Author Topic: pros/ams that are dicks  (Read 65107 times)

swissenheights

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 6
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: pros/ams that are dicks
« Reply #420 on: December 03, 2007, 06:15:10 PM »
eli reed...he yelled at some little kids getting in his way when he was trying a trick ,but gave him a new board afterwards..i talked to him too hes a good dude

devine calloway ...everyone knows hes a good guy ..he was really cool to me when i met him ,talked to him about skating for a long time
dah

NickDagger

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -32
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #421 on: December 03, 2007, 06:25:07 PM »
a loooong time ago when he was still on world industries, chris cole asked me if I "could feel the helium" in my converse skate shoes, the ones Stefan Laurance used to always wear. I said yes, and he gave me a smug grin and wandered off.

In retrospect, those shoes were pretty whacky, but you don't gotta be dick, plus I was like 15. that's youre potential fan base, moron.

Aside from that and Jesse Paez who flat out ignored my asking who he was, i've never met another dickish pro/am.

Though I've had the ever unpleasant time of meeting Sue Trihn. Me and my friends showed up to LA High, and there was a bunch of people skating, so we decided to lurk a bit, so there was Chris Haslam, Brian Edwards, Rodrigo Peterson, and like two other brazillian dudes that didn't speak any english skating the rail. We were sorta being standoffish at first, but those dudes were comming over and inviting us to sesh, like way cool. So we started skating, and eventually I think I was trying front salad fakie or something, and I hear the photog dude Sue say "Didn't that get done SWITCH???" to his smug little non-skating friends, and they all snickered. And this dude I was there with was trying kickflip front board or something, and he'd set off his flash randomly to fuck with him, he even ran up on him shooting a sequence, litterally from 15 feet away up into his face while he was on the ground, and he was laughin it up.

Fucking dick.

but as a consolation, haslam did the back board fs flip that ended up in a mag/his round 3 part, so I got to brag that I was there n' shit afterwards

Ever heard of a thing called a....JOKE?

Lighten up faggot.
"DIS YA BOI NICK DAGGAL" -Arto Saari

flowduhh

• Rep: -3
« Reply #422 on: December 05, 2007, 10:03:23 AM »
arto- dick
janoski- possibly the nicest person i've ever met. talked for at least 45  minutes. super chill dude.

metsuri

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 62
« Reply #423 on: December 05, 2007, 11:58:16 AM »

Aside from that and Jesse Paez who flat out ignored my asking who he was, i've never met another dickish pro/am.

So you just flat out asked him "who are you?" That might seem a bit weird, too.

lolomg1111

• Rep: -7
« Reply #424 on: December 05, 2007, 05:23:01 PM »
Jerry hsu was real cool. Same with Jimmy carlin. Duffel was really nice aswell. Got us $5 wrist bands to get into the osiris premier for free. Then later gave all three of us Feed the need. All the dudes on girl where real nice. BA was sick as fuck so was Rickk. Braydon is really sick. Super happy to talk to people. Jereme was real nice too. Gave me a pair of dvs. Shuriken shannon was really nice as well. Real chill

kevinbacon

• Rep: -1
  • bacon status
« Reply #425 on: December 05, 2007, 07:06:24 PM »
fred gall is like the nicest dude ever

EricLogan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 836
  • the ghost of Turd Ferguson's past
« Reply #426 on: December 05, 2007, 09:18:19 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Well, I don't remember what I asked him specifically. I think it was more, "Dude, you're here with Ezekiel, aren't you?" or something.

I dunno, I'm not furious about that, or Chris Cole making fun of my shoes, I wasn't even that upset about it then, even. I just remembered it happening, and those are the two incidents that somewhat fit the bill of this conversation. I'm sure they're both really cool dudes.

