Author Topic: Andy Anderson long rant about stolen trick  (Read 12101 times)

Giocattoli Inutili

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 1
Re: Andy Anderson long rant about stolen trick
« Reply #150 on: January 12, 2024, 09:50:14 AM »
If top tier pros focused on circus tricks instead of street or vert, they could put out circus parts that would be far more impressive than &&'s.  Chris Haslam has already done this.  Wes's street rail darkslide is another one off example.  Most pros don't have an interest in permanently joining the circus.  There is nothing special or great about what Andy is doing.  Rodney, Chris or Daewon are more deserving of those board sale dollars.

Dad Board

« Reply #151 on: January 12, 2024, 09:51:11 AM »
Expand Quote
the current Powell team gives off big Christian youth group vibes to me
[close]
In the mid 1980s, the skateboard industry collectively realized that by framing their products as totems of rebellion, they could capture the birthday dollars of little boys who were too tender or awkward for tackle football.

They started to name their products cool Garbage Pail Kid names like, Bones and Slimeball (and eventually, antihero, creature, deathwish, heroin, and snot..etc etc etc) to solidify this profitable brand position.

People with fragile identities took the position of these products to heart just like people do with brands like Black Rifle Coffe, West Coast Choppers (weird, same Maltese cross logo as Indy), or Harley Davidson…

Football is authentically more dangerous than skateboarding.
Action sports that didn’t take this “outlaw” position (bmx, rollerblading) have seen their fortunes decline.

Rest assured focus groups and mba consultants had a hand in Vans sponsoring Warped Tour or choosing Grosso to tell skateboarding’s history.

Stacey Peralta even made fun of the branding crap in the opening scene of Animal Chin.  Its marketing.  That’s all.  There is nothing intrinsically punk rock about the act of skateboarding.

Some people feel threatened when a brand pivots because of how they have constructed their sense of self (remember the whole Bud Light thing a couple months ago)…but, if it is hard, take your time…maybe drink a Liquid Death.

This needs to be a parody mini doc or wtf are we doing

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1117
« Reply #152 on: January 12, 2024, 09:55:52 AM »
If top tier pros focused on circus tricks instead of street or vert, they could put out circus parts that would be far more impressive than &&'s.  Chris Haslam has already done this.  Wes's street rail darkslide is another one off example.  Most pros don't have an interest in permanently joining the circus.  There is nothing special or great about what Andy is doing.  Rodney, Chris or Daewon are more deserving of those board sale dollars.

This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

let’s go home

• Rep: 35
« Reply #153 on: January 12, 2024, 09:56:19 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
In the mid 1980s, the skateboard industry collectively realized that by framing their products as totems of rebellion, they could capture the birthday dollars of little boys who were too tender or awkward for tackle football.

They started to name their products cool Garbage Pail Kid names like, Bones and Slimeball (and eventually, antihero, creature, deathwish, heroin, and snot..etc etc etc) to solidify this profitable brand position.

People with fragile identities took the position of these products to heart just like people do with brands like Black Rifle Coffe, West Coast Choppers (weird, same Maltese cross logo as Indy), or Harley Davidson…

Action sports that didn’t take this “outlaw” position (bmx, rollerblading) have seen their fortunes decline.

Rest assured focus groups and mba consultants had a hand in Vans sponsoring Warped Tour or choosing Grosso to tell skateboarding’s history.

Stacey Peralta even made fun of the branding crap in the opening scene of Animal Chin.  Its marketing.  That’s all.  There is nothing intrinsically punk rock about the act of skateboarding.

Some people feel threatened when a brand pivots because of how they have constructed their sense of self (remember the whole Bud Light thing a couple months ago)…but, if it is hard, take your time…maybe drink a Liquid Death.
Posts like this are the reason why I come here.

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3290
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #154 on: January 12, 2024, 09:57:47 AM »
Fingers crossed for a new Cirque de Soleil production called Extrembothonia.

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2157
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #155 on: January 12, 2024, 10:46:10 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

If you’re using “punk rock” as synonymous with rebellious, you think that was added in marketing whole-cloth and has no intrinsic link to skate boarding?

Many skateboarders would be exceptional athletes in other traditional sports, though they are generally much (much) smaller than football players.  Foy or Frankie are considered large or fat skateboarders, and they would be the lightest people on the football field by what, 40 lbs? 

Saying that people pickup skateboards because they are too soft for football is silly, though an argument could be made for size playing a factor in diminutive men picking individual sports that favor a smaller body type like skateboarding.

As for the Powell team, they seem to be a group of sub elite pros (in marketability more than skill level) for a variety of reasons, specific to each individual.  This is just who Powell can pull, they’d gladly take some elites if they could, but its 2024 and they’re Powell so it is what it is.

Making a joke that their eccentricities make them seem akin to a group of christian (cult) youth, is just some light humor at their expense, typical of SLAP, nothing more.  I don’t think anyones opinion on Powell has changed much (teir 2/ historical relevant brand) in 20+ years and doubt their team in an affront to anyone’s identity at this point.

