Author Topic: Jobs  (Read 141631 times)

peterpenis and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Canuck

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 348
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Jobs
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2009, 08:09:17 PM »
Work at a skate shop 20 hrs out of the week. sometimes more. A LOT of sitting and doing nothing. or listening to music and watching vids or lurking on slap.

I worked in a skateshop off and on throughout high school. It was cool and I liked paying cost for shoes, boards, etc, but the bummiest thing was when all your homies came in to setup some boards, get some shoes whatever before going skating. Then they leave to go skate and you gotta sit around and watch the shop...

It was alright though cause we had a 3 foot mini in the back and boss didn't care if we skated on shift if no customers were around.

east is in the house

« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2009, 08:23:25 PM »
carpentry, painting, I do lots (as many as I can) jobs that are too small for a landscaping company to take on...rebuilding decks/porches, putting up fences, cutting down excess trees etc. manual labor pays best here. do lots of work on dairy farms and they pay more decently and generously than any boss I've ever had. winter is real tough...I'm trying to save up for a truck and plow if I plan on staying here long-term..

summer is much easier on everyone....I trap a small amount of eel and sell that to a local smokehouse..also sell him applewood...I get $60 per 1/4 cord, nice chunk of change to make in exchange for 45 minutes worth of work on my day off.

its hard for me to call any of this a job, I've never been paid on the books and I deffinetly can't make a career out of any of this. but for someone living in rural upstate new york, I do alright for myself.

Jack of all trades, master of none.

Dr. Evan

• Rep: 24
« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2009, 09:08:14 PM »
full time grad student.  i have to teach an intro history course.  basically i read, write, skate and play a lot of videogames.  i never really want college to end.
Time you enjoyed wasting is never wasted - John Lennon

EastCoastLove

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 64
« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2009, 11:06:21 PM »
I work at an Italian restaurant prepping on weekdays and then on the weekends I'm always in dishland grabbing my ankles.

I also specialize in burning and cutting my fingers, the amount of their bandaids I waste would probably be enough to stop new orleans from flooding.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 11:08:43 PM by EastCoastLove »

Blue Fescue

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2009, 11:59:12 PM »
landscape architect

clamy

« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2009, 12:03:57 AM »
locksmith, can't fucking stand it either.

daddy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 113
« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2009, 12:59:43 AM »
campaign for LaRouche

lem

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 171
« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2009, 01:40:48 AM »
Don't have one. Full time film student with a monthly installment from the father. I understand I'm spoiled and completely fucked when in the real world.

I was going to get a job at a hat shop, ended up deciding against it since I'm moving farther out in December.

snickers

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -325
  • do you think this is a game?
« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2009, 01:43:31 AM »
i work at a call center doing tech support for apple. it makes me want to fucking murder myself.
there may or may not have been a few occasions where i have threatened to murder an apple care tech support person over the phone....

i manage an office of a glazing contractor. it requires the ability to answer a phone, fill out an invoice, lurk on my computer, and play brickbreaker all day. i'm also a freelance photographer, specializing in portraits.
fatcockXL deserves to be mod on the strength of his name alone

Smurph

• Rep: 30
« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2009, 02:22:11 AM »
Full time student also. Saying that I wouldn't mind a job just to buy a new deck. Over here relatively poor people such as myself get grants from the council that are supposed to come at the start of term of university, (end of september) it's fucking november now and I still haven't got shit. I know it's free money so I can't really complain but considering they pay people over here hundreds every week for doing shit all, it's annoying.

paraquat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 199
« Reply #40 on: November 10, 2009, 02:23:18 AM »
I was a freelance instant replay / audio guy for sports TV networks. Just landed a full time gig at a master control center. you watch tv and make sure it doesn't go away. I like the safety net that comes with employment, but miss the freedom of freelance.

alrightythen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -21
« Reply #41 on: November 10, 2009, 06:15:07 AM »
local skateshop like once or twice a week

Bobbito

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -14
« Reply #42 on: November 10, 2009, 06:28:59 AM »
I work for a delivery company that pretty much delivers for restaraunts that don't already. My boss is a major cunt and so is her friend who manages on some days. Also, since I'm in school full time, I only work 2 days a week which makes for no more than $250 disposable income per month and I can never skate because I'm so busy with school. Might lurk the confessions thread now...

letsgobois

• Rep: -25
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #43 on: November 10, 2009, 09:32:01 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
What do you do for work? I sit in an office, by myself for 12 hours a day doing whatever. Lots of time to lurk.
[close]

i want a job like this.  get paid the same as people that completely bust their ass, for just sitting around and chilling. 
[close]

you generally have to bust your ass without pay for quite a few years to get a job like that

