Author Topic: Post UPCOMING/RECENT shoe releases thread  (Read 8664642 times)

MOE SYZLAK and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

stets

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rep: 106
Re: Post UPCOMING/RECENT shoe releases thread
« Reply #41250 on: March 03, 2021, 07:22:44 PM »
Expand Quote
I remember when the first version of these Grosso's came out in the early 2010s. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CL-XoTVMBF1/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

EDIT: It was 2011 and I had forgotten about the notch on the back.

[close]

Jesus, Vans somehow managed to cause more confusion. Why the fuck does this random "Skate Pro" model feature UltraCush 3D as opposed to PopCush? The level of miscommunication at that company is astounding.

Grosso loved that Ultracush 3D insole though. Since the Sk8-Mid was kinda like his model, they updated it for him I'm assuming? I had his Anti-Hero sk8-mid colorway a couple years ago and it had that sockliner. Talked to him about it at Costa Mesa park one time. RIP Grosso.

Side note, Ace should make a Grosso tribute truck with an inverted kingpin like he was skating them for a bit before he died.
Quote from: augustmoon
lol, don't let my sticker job keep you up at night, buddy

oyolar

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 378
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #41251 on: March 03, 2021, 10:21:30 PM »
does anyone know if the rest of the Vans Pro line is getting updated as well? specifically the Rowans ?

Jesus Christ. Vans production tiers and features are so dumb.

stets

« Reply #41252 on: March 04, 2021, 12:08:32 AM »
Expand Quote
does anyone know if the rest of the Vans Pro line is getting updated as well? specifically the Rowans ?
[close]

Yeah it's dumb to have Pro models have slightly different feature-sets that the pros ask for! Just make everything the same! Nike should make every shoe on the dunk bottom since that shoe is hot right now and works for some people. Emerica should only have one available insole. Cons shouldn't have a skate specific Chuck... too confusing. Lol

Roald Dahnkle

• Rep: 28
« Reply #41253 on: March 04, 2021, 12:17:35 AM »

concerned_parent

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 281
« Reply #41254 on: March 04, 2021, 04:51:03 AM »
I just got two pairs of a recent run of Era Vaults to stock up, and noticed these do indeed have a glossier foxing tape, my previous Era Vaults did not. Nothing else seems different though, what is the taper you are referring to?

trigger alert, giant pictures to show detail.

here's a good example, these are the newer iteration of the vault old skools, glossy outsoles. you can see the strong taper from the top of the outsole down to the sole, personally don't know what it does for performance, but i tried on a pair in a vault shop and i definitely noticed it while holding them in my hands:

https://cncpts.com/collections/brands-vans-vault/products/vans-ua-og-old-skool-lx-vn0a4p3xoiu-suede-canvas

versus one like this where the taper isn't as fierce. no glossy foxing either.

https://cncpts.com/collections/brands-vans-vault/products/vans-ua-sk8-hi-reissue-vl-vn0a4bvhxhu-leather

good come sausage

Roald Dahnkle

• Rep: 28
« Reply #41255 on: March 04, 2021, 05:21:57 AM »
Expand Quote
I just got two pairs of a recent run of Era Vaults to stock up, and noticed these do indeed have a glossier foxing tape, my previous Era Vaults did not. Nothing else seems different though, what is the taper you are referring to?
[close]

trigger alert, giant pictures to show detail.

here's a good example, these are the newer iteration of the vault old skools, glossy outsoles. you can see the strong taper from the top of the outsole down to the sole, personally don't know what it does for performance, but i tried on a pair in a vault shop and i definitely noticed it while holding them in my hands:

https://cncpts.com/collections/brands-vans-vault/products/vans-ua-og-old-skool-lx-vn0a4p3xoiu-suede-canvas

versus one like this where the taper isn't as fierce. no glossy foxing either.

https://cncpts.com/collections/brands-vans-vault/products/vans-ua-sk8-hi-reissue-vl-vn0a4bvhxhu-leather

The ones in the first picture have a weird thin layer of rubber on top of canvas on top of rubber wrapped around the sole and fall apart straight away, second one is an example of when the vulc is one sturdier piece of rubber. 'OG Classics' now tend to have the terrible soles in the first image and the bottom image is often found on 'Anahiem' versions. It's really really annoying that there are so many variants, but I tend to completely avoid the og classics that reason now.

