Author Topic: African music  (Read 5922 times)

smellsdead

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1226
Re: African music
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2022, 04:37:05 PM »

skate_or_dingus

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 266
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2022, 09:28:51 PM »
 Always wanted a reason to talk about it, but I found this DVD at a bookstore in Montreal back in 2019 and it absolutely destroyed me.
 These motherfuckers are on an ENTIRELY different wavelength. Some of my favourite music ever recorded:

Youoverthere

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 165
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2022, 03:26:17 AM »
Hilarious how yall grouped all these different genres from different countries into just African music. Let’s make a European music thread. I’m so tired of yelling at white walls.

it must be crazy when chico sells you something and the tables switch from "give me my money chico" to "giving my money to chico"

skate_or_dingus

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2022, 12:58:36 PM »
Hilarious how yall grouped all these different genres from different countries into just African music. Let’s make a European music thread. I’m so tired of yelling at white walls.

It's a big fuckin' land mass that I can guarantee most of us aren't too familiar with geographically.
 Sooo sorry we don't appreciate the music THE RIGHT WAY.

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 332
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2022, 08:54:31 PM »

100% agree with all of this

skate_or_dingus

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2022, 07:41:39 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Instead of complaining, why don't you try adding something positive to the discussion?

Zambian psych rock? Northern African/Saharan rock (Inerane, Doueh, Omar Souleyman, etc.)? The heavily percussive folk music of the Burkinabé? FRANCIS BEBEY?!

I'm more than willing to chat about this stuff because I genuinely love it, but you gotta should probably let people like what they like without making this shit into a contentious issue (surprise).

Youoverthere

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 165
« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2022, 09:02:38 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Instead of complaining, why don't you try adding something positive to the discussion?

Zambian psych rock? Northern African/Saharan rock (Inerane, Doueh, Omar Souleyman, etc.)? The heavily percussive folk music of the Burkinabé? FRANCIS BEBEY?!

I'm more than willing to chat about this stuff because I genuinely love it, but you gotta should probably let people like what they like without making this shit into a contentious issue (surprise).
I could add some Ghanaian/ Liberian music, as a I have shit ton of old cassettes from my dad. But why would I share shit with people that don’t even respect the cultural differences or even the differences of genre. Ata Kak and Tsehaytu Beraki have absolutely nothing musical in common besides that they live on the same continent.

it must be crazy when chico sells you something and the tables switch from "give me my money chico" to "giving my money to chico"

S.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 65
    • Fotos avatar image
« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2022, 09:43:27 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
I could add some Ghanaian/ Liberian music, as a I have shit ton of old cassettes from my dad. But why would I share shit with people that don’t even respect the cultural differences or even the differences of genre. Ata Kak and Tsehaytu Beraki have absolutely nothing musical in common besides that they live on the same continent.

Come on share that love! I am shure The people that made the music would be stoked to get new listeners!

I have really been into South African jazz lately.

The groove of this song and the way the theme changes from chants to the melody and back just blows my mind.

This one is great as well!

nicotinewheel

• Rep: -77
« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2022, 03:26:34 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
For one i'd love to learn more about Ghanaian and Liberian music specifically.

I'd humbly add we could be seeing less a lack of respect for specific music styles and cultures and more of a lack of knowledge? I'd guess most posting on the music board in slap are relatively earnest with their posting/interest, in that light maybe education could be more valuable than reproach.