Author Topic: plateaus & your learning curve  (Read 5058 times)

Commercial D

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -670
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
plateaus & your learning curve
« on: April 05, 2010, 08:23:53 PM »
How do you move your skill level up when you're stuck at a plateau? So much of it seems psychological.

Here's what I mean. I was at this park last week trying to nollie a gap and I just kept blowing it—even though I told myself to pop early I kept hitting it late and just jumping off. After like 50 tries I did one perfectly and it felt amazing—and really easy. I did five in a row after that before heading home exhausted.

The next time I went to the park I tried that same nollie for like an hour doing the same shit that fucked me up last time and I just couldn't get this mind block out of the way.

I'm at the age now where my learning curve is really flat, but I want to be able to do all I can do with the limited skill set that I have. What are some tips/tricks that help you remove mental blocks to progress?
Skate videos have been downhill ever since 411VM #20

H8R part 4

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -301
Re: plateaus & your learning curve
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 07:52:28 AM »
my mental block is the same these days, "i'm old and i don't want to bust my ass".  if i really want to land a trick i think to myself, "just fall, you want to fall, you're going to fall no matter what".  once i accept this, i usually land the trick.   

on a related note, i prefer to take a slam early during the session.  i know that might sound weird but i like getting that first slam of the day out of the way.  it helps me get relaxed and i start to enjoy myself more without having the potential slam hanging over my head.     

RightCoastBiased

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -56
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 08:10:16 AM »
Just before breaking my leg I was actually learning a whole bunch of shit. Now I am nervous about what it's going to be like to get on a board after possibly 7-8 months of not skating and the fear of injury that tends to plague you after coming back from an injury. But hopefully being so hungry to get back out skating will overcome being a pussy.

ccc333

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 65
  • ohyeah
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010, 08:34:37 AM »
my mental block is the same these days, "i'm old and i don't want to bust my ass".  if i really want to land a trick i think to myself, "just fall, you want to fall, you're going to fall no matter what".  once i accept this, i usually land the trick.   

on a related note, i prefer to take a slam early during the session.  i know that might sound weird but i like getting that first slam of the day out of the way.  it helps me get relaxed and i start to enjoy myself more without having the potential slam hanging over my head.     

This.

I also skate better when Im pissed.

The Ghost of Lenny Kirk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -146
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2010, 11:41:06 AM »
 read chicken soup for the skateboarders soul and drink 3 beers before starting every session, works every time.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 261
  • tiger style
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2010, 11:54:00 AM »
gotta just try something different

i've kind of given up on getting significant pop out of my nollie\switch foot anytime soon. i still work on it, but i don't stress on it.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 677
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2010, 10:49:05 AM »
someone like you dallas, it is going to be hard for you to ever get good at anything. you are going to have to change your entire outlook on life, you are a pussy. i hope some day you can achieve the greatness i have.

Commercial D

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2010, 12:22:04 AM »
Just don't pull a Jereme in reverse and give up your schizo ginger whisper raps to pursue a career in skateboarding

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2010, 12:50:21 PM »
dont need to, i have a real career

Beer Keg Peg Leg

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -35
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2010, 03:16:59 AM »
watch out rawb, this is a >190 weightlifter your talking to here.

Commercial D

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2010, 11:29:56 AM »

Almost <190, probably by early next week. On my way to the park now.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2010, 07:13:51 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Almost <190, probably by early next week. On my way to the park now.
shut up h.i.v. faggot

grimcity

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2214
  • computer says no
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2010, 07:31:11 PM »
How do you move your skill level up when you're stuck at a plateau? So much of it seems psychological.

Here's what I mean. I was at this park last week trying to nollie a gap and I just kept blowing it—even though I told myself to pop early I kept hitting it late and just jumping off. After like 50 tries I did one perfectly and it felt amazing—and really easy. I did five in a row after that before heading home exhausted.

The next time I went to the park I tried that same nollie for like an hour doing the same shit that fucked me up last time and I just couldn't get this mind block out of the way.

I'm at the age now where my learning curve is really flat, but I want to be able to do all I can do with the limited skill set that I have. What are some tips/tricks that help you remove mental blocks to progress?

