Author Topic: Are There Any People That Are Really Into Electronic Music?  (Read 133622 times)

Kain

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -4
Re: Are There Any People That Are Really Into Electronic Music?
« Reply #570 on: January 12, 2013, 02:33:29 PM »

i've seen the gaslamp killer several times over the past few years at the Low End Theory in LA (he's a resident DJ there obv.) he's so damn lively in person its amazing

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 176
« Reply #571 on: January 15, 2013, 06:20:55 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
well, it gets the job done.?  sounds pretty good.?  if you want to go analog, you should look into the arturia minibrute.?  completely analog monosynth for $400-500.?  its well built and sounds great.? 
[close]

I've heard this is great as well.?  I'm thinking about picking one up cause I'm getting sick of menu diving with the microKorg.
What do you recommend for drums??  I've got an akai XR20 and I'm hoping to get some good plug-ins for ableton to go with it.
[close]

i used ableton for all of the drums on my record.?  you can get really crazy experimenting with effect chains.?  i basically layered a bunch of different sounds at different levels to get the sound i wanted (some songs had 30+ drum tracks).

that being said, i haven't touched ableton in about 2 years.?  i use the octatrack for all of my drums now.?  i have a folder of samples with about 80 different vintage drum machines loaded on the CF card, so i just pick sounds i like and build my tracks up from there.?  when i was using ableton i thought of the drums more like a drummer, but now that i'm using a step sequencer it's made me think out of the box a bit.? 

so if you can find the money, check out the octatrack or even the Machinedrum or the Analog 4.?  (i'm now using the Analog 4 to add a sublayer of analog drums, and its making a big difference).?  the korg monotribe is worth checking out.?  the sounds are fixed, but there are a few mods you can do to open it up a bunch.?  lots of friends of mine like the korg electribe series.?  i think the most important thing is to find a piece of gear that has sounds that are inspiring to you.?  a lot of these preset machines have terrible sounds, and that can be really discouraging when youre working on music.?  the more you create and shape your own sounds, the more fun it will be, and the better it will sound.?  and keep in mind, any sound can be a drum sound.?  process/effect/automate the hell out of it, and you might find something really crazy and unique

keep an eye on the NAMM show in a few weeks, i think a lot of new analog stuff is coming out (new moog, korg MS 20 reissue).?  i think the market is shifting to make this stuff more affordable, so its a good time to get into it

Thanks for the info.  I don't think I'll be getting a new physical drum machine for a couple of years but I'll check out some of them any way.  At the moment I'm really just torn between getting a $500 digital piano or getting the minibrute. 

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 795
« Reply #572 on: January 15, 2013, 07:55:00 PM »
most DAWs have pretty good piano and other conventional sounds.  lots of ipad apps do as well.  you might do better getting a good midi keyboard and some plug ins, then getting one of those workstation keyboards.  if you do decide on the minibrute, it has aftertouch, so you could use it as a full featured midi keyboard (also as a CV keyboard since it sends and receives control voltage).  only drawback is the small keyboard.  you know i'd advise you to get the MB, but i'm pretty biased (i also don't really use piano sounds on anything).  try both out and see what clicks for you. 
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

steezy_scholz

• Rep: -25
« Reply #573 on: January 16, 2013, 04:24:22 PM »
electronic is not music , this shit sucks
knees weak arms spaghetti, theres spaghetti on his spaghetti already, moms spaghetti

Steyv Seynystyr hyhy

• Rep: -3
« Reply #574 on: January 17, 2013, 02:35:24 AM »

shit like this gets me hyped

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #575 on: January 17, 2013, 08:16:19 AM »
I'm picking up the minibrute tonight.  I'm very excited. 

BRIX SKWIKZ

smokecrack

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -160
« Reply #577 on: January 18, 2013, 12:28:33 AM »
Just Blaze is releasing an electronic album on Fool's Gold soon. the first song is pure, straight-forward house music

download http://www.hulkshare.com/ba4mwumxldz4

this one is more of a trap/club-banger

http://www.2dopeboyz.com/2013/01/18/just-blaze-baauer-higher/

casper

« Reply #578 on: January 18, 2013, 01:23:03 PM »

dinosaur

• Rep: 7
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #579 on: February 01, 2013, 11:26:31 AM »
^indeed!

edit:
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 01:03:47 PM by dinosaur »

wassupx8

• Rep: -1
« Reply #580 on: February 13, 2013, 12:28:45 PM »

Carmack

https://soundcloud.com/alphapup/great-dane-i-do-my
Great Dane

Djemba Djemba

Anyone into this kind of stuff?

dinosaur

• Rep: 7

sven thorkel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 476
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #582 on: March 09, 2013, 09:16:14 AM »
well, it gets the job done.  sounds pretty good.  if you want to go analog, you should look into the arturia minibrute.  completely analog monosynth for $400-500.  its well built and sounds great. 

i think i'm going to get one. from the videos i've watched they seem totally worth it. i'm bored of presets, i need to have more control. do you have one?
"Front row tickets to a bomb ass play"

Quote from: PonyFAP
I don't know where you get your facts. The first generation of My Little Ponies were made by Hasbro, not the Khmer Rouge. And Hasbro hasn't made toys out of human skulls since the 1960's.

Tom Penny says: My 'ed systems!

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #583 on: March 09, 2013, 09:23:18 AM »
yeah i've got one.  just played a show with it last night.  not having presets has taught me so much more about synthesis.  the features it has are ridiculous for the price.  best deal out as far as analog synths go. 

_UniversalTruth_

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 42
« Reply #584 on: March 09, 2013, 12:47:09 PM »
I wonder what the new Autechre release sounds like..............
i likes skooterboarding.. be lets friends :)

sven thorkel

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #585 on: March 10, 2013, 02:51:54 PM »
yeah i've got one.  just played a show with it last night.  not having presets has taught me so much more about synthesis.  the features it has are ridiculous for the price.  best deal out as far as analog synths go. 

for sure. it seems perfect for me because i dont have a lot of space, so it being compact is really good. im ordering one today cause no store in my city has them in stock

I don't know where you get your facts. The first generation of My Little Ponies were made by Hasbro, not the Khmer Rouge. And Hasbro hasn't made toys out of human skulls since the 1960's.

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #586 on: March 10, 2013, 03:03:39 PM »
Awesome.  let me know how it works out for you.  and if you need any tips, just hit me up

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #587 on: March 13, 2013, 07:47:17 AM »
I haven't really gotten into my minibrute much yet.  I can tell that the sound is better than my microKorg and I enjoy not having to do any menu diving but I'm just not very creative with a monophonic synth so far.  I've thought about selling it back, but I think I need to spend some more time with it first.

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #588 on: March 13, 2013, 09:12:19 AM »
its definitely a bit of a challenge at first, but give it a little more time and experiment with it.  try turning the filter resonance all the way up and filter close to all the way down, and turn up the amp and filter LFO, then fuck with the lfo speed.  the arp is also fun too. 

also keep in mind that when you have the oscillator faders more than half way up, that it overdrives the filter and gives a harsh sound.  if you keep them under half way, you can get a smoother, more vintage sound

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #589 on: March 15, 2013, 06:48:31 AM »
Ya I'm not ready to give up.  Those are interesting tips.

Can anyone help me??  I'm looking for some mellow, generic even, house music recommendations.  It's great for working.  Something like this:

The whole of Ambient 1 is exactly the type of music I'm looking for.  I don't know Aphex Twin's catalog that well so if there's other stuff by him that sounds similar let me know.  So far I haven't found a similar record by him.  This too:

« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 09:46:49 AM by chockfullofthat »

sven thorkel

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #590 on: March 15, 2013, 12:10:59 PM »
Awesome.  let me know how it works out for you.  and if you need any tips, just hit me up

i guess there's an issue with availabilty (at least in canada). there's a huge demand for them but they didn't manufacter enough of them. i put a deposit down but it might be a few months before i get it. fuck

chockfullofthat, i listen to this youtube channel called endorphins4 all day at work. it's a collection of ambient, deep techno and IDM. i just put his uploaded videos on the playlist set to random and every now and then i skip a song

http://www.youtube.com/user/endorphins4

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #591 on: March 15, 2013, 12:15:21 PM »
Sounds perfect.  I just became aware of the term IDM yesterday as I was obsessively looking for something like ambient 1.  The Black Dog seems to be the only group I like as much thus far.  As far as the minibrute availability plenty of shops are selling it brand new on eBay.

_UniversalTruth_

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 42
« Reply #592 on: April 03, 2013, 01:00:47 AM »
Check out this downloadable mix of my last semester's closing party, I dug it.

http://www.mixcloud.com/smidek/smidek-rundgang-kassel/
i likes skooterboarding.. be lets friends :)

The Human Condom

• Rep: 45
  • Free condoms! Free condoms from The Human Condom.
    • : /skeɪt/ avatar image
« Reply #593 on: April 03, 2013, 03:55:34 PM »
I'm not a person really into EDM by any means, but I do enjoy that Calvin Harris song, "Sweet Nothing" that features Florence Welch from Florence and the Machine singing vocals.  I would say it's one of my guilty radio pleasures.
""

I JUST WANNA DANCE.
""

Harem

« Reply #594 on: April 16, 2013, 07:47:30 PM »
This is fucking incredible. One of the best Boiler Room sets.

Fake Tits

« Reply #595 on: April 24, 2013, 09:30:05 PM »
Noob here.

Can someone point me in the direction of a good Aphex Twin album?

I've only heard come to daddy and window licker.  I LOVE window licker.  Any of his albums that sound like that??  Or are they all over the place?

Thank you very kindly.

Fake Tits.

ogcoors

• Rep: -69
« Reply #596 on: April 28, 2013, 02:19:04 AM »
This chick sucked my dick and destroyed my speakers to your computer ass musical endeavor. I was raised on music that would beat your ass if you rely on an iPad. Please skate. Just skate it might get the computer out of your weak ass soul.

Harem

« Reply #597 on: April 29, 2013, 01:34:24 AM »
New Octo Octa album is going to be fucking incredible -

https://soundcloud.com/100percentsilk/octo-octa-work-me-silk046/s-F9f5t

Acrid Avid Jam Shred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -156
« Reply #598 on: May 05, 2013, 10:55:43 PM »

Both of these count... congratulations on being the last interesting thread in the Music tab.

goosey

• Rep: 4
« Reply #599 on: May 06, 2013, 10:47:43 AM »
try:

And this kyle hall RA mix that came out today is great:

http://www.residentadvisor.net/podcast-episode.aspx?id=362