Author Topic: Post UPCOMING/RECENT shoe releases thread  (Read 8664380 times)

Scarecrow Radio, pekkaaa (+ 1 Hidden) and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

BugleBites

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -68
Re: Post UPCOMING/RECENT shoe releases thread
« Reply #43380 on: October 14, 2021, 07:41:21 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Those Lakais seem to be getting a positive response here, but I don't see it. No way those are better walking around shoes than an average level Nike/NB/Adidas shoe of that type, right? 'Who is this for?' is a valid question about Lakai in general, but I really don't see the appeal in those. And I'm speaking as someone who knows what Lakai is. Any non-skater person you think is attractive at the bar sees those, and just thinks they're from Wal Mart.
[close]
fixed it, and I agree.  Leave the runners to the running shoe companies.
[close]
if that is your stance then every big sports company trying to make skate shoes should fuck off too right?
Either way, those lakais are tight, would 100% rock them!

Haha, gotta agree. If we're saying leave the runners to the sport brands, then yeah, leave the skate shoes to the skate shoe brands. The comments about what non-skaters or some chick would think just show how much people are buying shoes to gain approval from others. I actually like the look of those much better than the average sport brand runner with much worse color combos/panelling.

Velcro Wallet

• Rep: 211
« Reply #43381 on: October 15, 2021, 03:18:01 AM »
Those Capps will look amazing being skated in clips. I like em.

douchenozzle

• Rep: 30
  • "I am the party"-DLR
« Reply #43382 on: October 15, 2021, 05:11:05 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
the james capp lakai evo 2.0 colorway walking shoe looking real nice

[close]

whoever called it the walking shoe on the last page you got a real good laugh from me
[close]

Put a Tiago style sole one them and they'd be even better
[close]

Damn. Not buying lakais but those would be hard to refuse.bthry definitely should make a skateable version. Those look better than most their whole catalogue
They are making a skatable XLK version I think is coming summertime

kneebone

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 342
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #43383 on: October 15, 2021, 06:48:18 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
the james capp lakai evo 2.0 colorway walking shoe looking real nice

[close]

whoever called it the walking shoe on the last page you got a real good laugh from me
[close]

Put a Tiago style sole one them and they'd be even better
[close]

Damn. Not buying lakais but those would be hard to refuse.bthry definitely should make a skateable version. Those look better than most their whole catalogue
[close]
They are making a skatable XLK version I think is coming summertime
Isn't this just the Ellington Li-Ning shoe?

kneebone

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 342
« Reply #43384 on: October 15, 2021, 06:50:28 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Those Lakais seem to be getting a positive response here, but I don't see it. No way those are better walking around shoes than an average level Nike/NB/Adidas shoe of that type, right? 'Who is this for?' is a valid question about Lakai in general, but I really don't see the appeal in those. And I'm speaking as someone who knows what Lakai is. Any non-skater person you think is attractive at the bar sees those, and just thinks they're from Wal Mart.
[close]
[close]
if that is your stance then every big sports company trying to make skate shoes should fuck off too right?
[close]

Haha, gotta agree. If we're saying leave the runners to the sport brands, then yeah, leave the skate shoes to the skate shoe brands.
Yes, 100%.  I actually started to write that in my initial reply then deleted it.  I went through all of 2020 not skating in any major sports brand shoes (although I gotta say that kinda sucked because the core brand vegan options that year were few and far between)

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 75
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #43385 on: October 15, 2021, 07:03:59 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]

Haha, gotta agree. If we're saying leave the runners to the sport brands, then yeah, leave the skate shoes to the skate shoe brands.
[close]
Yes, 100%.  I actually started to write that in my initial reply then deleted it.  I went through all of 2020 not skating in any major sports brand shoes (although I gotta say that kinda sucked because the core brand vegan options that year were few and far between)
all good mate, I’m in your (vegan) boat too. I’ve never bought Nike/ cons, but I’m partial to NB and the 420. Defs want to give emerica more love with their upcoming options.
Would still rock that Lakai as a chiller though

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

venture5.8

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Rep: 10
« Reply #43386 on: October 15, 2021, 07:33:04 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Is there an actual difference with the Half-Cab '92s? When I saw that name on the Reynolds ones I assumed it was just an homage of the colorway or something.
[close]
toe cap is different
[close]

has anybody skated the 92s? it looks like that toe would blow out kinda quick?

