Author Topic: Things To Do In NYC  (Read 8625 times)

Fongstarr.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Things To Do In NYC
« on: September 16, 2010, 11:53:56 AM »
Well, since the SF thread was somewhat a success, I was wondering if anyone can shed some light on things to do in NYC. It's a straight 6 day vacation for me and like the other guy posting about SF, I am not going for skating and just interested in spots that I won't be able to know from tourist books and what not. Things from just bars, clubs, spots to eat, skate shops worth checking out, some touristy shit I might be forgetting, and whatever else comes to mind.

So far the only thing I have scheduled is walking the Brooklyn bridge, going to a Mets game to check out Citi Field (I hate baseball but want to check it out anyways), go to central park, and checking out some improve comedy club and eat like a mad man. Any help will be appreciated.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

Acrid Avid Jam Shred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -156
Re: Things To Do In NYC
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 12:08:43 PM »
I hate to say it, but flight club and the random ass shoe bodegas there are so tight. 
this place helped me find some tight things to do there also  http://nymag.com/

Magic Pizza

• Rep: 175
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 12:09:46 PM »
If you're near Madison Square Garden, get some magic pizza at NY Pizza Suprema, 31st. & 8th Ave. I'd go with the plain for that freshness, put a little salt on that slice to balance out the sweet sauce.

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2010, 12:24:27 PM »
^^^That sounds like a plan. I think I might check out Madison Square Garden area and I heard about NYC cheese pizza.

I hate to say it, but flight club and the random ass shoe bodegas there are so tight. 
this place helped me find some tight things to do there also  http://nymag.com/

As crappy as it might be, I do want to check out Supreme just for nostalgia reason and its history. I went to Flight Club in LA and wasn't too shocked by it but the random other shoe spots might be good for a look.

There is a lot of other crap that I heard that I am not too sure if it is worth checking out like that restaurant soup kitchen that was in Seinfeld and Rucker Park for just seeing where a lot of NYC basketball players get down and at the time.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin

H8R part 4

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -301
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2010, 12:33:34 PM »
lots of bars in brooklyn now offer a free pizza with every beer.  the alligator lounge is one of them but theres a bunch more.  

maxfish or lit if you want to with rub elbows with some pros.

MoMA is dope as well as the museum of natural history.

empire state building is cool just because its the ESB.  

if you're gonna hit up citifield, you might as well hit up yankee stadium too.

outside of skateparks and shit, i don't know what else to suggest?  i've been living here too long and everything is played out, plus i stay broke, ha!  

Narcissus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 301
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2010, 12:56:59 PM »
When you walk over the Brooklyn Bridge, get a pizza at Grimaldi's then hurt yourself on this thing: http://quartersnacks.com/spots/brooklyn/downtown-fort-greene/front-street-ledge/
i saw my grandma bail off a 4 set once in my house and she even got up and came to red lobster after.
Quote from: The Kitten!
get wasted and pass out.

All Hail Wu Welsh

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2010, 01:39:53 PM »
if this is your first time in NYC walk through times square once then avoid it like the plague, its a black hole tourist trap, its just cool to walk through if you've never been there before.  nightlife, really no need to go above 22nd street, stay away from midtown, its awful, full of over price clubs with cover charges and greased up bros from long island and jersey looking for a fight. 

spool of cord

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 47
  • Welcome to another chapter of audio sodemy
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2010, 01:59:31 PM »
If you're gonna be there on the 25th, you an get free passes to a whole assortment of cool museums that normally might cost you guys a bit to check out. I know its a national musuem appreciation thing but there's a lot of great ones in NYC.

Citi Field (fuckin hate that name) > Yankees Stadium. for a few reasons...the mets aren't in contention and you can move freely around the ballpark and check it out from all the different angles, and the croud that is gonna be there is always more mellow than the crazed yankee fans.  usually one team is in town while the other isn't, so who knows about catching both.

