Author Topic: Why is Bonus Footage so good?  (Read 3158 times)

sk8fool

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -30
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Why is Bonus Footage so good?
« on: June 16, 2010, 03:40:17 AM »
Recently i've been really puzzled as to why so much good bonus footage doesn't make the final cut for videos. i.e. Mindfield, Fun, State of Mind etc. Do they purposely leave over good stuff for raw parts or don't they think it's good enough.

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2561
Re: Why is Bonus Footage so good?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2010, 04:10:05 AM »
They probably don't want to make parts too long or maybe it's a question of aesthetics, i.e. same trick at two different spots, one looks better so it goes in the part and the other one goes into extras, etc...
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

Mr.Blonde

• Rep: -150
  • "Your fucking with my z-rollers"
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2010, 04:58:16 AM »
i dont think you realize how easy it is to "accidently" leave out, or not capture footy, filmers/editors are just as lazy as some of the filmers they film, ... especially when the tapes start stacking up

he is not a role model. he's not paid to be a role model. he's paid to wreak havoc on his skateboard. parents should be role models. just because he rides a skateboard doesn't mean he should raise your kids.

sk8fool

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2010, 05:06:22 AM »
i dont think you realize how easy it is to "accidently" leave out, or not capture footy, filmers/editors are just as lazy as some of the filmers they film, ... especially when the tapes start stacking up

You mean skaters.

Anyways it's easy to understand that may be the case with some tricks but overall I think a lot of thought goes into the final product. Basically any footage is good footage. If it wasn't good I don't think they would even put it in bonus features now that I think about it.

ilovecotg

• Rep: -7
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2010, 05:29:03 AM »
I initially thought you meant why is the bonus footage so good to watch and I was going to say cause it's usually just raw footage put together simply without all the boring cutaways, slo mo's and generally average song. I usually like the bonus sections more than the actual movie.

Inbred Jed

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2010, 07:40:44 AM »
They need to cut out some tricks so they have more time for one of those long, boring, pointless intros.

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2010, 08:40:59 AM »
they ahve to cut out tricks that dont mesh properly, msic, scenery, terrain or whatever, so us7ually you can see some cool different stuff in the extras, I love extra footage with no music.

gandzha

• Rep: -12
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2010, 11:04:34 AM »
They need to cut out some tricks so they have more time for one of those long, boring, pointless intros.
This applies only for Mind Field

MrDreamPop

• Rep: -86
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2010, 11:10:46 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
no, it applies to every video ever except tiltmode flicks
life poser

BriDen

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2010, 11:11:30 AM »
Trio was the worst recent one I can remember. Oh and the Flip video.

scorpion1001

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 40
  • All Hail Carroll
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2010, 11:29:04 AM »
theres different reasons for different videos, for example alot of arto's bonus footage for mind field was from his flip days, where it was blatantly obvious - logo on a shirt or something

palmtree12233

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2010, 02:53:22 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
have you seen the blueprint video?

jgj

• Rep: -4
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2010, 02:56:08 PM »
Trio was the worst recent one I can remember. Oh and the Flip video.
I liked the intros in trio, thought they were pretty funny

sprayTAN101

• SLAP Pal
  • thats a sweet tan bro.
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2010, 03:33:10 PM »
no music!!!!

just pure skating, no potentially shitty music ruining otherwise great skating... and its more laidback, not hyped

"lifestyle scorpion dude..."

MrDreamPop

• Rep: -86
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2010, 08:40:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]
have you seen the blueprint video?
i don't really count mackey's part as an intro because it would have done well in the middle of the flick with the rest of the skaters.  that part was sick as fuck by the way
life poser

Mr.Blonde

• Rep: -150
  • "Your fucking with my z-rollers"
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2010, 09:12:45 PM »
i thought this thread would be about how perfect of a video Anti Hero's Bonus Footage is
he is not a role model. he's not paid to be a role model. he's paid to wreak havoc on his skateboard. parents should be role models. just because he rides a skateboard doesn't mean he should raise your kids.

dankradschwag

« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2010, 11:28:30 PM »
Some shit just doesn't flow with the part, and sometimes they film a trick only to do it on something bigger later, so they don't use that shit, too.

mandibleclaw

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 560
  • "RIP to myself one day." -jereme rogers
    • mandible claw avatar image
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2010, 12:19:53 AM »
Some shit just doesn't flow with the part, and sometimes they film a trick only to do it on something bigger later, so they don't use that shit, too.
yeah, a line might be sick but it's just too long for the spaces left in a part, or there's a good back tail but the guy already has two of them already, or....  sometimes there's great footage but it doesn't fit, simple as that.
We are a noble sport more noble than any other

toque

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 122
    • Portmanteau avatar image
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2010, 02:35:18 AM »

wheee!

Zurg

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2010, 10:34:09 AM »

If you still had a copy of Myst, you'd be distracted too

Chris P. Bacon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -113
  • CA All Day
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2010, 10:42:51 AM »

lost footy is probably a big factor, not capturing footage after you get it and forgetting too do it. stacking footy good for skaters but not good for filmers haha

BitchTits

« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2010, 10:44:56 AM »
i thought this thread would be about how perfect of a video Anti Hero's Bonus Footage is
Speaking of Anti-Hero, I was so glad when I saw the bonus footage for Tent City. I was ready to break my TV. Those guys are fucking amazing at skateboarding and I respect them, but I can't stand listening to them talk...except for Gerwer. Listening to them talk was almost as lame as this:
http://www.vbs.tv/watch/shot-by-kern/sasha-grey

dylan makes me wet

• Rep: -32
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2010, 10:51:17 AM »
see what i've always wanted companies to do. is that when they release their full length dvd as one of the extras just put together loads of the throwaway and offcuts because,i don't know if it's just me, but i would still like to see some skaters warm up footage or mess around lines as it would still get me stoked and give me more for my money,even if it isn't much. especially for a video like mfwtcb where they've been filming for 5 years so must have loads of good footage left over and not used just because it's too old and got pushed out by newer stuff.

few123456789

« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2010, 03:00:30 PM »
see what i've always wanted companies to do. is that when they release their full length dvd as one of the extras just put together loads of the throwaway and offcuts because,i don't know if it's just me, but i would still like to see some skaters warm up footage or mess around lines as it would still get me stoked and give me more for my money,even if it isn't much. especially for a video like mfwtcb where they've been filming for 5 years so must have loads of good footage left over and not used just because it's too old and got pushed out by newer stuff.

What are you talking about?  Pros always land their tricks.  Haven't you seen First Try Fridays?

dylan makes me wet

• Rep: -32
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2010, 06:06:04 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

What are you talking about?  Pros always land their tricks.  Haven't you seen First Try Fridays?
what are youtalking about
your comment makes no sense

H8R part 4

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -301
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2010, 09:00:22 AM »
its not so much the clips but the music that makes the extra/bonus footage better IMO.
they usually use a feel good song that everyone knows and it makes people smile while they are watching it.

few123456789

« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2010, 03:15:42 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
what are youtalking about
your comment makes no sense

Just being sarcastic.  My guess is they film like 3 First Try Fridays a week because half the dudes don't land their tricks.

3base

• Rep: 2
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2010, 03:55:54 AM »
Don't know about anyone else but I usually like the 'friends' section the most.