For me, it's a matter of switching things up. Right now, I'm in a street phase... curb shit for some reason. This weekend I'm going to skate some concrete transition (hopefully with Hate on his way home to the Fort), and a few weeks ago I skated some wood park stuff. If you don't have the parks, just go to spots that require you to do something different (like a bank versus a set of stairs).

What I mean to say is that you can progress tons if you branch out. I think all types of skating compliment each other, so if you have some really diverse spots, make each session focused on that thing, then put your attention elsewhere. Progress organically.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 261
  • tiger style
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2010, 09:40:59 AM »
^^^ works best for me

Commercial D

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2010, 11:56:24 PM »
For me, it's a matter of switching things up. Right now, I'm in a street phase... curb shit for some reason. This weekend I'm going to skate some concrete transition (hopefully with Hate on his way home to the Fort), and a few weeks ago I skated some wood park stuff. If you don't have the parks, just go to spots that require you to do something different (like a bank versus a set of stairs).

What I mean to say is that you can progress tons if you branch out. I think all types of skating compliment each other, so if you have some really diverse spots, make each session focused on that thing, then put your attention elsewhere. Progress organically.

A great strategy for overall progression and well-roundedness. But what about pushing forward with whatever you happen to be working onthat day? Breaking barriers? Climing out of a rut, and up the ladder?

While weight and strength play some role, everything else—pop size, flick ability, rotation accuracy, light-footedness—is mental.

I think getting better is nothing more than setting the bar higher and working with determination. As an example in my case, there's this small indoor park with a roll-in opposite an up-gap (aka Euro). When I started going there in February I had winter rust so severe it took me ten tries just to ollie up the thing. Getting an ollie that was straight and landed quickly took another ten or tries. There's only about three feet of flat before you hit the roll-in so you have to throw down after a single powerful lunge in order to get enough speed for a good blast up the ramp opposite. Anyway, it took me all night—more than 50 tries—to ollie into the ramp. I kept kicking it away for fear of a slipout or something, but once I did it I realized how easy I was, and that I was allowing my fears and expectations hinder me.

My second time at the park, after many tries I finally kickflipped up. I knew this was within my ability so I worked on getting it more consistently before I sought a new milestone—a personal NBD. I wondered if I could switch ollie up but told myself I probably couldn't. I'd never switch ollied an up-gap at a park, or up anything higher than a curb for that matter. After thinking about it during my next couple of visits I decided to try the Euro anyway.

The hardest part was committing to the first switch roll-in. Took a few minutes to work myself up to it. Of course with that first try I had nowhere near sufficient speed to blast up the Euro, so I kept trying to hit the roll-in faster until I was throwing down before rolling down the same way as I do regular-footed. When I finally made a crooked-ass switch ollie up and rolled it away I couldn't believe it. I worked on it all night to try to straighten it out. After two more visits I blasted up straight second try and was switch ollieing up this Euro more consistently than I could kickflip it. By night's end it got to be so easy I thought to try a switch 180°. A few weeks ago, I never thought I could do this. Eventually I did a sketchy one with a late-ass harsh pivot. The next time I showed up I did it perfectly, rolling out with speed.

Easy tricks, sure, but keep in mind that the switch 180° was well beyond my expectations of just weeks ago. It makes me wonder how much further I can bring it. Yes I suck but not long ago I had switch flips more consistent than kickflips—could I actually switch flip this up-gap? That would definitely not suck, and a few weeks ago I would have considered that trick impossible to land in my lifetime. Today it seems no more distant than the switch ollie was a couple weeks ago.

This again reminds me of what I read in an Andrew Reynolds interview years ago—"Anybody can do any trick. We all have the same legs and skateboards." While quick progression is common in younger skaters, it's almost unheard-of at my age. I suppose my point is that the more we expect from ourselves, the more we're able to deliver, and that improving in skateboarding is more a process of building neural pathways than jumping power (not to say that the latter doesn't help).
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 11:59:56 PM by Commercial D »

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2010, 04:32:54 AM »
so it took you the length of an entire essay to say that you realized skateboarding is not as hard as you thought it was

grimcity

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • computer says no
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2010, 08:46:50 AM »
A great strategy for overall progression and well-roundedness. But what about pushing forward with whatever you happen to be working onthat day? Breaking barriers? Climing out of a rut, and up the ladder?