Here's an example of a the soles on a bad pair and a good pair that both do the same gravely walk to work...

« Last Edit: March 04, 2021, 05:30:13 AM by Roald Dahnkle »

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
« Reply #41256 on: March 04, 2021, 10:08:41 AM »

The rowans are untouched, the other pro model shoes besides the chima 2 got the new insole but that's it
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1963
« Reply #41257 on: March 04, 2021, 10:39:31 AM »
so what's the deal with that weird glossy sole on the new Vans? Looks like the white ones also have it?

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #41258 on: March 04, 2021, 10:45:39 AM »
so what's the deal with that weird glossy sole on the new Vans? Looks like the white ones also have it?

I think someone posted about it somewhere on here, that it doesn't discolor or pick up dirt as much at the old ones did. That is what I remember being posted, anyway.

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1274
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #41259 on: March 04, 2021, 10:58:01 AM »
Are skaters wanting their sole to look brand new? Hopefully that gloss wears off easily.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #41260 on: March 04, 2021, 12:44:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Yeah it's dumb to have Pro models have slightly different feature-sets that the pros ask for! Just make everything the same! Nike should make every shoe on the dunk bottom since that shoe is hot right now and works for some people. Emerica should only have one available insole. Cons shouldn't have a skate specific Chuck... too confusing. Lol

That’s not actually what I was complaining about at all. My point was release a shoe - especially a pro model - when it’s ready and has the insoles, materials, etc. that you’re happy with. It’s one thing to re-release something when production standards aren’t maintained but to “update” a bunch of pro shoes with new insoles, soles, shapes, etc. after they’ve been out a while is dumb to me.

And I’ve mentioned before, it’s insane to have Pro,
Classic, and whatever else lines of the same models that have different shapes, production and material qualities, insoles, etc. but the same uppers and same names. Particularly to the point where it seems like every few months, the different lines are swapping those features.

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #41261 on: March 04, 2021, 01:05:34 PM »
They should release a shoe when it’s ready and has the insoles, materials, etc. that you’re happy with.
They did that.
To update a bunch of shoes with new insoles, soles, shapes, etc. after they’ve been out a while is dumb to me.
It may seem dumb to you, but it is smart for the business to make money by making a product that will sell better.
And I’ve mentioned before, it’s insane to have different lines of the same models.
No, its not insane, it makes sense to have different uses for the same upper - not everyone puts their shoes to the same use.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #41262 on: March 04, 2021, 01:11:20 PM »
What are the different uses that justify making a Half-Cab pro and a Half-Cab classic that are so drastically different that people consistently avoid or complain about one of the other?

Firebert

• SLAP Pal
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #41263 on: March 04, 2021, 01:20:26 PM »
What are the different uses that justify making a Half-Cab pro and a Half-Cab classic that are so drastically different that people consistently avoid or complain about one of the other?
Pros have a really thick insole to cushion landings/stair hopping. If you don't like the insoles (me) it makes it easy to replace them.

Classics are so thin, it can be painful to skate a 7 stair+ in em. Insoles must be torn out, and is more pain than it is worth, considering the uppers don't last as long as the pros without the layer of duracap. These are perfect for wanting the classic look without the bulk - also perfect if you don't even plan on skating them and want to save the extra bucks.

If I was skating curbs, I'd pick classics. If anything else, I'd pick the pros.

franc

• Rep: 96
« Reply #41264 on: March 04, 2021, 01:42:06 PM »
The new Skate Half Cabs look bulkier than the Half Cab Pros on the Vans site but really identical to the Pros on the SW site.
How are they really?!?

https://www.vans.com/shop/skate-half-cab-black-white#hero=5

https://www.skatewarehouse.com/Vans_Skate_Half_Cab_Shoes/descpage-VASHBW.html

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #41265 on: March 04, 2021, 01:57:27 PM »
Just to make clear, they are replacing and not releasing these along the pros. So the "different uses" point won't matter since they will be phasing out the pro line.

