, 09:24:12 PM »
Autoworker. It's not fun and my body always hurts now

Respect. My father worked the assembly line at Chrysler.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Carrolls Chesthairs

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 117
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1022 on: November 27, 2022, 06:05:48 AM »
halfway through my master's in Cyber Security.

Where my CS heads at?
I'm interested in working with AI down the road.

Huell Howser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 248
« Reply #1023 on: November 27, 2022, 06:36:48 AM »
 @Carrolls Chesthairs nice, cyber security seems interesting. more important now than ever so probably an abundance of jobs.

no traditional cs degree but I work in development

L33Tg33k

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 701
  • F.A.P. - Forever Alone Party
« Reply #1024 on: November 27, 2022, 06:28:14 PM »
Public service announcement: If anyone out there is looking for a job, the post office is hiring thousands of people right now.
Before you say the music sucked, have you considered shutting the fuck up?

igrindtwinkies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 367
« Reply #1025 on: November 27, 2022, 07:46:55 PM »

Where my CS heads at?

I deal with Firewall policies, facility access, man-traps, etc at my current job.  IT is such a broad field, that it's hard to pick a direction to go.  I'm basically just learning whatever interests me atm.  Right now, I'm learning Python which just happens to be the main language for AI.

I got bored of reviewing CCNA material.  Need to finish that up and get the cert this winter.  It's just such a boring slog to get through when I already know the important shit.  Memorizing the default bridge priority number on spanning tree protocol, or the speeds and lengths for obsolete ethernet standards, ugh.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2022, 08:08:00 PM by igrindtwinkies »

TastyBurrito

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 538
« Reply #1026 on: November 28, 2022, 01:11:16 PM »
I'm in advertising (ACD/CW) and have been a part of the Q4 tech layoffs of 2022.

Anyone else here in advertising? Agency or in-house.

The freelance market is okay at best.

Hopefully, things pick up in January.

JoseCansnake0

• Rep: -37
« Reply #1027 on: November 28, 2022, 01:50:27 PM »
Currently stay at home dad, work part time at a private golf course in season (MN)

Previously in the kitchen for 20 years, and food sales for 9 years.

Tic-Tac God

• Rep: 5
« Reply #1028 on: November 29, 2022, 05:58:14 AM »
Work (from home) with film location departments all over the US, but mostly in LA, Bay Area and Atlanta.
Prior: Was in film production for appx 15 years. Started as a production assistant and worked my way up to union location scout/manager. Mostly commercials, but a few movies and a little TV.

BallparkFrank

• Rep: 11
« Reply #1029 on: November 29, 2022, 07:33:19 AM »
“Working” from home right now. Doin it for the data.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1030 on: November 29, 2022, 09:22:25 AM »

Where my CS heads at?

I stumbled ass-first into cybersecurity and I couldn't be happier or feel more lucky. Demand in the field is growing four-times faster than average employment growth, and outpacing most other tech fields. In addition to that, it is a field which is not easily outsourced to Indian subcontractors. If you're a slightly capable keyboard warrior and you've been considering it, now is the time to make the move. I can definitively say it's been the best thing to happen to be career-wise in my life and I will ride this train until I'm wealthy enough to retire.

apport

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
« Reply #1031 on: November 29, 2022, 04:10:51 PM »
Expand Quote

Where my CS heads at?
[close]

I stumbled ass-first into cybersecurity and I couldn't be happier or feel more lucky. Demand in the field is growing four-times faster than average employment growth, and outpacing most other tech fields. In addition to that, it is a field which is not easily outsourced to Indian subcontractors. If you're a slightly capable keyboard warrior and you've been considering it, now is the time to make the move. I can definitively say it's been the best thing to happen to be career-wise in my life and I will ride this train until I'm wealthy enough to retire.
the thought of trying to study more IT shit kinda makes me want to vomit, but i’ve resigned to the fact i’m stuck in this field. what’s the best path in cyber security for an absolute dumbass like myself?
all the posts you have gloating about how much money you make has me intrigued.

