Author Topic: grinding down to the axle  (Read 162462 times)

logjammin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 314
Re: grinding down to the axle
« Reply #540 on: November 25, 2021, 01:35:56 PM »
How long do trucks usually last grinding on that axle? Been skating for most of my life and spoiled myself in my adult years of buying too many new trucks due to the madness, so I've only axled one set of 44's that I still got. Little bit peeking through on one of em, the other truck probably soon. I just retired em thinking they'd probably break next slappy but maybe I'm wrong?

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 494
« Reply #541 on: November 25, 2021, 05:05:01 PM »
I have a set of Indy hollows that are 3/4s through the axle. They didn’t break but bent enough to start coning wheels so they’re retired now.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 974
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #542 on: November 25, 2021, 06:15:34 PM »
How long do trucks usually last grinding on that axle? Been skating for most of my life and spoiled myself in my adult years of buying too many new trucks due to the madness, so I've only axled one set of 44's that I still got. Little bit peeking through on one of em, the other truck probably soon. I just retired em thinking they'd probably break next slappy but maybe I'm wrong?

It all depends on what you are skating and how hard you are grinding, especially on rough or nasty edges.

Some trucks will never get through to axle with the amount of wax and slippery edges or nice coping, but others can burn through a set very quickly if skating super rough or unfinished edges, pool coping, crusty curbs, or anything where the truck metal (axle included) is softer than the material they are grinding.

There is one curb that I know people skate and we don't know what was in the mix when it was poured, but it will eat trucks faster than anything else, no matter what is put on it, as well as it being almost still completely intact while other curbs are very worn down.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 494
« Reply #543 on: November 25, 2021, 09:22:18 PM »
We’ve got a curb like that. I’ve been skating it for 5 years and it’s lost nothing. Another one I skated for a year was toast.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #544 on: November 25, 2021, 10:45:37 PM »
We’ve got a curb like that. I’ve been skating it for 5 years and it’s lost nothing. Another one I skated for a year was toast.

Swiss curbs are like that, must be granite or something. I never thought we‘d get one to grind in the first place but my buddy insisted and waxed it up like a madman, but it ate my trucks in no time. Nice feeling tho.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

Frank and Fred

« Reply #545 on: November 26, 2021, 02:14:27 AM »

Nah. You can still get a shit load of life out of truck if there is only a little axle showing. Keep going! You will likely crack the hanger before you grind through the actual axle. Just keep your eye on any hair line fractures that might develop. When the hangar cracks and bends... then you are done...

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 787
« Reply #546 on: November 26, 2021, 07:41:20 PM »

just hit axle on these 2 month old ventures.  kinda bummed on blowing through trucks so fast
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

Allen.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 695
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #547 on: November 26, 2021, 07:45:27 PM »
It’s been a minute since I hit axle, but I went through a ply semi-recently:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CPgvXfql9KU/?utm_medium=copy_link
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #548 on: November 26, 2021, 08:02:56 PM »

just hit axle on these 2 month old ventures.  kinda bummed on blowing through trucks so fast

These newer ones grind down quicker for sure.
Which I need, because I buy trucks too often.
Definitely more disposable

notacrediblewitness

• Rep: 4
« Reply #549 on: November 28, 2021, 07:53:05 AM »
My indy forged/hollow 159's retired after 2 years of use. Lots of slappy and ledge skating on Canadian crust.

logjammin

• Rep: 314
« Reply #550 on: November 30, 2021, 02:38:17 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Nah. You can still get a shit load of life out of truck if there is only a little axle showing. Keep going! You will likely crack the hanger before you grind through the actual axle. Just keep your eye on any hair line fractures that might develop. When the hangar cracks and bends... then you are done...

Thanks man, I'm still retiring them because I'm back on Indy's. 159's...the width is really nice. Tempted to go up to 169's now.

EXTRA SPICY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 323
  • Low Scovilles
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #551 on: December 01, 2021, 08:58:42 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

It all depends on what you are skating and how hard you are grinding, especially on rough or nasty edges.

Some trucks will never get through to axle with the amount of wax and slippery edges or nice coping, but others can burn through a set very quickly if skating super rough or unfinished edges, pool coping, crusty curbs, or anything where the truck metal (axle included) is softer than the material they are grinding.

There is one curb that I know people skate and we don't know what was in the mix when it was poured, but it will eat trucks faster than anything else, no matter what is put on it, as well as it being almost still completely intact while other curbs are very worn down.

