Author Topic: aboslute WIDEST toe box skate shoes?  (Read 41356 times)

Sk.A.T.A.N, Xen and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 934
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
Re: aboslute WIDEST toe box skate shoes?
« Reply #300 on: January 12, 2024, 11:27:44 AM »
Expand Quote
Strike mvmnt just came out with a skate shoe. Ryan Gallant on their instagram

https://www.instagram.com/p/C1-UqvZyaof/?igsh=MWRlN3dhZ3VkZXo1Yw==
[close]

Expand Quote
^^ Looks like shit flik if you ask me

However, as something that wears shit like this for working out, I'm totally down to try them...but not for $150...

I've a recent post that goes over this...skaters won't pay cross-trainer prices for how fast these are gonna wear out via skating.

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=128874.msg4139490#msg4139490
[close]

I suppose it will depend on what rubber compound/formula the sole is made of and whether it marries with grip tape. They are expensive though.

I'm speaking of shape only - a square shoe won't flick as well as a rounded or pointy shoe, that's why there aren't any core or big box brand doing barefoot style skate shoes.

hikyle2

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 13
« Reply #301 on: January 18, 2024, 08:36:22 PM »
Are the New Balance wide shoes out now?  I looked on the site and saw these come in 2E. https://www.newbalance.com/numeric-skateboarding-shoes/?prefn1=width&prefv1=Men+Wide+%282E%29

TooManyPros

• Rep: 59
« Reply #302 on: January 18, 2024, 11:02:00 PM »
Are the New Balance wide shoes out now?  I looked on the site and saw these come in 2E. https://www.newbalance.com/numeric-skateboarding-shoes/?prefn1=width&prefv1=Men+Wide+%282E%29

Initial reviews suggest they’re not significantly wider than their normal counterparts.

440 v2 wides next month.

hikyle2

« Reply #303 on: January 19, 2024, 09:53:25 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Initial reviews suggest they’re not significantly wider than their normal counterparts.

440 v2 wides next month.

Ah ok, so these aren't the new wide shoes that are supposed to be released this year.  I've been waiting on those but wasn't sure when they were supposed to drop.  Thanks!

fernando the skater

• Rep: 82
« Reply #304 on: January 19, 2024, 10:19:04 AM »
I was looking at New Balance shoes in a skateshop today, and the 574 (the one on the right in that pic) looked to have a pretty decent width at the front. Don't think it was the wider version.

In A Jar

• Rep: 35
    • just say null avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #305 on: January 19, 2024, 10:54:09 AM »

These shoes endorsed by Ryan Gallant have some potential.  Never heard of them before, but here's a link to https://strike-mvmnt.com/collections/run-train-travel/products/transit-street-trainer-camo-white-gum Transit Street Trainer shoe. 

As far as NB# the 272 and 574vulc seem pretty wide to me before the 2E version.   Haven't ordered the 2E version because I'm more of a cupsole guy (and injured) but according to NB specs they should be 4mm wider all around.  So the shape is going to appear mostly the same from a photo I would think. 

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #306 on: January 19, 2024, 11:11:44 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

440 v2 wides next month.
[close]

Ah ok, so these aren't the new wide shoes that are supposed to be released this year.  I've been waiting on those but wasn't sure when they were supposed to drop.  Thanks!

They are, at least that is what is up on the NB site (just click the W-I-D-E button)
https://www.newbalance.com/pd/nb-numeric-272/NM272V1-45853.html?dwvar_NM272V1-45853_style=NM272GGB#dwvar_NM272V1-45853_style=NM272GGB&dwvar_NM272V1-45853_width=2E&pid=NM272V1-45853&quantity=1

The width issues are discussed over in the NB# Containment thread:
https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=89457.msg4138562;topicseen#msg4138562

JugeL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 258
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #307 on: January 20, 2024, 01:11:58 AM »
Ain't no way i'm gonna skate shoes that company calls "street trainers"

Ant

• Rep: 30
« Reply #308 on: January 20, 2024, 01:55:40 AM »
I was looking at New Balance shoes in a skateshop today, and the 574 (the one on the right in that pic) looked to have a pretty decent width at the front. Don't think it was the wider version.

