Author Topic: Let's Argue About Trick Names  (Read 69215 times)

BriDen

Re: Let's Argue About Trick Names
« Reply #90 on: March 10, 2010, 08:32:55 PM »
The thing that gets confusing to me is the whole 180 into grind thing. A fs 180 into a switch 5-0, is a fs 180 nosegrind but a nollie fs 180 switch 5-0 is just a nollie 180 switch 5-0...Correct?
No, it's a nollie fs 180 nosegrind

Is a switch 180 nosegrind a switch 180 5-0 or just a switch 180 nosegrind?
a "switch 180 nosegrind" is a switch 180 to regular stance 5-0. It's the same exact motion of a "180 nosegrind" just done switch.

What about fake halfcab boardslides and fakie ollie boardslides? Those ones always confuse me, too. I get the fake ollie boardslides but not the other version (like riding backside, then fakie olling into a switch backlip or what?)
Fakie ollie 90 degrees backside into a boardslide (fakie ollie to switch front lip)= Fakie b/s boardslide
Fakie ollie 90 degrees frontside into a boardslide (fakie ollie to switch back lip) = Fakie f/s boardslide

mcpeepants

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -18
« Reply #91 on: March 10, 2010, 08:47:36 PM »
I've heard people refer to a big flip as a big-spin flip. Just seems unnecessary to have the 'spin' in there. It would make a little more sense if bs flips were called small-spin flips, but they aren't. What do you guys call it? big flip or big-spin flip?
you some closet dick-in-da-booty ass nigga.

chillout

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 9
  • beer
« Reply #92 on: March 10, 2010, 09:00:04 PM »
Overcrook ain't a trick, it's a weak excuse for a noseblunt.

overcrooks look tight, and theyre nothing like a noseblunt. fs overcrooks i pretty much consider a nosegrind, but bs overcrooks can be a thing of beauty when executed properly. but i guess i believe in overcrooks fs or bs

Allen.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 714
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #93 on: March 10, 2010, 10:10:37 PM »
I've heard people refer to a big flip as a big-spin flip. Just seems unnecessary to have the 'spin' in there. It would make a little more sense if bs flips were called small-spin flips, but they aren't. What do you guys call it? big flip or big-spin flip?

It really depends, I don't see a difference, it's like saying "Front Tail" instead of "Frontside Tailslide", to me.
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 381
« Reply #94 on: March 10, 2010, 10:47:15 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
tucknee nose manual?
tailblock slide
[close]

I thought these same names for the Louie video.

I always thought that Sean Penns were Madonnas but just backside. Like your front foot still comes off on the heel side, you just don't turn it front side. It's when the front foot comes off the toe side that it becomes a judo. And then an anti-judo is when you kick your front foot off heel side, but don't bring the board up like you would for a Madonna. I've never seen a Sean Penn before, so I might be wrong with that, but I have seen the other three.
[close]
I thought the difference between a judo and a sean penn was doing it to tail

Maybe. Like I said-I've never seen one, so I'm not sure. Also, just to clarify, a bigger spin is where the board goes 540 and you go 180. If the board goes 540 and you go 360, then it's a 360 big spin or a variation (cab big spin, etc.)

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #95 on: March 10, 2010, 11:02:27 PM »
they are called bigspin flips "big flips" are what Andrew Reynolds does down sets of stairs. A bigspin and a kickflip at the sametime are bigspin flips. I know people use "big flip" all the time, but it sounds stupid to me.

the bigger spin thing is really annoying.
And to whoever said it, I heard b/s 360 kickflips called "chicago flips" too, back around the time "el nino flips" were cool.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2563
« Reply #96 on: March 10, 2010, 11:33:49 PM »

God, I hope you're trolling...
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

GnArcIsSisTic

« Reply #97 on: March 10, 2010, 11:57:43 PM »
Anyone know the nerdy spin/shove thing Marc Johnson did in a line in Fully Flared?

3:17

i guess it's along the lines of all that 'bigger spin' bullshit.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #98 on: March 11, 2010, 12:59:29 AM »
I would call that a nollie b/s 360 bigspin, but it's called a gazelle.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #99 on: March 11, 2010, 01:08:46 AM »
no, its not. You aren't the first person to call it that, but you are just as wrong. A gazelle is something else.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #100 on: March 11, 2010, 01:53:51 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
no, its not. You aren't the first person to call it that, but you are just as wrong. A gazelle is something else.

What's a gazelle then? I don't remember if we've gone over this.

ratherwatch

« Reply #101 on: March 11, 2010, 04:35:22 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

What's a gazelle then? I don't remember if we've gone over this.
My understanding was that a gazelle dismount was when Montessi or Carroll would flop off a noseslide to fakie then pivot around on the back truck to come out forwards. it all went to the wall when people began to get that stuff out of slides clean, in the air. The half nabs thing in the UK was due to the fact that RAD magazine was basically a Southbank coolguy fansheet by that stage and anything those 6 or 7 dudes said went, despite it making no sense whatsoever.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1473
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #102 on: March 11, 2010, 06:16:52 AM »
How about anything involving more spins than a bigger spin is just relegated to the name meat spin?  That would be fucking great.

mcpeepants

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -18
« Reply #103 on: March 11, 2010, 07:04:02 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

God, I hope you're trolling...