Union Square's farmers market on the weekends is a cool thing to check. I don't really know what else, theres always shit going on in central park, actually someone told me that band Ween is playing a free show there tomorrow night.
sanch dont be mad because your wife used to clean my mansion

and................... your still a mark!!!!!

Bobbito

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -14
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2010, 02:06:01 PM »
I can't believe people are leaving out visiting the Tompkins Square Park bathroom, it's by far one of my favorite things to do in the city.

On a real note, I'd say just walk around the lower east side and take in the sights. There's beautiful girls all around, a million bars to go to, and just a nice environment. Go to St. Marks for some $1 slices from Two Bros Pizza or falafel's at Cheep's (or whatever it's called). BK is pretty tight but I don't know much about it besides lots of bars and a huge influx of hipsters. At least the hip babes are good eye candy though.

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2010, 02:18:31 PM »
Yeah...this is my first time in NYC. I want to keep things chill with some touristy stuff. I am not even big on the Time Square thing but I figure I have to at least pass by. I'll probably keep it bullshit free and just snap some pics here and there and leave.

That free pass to museums sounds like a must. I am an art guy but hate paying to see art. So how do you go about getting the passes or are the museums just free?

I am juiced on Citi Field. I fucking hate the Yankees (no offense) and have no opinion on the Mets. I appreciate the sport though and can't wait to just check it out. Found tickets on Stub Hubb for only $15 a piece.

I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin

H8R part 4

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2010, 02:32:48 PM »
most museums are free.  they try to hit you up for loot like you gotta pay to get in but its actually a donation.  at least thats the case for MoMA, not too sure about MoNH? 

if you're gonna check out rucker park(155th st), the new BX park is only a 10 minute skate from there.  i'm too broke to party these days but hit me up if you want to meet up and skate.  skating is free, partying not so much.   

spool of cord

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 47
  • Welcome to another chapter of audio sodemy
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2010, 03:04:49 PM »
Yeah...this is my first time in NYC. I want to keep things chill with some touristy stuff. I am not even big on the Time Square thing but I figure I have to at least pass by. I'll probably keep it bullshit free and just snap some pics here and there and leave.

That free pass to museums sounds like a must. I am an art guy but hate paying to see art. So how do you go about getting the passes or are the museums just free?

I am juiced on Citi Field. I fucking hate the Yankees (no offense) and have no opinion on the Mets. I appreciate the sport though and can't wait to just check it out. Found tickets on Stub Hubb for only $15 a piece.

you can google it or I think I saw something about it on the smithsonian website. deffinetly worth it, I think every American citizen gets two free passes useable for that day. and faster, I don't think something like the museum of natural history is free?

happy there are more yankee haters on here. I grew up a mets fan and even though they're trying to be the yankees with their huge salary theyre still the team to root for in NY. definetly walk around all over the stadium, even show the guards your tickets and they'll let you go into more expensive sections of the statdium. totally worth it.
sanch dont be mad because your wife used to clean my mansion

and................... your still a mark!!!!!

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2010, 03:25:56 PM »
most museums are free.  they try to hit you up for loot like you gotta pay to get in but its actually a donation.  at least thats the case for MoMA, not too sure about MoNH? 

if you're gonna check out rucker park(155th st), the new BX park is only a 10 minute skate from there.  i'm too broke to party these days but hit me up if you want to meet up and skate.  skating is free, partying not so much.   

I hear you man. Shitty world we live and I am actually just fortunate to travel. This is the farthest I have ever been and I am doing this all on budget and it's still kicking my ass. Dude that I work with is in Germany right now and went to Thailand for 2 straight weeks and still has time to buy shit.

And I would take you up on the offer but I am with my girl on this trip and I honestly don't even skate anymore. I don't fake the funk. I am the definition of that poser that COTG talks about that doesn't skate but lurks slap all damn day long. I love skateboarding but was never any good at it and am too old in getting better.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin

Narcissus

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2010, 08:55:29 AM »
most museums are free.?  they try to hit you up for loot like you gotta pay to get in but its actually a donation.?  at least thats the case for MoMA, not too sure about MoNH?? 

if you're gonna check out rucker park(155th st), the new BX park is only a 10 minute skate from there.?  i'm too broke to party these days but hit me up if you want to meet up and skate.?  skating is free, partying not so much.?  ? 