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -617
« Reply #1032 on: November 29, 2022, 04:28:46 PM »
Mostly do stonemasonry but i feel like it's not a recession proof trade. i do other masonry-related things too like blockwork and concrete and i'm thinking of trying to pick up a job with a bigger concrete company because concrete seems like a recession proof trade
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

FranklinSt4Ever

« Reply #1033 on: November 29, 2022, 08:40:55 PM »
Lawyer at a "BIGLAW" law firm. I work a lot, way too much. I'm able to buy any skate gear I want, but I don't get to skate as often as I did when working for a state agency so I just have multiple boards in plastic wrap under my bed that I haven't set up yet. Just got offered a promotion for a "partner track" position but will have to move cities early next year.

At the end of the day, I look at computer screens a lot and travel to client meetings and draft documents to help local governments issue debt for public infrastructure, so it's a net good. If I'm honest, I miss the days in my 20s when me and the homies would light up spots or go on a day trip to skate a new concrete park.

sionarancsle

« Reply #1034 on: November 30, 2022, 05:33:11 AM »
part time fullstack developer while pursing my masters in applied comp. sci.

"working from home" meaning skating at the local most of the time as i'm done with the week's tasks on monday :)

(this is Casey Foley doing his thing in Adelaide)

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1035 on: November 30, 2022, 07:32:16 AM »

"working from home" meaning skating at the local most of the time as i'm done with the week's tasks on monday :)

How sustainable do you think that is? I mean no offense but if the economy keeps going the way it is I don't see companies being too eager to hire guys who get paid a full time salary for one day of work a week. I envy you guys but at the same time I feel like some time soon it'll all fall apart

adumb

• Rep: -5
« Reply #1036 on: November 30, 2022, 08:19:13 AM »
Manage a snowboard shop in a mountain town. And I DJ 3 nights a week. So basically I yell at tourists and drunk kids all day every day.

sionarancsle

« Reply #1037 on: December 01, 2022, 08:02:34 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

How sustainable do you think that is? I mean no offense but if the economy keeps going the way it is I don't see companies being too eager to hire guys who get paid a full time salary for one day of work a week. I envy you guys but at the same time I feel like some time soon it'll all fall apart

I mean I don't really care atm. I just want to finish my masters, and the job is easy so why not do it on the side, plus my family cannot support me financially so I'm on my own. After my masters I'll look for a full-time hardcore job and grind a few years to buy a flat and move in with my gf. Tech is certainly a bubble but already having multiple years of experience (don't matter if part time) + a masters I shouldn't have too many problems finding a good job.

I've given myself hard enough times already and had imposter syndrome but I've realized, why on earth should I care, if they pay me for it and I do the thing its all good. I just don't care if my work is creating something useful for the people, I really don't. Funny thing is I get praised and thanked a lot at the company, I can do a task in half a day which takes other developers a better part of a week.

This is in eastern EU by the way.

(this is Casey Foley doing his thing in Adelaide)

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1038 on: December 01, 2022, 10:14:34 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I mean I don't really care atm. I just want to finish my masters, and the job is easy so why not do it on the side, plus my family cannot support me financially so I'm on my own. After my masters I'll look for a full-time hardcore job and grind a few years to buy a flat and move in with my gf. Tech is certainly a bubble but already having multiple years of experience (don't matter if part time) + a masters I shouldn't have too many problems finding a good job.

I've given myself hard enough times already and had imposter syndrome but I've realized, why on earth should I care, if they pay me for it and I do the thing its all good. I just don't care if my work is creating something useful for the people, I really don't. Funny thing is I get praised and thanked a lot at the company, I can do a task in half a day which takes other developers a better part of a week.

This is in eastern EU by the way.

Fair enough, i didn't realise the job wasn't a serious one. I know people who have the same situation as you yet that job is their livelihood and if they lost it they'd be fucked... but they still just milk it working as little as possible and not thinking about the future. not that you should work yourself to death for some company or anything either though.

CrumblingInfrastructure

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 289
« Reply #1039 on: December 02, 2022, 05:32:19 PM »
Expand Quote

Where my CS heads at?
[close]

Im finishing up my Net+ this month then doing Sec+ probably in the spring but I highly doubt that will get me anywhere close to a cybersecurity job. Maybe a low paying SOC or something. I always hear theyre looking for more people and all that but its like everyone is under qualified and every position wants 2+ years of experience even though theres no where to get that experience.