Firebert

• SLAP Pal
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #41266 on: March 04, 2021, 02:07:11 PM »
Just to make clear, they are replacing and not releasing these along the pros.
Right - the Skate line replaces the Pro line. Here's a pic from Lotties to compare:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CMATmqIjviZ/
compared to the now old "Pros"

stets

« Reply #41267 on: March 04, 2021, 02:55:59 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Just to make clear, they are replacing and not releasing these along the pros. So the "different uses" point won't matter since they will be phasing out the pro line.

So they are doing the Repeal and Replace that Trump claimed but never made good on??

Also, to make clear, Vans does indeed have at least one other version of the Half Cab, the Classic. Which is like their casual one not optimized for modern skateboarding. I don't see what's bad about having both.

Oyolar, are you also pissed at Nike then? In recent years Nike has had like 6+ different builds of things like the Blazer Low... Nike Sportswear Blazer Low (direct parallel to Vans Classic), Nike Blazer Low '77 (truest to 1970's build, like Vans Vault), Nike SB Zoom Blazer Low (shape is TOTALLY different, panels are altered, but made better for skating), Nike SB GT Blazer, and now even the Nike SB GT Blazer Low Pro, on top of some fashion-specific alterations like Virgil's versions and stuff. Long story short, brands iterate and reiterate on their franchise models.

dilbert1

• Rep: 141
« Reply #41268 on: March 04, 2021, 03:03:11 PM »

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #41269 on: March 04, 2021, 03:34:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

So they are doing the Repeal and Replace that Trump claimed but never made good on??

Also, to make clear, Vans does indeed have at least one other version of the Half Cab, the Classic. Which is like their casual one not optimized for modern skateboarding. I don't see what's bad about having both.
If the skate cabs don't fit me right, I'm actually relieved to still have the classics. I've been ripping the insoles out of those and sticking the popcush in there. Has worked well for me.

Some dude

• Rep: -43
« Reply #41270 on: March 04, 2021, 03:59:00 PM »

Yea..the look of these little checkerboard hits don’t look good at all. they look Marshall’s as fuck. What’s wrong with the classic shit.

yourbreakfsat

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 752
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #41271 on: March 04, 2021, 04:45:27 PM »
I'm surprised it took this long for anyone to post pictures.

I got the Skate Classic Authentics today. Here are the changes aside from the checkerboard tag everyone wants to bitch about.

Here is the box.

Here are the shoes. It came with a set of cream laces as well.

Here's the close up of the foxing tape. It's glossy, but not too noticeable from a distance. If you ever had a pair of the Converse 70s, it's the same thing.

Here is the heel tab.

The heelcup is super sturdy. It feels like a sturdy piece of plastic instead of cardboard. Takes a bit of effort to push down and compress it. When I put the shoes on, the heeltab didn't dig into my heel and didn't cause discomfort or bleeding.

The tongue has two elastic straps.

Here's the underside of the tongue.

Here's the view of the toebox. It seems slimmer than usual, but I can't confirm this as I don't have another pair of Authentics. The toebox has about 1/2" of room before the suede starts.

Let's look at the insole. It's a different version of the Popcush that released in 2020. Comparing it to insoles from my Rowans. These insoles have only been walked around in.

Turning over the insoles, they have different designs. The Skate Classic insole (bottom) feels more sturdy than hard than the Rowan Popcush (top). The Skate Classic insole also feels smooth, almost like a soft plastic.

The Skate Classic insole is lower than the Rowan Popcush.

Bending these insoles together shows that the Skate Classic insole is much firm, while the Rowan Popcush is much easier to bend.

The fit is TTS. The shoe also feels more secure to my feet, compared to my crappy Ultracush-era Eras. I don't know how these skate (yet) as I mainly got these for a daily shoe.

tldr there's way more changes aside from the checkerboard tag you baby

Some dude

• Rep: -43
« Reply #41272 on: March 04, 2021, 04:53:42 PM »

I got the Skate Classic Authentics today. Here are the changes aside from the checkerboard tag everyone wants to bitch about.

Here is the box.

Here's the close up of the foxing tape. It's glossy, but not too noticeable from a distance. If you ever had a pair of the Converse 70s, it's the same thing.

Here is the heel tab.

The heelcup is super sturdy. It feels like a sturdy piece of plastic instead of cardboard. Takes a bit of effort to push down and compress it. When I put the shoes on, the heeltab didn't dig into my heel and didn't cause discomfort or bleeding.