Ah interesting. I've got the Reynolds ones on ice right now and they didn't feel wildly different to my Skate Half-Cabs, but those are also pretty worn so it's hard to do a direct A/B comparison.
[close]
It's just two pieces vs one piece

[close]

The side and back panels are slightly different as well. At least on my pairs. Not able to take p photo of them both right now though.

BugleBites

« Reply #43387 on: October 15, 2021, 10:37:58 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]
all good mate, I’m in your (vegan) boat too. I’ve never bought Nike/ cons, but I’m partial to NB and the 420. Defs want to give emerica more love with their upcoming options.
Would still rock that Lakai as a chiller though

I always try on every shoe we get in the shop I work at, and we carry a lot of NB# - somehow those are the most uncomfortable shoes (maybe tied with Vans) that I've ever tried on, consistently. Must be my feet, cause that's the exact opposite of what most customers/other skaters say. They feel super hard, often too narrow in the midfoot. There was one court style shoe they came out with (22) that almost worked but looked really weird once I tried it on, and we never got the colorway without the big N on the side which is a deal breaker for me. Cannot do that big N.

It's funny to go into the NB# thread and see how all over the place people are with the sizing on the Tiago. Some people have to go up half a size, others down half a size, lots of heel slip comments/issues. I've tried every color of that shoe on and had to go up half a size in every one because it was too tight lengthwise, yet even in the tight size I got heel slip with it laced to the top and cranked. Seems weird considering it even had obvious heel lock bumps inside. Ahhh well, I think that shoe is super ugly anyway - doesn't even look like a skate shoe at all.

birdplops

• Rep: 25
« Reply #43388 on: October 16, 2021, 10:15:19 AM »
I always try on every shoe we get in the shop I work at, and we carry a lot of NB# - somehow those are the most uncomfortable shoes (maybe tied with Vans) that I've ever tried on, consistently. Must be my feet, cause that's the exact opposite of what most customers/other skaters say. They feel super hard, often too narrow in the midfoot. There was one court style shoe they came out with (22) that almost worked but looked really weird once I tried it on, and we never got the colorway without the big N on the side which is a deal breaker for me. Cannot do that big N.

It's funny to go into the NB# thread and see how all over the place people are with the sizing on the Tiago. Some people have to go up half a size, others down half a size, lots of heel slip comments/issues. I've tried every color of that shoe on and had to go up half a size in every one because it was too tight lengthwise, yet even in the tight size I got heel slip with it laced to the top and cranked. Seems weird considering it even had obvious heel lock bumps inside. Ahhh well, I think that shoe is super ugly anyway - doesn't even look like a skate shoe at all.

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over, expecting a different result. Do you normally try on different colourways and expect them to be different sizes?

Most shoes have a shit thing on the side and incite disagreements about sizing, this feels like an extended barrage of negativity, however is totally valid and your opinion.

For me, sizing is pretty consistent on NB these days. I'm a UK9 in each of the 255, 440, 913 and 1010. 1010s offer a ton of heel protection, look dope and last for longer than any shoe I've ever worn. In the last 5 years, I've bought more NB over any other brand (adidas offers some nice alternatives), but that's just my opinion.

BugleBites

« Reply #43389 on: October 16, 2021, 10:58:40 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over, expecting a different result. Do you normally try on different colourways and expect them to be different sizes?

Most shoes have a shit thing on the side and incite disagreements about sizing, this feels like an extended barrage of negativity, however is totally valid and your opinion.

For me, sizing is pretty consistent on NB these days. I'm a UK9 in each of the 255, 440, 913 and 1010. 1010s offer a ton of heel protection, look dope and last for longer than any shoe I've ever worn. In the last 5 years, I've bought more NB over any other brand (adidas offers some nice alternatives), but that's just my opinion.

That's why I made sure to say that it must be my feet cause most other people say NB# are very comfortable.