Candied cigarettes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 231
« Reply #1040 on: December 02, 2022, 08:26:53 PM »
Any facilitators or mediators in here? I work for an environmental facilitation firm, so we work for environmental agencies in wa, basically doing facilitation and mediation for different natural resource focused work groups. Feels good cause the work is good and i make good money but it has its ups and downs of course

Dad_Brains

• Rep: 13
« Reply #1041 on: December 02, 2022, 10:12:17 PM »
Manage a snowboard shop in a mountain town. And I DJ 3 nights a week. So basically I yell at tourists and drunk kids all day every day.

Which town/shop?

acidcat

• Rep: 0
« Reply #1042 on: December 04, 2022, 09:14:27 PM »
I own a record store in Melbourne

DISTANT RUMOURS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 394
« Reply #1043 on: December 05, 2022, 12:07:48 AM »

ok boomer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1027
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #1044 on: December 07, 2022, 12:43:56 PM »
I'm an "office manager". So I make sure everything is flowing good for the business, while still having my micro managing hand involved in pricing, invoicing, errors, payments etc.
I also still oversee shipping, receiving and inventory because I seem to be the only one that gets it here at this place.

Prior to this:
1991-1996: I worked in shipping/ receiving (place was small, pallet jack stuff, no forklift so no forklift certified)
1997: I painted condos in a fancy area
1998-2008: Ran my own landscaping and it was awesome. Usually worked 9 months a year but I tried to work 7 days a week to save us as much cash for winter. In winter I was a handyman for older folks in my area which was just extra cash. Winter just "toked on some reefer" and skated. Good times
2009-2010: shipping at a brewery (forklift certified)
2011-2013: inventory controller at brewery (still forklift certified)
2013-2015: shipping manager (you know i was forklift certified)
2016-2017: shipping/receiving/inventory manager (with forklift certification fo sho)
2017-current: office manager (but still am forklift certified cuz thats how I roll)

I had a job in 1993 at an arts and crafts place for like 2 months but it sucked and I quit

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1045 on: December 07, 2022, 02:50:32 PM »
I'm an "office manager". So I make sure everything is flowing good for the business, while still having my micro managing hand involved in pricing, invoicing, errors, payments etc.
I also still oversee shipping, receiving and inventory because I seem to be the only one that gets it here at this place.

Prior to this:
1991-1996: I worked in shipping/ receiving (place was small, pallet jack stuff, no forklift so no forklift certified)
1997: I painted condos in a fancy area
1998-2008: Ran my own landscaping and it was awesome. Usually worked 9 months a year but I tried to work 7 days a week to save us as much cash for winter. In winter I was a handyman for older folks in my area which was just extra cash. Winter just "toked on some reefer" and skated. Good times
2009-2010: shipping at a brewery (forklift certified)
2011-2013: inventory controller at brewery (still forklift certified)
2013-2015: shipping manager (you know i was forklift certified)
2016-2017: shipping/receiving/inventory manager (with forklift certification fo sho)
2017-current: office manager (but still am forklift certified cuz thats how I roll)

I had a job in 1993 at an arts and crafts place for like 2 months but it sucked and I quit

Gnarred for being a fellow certified fork lift operator.

BallparkFrank

• Rep: 11
« Reply #1046 on: December 09, 2022, 05:32:00 AM »
What do you do when you accept a new job and immediately know you hate it/want to quit?

Tight Pants Big Wheels

• Rep: -8
« Reply #1047 on: December 12, 2022, 06:17:32 PM »
What do you do when you accept a new job and immediately know you hate it/want to quit?

As in accepted the job but haven't started yet?

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 494
« Reply #1048 on: January 11, 2023, 06:27:14 PM »
Body shop slug here. Mainly collision work now but I get stuck with the older stuff that comes in. POS I did years ago.

BackToTheDIY

• Rep: 8
« Reply #1049 on: January 18, 2023, 02:30:21 PM »
Concrete dude here.
Mostly residential stuff, it’s ok.
Working with a small crew of skaters and rockers, all friends long before work, and boss man is owner of a local skateshop and former pro and a prolific character ha.

Used to build skateparks and travel full time for some years, eased back on that for now , still happy to pick a few up here and there when im tired of being home which im grateful for.

Doing some side job welding and fabricating , making cool shit in my basement workshop