Author Topic: Post UPCOMING/RECENT shoe releases thread  (Read 8663600 times)

JugeL, Shuh (+ 1 Hidden) and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

DarkPools

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 470
Re: Post UPCOMING/RECENT shoe releases thread
« Reply #47340 on: January 12, 2023, 12:50:34 AM »
Cons from 2008-2015 were sooo good! Padded chucks and fascinating silhouettes. Star Player S were some of the best vulcs out for its time. Way more interesting than the One Star and Chucks they stuck with. They're timeless (I get it and like them), but it would be nice for Cons to branch back out with their vulc designs and lean into Weapon/Fastbreak territory! Especially nowadays since it feels like they would do better now possibly.

Star Player
KA-1 & KA-2
Weapon
Trapasso
Poppalardo
The Rune
Other lesser known Cons vulcs you could find at department stores actually ruled at the time. There was some Vans Chukka imitator that was one of my favorites back in 2011 after skating some Star Players. Can't remember the name of find a photo right now.

Anyway, here's the Rune shoe. I had a pair in 2012. Pretty solid shoe, actually. Black/white and not offensive on the eyes

« Last Edit: January 12, 2023, 01:06:43 PM by DarkPools »
Super Champion Fun Zone

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #47341 on: January 12, 2023, 04:09:05 AM »
Cons from 2008-2015 were sooo good! Padded chucks and fascinating silhouettes. Star Player S were some of the best vulcs out for its time. Way more interesting than the One Star and Chucks they stuck with. They're timtike. (I get it snd like them), but it would be nice for Cons to branch back out with their vulc designs and lean into Weapon/Fastbreak territory! Especially nowadays since it feels like they would do better now possibly.

Star Player
KA-1 & KA-2
Weapon
Trapasso
Poppalardo
The Rune
Other lesser known Cons vulcs you could find at department stores actually ruled at the time. There was some Vans Chukka imitator that was one of my favorites back in 2011 after skating some Star Players. Can't remember the name of find a photo right now.

Anyway, here's the Rune shoe. I had a pair in 2012. Pretty solid shoe, actually. Black/white and not offensive on the eyes

Dam that's possibly another rune shoe maybe he had 4 (depending on how you seperate them). That one looks to have a kind of faux vulc cupsole.

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1032
« Reply #47342 on: January 12, 2023, 06:49:31 AM »
so how do we peer pressure converse into reviving a product line from over a decade ago?

dstrytruitt

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 100
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #47343 on: January 12, 2023, 06:50:51 AM »
Those Dime Merrells look like shit but I'm glad I'm not looking at nasty 2009 Cons anymore.

MusclesMarinara

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 100
« Reply #47344 on: January 12, 2023, 07:14:41 AM »
so how do we peer pressure converse into reviving a product line from over a decade ago?

Idk but those were some good shoes. Cons now just stick with their classics and just labeling it a skate version, which is a damn shame.
Alex Olson never had the makings of a varsity athlete.

jerrygurneyscream

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 130
« Reply #47345 on: January 12, 2023, 07:36:35 AM »

Got a pair of Merrell's last year for hiking and they feel like walking on clouds.

I want these purple ones so bad. My group chat with my skate homies is going up over these right now, One dude hates them cause theyre hiking shoes and then another dude hates them cause he hiked the AT last year and that model in particular gave him a foot infection (after 200 miles of walking). I think theyre cool cause theyre purple

yourfuckingdad

• Rep: -7
« Reply #47346 on: January 12, 2023, 12:01:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I had these. Not the best color but were $30 and lasted forever.

[close]
Also the memory foam tongue worked so well. High density but not too thick. Protected your foot super well.
[close]

i love the mid brown suede all stars!  Never seen them.
The heel is little lower and more padded then the classic all star, where to buy - still available?
Woud buy immediately!

They haven't made these in years, instead opting for the thin tongue chuck taylors.

I would look on eBay for "Cons CTS Mid" and maybe you'll get lucky.

Turtle Boy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 169
« Reply #47347 on: January 16, 2023, 05:39:05 AM »
As we are talking about nostalgia, I tried to check if I could have some information about the upcoming Etnies MC Rap, because I wondered if it would have the Michelin outsole, which would make it an amazing alternative to dunks. So the answer is no Michelin sole. The colorways are good enough, but the price seems to be around 110€ which is really steep for that kind of shoe.
Here are some colorways.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2023, 05:47:01 AM by Turtle Boy »

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #47348 on: January 16, 2023, 06:11:32 AM »
Those mids look pretty nice. Anyone know if that classic etnies sole has any kind of midsole or is it like the classic hollow grid

Crap

• Rep: 77
« Reply #47349 on: January 16, 2023, 06:20:12 AM »
Looks like they did Accel Slim to the Etnies Raps, but I might still try on those white ones if the sole isn't Accel Slim-level thin. I'm already mad because I can tell they don't have the distinctive, era-correct sole or tread pattern.

