Author Topic: New Oakland Skate Plaza  (Read 6596 times)

crest

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -140
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: New Oakland Skate Plaza
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2010, 02:09:33 PM »

RightCoastBiased

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -56
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2010, 02:26:13 PM »
Damn that place looks sick! I was going to start a separate thread but maybe you guys can help me out here. I'm moving to Berkeley or possibly oakland this next month with a friend and was hoping that some peeps could help me with info on mellow areas to live...and...where to get a job hahaha I'm leaning toward Berkeley cuz I've spent more time there and there seems to be good spots and mellow vibes all-around. We're trying to rent a house down there and I have a red-nose pit/lab mix (65 lbs.) that is so sweet but very high energy, any of you bay area pals with pets of this size? I started crying like a figureless, dateless 18 year old girl on prom night a few days ago thinking about having to give him up, cuz from what I've seen online, about 1/18th% of the places will allow a dog to be over 25 pounds.  I don't know anyone who can take him in either. I've been checking out like yelp.com and ish like that, but I always gotta come to the slap pals for some good info! Thanks doods, any help is greatly appreciated!  

Berkeley for sure. Finding a place that takes pets is real hard to find. I looked for the 3 years that I lived there because I wanted to get a dog and I had no luck. And some of the places that do take dogs are pretty run down. You might have better chances in Oakland finding a spot in oakland that takes dogs. If you're looking in oakland I'd stay away from any area that isn't north oakland/temescal or lake merit. Also check out emeryville, they have a lot of places for rent.

sweets

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 5
  • but(t) fuck, who's keeping track?
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2010, 03:12:32 PM »
FUCK CALIFORNIA AND ALL THIS SHIT !!!!!!!!

NJ PLEASE GET ON THE BALL
Never going to happen. Our liability laws suck. Could you imagine having to wear a helmet "street" skating?
"instead of typing out some dumb reply to this post, go make some art, smell your own body, mate with your own hand, take a picture of your penis when it is in half-boner-mode and post it on slap." Tony

Acrid Avid Jam Shred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -156
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2010, 03:41:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
sick, anyone know if this things ever getting built in austin: http://www.newlineskateparks.com/Projects/Featured.aspx?r=British%20Columbia&p=113

or has anyone been to this one: http://www.newlineskateparks.com/projects/Projects.aspx?c=United%20States&r=&p=126

i'd really love to skate a newline park. grind line licks balls
[close]

I can't figure out if the cedar park one is open yet, do you know?

As for house park, uhhhhh, the city is being an asshole supposedly they don't have enough money right now to start construction or something. I sent an email to Newline, the people that are building it but they never wrote back. It sucks.
[close]

the googling i did seemed to indicate that cedar park is partially done and open. sounded like the street course was done and the photos showed the street course.

bummer about house park. that thing looks nice. any idea what area of town that is?

i was thinking about checking out round rock but it doesn't look that great and seems like it'd be packed with kids.

round rock can be fun but it gets extremely packed, go on weekdays or sunday morning when all the dumbass kids are in church.

house park is downtown, right by No-comply.

Ryantology

• Rep: 1
  • thingsgetweird.
    • thingsgetweird avatar image
« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2010, 07:18:23 PM »
It's definitely not in a great area but it's not THAT sketchy due to being in the parking lot of a pretty nice youth center.

ticklefingers

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • middleweight lurker
« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2010, 09:23:48 PM »
It's definitely not in a great area but it's not THAT sketchy due to being in the parking lot of a pretty nice youth center.

its fenced in too.

i'm hearing rumors of lights too.

leftcoast415

• Rep: -2
« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2010, 09:43:33 PM »
so stoked for this  ;D ;D

Gomez

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -441
« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2010, 11:15:42 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

its fenced in too.

i'm hearing rumors of lights too.

would you wanna be there after dark?

LowLifeCult

• Rep: 0
    • lowlifecult.tumblr.com avatar image
« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2010, 10:40:45 AM »
The parks sick, Talked to the owners of Youth uprising next door and they are shooting for a summer opening. The fence sucks to climb right now. Basketball court in the east next to a skatepark is the worst idea since bad ideas. Someones gonna get killed at the park. But besides all that, already had a couple sessions and the park is fun as hell.
lowlifecult.tumblr.com
510skateboarding.com
kingshitmag.com

Acrid Avid Jam Shred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2010, 10:54:01 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
sick, anyone know if this things ever getting built in austin: http://www.newlineskateparks.com/Projects/Featured.aspx?r=British%20Columbia&p=113

or has anyone been to this one: http://www.newlineskateparks.com/projects/Projects.aspx?c=United%20States&r=&p=126

i'd really love to skate a newline park. grind line licks balls
[close]

I can't figure out if the cedar park one is open yet, do you know?

