Author Topic: Jobs  (Read 142781 times)

William Jefferson Clinton

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -228
Re: Jobs
« Reply #210 on: March 07, 2011, 08:15:18 PM »
Worked at this skate shop called The Garage for a month, but the dude ha a kid so he moved. Now I work at Cheezies Pizza but fixing to get fired.

Belligerent Irish Cop

• Rep: -276
« Reply #211 on: March 07, 2011, 08:29:44 PM »
got set up for the summer wit a job today. pretty happy about that.

DMH

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 88
« Reply #212 on: March 07, 2011, 09:04:50 PM »
Worked at this skate shop called The Garage for a month, but the dude ha a kid so he moved. Now I work at Cheezies Pizza but fixing to get fired.

How do you get fired from a pizza place that sells large one-toppings for $4.99?

William Jefferson Clinton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -228
« Reply #213 on: March 07, 2011, 09:13:23 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

How do you get fired from a pizza place that sells large one-toppings for $4.99?
I dont get alot of hours there, I have night school ti 6 everyday so I cant work sometimes when they need me.

the ragamuffin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 49
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #214 on: March 08, 2011, 06:12:30 AM »
Anybody have experience working graveyard shifts? I'm about to apply for this job with the title "Power Scheduler." Its a 7pm to 7am shift, which I know would intrinsically suck, but 12 hour shifts means I'd only work 3-4 day weeks, probably trading off weekends with someone else. Besides the fact that the company does cool shit (they produce electricity from landfills), it starts at $17.50 an hour with benefits.

Does anyone work crazy hours like this? Would it completely fuck with my social life?

CaptainMorganFreeman

• Rep: 46
    • proskates.com avatar image
« Reply #215 on: March 08, 2011, 06:38:57 AM »
Anybody have experience working graveyard shifts? I'm about to apply for this job with the title "Power Scheduler." Its a 7pm to 7am shift, which I know would intrinsically suck, but 12 hour shifts means I'd only work 3-4 day weeks, probably trading off weekends with someone else. Besides the fact that the company does cool shit (they produce electricity from landfills), it starts at $17.50 an hour with benefits.

Does anyone work crazy hours like this? Would it completely fuck with my social life?

I did backshift for 9 months - got a job making around $18 an hour and then aquired a financed car so I couldn't afford to quit... 12 AM - 8 AM. Ended up needing sleeping pills and therapy so I wouldn't advise it to anyone, it almost ended me. I know a few dudes that have done it for 3 or 4 years now and it definitely takes a heavy toll. The only dudes that do "ok" on it are the ones that have no social life or prospects of doing anything other than working and playing WOW. The switching back and forth and broken sleep schedule that is required to try to have any kind of life takes a heavy toll on your circadian rhythm and can lead to anxiety, depression, insomnia, delusional thoughts, and in some cases suicide, especially if you keep switching it constantly to try to have a life or do anything fun with your friends/family. Forget going skating when you get up or when you get off work too, its basically impossible to skate the way you did before because of the constant mental and physical fatigue you'll be going through. Darkest period of my life easily, aside from a 2 week trip to Barcelona that quite possibly saved my life.

CaptainMorganFreeman

• Rep: 46
    • proskates.com avatar image
« Reply #216 on: March 08, 2011, 06:40:00 AM »
^^must add that initially I didn't get hired on as backshift, the recruiter lied to me and said there was no chance it would happen to me.^^ got put on backshift 2 or 3 months after starting.

Diogenes

• Rep: 10
« Reply #217 on: March 08, 2011, 07:18:14 AM »
^^must add that initially I didn't get hired on as backshift, the recruiter lied to me and said there was no chance it would happen to me.^^ got put on backshift 2 or 3 months after starting.

What were you working as?

I want a hard job, with long hours and good pay.
I need to save some money.
I have nothing to ask but that you would remove to the other side, that you may not, by intercepting the sunshine, take from me what you cannot give?

-Diogenes 412 BC-323 BC

Upon being told by Alexander The Great if there were anything in the world he wished for, he could have it.