Well for the most part that is true. I went to school for Power Engineering for 2 years, that's how I landed this job. But when I was in school I worked weekends at a skateshop. It was dope cause up here snowboard companies looooove to come around in Sept-Nov and shower you with free booze, food and product to listen to them talk about their stuff. I miss the carefree days of school, much more fun than the real world.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 254
  • tiger style
« Reply #44 on: November 10, 2009, 09:37:22 AM »
for me the transitions from one stage of life have felt really well paced. by the time i was sick of school, i was working professionally, ect... i couldn't imagine going back to that lifestyle but then i couldn't imagine living the lifestyle i do now.

letsgobois

• Rep: -25
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #45 on: November 10, 2009, 10:17:45 AM »
for me the transitions from one stage of life have felt really well paced. by the time i was sick of school, i was working professionally, ect... i couldn't imagine going back to that lifestyle but then i couldn't imagine living the lifestyle i do now.

Well for me, I was right sick of school and sooooo stoked to be done. I then took the summer off to have a time, so when I got this job last November I was pretty hyped on getting the easiest job with amazing pay. But now a year after I have been here I just reflect back on those carefree party days I had in school and remember the times when I was always doing something fun. I guess I need to learn how to liven up my life so I can enjoy the best of both worlds.

ZipZinger

« Reply #46 on: November 10, 2009, 10:31:46 AM »
Work at a skate shop 35-40 hrs out of the week.

Tko788

• Rep: -20
« Reply #47 on: November 10, 2009, 11:25:28 AM »
For the guys who work/worked at their local shop, how much were you making and what exactly did you have to do??

I only make $7.50/ hr (cash tho) so it isnt too bad. plus i get 30% off anything and can just take stuff an he'll take it out my pay. But for the amount of work the shop owner wants me and the other "employees" to do he should be paying more.

popeyesfriedchicken

• Rep: -250
« Reply #48 on: November 10, 2009, 11:38:51 AM »
For the guys who work/worked at their local shop, how much were you making and what exactly did you have to do??

I only make $7.50/ hr (cash tho) so it isnt too bad. plus i get 30% off anything and can just take stuff an he'll take it out my pay. But for the amount of work the shop owner wants me and the other "employees" to do he should be paying more.

ha...  be thankful you have a job where you basically get paid to slack off and do almost nothing.  i would get paid that for completely wrecking myself bussing tables at a high end restaurant.  i worked there over a year because the owner kept promising to move me up to server but he never did because i was the only guy who did a good job.  i eventually just walked out and quit one day.  got a job at a new restaurant that just opened up less than a week later, they gave me $200.00 as a bonus just for starting which is fucking unheard of for bussing tables, and i made three times as much as the other place i quit.  then a month later i got the pleasure of losing it all to a freak illness.

i qualify for disability money but the system is completely fucked.  i've had to go through so much bullshit to get a check from social security that i have just given up.  i've met people in the places i've been that don't have it half as bad as me that get a check three times as much as i would get if they would give me one.  my parents help out my brother who does fuck all, but don't give me a cent unless i do something that isn't even worth a third of what they give me.  i'm finally about to start looking for jobs but i don't know where to go where i will get raped again.  it should be do a good job, you get rewarded.  it seems unless you only got the job because of your mommy or daddy in the first place if you do a good job you get taken advantage of.  i would go back to the restaurant i had the good job at but my father told me if i work at a restaurant again he won't support me (living under his roof).  problem is without a college degree there's nothing else where i could make decent money. 

yeah dude!

« Reply #49 on: November 10, 2009, 11:43:15 AM »

I made $10/hr when I worked at a shop. I think they now pay $11/hr. It was rad too because we get 40% off anything in the store (anything shop related, shirts/decks/etc..., was usually free) and we could just write it down and have it taken directly out of our paycheck which meant we didn't pay tax on it either.