I have bunions. 808s feel super tight in a 10.5 and the 574s feel perfect so I'd say definitely more room across the bunion area.

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 467
« Reply #309 on: January 20, 2024, 11:22:41 PM »
I'm just gonna throw out that narrow toe boxes do not flick as well as slightly rounded/squared toeboxes. Agree or don't, that's up to you. I'm pulling from my 18 years of experience skating.

For example, any Cons shoe that uses the CTAS sole (their main sole, you know the one)  has such a narrow shape to it that your flick regularly misses because there's not enough shoe across your toes to catch the board to initiate the flick. You get used to it, sure, but it's not ideal. Shoes should have toe boxes closer to those Strike Mvmt things, but need to not look at as barefoot shoe ugly as they currently do.

NB 440, 808, Joslin, Marana, Manteca 4, KSL, Dunk, Fastbreak, Silo SC, etc. all have more rounded/squarer toe boxes that actually catch the board when flicking and don't cram your toes awkwardly (unless you get the wrong size).
Super Champion Fun Zone

Spaced Cadet

• Rep: 111
« Reply #310 on: January 29, 2024, 03:36:53 PM »
I noticed vans sells a wide version of the old skool classic now. Has anyone tried them yet? Old skools are a little wider by default and fit me alright but a little extra room couldn't hurt. As someone that still prefers the classics over the skate versions I'll probably end up trying them soon.

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 491
« Reply #311 on: January 29, 2024, 04:12:09 PM »
I got a pair of wide Old Skools from their Customs line, would recommend them, just enough extra width to feel better than the regular ones.  Just be careful about the materials, I assumed mine would have a suede toe/heel like most Old Skools, but since I didn’t pay extra for suede they were all canvas.

Spaced Cadet

« Reply #312 on: January 30, 2024, 08:55:02 AM »
I got a pair of wide Old Skools from their Customs line, would recommend them, just enough extra width to feel better than the regular ones.  Just be careful about the materials, I assumed mine would have a suede toe/heel like most Old Skools, but since I didn’t pay extra for suede they were all canvas.

I was just gonna get the basic black/white so the material shouldn’t be an issue. I might order some this weekend.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #313 on: February 11, 2024, 06:42:11 PM »
Probably the only review we're going to get with these ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zx6i57UA2xY&t=312s

I still can't figure out why you want one shoe that does both; I train and skate...and while lots of skate shoes work for lifting (because they are flat) not many training shoes work for skate...if at all...but if you are skating these hard, you are going to shred the shit out of them and wrecking the grip...

skateboarder4life

• Rep: 2
« Reply #314 on: February 18, 2024, 08:47:11 AM »
I noticed vans sells a wide version of the old skool classic now. Has anyone tried them yet? Old skools are a little wider by default and fit me alright but a little extra room couldn't hurt. As someone that still prefers the classics over the skate versions I'll probably end up trying them soon.

don't think there is much point in trying them. vans are some of the narrowest around and someone reached out to them directly and the difference in the wide is an extra 1/8" which is basically nothing

JugeL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 258
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #315 on: February 19, 2024, 07:56:03 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

don't think there is much point in trying them. vans are some of the narrowest around and someone reached out to them directly and the difference in the wide is an extra 1/8" which is basically nothing
Vans narrowest around? Either something is majorly changed or this statement is total bs

skateboarder4life

« Reply #316 on: February 19, 2024, 11:34:18 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Vans narrowest around? Either something is majorly changed or this statement is total bs

yep they are super narrow. take it from someone that needs an actually wide toebox. Vans are only recommended by people with pretty much normal feet that think "sizing 1 up" solves the issue. These people have never seen actual wide toes

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #317 on: February 19, 2024, 12:16:56 PM »
Rowan 2s are not narrow in the least.

skateboarder4life

« Reply #318 on: February 19, 2024, 02:17:19 PM »
Rowan 2s are not narrow in the least.

they aren't offered in wides. i tried some anyway and they had some of the narrowest toes of any skate shoes i've tried