I have some days where I get totally focused on a trick... I guess the way I approach it depends on what kind of mindset I'm in. For the most part, if I'm starting out shitty (not landing something I know damned well i can land) I immediately mix it up and try something else I know I can land, then go back to the original trick. If I don't land the new trick, I bounce back and forth between the two (or three or four) tricks until I start landing something on whatever obstacle I'm rolling on. At parks (mainly because there's limited time) I try not to repeat the same attempts over and over, as I'm afraid of drilling my legs with the wrong muscle memory, making the same errors every time. I'll make an attempt, switch to something, then come back to it.

(*snipped for brevity)This again reminds me of what I read in an Andrew Reynolds interview years ago—"Anybody can do any trick. We all have the same legs and skateboards." While quick progression is common in younger skaters, it's almost unheard-of at my age. I suppose my point is that the more we expect from ourselves, the more we're able to deliver, and that improving in skateboarding is more a process of building neural pathways than jumping power (not to say that the latter doesn't help).

I agree 100% with you on the new neural synapse paths vs. flat out physical prowess. I just learned how to do 540 flips a couple of weeks ago (or at least a tre with some added scoop) off of a curb. I can ollie relatively high, but I'm not really a poppy skater for the most part... but I knew I could get the flip if I stayed on it.

Since I was at a spot by myself, I just kept going with it over and over for about 60 tries (and one snapped deck) while trying to adjust to what I was doing wrong and fine tune my movements... anything to get out of the pattern of recreating the same mistake every time.

After the first 20 or 30 tries, I broke it up again... eventually I'd try about 5 of the flips in a row, then every sixth time I'd just do a trick I knew I had every time. It took a while, and it was sketch, but it happened. Now I can get 1 or 2 out of 10, so I'm stoked.

I don't really worry about quick progression, but if my skating hints that I might be able to do a certain trick, I'll give myself a day to experiment with it, and might even sleep on it that first day. If it's not too complicated, I'll come back the next day and claim it with the 5 tries, 1 simple trick, repeat (bring any OCDs you may have).

I'm a kook though, half of my skating is really introverted and focused, the other half is social, loud, and dork tricky.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 08:48:23 AM by grimcity »

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2010, 09:28:31 AM »
haha i am a hater  ;D

grimcity

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • computer says no
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2010, 10:24:50 AM »
^ This type of thread just makes me geek out.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2010, 10:35:27 AM »
i just need to chill out more man. i cant chill when i skate, i always get like 1000 ideas at once and i want to just start trying everything. you only have so much energy to attempt stuff.

also when you land tricks it takes less energy out of you.

so i kind of mix it up in that respect. i usually start the session off with all shit i can land first try like 5050s, 5-0s, nosegrinds, noseslides, boardslides, lipslides, tailslides... then i start doing like frront blunt, 5-0 shove, half cab 5-0, then if that starts going well then ill move on to like something nbd. thats why i like skating curbs so much because i can get to the nbds in no time and it takes like zero energy to pop onto a curb. there are these awesome metal curbs by my new place that i skate at like every day. plus it is sheltered frmo the rain and wind.

grimcity

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • computer says no
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2010, 06:51:25 AM »
...forgot to add, skating with a friend or two is always good. Especially if you're both skating the same obstacle but you have different tricks to bag, super good motivator to have someone there, plus pushing your friend keeps shit moving. Not to mention, it takes longer to get fatigued since you're waiting a turn rather than hitting the same thing over and over without any pause.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2010, 07:03:58 AM »
it is good when you skate with someone you have never skated before and they run a trick that you never dreamed youd be able to do... like say you cant do fs bluntslide then you start skating with this guy and he can just rip them every try... but you have nosegrinds and he doesnt or something... which would never happpen haha but lets say that was the case, once you see that someone that is like close to your level is doing something super easy i think it helps you realize like "shit i CAN totally do this"

grimcity

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • computer says no
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2010, 09:51:00 AM »
^ Hell yeah... trading tricks with the bros.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2010, 10:01:40 AM »
skating curbs is ultimate though. there are these metal curbs by my house i skate them like crazy, i can appreciate skating the most there. i did heel varial to bs 5-0 once no joke. i think i saw marc johnson do that on modus thats where i got the idea. i can almost get it on a regular basis cause i am good at that trick but even still its insanely hard. i dont know how people do like fs shove to bs nosegrind... that is a tough one to catch in the middle... ok im rambling now. i could seriously talk about this forever. this was actually a killer thread dallas i am bummed i made you leave haha