However, the shop was also one of the largest SB dealers on the west coast so I'd have to deal with calls asking me how much the Lucky Cat dunks were going to be worth in a year.

zipzinger666

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 153
  • Fuck, that didn't work out...
« Reply #50 on: November 10, 2009, 11:50:18 AM »
I work at a dying movie theater. 7.28/hr but I just watch movies and fuck around for the most part because the managers know its most likely going belly up sometime soon...
Slap: not only do we run things in the industry, we fucking kill people"

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 254
  • tiger style
« Reply #51 on: November 10, 2009, 12:24:02 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Well for me, I was right sick of school and sooooo stoked to be done. I then took the summer off to have a time, so when I got this job last November I was pretty hyped on getting the easiest job with amazing pay. But now a year after I have been here I just reflect back on those carefree party days I had in school and remember the times when I was always doing something fun. I guess I need to learn how to liven up my life so I can enjoy the best of both worlds.

yeah, but once you've dominated the college scene for long enough, being broke and care free starts feeling more like being poor and being a looser and the excitement of random hookups gets replaced by the awkwardness of "bitch is still here???" at least for me it did. but i guess that was just part of getting older for me.

ZipZinger

« Reply #52 on: November 10, 2009, 12:44:20 PM »

$9.00 plus insurance and I get shit at cost. I also don't do shit

Amos Moses

« Reply #53 on: November 10, 2009, 02:13:46 PM »
i work at a call center doing tech support for apple. it makes me want to fucking murder myself.

I work at a tech support call center, too. It's kinda boring and I hate being inside all day, but I do spend an extraordinary amount of time screwin off. I draw and and look at stuff on the internet all day.  I research various topics from local and California History to outdoor survival to marine animals, all kinds of stuff about alcohol, musicians, I've read through the gamut of conspiracy theories and paranormal crap, I check out the funny news stories of the days and look at skateboard stuff all the time. I do get really sick of skate stuff though especially some of the negativity on message boards, but it gets boring reading new articles and wikipedia all the time and I need to read something with personality, that's why I come on here.

cold budweisers

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 615
« Reply #54 on: November 10, 2009, 04:11:58 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I work at a tech support call center, too. It's kinda boring and I hate being inside all day, but I do spend an extraordinary amount of time screwin off. I draw and and look at stuff on the internet all day.  I research various topics from local and California History to outdoor survival to marine animals, all kinds of stuff about alcohol, musicians, I've read through the gamut of conspiracy theories and paranormal crap, I check out the funny news stories of the days and look at skateboard stuff all the time. I do get really sick of skate stuff though especially some of the negativity on message boards, but it gets boring reading new articles and wikipedia all the time and I need to read something with personality, that's why I come on here.
yeah, it's really not too bad when i think of how much non-work i actually do. but i think i've just reached the end of the line in terms of patience for dealing with the actual job. what do you do tech support for?

jildo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 79
  • !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • my blog? avatar image
« Reply #55 on: November 10, 2009, 04:14:03 PM »
I washed dishes and worked construction for awhile. Now I just use the full time student thing as an excuse to be lazy.

WWD4D?

« Reply #56 on: November 10, 2009, 04:39:03 PM »
Just going to college right now. Been looking for a job for awhile now but so far no luck. Was supposed to go job hunting today with a friend  but that fucker never called back.
The only jobs I've had was working the phones at Dominos back in high school, and being the shit worker at this restaurant down the street from my house just a year or so back. Both of those jobs sucked ass.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1475
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #57 on: November 11, 2009, 12:52:09 AM »
United States Navy Photojournalist, Assistant Public Affairs Officer and Medical Photographer.  I witnessed an autopsy today.  Whoever said nothing good can come from watching an unnatural amount of gore/slasher/horror/zombie movies didn't have to do my job.  I'm not saying I'm desensitized.  I'm just saying I didn't really flinch during the 3 hours I sat in the morgue.

tangar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 64
  • THINK LESS
« Reply #58 on: November 11, 2009, 01:24:50 AM »
i work at a smoke shop/tattoo/piercing spot. its in san jose california called bulldog lifestyles on capitol and alum rock. so if any slap homies need a pipe or some ink holler at me. ask for me danny or jason(he's my boy who did my slap tat as well as my others). anyway its not too bad i fuck with bubblers and pipes and get to order all the good shit as well as serve oil burners to sketchy folks all day but i used to work with kids so this is simply the easiest job i've ever had. 
Man the long board truck thing killed indy for me. I was willing to set aside the racism, but long boarding, gtfo... - DH

Matze

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -21
    • www.matthiaswinkel.com avatar image
« Reply #59 on: November 11, 2009, 05:35:43 AM »
i worked for the red cross in the summer, doing "mobile social service" as it is called. driving people around who sit in wheelchairs, bringing old people their lunch ... stuff like that. i worked the first time for a tabacco company on the weekend - the job is triple paid and as easy as at the red cross. but i kinda switched from the good guy to the bad guy.