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 491
« Reply #319 on: February 19, 2024, 03:12:31 PM »
If you’ve tried on Sk8-lows/mids/his and they’re not wide enough, then please report back when you find a skate shoe that’s wider.

skateboarder4life

« Reply #320 on: February 20, 2024, 01:30:51 PM »
almost all the E brands are wider in their regular sizes. Es, etnies, emerica. Es has lots that are way wider

skateboarder4life

« Reply #321 on: February 20, 2024, 01:43:25 PM »
If you’ve tried on Sk8-lows/mids/his and they’re not wide enough, then please report back when you find a skate shoe that’s wider.

all new balance are wider whether wide or not. globe is wider. osiris has wider. lakai griffin is wider. i've tried almost every shoe mentioned in this thread aside from maybe 1 or 2 and vans are narrower than pretty much every other one in this thread. maybe equal to a few of them. they are literally some of the narrowest skate shoes around

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #322 on: February 20, 2024, 03:08:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

This

Spaced Cadet

« Reply #323 on: February 20, 2024, 03:46:42 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

all new balance are wider whether wide or not. globe is wider. osiris has wider. lakai griffin is wider. i've tried almost every shoe mentioned in this thread aside from maybe 1 or 2 and vans are narrower than pretty much every other one in this thread. maybe equal to a few of them. they are literally some of the narrowest skate shoes around

Standard vans are for sure wider than what most companies offer. Maybe your foot shape just doesn't fits vans very well? I haven't tried osiris or globes since the early 00's so idk about them but I had some new balance 574 skate shoes and they were surprisingly really narrow. So even some new balances can be on the narrow side.

skateboarder4life

« Reply #324 on: February 21, 2024, 02:20:48 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

This
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Standard vans are for sure wider than what most companies offer. Maybe your foot shape just doesn't fits vans very well? I haven't tried osiris or globes since the early 00's so idk about them but I had some new balance 574 skate shoes and they were surprisingly really narrow. So even some new balances can be on the narrow side.

some people need the width around the back of their foot. i'm only concerned with around the toes which is where i need the width. This is where almost all shoe companies design their shoes contrary to basic human anatomy aside from most of the "barefoot / minimalist" style shoes.

Like I said I've tried Vans and literally every shoe in this thread and they are narrower in the toes than almost all of them. I have a spreadsheet with all my findings and I've been searching for shoes to skateboard in for 8 years now. I made this thread 4 years ago and there still aren't proper wide shoes for skateboarders. It's ridiculously hard to even get a simple Wide sizing and impossible to get 3E 4E or 5E or even just an anatomically shaped toebox of any kind

If you don't believe me most shoe companies offer a bottom photo of the shoe. You can compare the shots of Vans vs almost any other shoe using a line and ruler in Photoshop, or just overlay them and make one 50% transparent and see that width across the toes is pitiful in the Vans and worse than 99% of other shoes.

I give them props for at least offering a Wide size now which is something 99% of other companies don't do, but when the difference is, by their own admission, 1/8" on a shoe that already runs FAR narrower than any other shoe, it's hard to imagine it being anything other than a money grab

hikyle2

« Reply #325 on: March 14, 2024, 06:46:42 PM »
Anyone ever seen these wide as shit converse before?  I took a picture next to my slip on’s of the same size.  Every cons shoe I’ve ever tried on was super narrow and pointy, these have the biggest toe box I’ve ever seen, it’s like a clown shoe. I found them at thrift store today.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #326 on: March 14, 2024, 07:43:07 PM »
Lots of cons style barefoots out there, can’t comment on how they skate….

https://anyasreviews.com/15-barefoot-sneakers-that-are-better-than-vans/

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #327 on: Today at 06:43:24 PM »
Some barefoot options

https://www.weakshoes.com/r67betaripton

I would totally try these if they weren't $$$$
https://www.barebarics.com/barefoot-sneakers-barebarics-wave-white-black/

I've been using the UA Tri-Base Reign 6 (mouthful) for the gym and I gotta say, the toe box shape would totally work, not too square like most BF shoes but wide enough where it counts.