As for house park, uhhhhh, the city is being an asshole supposedly they don't have enough money right now to start construction or something. I sent an email to Newline, the people that are building it but they never wrote back. It sucks.
[close]

the googling i did seemed to indicate that cedar park is partially done and open. sounded like the street course was done and the photos showed the street course.

bummer about house park. that thing looks nice. any idea what area of town that is?

i was thinking about checking out round rock but it doesn't look that great and seems like it'd be packed with kids.
[close]

round rock can be fun but it gets extremely packed, go on weekdays or sunday morning when all the dumbass kids are in church.

house park is downtown, right by No-comply.
update:
New City of Austin Skate Park update: Construction for the new plaza-style sk8 park to be built at the Austin Rec Center at 1301 Shoal Creek, will hopefully begin in July 2010. Completion possibly Dec 2010-Jan 2011.

heckler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2010, 11:00:31 AM »
Looks like a lot of fun, I'm glad to see a few transition elements in there too.
Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 264
  • tiger style
« Reply #41 on: May 11, 2010, 11:02:04 AM »
wait, so does that mean that the house park will be built by then and be on shoal creek?

this park: http://www.spaskateparks.com/content.cfm?cid=3753

i definitely want to check that out

Acrid Avid Jam Shred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #42 on: May 11, 2010, 08:27:56 PM »
wait, so does that mean that the house park will be built by then and be on shoal creek?

this park: http://www.spaskateparks.com/content.cfm?cid=3753

i definitely want to check that out

That little short one block cut-away it's on from Lamar to 12th is technically called shoal creek too,

so yes It's in still in the same spot as planned at the rec center.

Goblinshark

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 100
  • It's a trap!
« Reply #43 on: May 11, 2010, 08:44:12 PM »
I will be making a trip there sometime this week for certain
Stephen Alcala: chris cole anit a loser
Stephen Alcala: frank grewer is an alcholic
Stephen Alcala: LOSER

lem

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 171
« Reply #44 on: May 12, 2010, 12:13:11 AM »
 :-\

I really wish all this talk of sketchy areas was not apparent. Sketchy talk about sketchy areas sketches me out. Bro. Once it opens, I'm hoping for some "This place is not sketchy. Everyone is really friendly and they hand out free ice cream cones on the daily." I love ice cream.

dimitri

• Rep: -3
« Reply #45 on: May 12, 2010, 01:25:04 AM »
I like the kicker to kicker. <3
Because it's something I can skate.. somewhat.

Mullet Man

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -424
« Reply #46 on: May 12, 2010, 06:47:45 AM »
I need to move somewhere that has a street plaza. Are you still a barney if you're at a street park?

Nah, you're only a barney if you still us the term "barney".

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 264
  • tiger style
« Reply #47 on: May 12, 2010, 07:39:10 AM »
I need to move somewhere that has a street plaza. Are you still a barney if you're at a street park?

if you fall trying a new trick, have more than 2 lines and can ollie on flat then you're not a barney

Inbred Jed

« Reply #48 on: May 12, 2010, 10:18:37 AM »
Turtle: Stay loose, haole.
Rick: What's a haole?
Turtle: A tourist, a mainlander, like you.
Rick: I'm not a tourist.
Turtle: Whatever, Barney.
Rick: What's a Barney?
Turtle: It's like Barno... Barnyard... a haole to the max, a kook in and out of the water. Yeah?

luke_gardner

• Rep: -40
  • Chicagoooo
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #49 on: May 12, 2010, 10:24:02 AM »
Rick: I'm not a tourist.
Turtle: Whatever, Barney.
Rick: What's a Barney?
Turtle: It's like Barno... Barnyard... a haole to the max, a kook in and out of the water. Yeah?
never heard anyone say barney before

that may qualify me for barney probation, shiiittt.

sweets

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 5
  • but(t) fuck, who's keeping track?
« Reply #50 on: May 12, 2010, 10:25:13 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

if you fall trying a new trick, have more than 2 lines and can ollie on flat then you're not a barney