Belligerent Irish Cop

« Reply #218 on: March 08, 2011, 07:27:53 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I did backshift for 9 months - got a job making around $18 an hour and then aquired a financed car so I couldn't afford to quit... 12 AM - 8 AM. Ended up needing sleeping pills and therapy so I wouldn't advise it to anyone, it almost ended me. I know a few dudes that have done it for 3 or 4 years now and it definitely takes a heavy toll. The only dudes that do "ok" on it are the ones that have no social life or prospects of doing anything other than working and playing WOW. The switching back and forth and broken sleep schedule that is required to try to have any kind of life takes a heavy toll on your circadian rhythm and can lead to anxiety, depression, insomnia, delusional thoughts, and in some cases suicide, especially if you keep switching it constantly to try to have a life or do anything fun with your friends/family. Forget going skating when you get up or when you get off work too, its basically impossible to skate the way you did before because of the constant mental and physical fatigue you'll be going through. Darkest period of my life easily, aside from a 2 week trip to Barcelona that quite possibly saved my life.

Damn you sound like the biggest bitch ever. Plenty of dudes do overnight (ever heard of the HEALTHCARE INDUSTRY?) and they actually went to school and have put years into learning to do what they do. You sound like some peice of shit who was lucky enough to land a decent job and then all you did was complain about it. Spoiled only child? I think so. I really wish you had kept doing your job and then head an insomnia fueled mental break down ala Edward Norton but instead of starting an awesome terrorist organization you'd have just gotten into a violent struggle with the coke machine which would have ended with you crushed to death and no one caring.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 07:29:24 AM by Belligerent Irish Cop »

EXTRA SPICY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 327
  • Low Scovilles
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #219 on: March 08, 2011, 09:39:06 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

]Does anyone work crazy hours like this? Would it completely fuck with my social life?
[close]

[close]

Damn you sound like the biggest bitch ever. Plenty of dudes do overnight (ever heard of the HEALTHCARE INDUSTRY?) and they actually went to school and have put years into learning to do what they do. You sound like some peice of shit who was lucky enough to land a decent job and then all you did was complain about it. Spoiled only child? I think so. I really wish you had kept doing your job and then head an insomnia fueled mental break down ala Edward Norton but instead of starting an awesome terrorist organization you'd have just gotten into a violent struggle with the coke machine which would have ended with you crushed to death and no one caring.

boring posts are boring.
mad yawns bro.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 09:47:20 AM by Pabst »
We need Malto to release the pic of Biebel drunk in an elevator with his wiener hanging out.

Latarian Milton

• Rep: 34
« Reply #220 on: March 08, 2011, 10:14:27 AM »
I work at a skate shop with another well known Slap Pal that posts on here frequently. I love it, I will be bummed the day I will have to go get a career.

I'm 22 if that matters

dolphinstyle.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 114
« Reply #221 on: March 08, 2011, 10:24:27 AM »
I'm currently doing an internship in the communication/PR department of a huge, huge corporation and I hate it
Look, I'm an individual within us, partaking in this business

cheep

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 103
« Reply #222 on: March 08, 2011, 11:52:10 AM »
im a surveyor for a construction company that builds bridges and highways.
http://cheepshit.tumblr.com/
the worst in jacksonville skateboarding

jay

• Rep: -80
« Reply #223 on: March 08, 2011, 01:43:25 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

But seriously, I know quite a few guys who work or have worked in a factory doing that shit, switching between day shifts and night shifts every couple of weeks or so.  None of them necessarily enjoyed their jobs, but it was a stable way to make ok money for 40 hours a week.  You get weekends off so you can certainly have a social life if you want, you sound like you probably had mental issues before you took that job.    

poopmonkey

• Rep: 20
« Reply #224 on: March 08, 2011, 01:56:10 PM »
i'm studying interactive media, hopefully i'll get to work at a magazine, or behind the scenes at a television programme, or maybe do concept development for advertisements or whetever. currently working at a hospital, delivering food and stuff to the patients, doing easy chores to help the nurses out. get about 10 euros an hour, and like 17 on sundays! Short shifts though, usually work around 10 hours a week.

Bobcrackerlacker

• Rep: 1
« Reply #225 on: March 08, 2011, 01:57:22 PM »
Just got a job working in Union City through the IRS. Mail room baby!