But on the other spectrum, Karl Watson was the coolest dude I've ever met, either that or I cought him on a really good day. This dude I went to SF with that drove was a bmx'er, and we were cruising around 3rd & army, and being the respectful bmxer that he was, he was just seshin the gap, I think he did a barspin and a "kickflip" with the cranks, and Karl Watson was sooooo stoked, he came over and initiated conversation with us for like a half hour, and he ended up smoking weed out of a seashell with this other dude I was there with

& Jake Stewart gave me a Media board for riding one of their blanks

Bob Kronbauer*sp hooked my friend up with some crownfarmer gear for waaay cheap, I think I've still got the "take pills and chill" shirt somewhere
I rarely venture into classic slap and the one time I do it I find a guy getting his dick eaten by a dolphin.

matt/tx

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 13
« Reply #427 on: December 05, 2007, 09:21:26 PM »
Whenever I see Clark Hassler he seems REAL STONED but he's always mad cool

BallDontLie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 696
« Reply #428 on: December 09, 2007, 11:09:19 PM »
Kevin Taylor and John Igei have to be the nicest dudes....
if the mods were wu-tang, dean would be cappadonna

FastLife

• Rep: 4
« Reply #429 on: December 10, 2007, 12:12:38 PM »
me and my friends went to see the first X games in Newport back in like 94(the one with the Jamie Thomas back 50-50 in Welcome to Hell Intro).  We were psyched that Ed Templeton started talking to us cuz we were 13 years old and starstruck but he was waaay too nice and super hyped !  He kept telling us about the World Wide Web which we had barely heard of and how Toy Machine was going to be all over it.  He talked for like 40 minutes and after a while we were all thinking to ourselves we gotta get outta here !!  awesome dude

slosher

• Rep: -10
« Reply #430 on: December 10, 2007, 12:15:49 PM »
Danny Garcia was super nice to me also mike carrol was cool. 

Tony Sandwiches

• Rep: 3
« Reply #431 on: December 10, 2007, 12:25:45 PM »
fred gall is like the nicest dude ever

yea i met him the other day he was real cool.

i never met him but my friend said papalardo was a real dick

only other pro ive got to really talk to with was robert lim and he was really chill too

Art_G

« Reply #432 on: December 18, 2007, 01:30:22 AM »
My pro encounters from the 90's... Never a "fan out" situation, usually just skating the same park/spot.

Nice guys:
Ray Barbee - nicest guy ever. Counselled at the same skatecamp a couple times, '98 and '01.

Shawn Mandoli - as above, '98. He had just gotten off Real and was still ripping.

Mike Crum  - when he lived in Vancouver briefly... '95 or so... "yeah'd" my line at The Clubhouse. It's cool when pros give props to kids. Zero effort on the pro's part, makes the kid feel good.

Tas Pappas - bought a Mad Circle shirt off him at Slam City Jam '95 so he could buy lunch, talked to him on the way to the concession. Struck me as nice.

Chris Senn - skated the Powell skatezone with him in '94. He encouraged me to keep trying a trick that he had seen me trying earlier. Landed it in front of him, got the "yeah". Saw him at the first Slam City Jam a month or so later, he remembered me. Stuff like that means you aren't a dick in my book. Just talking and being cool to random kids. I entered SCJ in '98, and Chris was flying around the course like a madman. He bailed something and slid face-first into some kid (who had snuck past security)'s board. Cut his nose, bled pretty good. Didn't yell at the kid, who looked ready to crap his pants. Templeton was cool about it, too (Chris was on Toy Machine then. Ed applied t-shirt-to-the-nose first aid).

Jake Stewart - I saw him entertain a group of kids gathered around him.

Andy MacDonald - I'm sure he's a celebrity on these boards! Anaheim Vans park in '99. I was 3-flipping a hip, he was doing melons over it. I said I couldn't grab backside, he told me my trick was harder.

Ronnie Creager - Same day as above, I thought he was funny cause he had a two-man posse. Both dudes were rocking all Ronnie's sponsors' gear. Then the trio "yeah'd" my tailslide bigspin. Why do I clearly remember the trick? Pros make impressions, I guess.

Rick McCrank - I was semi-sponsored and going to Vancouver more often around the time that he was just about to blow up. Skated around him a few times. Very mellow, cool guy.

I was on the same small board company as Arron Johnson when he was 14. Didn't see him for a few years, then he came through the local park on a demo tour all grown up and absolutely ripping, around '02. I didn't recognise him until he came up to me and said what's up. He's humble even though he's skate-gifted.

Skated lots with Keegan Sauder when he was on Real and lived in my town. We never hit it off as homies, but he's definitely cool. Total natural.

Guy who's so weird he's cool: Lennie Kirk. What an enigma; I couldn't figure him out in the week I was around him. I heard he may be coming back...

There's some not-so-nice pros I've been around, too, but not enough to really know if they're dicks. Well, maybe Moses...