Phew. Still escaping barnacles.
"instead of typing out some dumb reply to this post, go make some art, smell your own body, mate with your own hand, take a picture of your penis when it is in half-boner-mode and post it on slap." Tony

get some

• Rep: 47
  • fromthewombtothetombpresumetheunpredictable
« Reply #51 on: May 12, 2010, 12:14:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Damn that place looks sick! I was going to start a separate thread but maybe you guys can help me out here. I'm moving to Berkeley or possibly oakland this next month with a friend and was hoping that some peeps could help me with info on mellow areas to live...and...where to get a job hahaha I'm leaning toward Berkeley cuz I've spent more time there and there seems to be good spots and mellow vibes all-around. We're trying to rent a house down there and I have a red-nose pit/lab mix (65 lbs.) that is so sweet but very high energy, any of you bay area pals with pets of this size? I started crying like a figureless, dateless 18 year old girl on prom night a few days ago thinking about having to give him up, cuz from what I've seen online, about 1/18th% of the places will allow a dog to be over 25 pounds.  I don't know anyone who can take him in either. I've been checking out like yelp.com and ish like that, but I always gotta come to the slap pals for some good info! Thanks doods, any help is greatly appreciated!  
[close]

Berkeley for sure. Finding a place that takes pets is real hard to find. I looked for the 3 years that I lived there because I wanted to get a dog and I had no luck. And some of the places that do take dogs are pretty run down. You might have better chances in Oakland finding a spot in oakland that takes dogs. If you're looking in oakland I'd stay away from any area that isn't north oakland/temescal or lake merit. Also check out emeryville, they have a lot of places for rent.

thanks for the info, dude!
say they ain't no gravity up there....mean we could get high and never come down....

cops keep firing

• Rep: 63
« Reply #52 on: May 12, 2010, 02:38:27 PM »
i just creamed my pants.
I mean, if the creator of the universe is truly concerned with where you put your penis, then surely he has an opinion on who had the best part in Fully Flared.

Hstreeter

« Reply #53 on: May 12, 2010, 03:41:52 PM »
i just jizzed. put in a mini and some banks and ill live there

Bubblegum Tate

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1042
  • Slap's Resident Sneakerhead
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #54 on: May 14, 2010, 04:29:59 PM »
Ethan Bubblegum Tate - Captain of the Harlem Globetrotters, lecturer of Physics at Globetrotter University.
Tate is one of the best posters that's not me

luke_gardner

• Rep: -40
  • Chicagoooo
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #55 on: May 14, 2010, 07:22:34 PM »
damn. that place looks like an absolute fucking blast. i hope it does good things for the supposedly shit neighborhood around it.

Gomez

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #56 on: May 15, 2010, 02:11:49 AM »
:-\

I really wish all this talk of sketchy areas was not apparent. Sketchy talk about sketchy areas sketches me out. Bro. Once it opens, I'm hoping for some "This place is not sketchy. Everyone is really friendly and they hand out free ice cream cones on the daily." I love ice cream.
i too am feeling quite bitch mode when it comes to this park. i've heard nothing but horrible things about east oakland, never been to that part of the city as long as i've lived in the bay area (about five years). that thrasher post didn't help, i clicked it solely hoping to read that "you'll be fine as long as you keep to yourself and not be super obnoxious and loud".

Goblinshark

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 100
  • It's a trap!
« Reply #57 on: May 15, 2010, 05:38:26 PM »
Just went there today! Yea there were sketchy looking people walking around, and some guy was yelling excitedly at everyone from through the fence, but it was a good vibe overall. Over the course of an hour, some dudes destroyed the bank to bank gap with some guy almost nollie inward big heeling it. The ground is smooth and the ledges are legit so I'd say skate it now before it becomes crowded every day.

Also, when I got there, a gate was open so you could walk (or drive) right in next to it. However, sometimes during my session, the gate was locked and some people had parked in there and couldn't get out and I had to hop that unpleasant fence, so be forewarned
Stephen Alcala: chris cole anit a loser
Stephen Alcala: frank grewer is an alcholic
Stephen Alcala: LOSER

happy face

• Rep: -55
« Reply #58 on: May 16, 2010, 04:42:22 AM »
shits fun. downtown oakland at night is better.  no matter what.

Gomez

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #59 on: May 17, 2010, 12:18:01 AM »
thanks for the reassurance goblinshark. i'm gonna try to hit up this park sometime soon. i think i'll be back skating again in like three weeks so sometime around then. hopefully it's not too crowded by then.