Author Topic: Copenhagen  (Read 3598 times)

Hash Slinging Slasher

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
Copenhagen
« on: October 25, 2013, 02:30:42 PM »
I'm trying to study abroad in CPH probably some time during next year and was just wondering what people have to say about the place? I found a website that has a map of a bunch of skate spots in the city, so I'm basically set on that. I was more just wondering about it in general. I can go fall, spring, or summer, so when's the best time to go? Thanks for any help.

Monty Burns

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -325
  • Release the hounds
Re: Copenhagen
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2013, 03:06:05 PM »
City is great , nice spots , nice women , nice clubs and bars , nice restaurants . Abit expensive but it is the capital .

Spring and summer is always best for skateboarding . not to sound mean but its kinda obvious that spring and summer are good times for skateboarding . I mean even countries that have warm climate all year round  are usually better in spring and summer time

Anyways Sweden , Denmark , Norway , Iceland and Finland are all great countries with pretty much all things

Moist

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 10
  • Deaf and Dumb
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2013, 03:40:54 PM »
Copenhagen is one of my favourite cities to visit in Europe. Just try and save up as much cash as possible or try and look for jobs before you get over there as it is very expensive.

Make sure to hit up Christiania, smoke some weed, eat a space cake and mong out with the locals.

Go swimming in the canal that runs through the city on hot days. You'll see quite a lot of young people drinking and soaking up the sun.

Hash Slinging Slasher

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2013, 07:04:59 PM »
What's the ground like there? Does it get rough from the winters or do they do a good job with upkeep?

RoedGroed

• Rep: 60
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2013, 10:43:17 AM »
It can get pretty rough, but mostly its ok. It depends on what you are used too. I found the ground of NY to be somewhat the same as around here. Maybe a bit better here in general!

Hash Slinging Slasher

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2013, 02:07:31 PM »
It can get pretty rough, but mostly its ok. It depends on what you are used too. I found the ground of NY to be somewhat the same as around here. Maybe a bit better here in general!
Ok, thanks. I'm from New England so I'm sure it's similar.

Hash Slinging Slasher

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2013, 02:14:49 PM »
Oh, and what is there for skateshops in the city? Which one(s) should I go too for the best selection, service, etc.?

RoedGroed

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2013, 02:25:13 PM »
www.streetmachine.dk for sure! 2 stories and its one of the realest skateshops ever. Tight people and team, and the top floor has an amazing board wall.

Hash Slinging Slasher

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2013, 06:13:39 PM »
www.streetmachine.dk for sure! 2 stories and its one of the realest skateshops ever. Tight people and team, and the top floor has an amazing board wall.
Thanks a lot man! I'm guessing you're from Denmark, maybe even Copenhagen? Are there any other miscellaneous things you have to say about the city and the surrounding area? If I do end up going I'll be staying 15-60 minutes outside CPH. Any advice on learning Danish?
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 06:15:48 PM by Hash Slinging Slasher »

RoedGroed

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2013, 12:52:05 AM »
Yeah, im from Denmark. Im from Aarhus though, 2nd largest city here, but I visit copenhagen all the time. The Danish scene is really tight, so everybody travels a lot around to skate with each other.

Copenhagen is sick, they also recently got F?lledparken remodeled, and it turned out pretty sick. You wanna check out Jarmers Plads as well, its one of the best real street plazas that you can actually skate all day without getting kicked out. Its one of those real meet up spots.

Staying a bit outside of copenhagen shouldnt be a real problem, getting around is fairly easy, especially on bike since everything is flat!

Learning Danish is a bitch though, its said to be one of the hardest languages to learn. Depending on you stay, you can definitely learn something. A friend of mine moved here from SF, he has a danish girlfriend, and he understands most and speaks a little bit after two years.

But any questions just ask, ill do my best to answer.

Oh yeah, and check out our magazine www.wdbm.dk - its our news website, but you can find some of the magazines online under"bladene" - there is a new one coming out this november/december! The magazine is about the danish skatescene and mostly features danish spots/skaters, but always with some pro interview, favorite thing or whatever.

Hash Slinging Slasher

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2013, 07:02:06 AM »
Yeah, im from Denmark. Im from Aarhus though, 2nd largest city here, but I visit copenhagen all the time. The Danish scene is really tight, so everybody travels a lot around to skate with each other.

Copenhagen is sick, they also recently got F?lledparken remodeled, and it turned out pretty sick. You wanna check out Jarmers Plads as well, its one of the best real street plazas that you can actually skate all day without getting kicked out. Its one of those real meet up spots.

Staying a bit outside of copenhagen shouldnt be a real problem, getting around is fairly easy, especially on bike since everything is flat!

Learning Danish is a bitch though, its said to be one of the hardest languages to learn. Depending on you stay, you can definitely learn something. A friend of mine moved here from SF, he has a danish girlfriend, and he understands most and speaks a little bit after two years.

Oh yeah, and check out our magazine www.wdbm.dk - its our news website, but you can find some of the magazines online under"bladene" - there is a new one coming out this november/december! The magazine is about the danish skatescene and mostly features danish spots/skaters, but always with some pro interview, favorite thing or whatever.
Awesome. Thanks for all the info. You've already proven to be a valuable resource. I'm taking German right now in school and I've been told told it might help a little bit with understanding Danish. Does getting kicked out of spots happen often? This might be a dumb question, but would it be kind of hard to get in to the scene there being a foreigner and if it's so tight knit. Do you guys like Americans? Also, is Nansensgade as cool and fun to skate as it looks?

RoedGroed

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2013, 07:18:14 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Awesome. Thanks for all the info. You've already proven to be a valuable resource. I'm taking German right now in school and I've been told told it might help a little bit with understanding Danish. Does getting kicked out of spots happen often? This might be a dumb question, but would it be kind of hard to get in to the scene there being a foreigner and if it's so tight knit. Do you guys like Americans? Also, is Nansensgade as cool and fun to skate as it looks?

Yeah, German might help a bit. Some of the words are kinda similar. I dont understand German at all though, but some of the words rings a bell you know. It could help!

Getting kicked out doesnt happen too often. Denmark isn't too big on the skatestopper/kick out scene. Sometimes it happens or at certain spots you know, but we usually dont have too many problems, and we are a good crew who almost only skate street (besides the 6 months in an indoor park because of our wack climate).

I dont think getting into a crew or the scene in general is going to be a problem at all, as long as you know how to interact with people and isnt a dick haha. Everybody speaks english fairly well.

And yes, Nansensgade is amazingly fun! It can get kinda boring since there is no straight curb/ledge or anything, but its almost as if it is a skatepark, even though its not! Copenhagen has an amazing amount of sick spots. Check out SEB too, you have definitely seen it in videoes over these last couple of years. (again a streetspot that looks like a park haha)