I’ve been curious about that mix as well, and have even asked some local masonry supply places if there is a steel epoxy component available. Turns out there is, but it is not often used on street infrastructure such as curbs. The best advice I got was that certain mixes source their sand elsewhere, and it might be a more abrasive sand component.

I will say that loading dock angle iron ledges are hanger hungry as well, especially on crooks.
We need Malto to release the pic of Biebel drunk in an elevator with his wiener hanging out.

jgonzalez

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 752
  • no not never. looser.
    • JGonz4ever avatar image
« Reply #552 on: August 22, 2022, 10:28:38 AM »

First time on thunders in over a decade. They were pretty good.  Plenty of life left in the axles with some solid grooves. Kinda bummed the bushings split on both trucks so now they’re loose and the kingpins are so ground down can’t change the bushings but hey something has gotta breakdown first.

nothing's been the since same

Mike Oxwelling

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
« Reply #553 on: August 22, 2022, 01:01:02 PM »
Haven't bought new trucks in over 15 years without hitting the axle first.

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1274
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #554 on: August 22, 2022, 02:15:12 PM »
Congrats on being a sensible functioning person and not a lunatic wondering what a different truck will do for you at all times like me.

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1444
« Reply #555 on: August 22, 2022, 02:47:08 PM »

This is the way

FUBAR

• Rep: 231
« Reply #556 on: August 22, 2022, 04:08:04 PM »
I agree with the thought newer Ventures grind down fast. Just hit axle in less than a year of skating 1-2 times a week for 1-2 hr sessions each time. Still plenty of life tho.

Boog

• Rep: 190
« Reply #557 on: August 23, 2022, 03:34:56 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Congrats on being a sensible functioning person and not a lunatic wondering what a different truck will do for you at all times like me.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 652
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #558 on: September 07, 2022, 08:08:21 AM »

did this in about 20 weeks of skating
ONTARIO CANADA

goldfishboot

• Rep: 144
« Reply #559 on: September 07, 2022, 12:29:38 PM »

retired thunder 151s. both pics are of the back truck. tried to break em, but I aint strong enough. was feebling on the bushing and had to call it quits.. when the gear isn't letting you do specific tricks anymore it's time for it to be done as much as you want to kill em completely

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1084
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #560 on: November 11, 2022, 05:09:49 PM »

If I had to guess, I’d say I’m more than halfway through the hollow axle. Riding em until something breaks…

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #561 on: November 11, 2022, 11:02:29 PM »

If I had to guess, I’d say I’m more than halfway through the hollow axle. Riding em until something breaks…

Gnarly, can we get a pic from above pls?
why come?

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
« Reply #562 on: November 12, 2022, 01:32:57 AM »

This is so fucking beautiful. I'd frame it

Sondor

• Rep: 60
« Reply #563 on: November 12, 2022, 03:41:22 AM »
For your viewing pleasure

Now I have to retire my venture 6.1's, that I set up this January.
I think the newly learned front slappies ate them mostly.
See me in the thunder thread next time

Dirty Douggie

• Rep: 11
« Reply #564 on: November 12, 2022, 03:51:02 AM »

Did you set up your rails in a non symetric way ? Is it of some help for certain tricks ? Just out of curiosity...

Maccat

• Rep: 78
« Reply #565 on: November 12, 2022, 03:53:45 AM »

These joints look like they got melted by the sun. So sick.

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1084
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #566 on: November 12, 2022, 08:00:33 AM »

Added some photos, included front truck as well which is also down to axle. @Easy Slider

@Dirty Douggie honestly just probably put them on uneven. Wasn’t a “choice” lol

@goodatmeth i’m going to wall mount these on a plaque whenever they die

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #567 on: November 12, 2022, 08:56:08 AM »

Added some photos, included front truck as well which is also down to axle. @Easy Slider

@Dirty Douggie honestly just probably put them on uneven. Wasn’t a “choice” lol

@goodatmeth i’m going to wall mount these on a plaque whenever they die

Cheers bruh!
why come?

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1537
  • Overweight and Underprepared
« Reply #568 on: November 15, 2022, 06:35:00 PM »
Looking at trucks you've ground down provides the same level of satisfaction as looking at a cream pie you made

"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate

Steely Daniel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 456
« Reply #569 on: November 15, 2022, 06:41:13 PM »
Anyone else grind down to the pivot cup on nose slides

Nice I only had to go back one page to find what I was looking for in this regard.

I'm still pretty far away but just starting to get through the extra bolt pattern. I'll definitely achieve this before grinding the hangers to the axle since I only grind buttery steel coping and I can't find a concrete ledge to save my life, nor do I know how to do slappies so yeah... I'll be back 1000 noseslides later.