Here's the view of the toebox. It seems slimmer than usual, but I can't confirm this as I don't have another pair of Authentics. The toebox has about 1/2" of room before the suede starts.

Let's look at the insole. It's a different version of the Popcush that released in 2020. Comparing it to insoles from my Rowans. These insoles have only been walked around in.

Turning over the insoles, they have different designs. The Skate Classic insole (bottom) feels more sturdy than hard than the Rowan Popcush (top). The Skate Classic insole also feels smooth, almost like a soft plastic.

Bending these insoles together shows that the Skate Classic insole is much firm, while the Rowan Popcush is much easier to bend.

The fit is TTS. The shoe also feels more secure to my feet, compared to my crappy Ultracush-era Eras. I don't know how these skate (yet) as I mainly got these for a daily shoe.

oof. hard blows. you got me 🥺 the classic shit works just fine 🥰 thanks for wasting your time posting all those pictures for me

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 752
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #41273 on: March 04, 2021, 04:56:24 PM »
Expand Quote

Here is the box.

Here is the heel tab.

[close]

oof. hard blows. you got me 🥺 the classic shit works just fine 🥰 thanks for wasting your time posting all those pictures for me

Lol wasn't a dig specifically at you. Just mainly at everyone in here since all the other stuff is being overshadowed by the tag.

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #41274 on: March 04, 2021, 05:52:30 PM »
@yourbreakfsat good stuff comparing the insoles. I knew they were different and less thick but interesting about the flex.

They were trying to stiffen the shoe in general to mirror the normal classics mainline which maybe came from the insole as well.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #41275 on: March 04, 2021, 06:04:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Oyolar, are you also pissed at Nike then? In recent years Nike has had like 6+ different builds of things like the Blazer Low... Nike Sportswear Blazer Low (direct parallel to Vans Classic), Nike Blazer Low '77 (truest to 1970's build, like Vans Vault), Nike SB Zoom Blazer Low (shape is TOTALLY different, panels are altered, but made better for skating), Nike SB GT Blazer, and now even the Nike SB GT Blazer Low Pro, on top of some fashion-specific alterations like Virgil's versions and stuff. Long story short, brands iterate and reiterate on their franchise models.

I mean, yeah. I also think that's stupid. But notice how only three of those Blazers are SBs? Those are the only ones I actually give a shit thinking about so the fact that Nike has a bunch of other ones for different verticals (tennis, basketball, fashion, etc.) doesn't mean anything to me.

NowhereInLife

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 20
« Reply #41276 on: March 04, 2021, 06:22:25 PM »
checked flag goes with the shiny armor all aesthetic of the sole.  its nice to see vans trying to do something about the pro classics just turning into dirty floppy garbage whose only redeeming quality is boardfeel after a week or two.  but an aqua sock has good boardfeel.

i loved vans pro classics as a quick healing youth but as a mature skater who has recovered from damage and thinks about longevity and gear that's going to keep me healthy, i stay away.

wafflecup is a saving grace.  and popcush being a little squishier so your not teeter tottering on some high heel shit is also step.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #41277 on: March 04, 2021, 07:10:08 PM »
All the new ones don't seem to be anywhere near as expensive as the first ones released, so they might have had second thoughts on trying to hike them up that much, or someone realised they would sell many more at more reasonable prices.

Any of you happy campers seen this too?

Newly added stronger piece of something from the heel to the arch looks good for stopping primo pain or other injuries.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1537
  • Overweight and Underprepared
« Reply #41278 on: March 04, 2021, 07:15:14 PM »
All the new ones don't seem to be anywhere near as expensive as the first ones released, so they might have had second thoughts on trying to hike them up that much, or someone realised they would sell many more at more reasonable prices.

Newly added stronger piece of something from the heel to the arch looks good for stopping primo pain or other injuries.

Vans Authentics are paying 50-60$ for guaranteed heel blisters
"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #41279 on: March 04, 2021, 07:33:06 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Vans Authentics are paying 50-60$ for guaranteed heel blisters

It is in all the new line of shoes, the added stonger heel piece under the footbed in the sole of the shoe.

Apparently you can just see it in the right light.
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.