Author Topic: obama endorses mosque at ground zero  (Read 17156 times)

Tyroneshoelaces

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -601
  • who knows
obama endorses mosque at ground zero
« on: August 13, 2010, 06:53:03 PM »
where is home?

Beer Keg Peg Leg

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -35
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: obama endorses mosque at ground zero
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2010, 07:11:54 PM »

Skwisgaar Skwigelf

• Rep: 10000
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2010, 07:49:19 PM »
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100814/ap_on_go_pr_wh/us_ground_zero_mosque_obama

Thoughts?  Reactions?  awesome?  not awesome?
No need to be in an uproar. It wasn't even Arabs that did it, anyway...  ::)
So pretty pointless.
or maybe its because your fist has to first be purified in the waters of lake minnetonka before it can touch dylons.

Scallywag crew!

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2010, 08:23:52 PM »
I think it is a great positive step. It got pretty scary with Bush and his followers screaming about how the U.S. is a "Christian nation." There still are fucking pricks trying to block the building of mosques at places nowhere near ground zero. Its good to see that our current president is standing behind the religious pluralism this country was founded upon.
I think all religions are pretty dumb, but I also think that all people should have an equal right to act silly if they aren't hurting anybody. Repression of religious practice is the first step on a sketchy path.

Also, it should be pointed out that the mosque is actually being built at the sight of an old burlington coat factory, not actually on ground zero. Also, two blocks in New York is like 5 miles in a small town, considering how packed the whole city is.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

El Venado Zombi

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2010, 08:41:05 PM »
I can see how some people might find it insensitive, but disagree with them. People have the right to build a mosque, church, temple, Scientology institution, etc. wherever it's legal.

I hope that this leads to more tolerance, and no violence from the bigots who oppose it.

Sadly, I'm willing to bet that we'll see more shit like this:

GnArcIsSisTic

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2010, 08:43:37 PM »
is everyone a bigot if they oppose the building of a mosque near ground zero? i'm just wondering. i'm sure gipper will take time out of his other arguments on this board to provide for me a lengthy paragraph.

Albatross

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2010, 08:45:15 PM »
funny yahoo comments time, apparently its cool to call him osama now

"Obama just showed his true color. He is not only a racist, a coward and a communist, he is now a traitor.
The Muslim already killed 3000 innocent Americans at World Trade Center, now they want to build a mosque at ground zero to further humiliate the 911 victims and the Christian world of faith with our own president as a accomplice, what kind of justice is that. Bill Clinton will not do that, if JFK is still alive, he will not do that, even Nixon would never do that. Only a traitor like Obama will do that, because his middle name is Hussin. How can Americans elected him to be our president. You tell me."

"Impeach this traitor. I bet if given the chance HE would have flown one of those planes himself!!! Instead He is trying to destroy America from the inside. America is his own Enron."

"Did he not care that when he went into office that he was to uphold not only the constitution but the voice of the people? He must have been in another country plotting against us. When he was sworn into office the people's voice was put on mute, say goodbye to Freedom and hello HELL!!!!!"

"What the hell Obama? There mine as a well be a statue of Hitler next to every Jewish temple while your at it. Another step to bringing America to their grave. I hope your happy Obama."

"its time for the people who remember what this country was founded on..to stand and take action!
osama..obama you better pack your bags find your self a hole to hide in!!!"

actually there are 30 pages of comments like this, my faith in humanity always gets raped by youtube and yahoo comments.

"A Protestant blew up the Federal building in Oklahoma City, so we should not allow Protestants to build any more churches in OKC."
thanks will f

GnArcIsSisTic

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2010, 08:50:51 PM »
"A Protestant blew up the Federal building in Oklahoma City, so we should not allow Protestants to build any more churches in OKC."
thanks will f

that protestant's actions did not relate to any doctrinal teachings (unless you want to misquote or refer to the old testament) of christianity... whereas the muslims who took down the world trade centers were acting on their scriptural teachings, no matter how you choose to look at it.

El Venado Zombi

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2010, 08:56:15 PM »
^
Not every Muslim is a terrorist, just like how not every White, Protestant male is a White supremacist.

is everyone a bigot if they oppose the building of a mosque near ground zero?
What reason can there be to oppose the building of a mosque, aside from religious intolerance? In other words, what is your reason for the opposition of the mosque?

Beer Keg Peg Leg

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2010, 09:05:35 PM »
There is no reason; gnarcissistic is a bigot with an extremely limited understanding of Islam and Muslims in general.