And yes, different colorways of some shoes occasionally do fit different, especially when one is suede and another is full grain leather. Until the last few years I was on shoe flow for 2 decades, usually doing my best to skate the same shoes as long as they're available. I've run into the exact same model fitting differently in different colors plenty of times, and I've heard lots of other people over the years speak about the same thing. But the reason I try on every shoe that comes through the shop is more just due to free time - something to do. With the 1010 I was curious if maybe the heel slip was an anomaly, but it's consistent for me in all the colors I've tried.

And yeah, the 1010 seems to be one of the toughest shoes out right now. I have a friend who absolutely kills shoes, and he came in wearing some 1010's he got a couple weeks earlier with them looking barely scathed. He had been skating tons in them. I haven't heard anyone complain about anything other than the heel slip.

PAWL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -69
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #43390 on: October 18, 2021, 11:21:24 AM »
Couple Half Cab '92's up on the Vans Canada site that I haven't seen anywhere else. The blue ones are Vault (non-removable insole), the red ones are from the Skate line (Popcush). Red ones are not in stock yet, but the pictures are up.

anyone got info on these? been wanting half cabs again and have really liked full grain leather over suede recently.
yo mike mo new age ape style high five with my reborn hand.

2008 psychedelic experience. thanks.

Crap

• Rep: 77
« Reply #43391 on: October 18, 2021, 11:43:44 AM »
Product page is up on the (Canadian) Vans site, but no sizes in stock. I've noticed they do that sometimes on the Canadian site - put up a product page and pictures before they actually have the shoes. Most likely means they're coming pretty soon - the Reynolds Half Cabs were up like that for a week or two before they actually got them in.

pro club blanks

« Reply #43392 on: October 18, 2021, 11:53:04 AM »
Jordan 1 vibes on those half cabs, in a good way

More leather color blocking would be sick

hobochimp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #43393 on: October 18, 2021, 03:13:49 PM »
Get some black laces in those cabs and you've got yourself a chicago cab. Looking real nice.

IanBZHD

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 55
« Reply #43394 on: October 18, 2021, 05:26:57 PM »
I got some of those new Gross "Skate" Sk8-Mids from the Skateboarding line...

Do all of the new skate line feel blocky and stiff? I know the Grosso's have the HD insole, but they don't feel like they will ever break in and basically just have to buy another pair of shoes.

Crabby_Bastard

• Rep: 51
« Reply #43395 on: October 18, 2021, 09:44:27 PM »

Do all of the new skate line feel blocky and stiff? I know the Grosso's have the HD insole, but they don't feel like they will ever break in and basically just have to buy another pair of shoes.

I have had a few different pairs of the new SKATE line. They all break in nicely after 2-3 sessions with the exception of the Half Cab which took twice as long.
How much for an order of ribs?

Bubblegum Tate

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1042
  • Slap's Resident Sneakerhead
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
Ethan Bubblegum Tate - Captain of the Harlem Globetrotters, lecturer of Physics at Globetrotter University.
Tate is one of the best posters that's not me

concerned_parent

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 281
« Reply #43397 on: October 19, 2021, 05:08:45 AM »

i'm wearing those grosso skate mid's right now and they've broken in nicely after walking around in them for a week or so. i have a bunch of the other "skate" line also - they're all definitely more rigid than he pro's, but they feel like they'll keep their shape for longer than a typical vans shoe.

sk8-hi feels really awesome, tongue centering straps do good for them.

old skool feels really secure but kills your ankles.
good come sausage

IanBZHD

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #43398 on: October 19, 2021, 07:15:58 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

i'm wearing those grosso skate mid's right now and they've broken in nicely after walking around in them for a week or so. i have a bunch of the other "skate" line also - they're all definitely more rigid than he pro's, but they feel like they'll keep their shape for longer than a typical vans shoe.

sk8-hi feels really awesome, tongue centering straps do good for them.

old skool feels really secure but kills your ankles.
Hmm well I feel like I ask this question every time Vans releases new molds for their shoes and nobody seems to dislike them like I do each time, and I used to love Vans, so I guess I'm just done with them.
I tried wearing those Grosso Sk8 Mids out on the town for a few weeks and the literally peel the skin off my heels and sides of my pinky toes. Blister Central.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 378
« Reply #43399 on: October 19, 2021, 11:03:00 AM »
I’ve said this before but it’s crazy to me that it seems like every month or two, there are people in here mentioning how a Vans model they’ve skated numerous times before now feels completely different, is destroying their feet, is unskateable, etc.