Ps.  I think slimeball as the name for bright green liquid urothane cast into a ball shaped wheel is pretty self explainatory.
While we’re on the subject of wheels, somebody should prolly point out that Bones wheels were first introduced in the late 70s, rather than the 80s, as cited by our esteemed colleague @RembrantQeinstein, and they were branded as Bones because of the (at the time) distinctive white urethane compound they were composed of, rather than a desire to seem edgy.
Let’s keep in mind that George had selected the mildest, seemingly least rebellious member of the Zephyr squad as his burgeoning new company’s brand ambassador.
The famous Ray “Bones” Rodriquez pro model sword & skull graphic by VCJ that spawned the eventual use of skeletons/skulls on nearly every Powell graphic (Lance exempted) until Ray Barbee came along, started as a one-of, vato low rider inspired graphic, but for some while the graphics were everything from planes, to tanks, to dragons, to poorly drawn masks (I’m looking at you, Grabke pro model).
Pointing these facts out in the spirit of historical accuracy.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 209
« Reply #156 on: January 12, 2024, 11:48:07 AM »
Skateboarding is exactly like punk rock. Sometimes it’s edgy- if you’re trying to be GG or you’re wrecking someone’s property. But mostly it’s just a fun activity for creative people with no formal training and limited rules of conduct. Why do you think there’s so much overlap between the two scenes?

let’s go home

• Rep: 35
« Reply #157 on: January 12, 2024, 03:10:17 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6Yd8ybdyPI

Ray Barbee’s description of punk is my favourite.

the_dangery_bois

• Rep: 59
« Reply #158 on: January 12, 2024, 03:17:55 PM »

Making a joke that their eccentricities make them seem akin to a group of christian (cult) youth, is just some light humor at their expense, typical of SLAP, nothing more.

Oh, yeah, word, homie.  I didn’t intend any of that to come off personally.  If it did, I apologize. I myself am a weird old punk rocker dude… three fingers are pointing this direction, for sure.

I was mostly just trying to take the piss out of the whole “ this kook with a bad mustache and questionable headwear is ruining skateboarding” thing. 

Cash me out skateboarding

doomstation55

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 865
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • [b]TEAM DOOM MS 2018[/b] avatar image
« Reply #159 on: January 12, 2024, 03:23:01 PM »
As someone who knows very little about punk rock I can safely say Andy Anderson seems like a dork. Also darkslides fucking suck.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 964
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #160 on: January 12, 2024, 03:40:06 PM »
Punk and skatebloarding was happening at the house at the same time as early I I can remember.

I was a Micheal Jackson fan when I started skating. I was 5. I mostly didn't like my cousins mean ass 80s kids who came by the house every day to like jam and write on things kick in walls get hammered. Climb the roof and bomb cars with those inedible green walnut things as they left pond street into the intersection.

The little (red) store was right there. There was always ramps and then later a park right across the street.

They didn't like my shit so I back at them. I fuckin loved the drums tho. Christopher ripped and he was only like 14 15.

When Chris died in 86 at age 17 . Thats when I started pursuing Punk and thrash. His mother my Aunt Judy lived with us and she helped me do it against my father's wishes and caused major problems in the house. In 83 same thing with the banana board. Dad was more than bummed.

Before we moved in right after he died. I went into Christophers room and memorized all the graffiti all the stickers and band logos.

I also got his Indys given to me. I still got one.

Next I had to fight for a bass guitar. (90or91 aunty Judy. Against father's wishes)
Few years on Sk8 tv in 1990.
My brother and I saw Chuck playing all the instruments and skating around.
This was fuckin spiritual to me.

My brother and me are bouncing around on the couch like we're watching WWF or something.

Look at that ripper who's . Making this ripping fuckin sound.

I said DING DING DING! I can play all the instruments. I can teach my brother.

I did all that and more.

Skateboarding doesn't need punk.

When Stacy said that West Coast punk was probably on the down turn.
He's basically said new wave or hip hop will sell skateboards too. It's not just for Big Boys. Everyone can do it.

I'm pretty sure that Stacy was involved in the sk8 tv thing.

Tater and Schmitt was the only cool longboard guys too.

Schmitt rips. I seen it not long ago. We talked about old boards too. I felt like I was like 10. All I kept thinking of was him doing Rock and rolls on that fuckin janky backyard ramp on the long ass yard stick I'm pretty sure it was.

I respect him the highest amongst the living og architects of skateboarding. That video was most kids my age first video. My drummers first video for sure.