TheMoneyMellon

• Rep: -1
« Reply #433 on: December 18, 2007, 01:46:10 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Well, I don't remember what I asked him specifically. I think it was more, "Dude, you're here with Ezekiel, aren't you?" or something.

I dunno, I'm not furious about that, or Chris Cole making fun of my shoes, I wasn't even that upset about it then, even. I just remembered it happening, and those are the two incidents that somewhat fit the bill of this conversation. I'm sure they're both really cool dudes.

But on the other spectrum, Karl Watson was the coolest dude I've ever met, either that or I cought him on a really good day. This dude I went to SF with that drove was a bmx'er, and we were cruising around 3rd & army, and being the respectful bmxer that he was, he was just seshin the gap, I think he did a barspin and a "kickflip" with the cranks, and Karl Watson was sooooo stoked, he came over and initiated conversation with us for like a half hour, and he ended up smoking weed out of a seashell with this other dude I was there with

& Jake Stewart gave me a Media board for riding one of their blanks

Bob Kronbauer*sp hooked my friend up with some crownfarmer gear for waaay cheap, I think I've still got the "take pills and chill" shirt somewhere

Karl Watson seems like he would be the coolest dude in the industry. He belongs in that "who do you think best represents skateboarding" thread.

Ted Barrows was cool, amazingly consistant with switch tricks that make you look twice and question whether it was really just switch or if you were just imagining things. He kept to himself but at one point everyone left and it was just me and him skating and he seemed to get stoked off of my crappy tricks inbetween doing switch backtails all over the place.

clientele.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 18
  • SLAP
« Reply #434 on: December 18, 2007, 02:02:18 AM »
let's change this to the nicest dude topic.

SLAP is for the haters.

SkateTurtle

• Rep: 4
  • R.I.P SHANE
« Reply #435 on: December 18, 2007, 03:16:47 AM »
ryan smith was a dick
not to me he wasnt.

jrock

« Reply #436 on: December 18, 2007, 03:22:28 AM »
tyler moore focused my board once...but he also invited me to his wedding so I guess that made up for it...

BriDen

« Reply #437 on: December 18, 2007, 11:20:23 AM »
let's change this to the nicest dude topic.

Agreed, now I can contribute more than one thing to the thread. The only "pro" who was a dick was Bob Fairbairn. You've prob never heard of him because he turned himself pro for his shop when he was gunna be in the newspaper, but he's a huge liar and encourages ridiculous price gouging at his skate shop and park, while he lives in a million-dollar house in a gated community. I could go on and on, but he's not even a legit pro, so I digress...
On the other hand, nice dudes include:
Jeron Wilson - talked to one of my friends about shoe colorways for a while, and nothing but good vibes.
Steve Berra - for some reason, nobody seemed to recognize him at the skate more premier I was at. So I talked to him for a while bout being hurt and skating. really cool guy.
Huf - seemed happier to shake my hand than I was to shake his.
Dan Pensyl - really down to earth and smiles for miles.
Steve Rodriguez - cant really come up with the right words, just a great guy
Andrew Reynolds - He appologized for barely bumping into me when he was getting mobbed by kids, it was hardly even his fault. Talked to him later and he appologized again, I didnt think he even remembered me.
Rip (from Super Champion Fun Zone) - Met him skating to KCDC on go skate day, and he hung out with us for a couple hours. Probably the coolest dude I have ever met on or off a board; he was actually sad when my friends and I had to leave.

Penis_Monster

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 45
« Reply #438 on: December 18, 2007, 12:37:21 PM »
me and my friends went to see the first X games in Newport back in like 94(the one with the Jamie Thomas back 50-50 in Welcome to Hell Intro).  We were psyched that Ed Templeton started talking to us cuz we were 13 years old and starstruck but he was waaay too nice and super hyped !  He kept telling us about the World Wide Web which we had barely heard of and how Toy Machine was going to be all over it. He talked for like 40 minutes and after a while we were all thinking to ourselves we gotta get outta here !!  awesome dude

ahahaah!
"I FEAR NO MAN"

Art_G

« Reply #439 on: December 18, 2007, 01:09:39 PM »
Couple more memories:

James Kelch - first Slam City Jam, he sat outside the gated area, drunk with a beer in his hand. I asked him if he was skating the contest, he said "nah, just hangin' out." He was talking to all the kids around him. I guess if he wasn't at home at EMB he was cool...