Many are suggested donation, not MoMA, though. They straight up charge you $20. Go to the Cloisters, then the Met. Same day admission is good for both. Fort Tyron park (where the Cloisters is located) is a ridiculously good make-out spot.

Bobbito, I once walked into the Tompkins bathroom thinking of changing after a job interview/before skating. Changed right in the park instead, fuck it. What's a dude in his underwear compared to a pile of junkie bums covered in piss and needles?

i saw my grandma bail off a 4 set once in my house and she even got up and came to red lobster after.
get wasted and pass out.

Monty Burns

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -324
  • Release the hounds
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2010, 09:45:58 AM »

Narcissus

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2010, 10:32:25 AM »
Sir, not everyone owns a nuclear power plant.
get wasted and pass out.

Narcissus

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2010, 10:39:36 AM »
Here's two other NYC threads.

I listed some good eats in the second one.

http://www.slapmagazine.com/component/option,com_jfusion/Itemid,4/index.php?topic=14939.0

http://www.slapmagazine.com/component/option,com_jfusion/Itemid,4/index.php?topic=46206.0

I'd also add Paulie Gee's pizza in Greenpoint (Greenpoint Ave/Manhattan Ave) to the amazing pizza list.

When are you gonna be here?

Pavement is playing Sunday the 19th. Tuesday the 21, Wednesday the 22, Thursday the 23 and Friday the 24th. Hot fucking shit, no doubt.

PM me if you happen to want tickets (I have 2 extras) for the Tuesday show. It's in Central Park.
get wasted and pass out.

grimcity

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2219
  • computer says no
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2010, 11:13:16 AM »
Burgers and Cupcakes in Manhattan is the shit!

http://www.burgersandcupcakes.us/made_of/index.html

I think I had a turkey burger with goat cheese and bacon and some other random shit... I love that place.

Also, Woody Mchales's Irish pub/bar and grill... on a good day there will be groups of drunks at the bar singing and having a killer time, plus they have deep fried twinkies that you can smother in chocolate sauce. It's deadly, but soooo fucking good...
http://www.woodymchales.com/

Outside of food, I enjoyed touring the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island (but be warned, the tour will take up a huge chunk of the day), also check out the top of the Empire State building. It's touristy, but the view is amazing.

floop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -28
  • the things I do for my fucking friends!
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2010, 11:17:45 AM »
it's in Brooklyn but i have to say this place was the highlight of my last trip to NY

http://www.fettesaubbq.com/

fucking EPIC bbq place (and epic beer and whiskey selection)

there's also a really good bar just down the street from it

Lombardi's Pizza is epic too

http://www.firstpizza.com/

this sake bar is a fun place to have a drink, if you like sake

http://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/i9W3EVA6FjB6lWWSEmhndA?select=Sz1ChS5E9bCYxaKwnb8Grg
"Every time I read one of your shitty posts I wonder why I am wasting my time looking at SLAP."

H8R part 4

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2010, 11:27:10 AM »
Expand Quote
most museums are free.?  they try to hit you up for loot like you gotta pay to get in but its actually a donation.?  at least thats the case for MoMA, not too sure about MoNH??  

if you're gonna check out rucker park(155th st), the new BX park is only a 10 minute skate from there.?  i'm too broke to party these days but hit me up if you want to meet up and skate.?  skating is free, partying not so much.?  ?  
?  

[close]

Many are suggested donation, not MoMA, though. They straight up charge you $20. Go to the Cloisters, then the Met. Same day admission is good for both. Fort Tyron park (where the Cloisters is located) is a ridiculously good make-out spot.