Crap

« Reply #43400 on: October 19, 2021, 11:29:25 AM »
I’ve said this before but it’s crazy to me that it seems like every month or two, there are people in here mentioning how a Vans model they’ve skated numerous times before now feels completely different, is destroying their feet, is unskateable, etc.

They updated the whole Pro/Skate Classics line in the spring. Pretty much none of the shoes from that line are going to fit the way they did before. In my experience, some are better (Half Cabs), and some are worse (slip ons); but you just need to go to a shop and try them on before you buy them. Don't expect your old favourites to fit and feel the same as they did before; which sucks if you had an old favourite, but is good if you're open to something different, or you (like me) just straight up couldn't wear Vans at all before.

General consensus seems to be that the quality, support, and durability are improved; you just have to find the model that works best for you.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #43401 on: October 19, 2021, 04:45:26 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

They updated the whole Pro/Skate Classics line in the spring. Pretty much none of the shoes from that line are going to fit the way they did before. In my experience, some are better (Half Cabs), and some are worse (slip ons); but you just need to go to a shop and try them on before you buy them. Don't expect your old favourites to fit and feel the same as they did before; which sucks if you had an old favourite, but is good if you're open to something different, or you (like me) just straight up couldn't wear Vans at all before.

General consensus seems to be that the quality, support, and durability are improved; you just have to find the model that works best for you.

Yes exactly this!

If you were used to the old Vans pro moccasin like shoes that were so thin and soft, the new skate line is a big jump in the other direction, being a lot stiffer and longer lasting all round, more supportive and better for your feet.

The only thing is many people are not keen on that kind of shoe, so although they still skate great straight out of the box, they have a totally different feel to older ones.

From a working in a shop perspective (and trying on a lot of the new styles), I would definitely recommend trying them on in person before buying them, as they  do feel quite different, some best going up half a size as well, but given everyone is different, just taking my word for it is not so good for your feet.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #43402 on: October 20, 2021, 06:47:08 AM »
Oh, I don't skate vulcs so it doesn't really impact me. I hadn't skated Vans since the early 2010s until they released the AVE Pro, which I loved and have a second pair on deck. Since I don't skate them frequently and their cupsoles don't seem to change, the changes to their vulc models don't impact me. I'm more commenting upon how frequently people are in this thread talking about how different Vans feel because they retool their entire construction / line seemingly every quarter and I don't understand how people seemingly just go along with it.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #43403 on: October 20, 2021, 08:14:27 AM »
Oh, I don't skate vulcs so it doesn't really impact me. I hadn't skated Vans since the early 2010s until they released the AVE Pro, which I loved and have a second pair on deck. Since I don't skate them frequently and their cupsoles don't seem to change, the changes to their vulc models don't impact me. I'm more commenting upon how frequently people are in this thread talking about how different Vans feel because they retool their entire construction / line seemingly every quarter and I don't understand how people seemingly just go along with it.

I get you now.

I think they have tried to tweak it more and more due to things not being as good as they possibly could be, the change in quality and how the shoe lasts has definitely been a big issue of late, not just for Vans but other brands too, with people going through them more quickly than they used to, but even comparing some of the same shoes from 10 years ago, even 15 years ago to what is on the shelf now, there are huge differences and the newer ones don't feel half as solid as they older ones - in this case the plain / classic Half Cabs.

With the Skate range though, maybe they finally thought they had to pretty much start over and rework all the things in that have been needed right from go, but also to have a higher quality / longer lasting shoe than where they were headed in the pro range - higher price for less everything else just didn't add up.

It will be interesting to see if anything else changes, but for the most part, the classic lines like Old Skools, Sk8 Hi and other shoes have been slipping, even if they are still some of the most iconic looking shoes on the shelf, the older versions last so much better than the newer ones.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Theme For A Jackal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 97
« Reply #43404 on: October 21, 2021, 11:41:24 AM »

I mean all these companies should be making adjustments every season and trying to make their products better, just seems like this recent Vans stuff has been a step back

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #43405 on: October 21, 2021, 11:58:29 AM »
I’m not saying brands should phone it in. I think tweaks like better glues, better insoles, stronger suede, better dyes, etc. should all be done too. Even something like what Adidas did where the massively reworked the Suciu 1 into the Suciu 2 makes sense, where since the changes made the shoe feel and skate so differently, they gave it a new name.