DevilOnEnzyte

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -236
« Reply #226 on: March 08, 2011, 02:08:11 PM »
I work for an Import vehicle performance shop called Gorill Race Engineering.
We do complete engine builds, turbo installations, suspension installs and adjustments, custom roll cages, custom exhausts, full race car builds, and Dyno tuning & ECU installs.
Pretty great job doing what I love to do, and the moneys amazing.
We work on a wide range of Japanese & European imports.
I get to see Devil semi regularly and his little dude is rad as hell. My wife and I aren't into having little ones, but that'll give me more time to be a god uncle and teach Devil's spawn to slang weed.

BallDontLie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 678
« Reply #227 on: March 08, 2011, 03:17:00 PM »

Awesome. I am interested in this. Seems like good money for fairly easy work, just not sure if you have to be good at math or whatever.

I've posted here before, but I weld/welder helper. I suggest getting into it at least for a few months. Not sure it's something I want to do for the rest of my life considering your vision starts deteriorating.
if the mods were wu-tang, dean would be cappadonna

ice nine

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -308
« Reply #228 on: March 08, 2011, 03:33:46 PM »
U should make a pipe and then pipe the fuck down

How does one.get into surveying?
I;m sure i;m not the only dc/monster/subaru type guy here

jack burton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
« Reply #229 on: March 08, 2011, 03:44:59 PM »
I work as a line cook for a cafe that some how does a lot of business. Its slow in the winter though so I might get some hours at a fine dining restaurant were affiliated. Not sure I want to do that since I really have no experience. Either way I hate my job and want a new one.

Hexagon

« Reply #230 on: March 08, 2011, 03:49:58 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

shut your gob fuckface. quit spewing shit YOU HAVE no clue about... you go get a job doing fucking swing shifts for 10 - 12 hrs (40 hrs plus mandatory overtime of 10-20 hrs) then you can have an opinion. i've done the shit, and this dude is right on with the broken sleep cycle turned mental illness. combined with no social life and the realization you only work so some other asshole can go home to his big house and easy life, while you get shit in return for the hard work. go back to 4chode and troll little shitwads like yourself.

anyway...

i'm moving so i quit my job to chill and get my mind right for a month. going back to school and be doing temp work once it all happens.

Belligerent Irish Cop

« Reply #231 on: March 08, 2011, 03:50:41 PM »
Damn reading through this thread, some of you have some depressing lives.

BallDontLie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 678
« Reply #232 on: March 08, 2011, 03:54:04 PM »
U should make a pipe and then pipe the fuck down

How does one.get into surveying?

this is an A, B conversation so C your way out of it penguindicks. jk you pitchfork slave
if the mods were wu-tang, dean would be cappadonna

Diogenes

« Reply #233 on: March 08, 2011, 03:59:33 PM »

I'm of the belief that if everyone likes you its a sign of mediocrity,
on the other hand, when the majority of people hate you its a sure sign of your cuntish-ness.

I have nothing to ask but that you would remove to the other side, that you may not, by intercepting the sunshine, take from me what you cannot give?

-Diogenes 412 BC-323 BC

Upon being told by Alexander The Great if there were anything in the world he wished for, he could have it.

EXTRA SPICY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 327
  • Low Scovilles
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #234 on: March 08, 2011, 06:01:03 PM »

yaaaaawn.
boring, boring, boring.
you've lost your touch dude.

mad yawns all day long on your posts bro.
We need Malto to release the pic of Biebel drunk in an elevator with his wiener hanging out.

Belligerent Irish Cop

« Reply #235 on: March 08, 2011, 06:11:36 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

shut your gob fuckface. quit spewing shit YOU HAVE no clue about... you go get a job doing fucking swing shifts for 10 - 12 hrs (40 hrs plus mandatory overtime of 10-20 hrs) then you can have an opinion. i've done the shit, and this dude is right on with the broken sleep cycle turned mental illness. combined with no social life and the realization you only work so some other asshole can go home to his big house and easy life, while you get shit in return for the hard work. go back to 4chode and troll little shitwads like yourself.

anyway...

i'm moving so i quit my job to chill and get my mind right for a month. going back to school and be doing temp work once it all happens.

HAHAHA. Typical fucking crybaby loser. That dude gets to go home early and get weekends off because he worked hard and earned a place in the company. Difference between him and you is that guy is important to the company, you're just another replaceable piece of shit.