??? Everyone I skate with calls em big flips. But I've heard some people say big-spin flip. I was just asking. That's the point of this thread isn't it?
you some closet dick-in-da-booty ass nigga.

jacquesknife

• Rep: -29
« Reply #104 on: March 11, 2010, 10:17:30 AM »
Going too far down this road will give you a nervous breakdown at best....just take it at face value and save on medical bills. It is what it is

whiteley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 362
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #105 on: March 11, 2010, 10:31:05 AM »
in another barely legal way, a 'fakie crooked grind' would really be like one of those tweaked fakie b/s nosegrinds that kalis does ('fakie ollie switch suski', lulz). in every other instance that i can think of The Rules work, even if they seem awkward -- ba's fakie f/s feeble grind often being mislabeled as a fakie hurricane

interesting point on the fakie crooked grind/fakie nosegrind a la kalis idea...
not sure if you're saying fakie hurricanes should be called fakie f/s feebles or not, couldn't quite follow which side of the argument you're coming from-- but fakie feebles of any sort don't exist. the direction you're traveling and the way you get into it wouldn't line up semantically. but that made me think of a cool trick idea-- picture this: riding up like you're gonna do a fakie back tail. f/s half cab you over-rotate a little into a regular feeble grind...

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

never heard of a meatspin! biggerspin for sure, but meatspin is entertaining.

[close]

You're setting yourself up for a very disturbing and traumatizing experience there....
[close]

wouldn't be the first time.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
we didn't really touch on many of the boneless/footplant variations yet: creepers, ice plants, bean plants, texas plants, etc... it's a zoo of names in the tranny sector.
hey, does a b/s stalefish have another name? that always seemed virtually impossible to me. BUT i always wanted to see somebody overturn a f/s stalefish into a switch method and come in backwards- now THAT would be sick!
[close]
What about Jolly mambo sex change variel? I never fully got what they were talking about in Animal Chin...

"awe your messed up"
[close]

i always took those as two different tricks-- was he combining them there???
[close]
Yeah I think so but what the hell is Jolly mambo?  and sex change variel is a spread eagle fs shove grab? ahh fuck I don't know.

jolly mambo is a f/s invert that you over-rotate and tweak , stall, and then bring in to fakie. kinda the same as a miller flip in total, but the way you execute the motion is much different. another blender trick and name. notice a trend here?
sex change is an air where you take your front foot off and insert the board between your legs, like a pogo, and then come back in. i can only imagine the varial edition would turning the  board or your body after the board between your legs part.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
tucknee nose manual?
tailblock slide
[close]

I thought these same names for the Louie video.

I always thought that Sean Penns were Madonnas but just backside. Like your front foot still comes off on the heel side, you just don't turn it front side. It's when the front foot comes off the toe side that it becomes a judo. And then an anti-judo is when you kick your front foot off heel side, but don't bring the board up like you would for a Madonna. I've never seen a Sean Penn before, so I might be wrong with that, but I have seen the other three.
[close]
I thought the difference between a judo and a sean penn was doing it to tail

no. i have received conformation here. sean penn is kicking on the opposite side of the board from the way you kick a judo. meaning behind you. judo to tail is just judo to tail, it has no name. i talked to dawes about this, he got up in arms and got into the whole "frigid" vs "judo" thing, too. watch out, he might chime in here and he'll probably cal me out on something i've mislabeled...

***briden nailed it on the response he gave. good work***

"big flip" is just short hand for "bigspin kickflip" in the same way "back tail" is short for "backside tailslide." call it whichever, it's like calling somebody Tom or Thomas. but don't call anything "small flip." that's not ok.
and speaking of bigspin stuff, this one hasn't come up yet: the spin-off. it's the opposite of a bigspin, meaning you go 360 and the board goes 180. lotti had

a nice one.

that's not a gazelle. my understanding of gazelles can be used in two different ways: 1) the way ratherwatch describes them as wack 270 dismounts out of ledge tricks; and 2) before that it was used to describe b/s nollie 360s before noses existed and you couldn't really pop them. they were like pressure off the nose 360 spins that you pivoted.
what marc does there would be, jeez, a nollie 540 shove-it 360 body varial. that's a rodney mullen thing, he might have given it a name. not sure.

How about anything involving more spins than a bigger spin is just relegated to the name meat spin?  That would be fucking great.

backing that term!

and here's another one: The Special. this is one kalis tried to get to catch on but i don't think it did. that was his term for switch f/s bigspin heelflips.
keep 'em coming!

remEMBer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 52
    • emb4ever avatar image
« Reply #106 on: March 11, 2010, 10:36:43 AM »
Thanks again for clearing that up! Whiteley coming in here like Obi Wan!

whiteley

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #107 on: March 11, 2010, 10:39:04 AM »
and i got bitched out for calling a varial heel a varial heel instead of a heelflip shuv in the es game of skate last year

oh, and i was thinking about this more. while "heel shove" is common terminology these does for a "varial heel" it's actually wrong. a "heel shove" would be correct shorthand for an inwards heelflip, but correct shorthand for a varial heel would have to be "heel f/s shove"-- otherwise, when it's just "shove" it implies it's a backside shove-it, changing the direction the board is turning.