Vans doesn’t seem to be doing that. They seem to be making major changes that change the experience of the shoe (and are often for the worse based on this thread) but keep the names, marketing, etc. the same. From the outside, it seems like they’re just messing with people almost.

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 470
« Reply #43406 on: October 21, 2021, 12:38:06 PM »
Vans is such a large company and they cater to streetwear for casuals, skate shoes, surf shoes, snow, BMX, etc., it's no surprise that eventually they "rework" their current line to be "better". It's a simple phenomenon and people are over complicating it.

Not having Pro Classics > Pro Classics & Pro Models > Skate Classics and Pro Skate Models. That's been their trajectory.

Vans keeps MOST of the marketing (name, look, familiarity, etc.) almost the same while they retool the lasts, material, features, and overall feel of their models for this newest iteration. The Pro Classics models got stale and were growing in mixed reviews. Vans revamped it so the shoes are better tailored for their customer base (their marketing strategy may have been too aggressive in areas, which confuses some and not others).

Believe they're pulling our chain all you want  but this is the first round of Vans that is actually substantially different than previous ones. They're not soft, soggy potatoes with laces anymore. There is structure: stiffer sole and vulc wrap, midfoot/heel shank, and tongue straps. All of these make them fit and feel different then what people are used to.

TL;DR
Vans rebranded slightly in model names to usher in *NEW* shoe tech while also preserving familiarity of what we know.  Will some like the new real changes? Yes. Will some not like them? Also yes.
Super Champion Fun Zone

Crap

« Reply #43407 on: October 21, 2021, 01:10:08 PM »
They were previously trying to do those small tweaks here and there - better insoles, stronger suede, etc. - for a while with the Pro Classics line. They made those changes subtly, and didn't market them much. Probably because they weren't big changes, and most people wouldn't notice.

The recent change - the Skate line - was a full overhaul of almost every shoe they make (for the purpose of skating). They used a new rubber compound in the sole, and fundamentally changed the construction of the shoes in a number of significant ways (the heel shank, the tongue straps on every model); so they marketed it heavily.

They weren't messing with anyone - they changed the product significantly, and advertised it. I thought the Pro Classics line stunk from day one, and I was glad to see the changes they made. There will certainly be people who liked the Old Skool Pro who will hate the Skate Old Skool, but that's just their preference for what shoe they like. It doesn't mean Vans tricked them - they were pretty upfront about the changes.

IanBZHD

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #43408 on: October 21, 2021, 02:56:15 PM »
They were previously trying to do those small tweaks here and there - better insoles, stronger suede, etc. - for a while with the Pro Classics line. They made those changes subtly, and didn't market them much. Probably because they weren't big changes, and most people wouldn't notice.

The recent change - the Skate line - was a full overhaul of almost every shoe they make (for the purpose of skating). They used a new rubber compound in the sole, and fundamentally changed the construction of the shoes in a number of significant ways (the heel shank, the tongue straps on every model); so they marketed it heavily.

They weren't messing with anyone - they changed the product significantly, and advertised it. I thought the Pro Classics line stunk from day one, and I was glad to see the changes they made. There will certainly be people who liked the Old Skool Pro who will hate the Skate Old Skool, but that's just their preference for what shoe they like. It doesn't mean Vans tricked them - they were pretty upfront about the changes.
Right, they've been changing the pro line for over a decade subtly, for the worse usually in my case.

I think the major issue is people used to skate the Vans Classics because they were different than all the puffy shoes around at the time, now that Vans is actually putting a large marketing campaign into their "skate" line changes more people are definitely skating in the shoes but not for the same reason.
So the people who liked the Classics but just wanted 1mm more insole padding and higher quality suede are now getting the "skate" line that feels like a completely different shoe. Honestly the old Vans Vault shoes were the best feeling era meshing Classic shape and slightly more padding. /Rant