Mouth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -297
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2010, 09:11:45 PM »
It's good to see America standing up for the ideals that made the country great in the first place.
'No Mouth, you have a negative rep because you are a fan of growing your wealth off of the backs of low paid workers and brag about having bodyguards. You literally kook people for doing charity in South East Asia. Don't deny it.'

GnArcIsSisTic

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2010, 09:16:28 PM »
The reason why i dont support the mosque is because i understand that victims of 911 see alot more in the construction of a mosque near ground zero than conflict with religious freedom. Do you guys not understand why we were attacked in the first place?

Bobby Peru

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 610
    • Community Push avatar image
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2010, 09:19:20 PM »
Expand Quote
thanks will f
[close]

that protestant's actions did not relate to any doctrinal teachings (unless you want to misquote or refer to the old testament) of christianity... whereas the muslims who took down the world trade centers were acting on their scriptural teachings, no matter how you choose to look at it.

Here it comes

Skwisgaar Skwigelf

• Rep: 10000
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2010, 09:23:07 PM »
Wait, so there's people that still think Muslims did it?  ???
..............  ::)
or maybe its because your fist has to first be purified in the waters of lake minnetonka before it can touch dylons.

Scallywag crew!

yobzobbler

• Rep: -21
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2010, 09:43:51 PM »
Ideally I would've placed nothing religiously affiliated in a 5 mile radius. Nothing even remotely Christian. Personally I find this a pretty dumb move on Obama's part - sure it's progressive, but it'll also cost you the next election. He seems to neglect the fact that people are still convinced, because of his middle name, that he's a secret Arab. Not smart.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2010, 09:46:20 PM »
^ Are you fucking regular? Do you even know how many people live within a five mile radius of ground zero?
gnarcissistic, I think others have explained my thoughts well. I'm not the only one who thinks you are an ignorant piece of shit for this one. I don't understand why saying building a mosque should not be allowed is anything but intolerant? Explain please. I would go another step too and say if you don't want the mosque built, you are an unpatriotic coward who is willing to curb our freedoms as a result of a terrorist attack. The best thing to do for Al Qaeda right now is to ban islam in America. IT would empower the shit out of them, and do nothing for our safety. You don't need a mosque to plan an attack.

As far as your bullshit thing about saying that those who have acted violently in the name of Christianity are misinformed or misinterpreting the  bible:
1) Every muslim I know says the EXACT SAME THING about Al qaeda's interpretation of Islam. They say that they are perverting Islam, and that violent interpretations of concepts such as jihad are actually perversions and not the true interpretation, which they say encourages peace.
2) How do you know YOU aren't misinterpreting the bible, and that it actually does encourage vile acts? I'd be willing to bet those people with the "God hates fags" signs at military funerals have read the bible more than you have, and at the same time, the people who wrote it are not here explaining what they meant, whether it is god or man who wrote it. How do you know you don't just turn religion into something that espouses your beliefs, while others turn religion into something that espouses theirs? Religion is an excuse, not a true guide of morality. Studies have proven it:
http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn18216-dear-god-please-confirm-what-i-already-believe.html

So basically, nobody changes themself to fit their religious beliefs, they manipulate their religious beliefs to fit their own, no matter what fucking religion it is.

The fact that you think Muslims are more likely than Christians to kill in the name of god makes you intolerant. Just remember, the land you live on came as the result of a mass genocide of native peoples in the name of Christ, not Mohammed. They justified it using Psalms 2:8 "Ask of thee, and I shall give thee, the heathen for thine inheritance, and the uttermost parts of the earth for thy posession" as well as Romans 13:2 "Whosoever resisteth the power, resisteth the ordinance of God and they that resist shall receive to themselves damnation." This is new testament stuff, used to justify multiple GENOCIDES, not just one attack. Are they interpreting it right? Maybe not according to you. Were they committing genocide in the name of Christ? Fuck yeah!
Also, Christians used the bible to justify slavery. Were they right, or twisting the bible's words? Who fucking cares? They used the bible and Christ's name to defend the system (not single act) of slavery.

You don't hear about this shit because mainstream high school history books generally don't talk about times white people or christianity was wrong.

Also, we were attacked because of our continued building of military bases in Saudi Arabia and our general interventions in the middle east, according to Bin Laden and the masterminds of the attack, but what do they know? They just did it. I'm sure Sean Hannity or whatever douchebag tells you what to think didn't tell you that though, did they? They told you its because we are christian or our freedom right? How fucking stupid are you?

yobzobbler

• Rep: -21
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2010, 09:55:16 PM »
^ Are you fucking regular? Do you even know how many people live within a five mile radius of ground zero?

Two miles. One mile. Three blocks. I DON'T CARE - A RADIUS, regardless of yards and meters: something substantial, but nothing that will tear any churches/whatevers already withstand: just nothing new. Something that doesn't declare anything regarding religion on the way in or out - something that doesn't state an opinion, where a Muslim isn't going to feel afraid of other people's stares on his way to work past Ground Zero and where a Christian won't believe "the muzlims have wun". Please shut the fuck up.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2010, 09:57:21 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Two miles. One mile. Three blocks. I DON'T CARE - A RADIUS, regardless of yards and meters: something substantial, but nothing that will tear any churches/whatevers already withstand: just nothing new. Something that doesn't declare anything regarding religion on the way in or out - something that doesn't state an opinion, where a Muslim isn't going to feel afraid of other people's stares on his way to work past Ground Zero and where a Christian won't believe "the muzlims have wun". Please shut the fuck up.
No. your idea is stupid. Oppressing all isn't oppressing none, and another mosque already exists 4 blocks from ground zero.

Edward Sebastian

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -305
  • This is what we live for.
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2010, 10:02:56 PM »
gnarcissistic, I think others have explained my thoughts well. I'm not the only one who thinks you are an ignorant piece of shit for this one. I don't understand why saying building a mosque should not be allowed is anything but intolerant? Explain please. I would go another step too and say if you don't want the mosque built, you are an unpatriotic coward who is willing to curb our freedoms as a result of a terrorist attack. The best thing to do for Al Qaeda right now is to ban islam in America. IT would empower the shit out of them, and do nothing for our safety. You don't need a mosque to plan an attack.

As far as your bullshit thing about saying that those who have acted violently in the name of Christianity are misinformed or misinterpreting the  bible:
1) Every muslim I know says the EXACT SAME THING about Al qaeda's interpretation of Islam. They say that they are perverting Islam, and that violent interpretations of concepts such as jihad are actually perversions and not the true interpretation, which they say encourages peace.
2) How do you know YOU aren't misinterpreting the bible, and that it actually does encourage vile acts? I'd be willing to bet those people with the "God hates fags" signs at military funerals have read the bible more than you have, and at the same time, the people who wrote it are not here explaining what they meant, whether it is god or man who wrote it. How do you know you don't just turn religion into something that espouses your beliefs, while others turn religion into something that espouses theirs? Religion is an excuse, not a true guide of morality. Studies have proven it:
http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn18216-dear-god-please-confirm-what-i-already-believe.html

So basically, nobody changes themself to fit their religious beliefs, they manipulate their religious beliefs to fit their own, no matter what fucking religion it is.

The fact that you think Muslims are more likely than Christians to kill in the name of god makes you intolerant. Just remember, the land you live on came as the result of a mass genocide of native peoples in the name of Christ, not Mohammed. They justified it using Psalms 2:8 "Ask of thee, and I shall give thee, the heathen for thine inheritance, and the uttermost parts of the earth for thy posession" as well as Romans 13:2 "Whosoever resisteth the power, resisteth the ordinance of God and they that resist shall receive to themselves damnation." This is new testament stuff, used to justify multiple GENOCIDES, not just one attack. Are they interpreting it right? Maybe not according to you. Were they committing genocide in the name of Christ? Fuck yeah!
Also, Christians used the bible to justify slavery. Were they right, or twisting the bible's words? Who fucking cares? They used the bible and Christ's name to defend the system (not single act) of slavery.

You don't hear about this shit because mainstream high school history books generally don't talk about times white people or christianity was wrong.

Also, we were attacked because of our continued building of military bases in Saudi Arabia and our general interventions in the middle east, according to Bin Laden and the masterminds of the attack, but what do they know? They just did it. I'm sure Sean Hannity or whatever douchebag tells you what to think didn't tell you that though, did they? They told you its because we are christian or our freedom right? How fucking stupid are you?

ronald reagan is the voice of reason in this thread. *head asplodes*

glad at least a few people on here aren't mindless drones.

stopping the building of a mosque, or any other religious facility near ground zero (or anywhere else in the US for that matter) goes directly against what america is all about.
"RIP to myself one day" - JR Blastoff

GnArcIsSisTic

« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2010, 10:03:56 PM »
You're right about people using religion to justify their beliefs, which makes any further arguments about the validity of christianity unnecessary.

What i WILL say is that no major islamic organization has stepped forward to condemn the terrorist attacks carried out by other muslims. . . Whereas any christian organization will adamantly deny any association with the "god hates fags" crowd (as well as things like the witch hunts and genocides previously mentioned).

All of this is not to say i'm an islamaphobe... i can't hate any person because of heir beliefs. As you've said, there are plenty of sane muslims that not only denounce terrorism but also admit that the controversial mosque should be moved elsewhere.

Beer Keg Peg Leg

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2010, 10:14:14 PM »
Fuck you you fucking moron. Have a nice slice of enlightenment you bigot piece of shit.

http://www.zeropartypolitics.com/2010/08/ground-zero-mosque-hysteria-americans.html

GnArcIsSisTic

« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2010, 10:16:18 PM »
Also note that a CNN poll showed that 68% of people polled did not approve of the mosque being built, which is why building the mosque is as controversial as not building it.

Shouldn't it be the citizens who get to decide anyways? At least in that there should be some open discussion between the community and the organization that wants to build the mosque.

I'm not asking that a religious organization be denied a building permit, i just think it's a shitty idea is all.

Tyroneshoelaces

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -601
  • who knows
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2010, 10:26:17 PM »
i started this thread just because i knew it would bring some quality rants...and they were delivered.    I don't really have an opinion at all on this but in light of the bigotry and constant scrutiny many Muslims already suffer in the USA it is surprising to me that the organization would choose such a controversial location.... and yes i know it is not technically ground zero.    either way i don't care if a mosque shows up there or not. 
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 10:29:03 PM by Tyroneshoelaces »
where is home?

Beer Keg Peg Leg

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2010, 10:27:51 PM »
Also note that a CNN poll showed that 68% of people polled did not approve of the mosque being built, which is why building the mosque is as controversial as not building it.

Shouldn't it be the citizens who get to decide anyways? At least in that there should be some open discussion between the community and the organization that wants to build the mosque.

I'm not asking that a religious organization be denied a building permit, i just think it's a shitty idea is all.

Because you are a bigot.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2010, 10:38:15 PM »
In terms of popularity, that doesn't really matter in this issue. Our system is set up with a constitution guaranteeing religious freedom and a judicial system outside of politics who's sole purpose is to interpret the consitution so that the many could not oppress the few. Was slavery and jim crow segregation ok? A majority of the voting south supported it! Just because oppression is popular doesn't mean it is ok. Just because an issue in the constitution guaranteeing rights of a minority (1st amendment for religion, 14th for race/ethnicity) isn't popular also doesn't mean you just ignore it.

Also, how fucking ignorant can you possibly fucking be? No major Muslim groups against terrorism or 9/11? Have you fucking looked?! You seriously have to be intentionally not looking to see how the American Muslim community responded to this.
Just about ALL of them are! If you need some groups to look up here are a few:
http://www.freemuslims.org/
http://www.m-a-t.org/
http://www.islamfortoday.com/terrorism.htm
There are countless more, including EVERY mainstream mosque in America.

As far as most Churches condemning homophobia? I fucking wish. If you lived in California during the prop 8 campaign, you'd realize quite quickly what most churches think of homosexuality. They don't condemn homophobia, they support it. Some may not, but the major evangelical organizations hate the gays. Rick Warren's saddleback church (the gayest name for a homophobic organization ever) considered to be mainstream, and not one of the crazy evangelicals, gave TONS of money to help oppress gay people in that election. Homophobia absolutely is a standard belief of most Christian churches. If you aren't like that, good, but that doesn't mean overall churches condemn homophobia at all.

grimcity

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2214
  • computer says no
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2010, 06:27:15 AM »
1. It's a community center.
2. The building used to be a fucking Burlington Coat Factory.

Saints be praised or whatever.

Euclid

« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2010, 06:50:48 AM »
Obama is doing the right thing but sadly that man will never be re-elected.

GnArcIsSisTic

« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2010, 07:06:00 AM »
I'd like to make it clear, again, that i'm not politically opposed to a mosque being built. i just think that it is in the muslim community's best interest to not build a mosque near ground zero. if you think i'm a bigot for that, well, okay.

and gipper, i never said anything about homophobia (though i will admit that christianity's response to homosexuality has, on a large scale, been very embarrassing). i said 'islamaphobia', in the context that i was reiterating that i am personally not afraid of muslims as a whole.

grimcity

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2214
  • computer says no
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2010, 07:14:48 AM »
Calling it a mosque is wrong. There's a mosque in it, but it has a pool too, so we all might as well refer to it as an indoor swimming hole.

relevant to my intrests

• Rep: -58
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2010, 07:19:15 AM »
I don't care we all americans who gives a damn. On the flip side i could see how some could disagree with it.