Mr. DNA

« Reply #108 on: March 11, 2010, 10:41:18 AM »
So a Sean Penn is a backside Madonna?

whiteley

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #109 on: March 11, 2010, 10:48:57 AM »
^yeah, basically. all the same grabs and body movements as a madonna, but turning backside instead. for the youths, madonna and sean penn were married at the time this trick came out and i can only assume it was named the sean penn because it was the opposite of (the) madonna. either that or because sean penn was up on the backside of madonna. ba-dum-bump! thanks, i'll be here all week...

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #110 on: March 11, 2010, 11:15:47 AM »
Expand Quote
in another barely legal way, a 'fakie crooked grind' would really be like one of those tweaked fakie b/s nosegrinds that kalis does ('fakie ollie switch suski', lulz). in every other instance that i can think of The Rules work, even if they seem awkward -- ba's fakie f/s feeble grind often being mislabeled as a fakie hurricane
[close]

not sure if you're saying fakie hurricanes should be called fakie f/s feebles or not, couldn't quite follow which side of the argument you're coming from-- but fakie feebles of any sort don't exist.

edit, just realised that's a hurricane...

Here's a bs fakie feeble, though, at 2:56

« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 11:19:31 AM by Alan »

whiteley

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #111 on: March 11, 2010, 11:31:01 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

not sure if you're saying fakie hurricanes should be called fakie f/s feebles or not, couldn't quite follow which side of the argument you're coming from-- but fakie feebles of any sort don't exist.
[close]

edit, just realised that's a hurricane...

Here's a bs fakie feeble, though, at 2:56

No! that's a fakie f/s hurricane. like i've written in here before, the way fakie tricks work is that you look at what the trick would have been if you got into it normally, and then you add the approach title. with this, if he had gotten into it going regular, it would be a f/s hurricane, but because he got into it from fakie, it's a fakie f/s hurricane. "fakie feeble" does not exist! for something to be a "feeble" you have to be traveling forwards, so you can't get into it from going fakie. you can ollie or nollie into a feeble, but you can't go fakie into it.

BriDen

« Reply #112 on: March 11, 2010, 11:37:52 AM »
Whitely, your assistance is needed in The Tom Penny Show thread

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #113 on: March 11, 2010, 11:40:54 AM »
I see what you mean. But, just for argument's sake, a hurricane requires a 180, here there isn't one, it's just a feeble going backwards...

I've been trying to think of other similar examples but right now it seems to me to be unique...

BriDen

« Reply #114 on: March 11, 2010, 11:52:52 AM »
I see what you mean. But, just for argument's sake, a hurricane requires a 180, here there isn't one, it's just a feeble going backwards...

I've been trying to think of other similar examples but right now it seems to me to be unique...

That trick people have been doing a lot lately, fakie ollie to switchstance willy grind (is that even the right term for it? Everyone here called them lazy grinds when I was growing up), is always called a fakie smith. According to Whitely, they should be called fakie sugarcanes, but I've never heard them go by that name.

I'm with Alan on this one, fakie feeble, but for the sake of not having to lecture people at the skatepark, I submit to fakie hurricanes.

whiteley

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #115 on: March 11, 2010, 11:57:26 AM »
Whitely, your assistance is needed in The Tom Penny Show thread

i'm on my way!

hear me now and believe me later- there is no feeble going backwards! again, with fakie names, it depends how you would have gotten into the position if you had been going forwards- to get into that position going forwards, yes, he would have done a (nearly) 180-- BUT to get into that position from fakie, it does not take a 180. however, he still ends up in the f/s hurricane position. that's why it is a "fakie f/s hurricane." THERE IS NO FAKIE FEEBLE!

whiteley

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #116 on: March 11, 2010, 12:07:05 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
That trick people have been doing a lot lately, fakie ollie to switchstance willy grind (is that even the right term for it? Everyone here called them lazy grinds when I was growing up), is always called a fakie smith. According to Whitely, they should be called fakie sugarcanes, but I've never heard them go by that name.

I'm with Alan on this one, fakie feeble, but for the sake of not having to lecture people at the skatepark, I submit to fakie hurricanes.

ok, i can see the discrepancy in titling logic here, actually. the fakie smith grind is what you are referring to above, because you are going fakie into a smith grind position- even though you are traveling backwards. but you're right- looking at it with the same standards as the fakie hurricane, it should be called a fakie sugarcane. interesting... but not a fakie ollie to switch f/s willy grind because that crosses the "you don't go from fakie into switch during the same trick line."

Zurg

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
« Reply #117 on: March 11, 2010, 12:08:02 PM »
what would you call a fakie ollie to switch feeble? theres gotta be something catchier than that

BriDen

« Reply #118 on: March 11, 2010, 12:12:34 PM »
what would you call a fakie ollie to switch feeble? theres gotta be something catchier than that
Fakie baglady?

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #119 on: March 11, 2010, 12:15:19 PM »

just call it a fakie sieben grind...