See, that guy went to school and actually learned some fucking skills, while you were jerking off and hanging out in the food court at the mall on a daily basis. Now he can do a job you can't, so he gets the reap the rewards of his work, while you slave away being only a step above the fucking janitor. You and the janitor are in the same boat - you fucked up and didn't do shit with your life.

Notice how even on SLAP the best posters all have real jobs and are educated? If you sit around like a loser expect to be treated like shit. You're just another peon.

Hexagon

« Reply #236 on: March 09, 2011, 05:14:30 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

anyway...

[close]

HAHAHA. Typical fucking crybaby loser. That dude gets to go home early and get weekends off because he worked hard and earned a place in the company. Difference between him and you is that guy is important to the company, you're just another replaceable piece of shit.

See, that guy went to school and actually learned some fucking skills, while you were jerking off and hanging out in the food court at the mall on a daily basis. Now he can do a job you can't, so he gets the reap the rewards of his work, while you slave away being only a step above the fucking janitor. You and the janitor are in the same boat - you fucked up and didn't do shit with your life.

Notice how even on SLAP the best posters all have real jobs and are educated? If you sit around like a loser expect to be treated like shit. You're just another peon.

you stupid motherfucker, the company i worked for was loaded with nepotism and the person i'm talking about was handed the company by his father and was a cokehead rich kid fuck. WHO DIDN'T WORK and was a college drop out . exactly who the fuck are you to go on psycho-babbling about people and things you have no clue about?

I don't have a degree and I've worked for a lawyer,  at an orthopedic surgeons office, did welding, and was at a bank (all of which paid decent and had benefits) You can get a job if you're multi-faceted and not a social person. basically you can wing anything if you put your mind to it.  getting a fucking piece of paper doesn't  always get you a job (unless you went to a tech/trade school with placement programs) either, for instance very good friend of mine has had his teaching degree for about 2 years and has applied everywhere with no luck, and now works a a comic book store... same with a former computer-science/IT dude I worked with. College is a business like any other and can work for some people but usually is a waste of time if you're a self starter. get a fucking clue and go live a REAL life before you start talking out of your ass like a spoiled brat ass dick.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 05:18:13 AM by Hexagon »

the ragamuffin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 49
« Reply #237 on: March 09, 2011, 05:38:12 AM »
Hex, talking out of his ass is all he's good at, just ignore the fuck.

I'm still on the fence with this job after hearing some stories. On one hand, it makes sense that it would severely fuck my sleep schedule, and it says I would be working weekends and holidays (although whether it would be every weekend is up in the air). I don't know if I'm convinced that it would be the end of the world though. I figure you go in at 7pm, get of at 7am, sleep til 3pm or so, and if you work the next day than chill/skate/do whatever for a few hours before going back; if not than the next day and a half are yours to do whatever.

I've definitely had sleeping problems for a lot of my life, but its never been anything serious, just trouble falling asleep/waking up in the middle of the night and not being able to go back to sleep. I don't know if that's relevant, but overall I'm a pretty fucking sane person. I feel like it'd take a lot more than a weird sleep schedule to make me go crazy, but I dunno.

Diogenes

« Reply #238 on: March 09, 2011, 06:35:20 AM »
Conversation seems to be going in this direction, furthermore its an excellent article.

http://www.economist.com/node/17723223?story_id=17723223

-Diogenes 412 BC-323 BC

cheep

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 103
« Reply #239 on: March 09, 2011, 06:41:54 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Awesome. I am interested in this. Seems like good money for fairly easy work, just not sure if you have to be good at math or whatever.

I've posted here before, but I weld/welder helper. I suggest getting into it at least for a few months. Not sure it's something I want to do for the rest of my life considering your vision starts deteriorating.
its not hard... as long as you can handle the pressure of knowing that you are responsable for everything coming together right, and if it doesnt its all on you.  you have to be right all the time.

actually, not many people can handle it.  it takes a certian type of person... usually potheads... i think at least 75% of the surveyors that work for us have either failed a drug test or i know that they smoke.  ivee failed one. 
http://cheepshit.tumblr.com/
the worst in jacksonville skateboarding