Inanimate Object

« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2010, 03:51:41 PM »
I don't know how much or little I've progressed in the past few years, but I think the biggest thing is just putting in time on the board consistently.  The summer I lived in Montreal I was skating every day, and even though it didn't SEEM like I was learning anything new, I picked up some new stuff and learned to skate faster and probably pop stuff higher. The more you're out there messing with it and thinking about it, the better.
But I've also been at sort of a plateau for quite some time now, because I don't skate "big" stuff, so it's hard for me to gauge if I'm getting better because I'm not hitting bigger spots. Stair counting is a really good way to gauge progression but I'm also not sure how accurate it is.

Narcissus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 301
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2010, 08:34:21 AM »
This thread is pretty sick. I have been getting worse every year since college. I've had a few rugged injuries and started working 9-5. I have lost many tricks, especially those involving switch flips. My ankle can't handle it yet. Have learned a few new ones lately though, just sucking it up and going for it, falling down, etc. Did my firsth switch backside biggie on flat last sunday. Felt really good to land something I've never done before, which we all can agree on, I'm sure.

But yea, I love getting some good flatground and just running games of SKATE with the homies. All new tricks each time, by the the 3rd or 4th game, you are digging deep and that's when it gets really sick.
i saw my grandma bail off a 4 set once in my house and she even got up and came to red lobster after.
Quote from: The Kitten!
get wasted and pass out.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2010, 09:08:11 AM »
its weird i used to skate a lot of stairs and drops and do kickflips and heelflips, and heel varials down some pretty hefty stairs... not anymore haha. i feel like i can still do all those tricks down stairs i just dont feel like trying it at all.  there is this sick "2 block" near my house its basically a six stair and i havent really done much down it but its basicalyl the perfect size to jump down 50 tries and not get too hurt. i used to skate this 4 stair by my house for years and years and that was how i got so good at kcifklips and heelflips down stairs. i cant remember the last time i went there but i remember it took me like 4 or 5 tries to kickflip it haha.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2010, 09:08:47 AM »
but i dont feel like im getting "crappier" cause my grind and manual tricks have gotten way better and a lot more complicated... i think i just took my skating in a completely different direction. got a lot better at bs tricks too

police state

• Rep: 22
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2010, 08:37:10 AM »
im on task to film a video part this year and its led me to believe i am getting crappier at skating. it seems i havent done anything "new" in ages.   the only progression i see is i can do my staple tricks faster and pop them higher and grind longer.
it's okay to hate but you need to apply all hate evenly and fairly.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2010, 12:46:14 PM »
im on task to film a video part this year and its led me to believe i am getting crappier at skating. it seems i havent done anything "new" in ages.   the only progression i see is i can do my staple tricks faster and pop them higher and grind longer.

its weird i sort of feel like im getting better but i find it hard to get stoked on shit nowadays. i have like 10 spots in my neighbourhood that have enver even been hit and there are tons of kids who are totally WAY better than me at skateboarding but i think i can do some of these handrails they are mellow the actual factor for slamming hard is very low because i am really good at fs 5050s and its grass on the other side of the rail. i just need some free time, i think june 1st i might just charge twoards everthnig full steam. there is this fucking amazing ledge in my city that just got built... its very much like the pyramid ledges in new york city. its pretty high, its only frontside, its actually a lot higher than pyramid ledges cause you wouldnt be abel to ollie onto it from flat it drops off almost neck high... it shoots out over a 3 stair. i want to fs bluntslide it man,... i think im going to shave my head too. you only get like 4 tries at it and its soooo slick its brand new and there are no plans to put knobs on it cause there is security there 24/7 but i am like very confident i can do this trick and get stoked on skating again. sorry for the rambling iam just trying to get back in the game and thats whats going through my head right now