Bobbito, I once walked into the Tompkins bathroom thinking of changing after a job interview/before skating. Changed right in the park instead, fuck it. What's a dude in his underwear compared to a pile of junkie bums covered in piss and needles?

i don't remember having to pay to go into MoMA but then again, i haven't been there in years.
i found this site that has all the info on discounts and best times to go.  
http://www.nytix.com/Museums/

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2010, 02:42:03 PM »
Good shit guys on all the links and info. I plan on checking up on all of it if I can.

Narcissus....I'll PM you later on those tickets if I am interested. I have to check my whole agenda on things. Thanks for the offer though.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin

mandibleclaw

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 559
  • "RIP to myself one day." -jereme rogers
    • mandible claw avatar image
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2010, 06:44:41 PM »
hang out with me there
We are a noble sport more noble than any other

Pete

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 755
  • Free Max B
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2010, 10:12:33 PM »
145th and amsterdam after dark
FREE MAX B

andylicardi

• Rep: 3
    • the perfect prescription. avatar image
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2010, 12:03:37 PM »
MoMA is free on Fridays after 4pm.

The Willliamsburg area has a lot to offer in terms of food and nightlife, and will cost you a lot less than Manhattan.

Get a slice at Anna Maria
http://www.yelp.com/biz/anna-maria-pizza-brooklyn

a falafel at Oasis
http://www.yelp.com/biz/oasis-brooklyn-3

Then check out some of the bars in the area.

ticklefingers

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • middleweight lurker
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2010, 12:49:41 PM »
go here...

http://www.pdtnyc.com/

you have to call ahead and get a pass code, then you go to a hot dog spot, go into the phone booth, enter the code and secret wall opens in the booth.

idk if its douchey and/or expensive or not, it just sounds 007 as fuck

Narcissus

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2010, 02:05:19 PM »
MoMA is free on Fridays after 4pm.

The Willliamsburg area has a lot to offer in terms of food and nightlife, and will cost you a lot less than Manhattan.

Get a slice at Anna Maria
http://www.yelp.com/biz/anna-maria-pizza-brooklyn

a falafel at Oasis
http://www.yelp.com/biz/oasis-brooklyn-3

Then check out some of the bars in the area.

Dude, you on Angel Dust or something? Anna Maria is a goddamn abomination. The only reason to ever eat there is because they're open til like 3 or 4 am. It is only barely palatable if you are blackout drunk. Worst pizza in history. Vinnie's 3 blocks away is infinitely superior.
get wasted and pass out.

Pete

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 755
  • Free Max B
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2010, 06:05:22 PM »
stoop kid over here
FREE MAX B

bumpnrun

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 44
    • Fairways & Flips avatar image
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2010, 12:04:53 AM »
I've been a tourist in NYC twice the past 5 years so I'll give you my perspective.  fwiw, both these trips were with my girl and I didn't do any skating either time.  I suppose your trip is going to depend on what type of tourist you are.  My wife and I just like to eat and explore all the different neighbourhoods.  We have a few must-sees in each hood but for the most part, we're just cruising around.  It's cool to see shit that is unique to NYC... stuff you've seen on tv a million times.

First time I went, we stayed near MSG for a few nights and then stayed in the East Village the rest of the trip.  Staying down in the lower part of Manhattan was way more fun than Midtown.  The 2nd time we went, we stayed in the LES/Chinatown.

The High Line is pretty neat.  Old railroad tracks that the city gentrified.

Tenement museum is a neat history lesson of the les.

I wrote a little breakdown of my last trip here.

thepman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -94
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2010, 09:07:19 AM »
i'm not from nyc, or even america for that matter but i went last year and autumn skateshop was pretty sick, the owner seemed really nice, also went the guggenheim museum and that was really cool.
skating is all about choosing your outfit very deliberately, going out in public. looking super sick. and then riding your board a little bit

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2010, 09:27:55 AM »
Man....this sucks. Fucking NYC weather is fucking up my trip. Apparently it is supposed to rain on all the days there and get sunny when I leave. This blows.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin