Author Topic: Music Skateboards - New Board Company From NYC  (Read 7461 times)

Tony

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 7
    • Sleep Skateboards avatar image
Music Skateboards - New Board Company From NYC
« on: September 08, 2010, 09:47:54 PM »

We're a new board company from NY. Just in business for a month and a half.
Check it out and feel free to tell us what you think.

Our website: www.music-skateboards.com

Like us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/musicskateboards

Or Follow us on Twitter: twitter.com/MusicSkate
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 07:26:09 AM by Tony »

Cthulhu!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 458
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Music Skateboards - New Board Company From NYC
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2010, 06:13:45 AM »
Hello, I am the usual reviewer for Slap. I am interested in doing a review, send me a pm.

Hercules Rockefeller

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -13
  • i`m a double-bacon-genius-burger.
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2010, 06:49:45 AM »
i can`t say anything about your boards until ctulhu comes up with a nice review, but the shirts look pretty good.

noileum

• Rep: 29
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2010, 07:49:44 AM »
website is nicely done (which makes a change these days) and I like the aesthetic you've gone for

Hobochilli

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2010, 10:44:42 AM »
I like the graphics, you should make a couple of wider boards though

bumpnrun

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 44
    • Fairways & Flips avatar image
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2010, 12:43:43 PM »
website looks good.  Graphics look good.  What wood shop?  And I hope your boards are not dipped.

schmuckface killah

• Rep: 8
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2010, 12:59:00 PM »
do you not have a team?

Tony

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2010, 02:24:30 PM »
First of all thanks for the complements. We took over a year to get things right. When people say they dig the graphics, it defiantly puts a smile on our faces

I like the graphics, you should make a couple of wider boards though
We are working on that now. By Xmas we should have a 8.125 model.

website looks good.  Graphics look good.  What wood shop?  And I hope your boards are not dipped.
Spent over a year of testing out every woodshop in the US. Went with Pennswood cause their boards are super solid and they last.  The boards are not dipped. We're not fans of the dipped look.

do you not have a team?
We are working on picking one. This takes time to get right, and probably the hardest part of running a board company.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 02:27:23 PM by Tony »

Cold Pizza

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2010, 09:39:54 PM »
A bit too similar to Stereo for my tastes, but I like the direction you got going.

magicstickyhand

• Rep: 1
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2010, 05:40:00 AM »

Hello, I am the usual reviewer for Slap. I am interested in doing a review, send me a pm.
please.
i think i was,anyways

spare change

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2010, 07:36:59 AM »
I realize every region is unique with trends for board sizes,but board sales for sizes under 8 make up less than 10% of boards sold nationally. Being a new company with no team is hard enough to sell,having one board in the size thats dominating sales is another.Your company kind of feels like someone with ai skills threw it together in a day,though i like the theme and colorways.Anybody with $5,000 and a business license can have a skateboard company.Heres a few small companies i feel are taking the time to find a niche and fill it within their scene.

http://skateinstrument.com/
http://welcomeskateboards.com/
http://www.manikskateboards.com/default.aspx?showcaseID=32

I realize you're just starting out and these things take time.But you seem to be missing large pieces of the puzzle to even get your foot in the door of a local skate shop.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 07:38:46 AM by spare change »

tobal

• Rep: -11
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2010, 08:21:42 AM »
Team comes FIRST.

Tony

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2010, 09:48:47 AM »
A bit too similar to Stereo for my tastes, but I like the direction you got going.
We get that sometimes cause of the music themed graphics. I do feel Stereo has kind of veered away from that in the past years.

Team comes FIRST.
Like I said, The reason we don't have a team right now cause we are trying to find the right people. We have some kids on flow, but I would not say they are team riders till I can see they produce footage/photos that useable. A lot of great skaters out there, but a lot don't get being sponsored means doing work. Hope to announce some riders by Christmas time.

I realize every region is unique with trends for board sizes,but board sales for sizes under 8 make up less than 10% of boards sold nationally. Being a new company with no team is hard enough to sell,having one board in the size thats dominating sales is another.Your company kind of feels like someone with ai skills threw it together in a day,though i like the theme and colorways.Anybody with $5,000 and a business license can have a skateboard company.Heres a few small companies i feel are taking the time to find a niche and fill it within their scene.

I realize you're just starting out and these things take time.But you seem to be missing large pieces of the puzzle to even get your foot in the door of a local skate shop.

If you think the graphics looks like someone slapped them together with Illustrator in one day, then i am going to say the jpg i posted and our website are not doing them justice. Took my partner 3 months to draw all the instruments. If you see the boards in person there's a lot of detail. We took a over year to get everything right. In my opinion, we did graphic/image wise.

For our board sizes, we are based in NYC and the top sellers here are 7.75 - 8.00 and anything over that sits on a wall for a bit of time.
I know outside of the tri-state area that changes. 8 and up is king but we are not going to hit up those markets yet. Once we get our footing in NY and the surrounding area we will be willing to hit those markets and we will have more boards 8' and over. The funny thing is our top seller right now is our smallest board.

Thanks for input everybody. It helps give insight.

Private Dancer

• Rep: -3
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2010, 03:53:08 PM »

Agree with spare change.

Beautiful website but cant help but think of stereo.

however if you are hyped on it more than any other company out there you should go for it. small companies are sick.

bumpnrun

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2010, 07:10:29 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Agree with spare change.