Mine was curb dogs. It's probably another reason I love trash and punk.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

fernando the skater

• Rep: 88

sizzle_chest

• Rep: -13
  • Kookin' Ain't Easy
« Reply #162 on: January 12, 2024, 04:52:56 PM »
greco is punk af and he did darkslides
Quote from: EdLawndale on October 13, 2021, 12:03:45 PM
You just became my favorite Slap poster

Colin Robinson

• Rep: 50
  • energy vampire
« Reply #163 on: January 12, 2024, 05:18:16 PM »

Only between the years of 1999 and 2004 according to the official Greco chart:

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1963
« Reply #164 on: January 12, 2024, 06:52:28 PM »
“Hey, look at that guy with the green hair, he’s a punk rocker. He’s even telling everybody. You fuckin hippie!”

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #165 on: January 12, 2024, 07:02:22 PM »
Who we kidding he's more punk than ever. 

Greco makes my favorite content. If I made stuff it'd be similar but different
(A)pl(E)

Merman

• Rep: -40
« Reply #166 on: January 13, 2024, 08:28:01 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Mattel needs to wake the fuck up and make a line of Greco dolls. I would so buy the action Greco Matrix doll.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #167 on: January 13, 2024, 08:34:25 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Mattel needs to wake the fuck up and make a line of Greco dolls. I would so buy the action Greco Matrix doll.

It needs to be made of wood tho. A plastic Grecco seems like not the best idea. There's enough useless plastic on erf
(A)pl(E)

TheDraught

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65249
  • Team -65K
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #168 on: January 13, 2024, 09:31:18 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

If you’re using “punk rock” as synonymous with rebellious, you think that was added in marketing whole-cloth and has no intrinsic link to skate boarding?

Many skateboarders would be exceptional athletes in other traditional sports, though they are generally much (much) smaller than football players.  Foy or Frankie are considered large or fat skateboarders, and they would be the lightest people on the football field by what, 40 lbs? 

Saying that people pickup skateboards because they are too soft for football is silly, though an argument could be made for size playing a factor in diminutive men picking individual sports that favor a smaller body type like skateboarding.

As for the Powell team, they seem to be a group of sub elite pros (in marketability more than skill level) for a variety of reasons, specific to each individual.  This is just who Powell can pull, they’d gladly take some elites if they could, but its 2024 and they’re Powell so it is what it is.

Making a joke that their eccentricities make them seem akin to a group of christian (cult) youth, is just some light humor at their expense, typical of SLAP, nothing more.  I don’t think anyones opinion on Powell has changed much (teir 2/ historical relevant brand) in 20+ years and doubt their team in an affront to anyone’s identity at this point.

Ps.  I think slimeball as the name for bright green liquid urothane cast into a ball shaped wheel is pretty self explainatory.
[close]
While we’re on the subject of wheels, somebody should prolly point out that Bones wheels were first introduced in the late 70s, rather than the 80s, as cited by our esteemed colleague @RembrantQeinstein, and they were branded as Bones because of the (at the time) distinctive white urethane compound they were composed of, rather than a desire to seem edgy.
Let’s keep in mind that George had selected the mildest, seemingly least rebellious member of the Zephyr squad as his burgeoning new company’s brand ambassador.
The famous Ray “Bones” Rodriquez pro model sword & skull graphic by VCJ that spawned the eventual use of skeletons/skulls on nearly every Powell graphic (Lance exempted) until Ray Barbee came along, started as a one-of, vato low rider inspired graphic, but for some while the graphics were everything from planes, to tanks, to dragons, to poorly drawn masks (I’m looking at you, Grabke pro model).

Damn that Grabke board is bad. I never knew he was on Powell, I thought he was done after Santa Cruz.

fernando the skater

• Rep: 88
« Reply #169 on: January 13, 2024, 10:27:27 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

Damn that Grabke board is bad. I never knew he was on Powell, I thought he was done after Santa Cruz.

Powell came first. I recall the order being Powell > Madrid > Santa Cruz

Southernmost

• Rep: 106
« Reply #170 on: January 24, 2024, 09:42:31 AM »
Incoming && rant that he was saving this trick for his part too

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C2dQl4fygBK/?igsh=MWxlNHV6Yjg1azI2Zw==

Southernmost

• Rep: 106
« Reply #171 on: January 24, 2024, 09:46:38 AM »
Sorry to double post but this clip just popped up on my feed. Seems like a subtle diss to && and Glaser.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C2fbQQhRtI4/?igsh=MWxvdzAzbXowZWwyeg==

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3290
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #172 on: January 24, 2024, 12:39:03 PM »
Someone needs to tell this dork tricks aren’t girlfriends you can give purity rings to in order to lock them in as yours 4evr.

Groondor the Orc

• Rep: -106
  • Doper than Joey Bast’s shelltoes
« Reply #173 on: January 24, 2024, 12:55:35 PM »

If top tier pros did that skateboarding would be a lot more interesting and someone would have done the fandangle IRL by now.

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #174 on: January 24, 2024, 01:10:15 PM »
I hereby christen this spot the losercurb

Dad Board

« Reply #175 on: January 24, 2024, 01:38:23 PM »
I hereby christen this spot the losercurb

After seeing placemag’s IG post with it featured today, I back this.