Jim Thiebaud - same SCJ, I asked him if he had any boards to sell (decks were pretty expensive in Canada then). He said "no, but do you want some wheels?" We walked over to his van and he gave me a set of wheels. I asked him how to pronounce his last name.

Rune Glifberg and Remy Stratton - Vans Park, '99. I filmed them for awhile, they were cool about it, even though Weiss was filming for something... Digital?

Matt Beach - talked to him for awhile one time, he was super cool. Everyone already knew that though.

BallDontLie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 696
« Reply #440 on: December 18, 2007, 06:07:27 PM »
Jose Rojo is super nice, he told me about bag of suck way before it was out which was sick. I was intimidated by Rob Welsh because he is so tall but he was tight too.
if the mods were wu-tang, dean would be cappadonna

89-90pistons

« Reply #441 on: December 18, 2007, 06:12:49 PM »
Tony Vittello and Jeremy Reeves threw their beers on a girl after she punched me in the eye. That was pretty nice of them

angrypork

• Rep: 2
« Reply #442 on: December 18, 2007, 07:56:53 PM »
Eli Reed- Real nice. Gave me an Elwood hat that I still have.
Danny Supa- Met him when I was 13 and told him I was so psyched on his Mixtape part (this was in '05). He was surprised I even knew what Mixtape was. We talked for a bit.
Vinny Ponte- Real nice.
Zered- Quiet but nice.
Lurker Lou- Talks sooooooooo much shit. But still pretty nice.
Malcom Watson- Nicest. Dude. Ever. End of story. Have like 45 minute conversations with him evertyime I see him.
Mike V- Surprisingly really nice and grateful. Handed my board back to me after it came his way. "Yeah'd" this wallride I was trying. Changed my opinion on him.
Charles Lamb- Nice dude. Always slips me some Supreme stickers fo free while Hypebeasts pay like $5 for em.
Wenning- For me the verdicts still out on him. He's been nice to me before but I've seen him be a huge dick a lot of time. My cousin used to date him and one time they came home from the bar. He puked all over her carpet, left and never talked to her again.

Sheckler- HUGE FUCKING DOUCHE. but you already knew that.

Lumpy Oatmeal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 111
  • only the classics
« Reply #443 on: December 18, 2007, 08:04:47 PM »
havent really met any pros/ams that were dicks but i will say jeron wilson was probably one of if not the nicest person i ever met
and yall dont need to be worryin about my rep, if yall really need to know, its cause no other rapper on here gully enough to do the dirt dolo i done
[quote author=drunk link=topic=46570.msg125

Gest

« Reply #444 on: December 18, 2007, 09:27:39 PM »
randy colvin is the coolest dude to ever come across

dodgersgirl

« Reply #445 on: December 18, 2007, 09:45:06 PM »
Tony Vittello and Jeremy Reeves threw their beers on a girl after she punched me in the eye. That was pretty nice of them

Ok gotta ask...why did the girl punch you in the eye?

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1610
« Reply #446 on: December 18, 2007, 09:57:24 PM »
i met that fat dude..."O" before...he was super cool....he was really into chips....

lurk daddy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -464
  • put the FU back in fun
« Reply #447 on: December 19, 2007, 01:44:17 AM »
pat burke is chill as fuck we smoked alot of weed for 2 days straight
IF YOU HAVE SEX ONCE, YOU GET HERPES. IF YOU DO COKE ONCE, YOU DIE AND LOSE YOUR JOB.

jdk

• Rep: 0
« Reply #448 on: December 19, 2007, 05:52:27 AM »
Expand Quote
Nicest pro's i've met would be:

Biebel.

[close]

one of the nicest dudes ever.
Haha he seems it, 2 of my friends ended up showing biebel and a few others around Tucson and he said Biebal wouldn't shut the fuck up the whole time and kept going on about how his best remedy for hangovers is to drink 3 redbulls and then he goes to the amusement park by his house and rides rollercoasters all morning. haha.

Prison Wallet

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 511
  • I'm gonna break my leg off in your ass
« Reply #449 on: December 19, 2007, 05:56:35 AM »
Man I'd love to see Beebs skate those fountain blocks behind the Tucson courthouse...