Beautiful website but cant help but think of stereo.

however if you are hyped on it more than any other company out there you should go for it. small companies are sick.

I don't really see it.  Stereo's graphics revolve around vinyl + the adaptor piece for 7" singles.  Not instruments.

The Ghost of Lenny Kirk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -146
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2010, 05:49:08 AM »
to be completely honest those boards remind me of dyrdeks gunshow graphic but with instruments instead of guns.

Paper Crane

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 115
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2010, 12:32:27 PM »

that 'genre' board looks like a stereo deck just because of this little symbol.

Tony

« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2010, 08:44:02 PM »

that 'genre' board looks like a stereo deck just because of this little symbol.

I'd be stoked to receive a cease-and-desist letter from Stereo over that one.

Ben

« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2010, 12:17:38 AM »
keep it up man, i like everything youre doing.

ive spent countless hours researching everything i could to start a board company, and im just waiting to finish my last deployment to afghanistan to get it going.

i think you are off to a good start, and would like to pick your brain some day for tips/advice.

Tony

« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2010, 04:05:01 PM »
keep it up man, i like everything youre doing.

ive spent countless hours researching everything i could to start a board company, and im just waiting to finish my last deployment to afghanistan to get it going.

i think you are off to a good start, and would like to pick your brain some day for tips/advice.
Thanks man! feel free to PM anytime.

H8R part 4

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -301
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2010, 11:19:39 AM »
pennswood is good!

i'm not trying to knock you but it going to be hard trying to convince shops to carry your boards when you don't have a team and you don't have any street cred.  if a shop has a zoo board on the wall and a music board, 99 out of 100 kids are going to buy the zoo york.   

also, if you're wholesale price is the same as an established company, most shops won't want to take the chance of stocking an unknown brand.  i think you're best bet is to try to get into shops on a consignment basis and build/work your way up from there. 
just my 2 cents. 

bumpnrun

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2010, 11:36:33 AM »
pennswood is good!

i'm not trying to knock you but it going to be hard trying to convince shops to carry your boards when you don't have a team and you don't have any street cred.  if a shop has a zoo board on the wall and a music board, 99 out of 100 kids are going to buy the zoo york.  

also, if you're wholesale price is the same as an established company, most shops won't want to take the chance of stocking an unknown brand.  i think you're best bet is to try to get into shops on a consignment basis and build/work your way up from there.  
just my 2 cents.  

If you look at their dealer list, Music boards are already in Poets, Supreme, Autumn and other shops in the State.   A pretty good start.

H8R part 4

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -301
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2010, 11:55:11 AM »
^thats whats up!  hes moving up pretty fast for sure, fuckin a!   

Ben

« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2010, 01:23:18 PM »
one of my "hang ups" i had when i was hardcore into starting a board company was getting a team together. i guess the best way to do it is to be very involved with your local scene, which is hard for me to do since i move around alot.

Tony

« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2010, 01:56:34 PM »

i'm not trying to knock you but it going to be hard trying to convince shops to carry your boards when you don't have a team and you don't have any street cred.  if a shop has a zoo board on the wall and a music board, 99 out of 100 kids are going to buy the zoo york. 

one of my "hang ups" i had when i was hardcore into starting a board company was getting a team together. i guess the best way to do it is to be very involved with your local scene, which is hard for me to do since i move around alot.

Like I said, we are working on it. We are trying to find skaters who want to help us build the brand and not just take free stuff. When you get sponsored by a shop or a company, it becomes your job to promote your sponsor. A lot of kids don't get that.

bumpnrun

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2010, 04:06:11 PM »
I couldn't even imagine how hard it would be to assemble a team.

If it were me, I'd want good skaters with style...  No lame attitudes and aren't total assholes to kids.  I'd want it to have a tight family feel but at the same time, have it spread out so you get coverage over as wide an area as possible.  Doesn't sound very easy to me.

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 315
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2010, 04:17:44 PM »
At first I wasn't a fan of the name but with the amount of effort into the graphics and website, now I can dig it. I look at it as a start up and it is looking good and professional so far. I think eventually everything else will come together but for what it is, this is a great start. I think the website a lone trumps many other skate sites out there.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

Tony

« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2010, 12:23:01 PM »
I couldn't even imagine how hard it would be to assemble a team.

If it were me, I'd want good skaters with style...  No lame attitudes and aren't total assholes to kids.  I'd want it to have a tight family feel but at the same time, have it spread out so you get coverage over as wide an area as possible.  Doesn't sound very easy to me.
It's hard! Had one kid I wanted on the team and asked him to go filming. He ended up flaking to go to some party. Blew his chances.

At first I wasn't a fan of the name but with the amount of effort into the graphics and website, now I can dig it. I look at it as a start up and it is looking good and professional so far. I think eventually everything else will come together but for what it is, this is a great start. I think the website a lone trumps many other skate sites out there.

Thanks Fongstarr!! That's the most amazing compliment we received so far.

Exile on MainSt.

« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2010, 11:32:29 PM »
Awesome graphics, and I like the under 8 inch boards.

Acrid Avid Jam Shred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -156
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2010, 10:38:24 AM »
sick graphics and theme for the brand. The website was cool too.

As far as stereo goes, they've been straying from that whole early 60's jazz theme nowadays.