Turtle Boy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 169
« Reply #47350 on: January 16, 2023, 07:22:18 AM »
Those mids look pretty nice. Anyone know if that classic etnies sole has any kind of midsole or is it like the classic hollow grid

This is how it looks: It seems like the old marana sole before it went Michelin

« Last Edit: January 16, 2023, 01:06:18 PM by Turtle Boy »

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #47351 on: January 16, 2023, 07:43:01 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

This is how it looks: It seems like a the old marana sole before it went Michelin

Very tempting. It's a race to what goes on sale first out of those and the penny 2s.

HaveFunSkateboarding

• Rep: 20
« Reply #47352 on: January 16, 2023, 08:23:03 AM »
As we are talking about nostalgia, I tried to check if I could have some information about the upcoming Etnies MC Rap, because I wondered if it would have the Michelin outsole, which would make it an amazing alternative to dunks. So the answer is no Michelin sole. The colorways are good enough, but the price seems to be around 110€ which is really steep for that kind of shoe.
Here are some colorways.

I find it amazing that people would wear a red white and blue shoe.

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 500
« Reply #47353 on: January 16, 2023, 08:39:03 AM »
Expand Quote
Here are some colorways.

[close]

I find it amazing that people would wear a red white and blue shoe.

yeah i get what you're saying, it's a little too french for my tastes too

Watson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2197
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #47354 on: January 16, 2023, 09:34:19 AM »
Meh another Soletech reissue that could have been good but isn't. Not offended by slimming it down a bit, but not having that OG tread pattern is a huge mistake. Not to mention any colourways that don't suck are ruined by the perforated leather panels. What year is it? 2007? No one wants that shit. Speaking of 2007 shit no one wants, I've said it many many times but Etnies have to avoid that fucking Mike V motocross arrow E logo on their retro shoes. One of the nastiest logos in skate history.

If you're gonna retro some shoes, use some retro logos. They have great logos in their history they can pick from.

kneebone

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 342
« Reply #47355 on: January 16, 2023, 09:41:08 AM »
Re: the high price, you just have to wait one season and all SoleTech brands typically slash the prices by 50% on the non-carryover colors

LebowskisRug

« Reply #47356 on: January 16, 2023, 06:13:56 PM »
Dime x Merrell
https://www.instagram.com/p/CnSMIFlJH10/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

This collab made me realize Dime is pretty bogus these days. The Reebok collab looked pretty shitty for a $120 shoe and joke is on the streetwear kids Merrel isn't some kind of sick brand you'd want a one off of. They're for people that live in Berkeley that have Bernie stickers on their car but talk shit on homeless people. If Portlandia was a shoe it would be this shoe.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #47357 on: January 16, 2023, 06:17:54 PM »
Expand Quote

Got a pair of Merrell's last year for hiking and they feel like walking on clouds.
[close]

I want these purple ones so bad. My group chat with my skate homies is going up over these right now, One dude hates them cause theyre hiking shoes and then another dude hates them cause he hiked the AT last year and that model in particular gave him a foot infection (after 200 miles of walking). I think theyre cool cause theyre purple

Merrels aren't a great hiking shoes for most people. The people that tend to buy them are really old people that use poles to hike and want stiff as bricks with subpar soles. I know a lot of people that are really into mountaineering, backpacking, etc. and a few that do product reviews for well-read publications and Merrel is one of the cringey REI brands that people typically avoid. Rich nerds think they're great because they're leather and look a bit more high end than they are. Good for people that think that really smooth out and back trails are rugged day treks.

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1020
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
« Reply #47358 on: January 16, 2023, 06:35:00 PM »
I prefer trail runners, I can’t do the stiff no Eva midsole. Also the hard toe makes my toenails fall off if the trail has a steep elevation gain and on the way back you’re just smashing your toes the whole way back.
Merrell has been a budget brand from the start, below keen which isn’t much below it but still.
I don’t hate the shoes but they sure aren’t for me.
Seems like Dime hasn’t been selling out drops like they used to.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #47359 on: January 16, 2023, 06:57:23 PM »
I think at this point I see Dime less as a skate brand and more as a second or third tier streetwear brand.

roba

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 713
« Reply #47360 on: January 17, 2023, 04:41:01 AM »

This collab made me realize Dime is pretty bogus these days. The Reebok collab looked pretty shitty for a $120 shoe and joke is on the streetwear kids Merrel isn't some kind of sick brand you'd want a one off of. They're for people that live in Berkeley that have Bernie stickers on their car but talk shit on homeless people. If Portlandia was a shoe it would be this shoe.

i have the dime workouts in black, they are only like 10 bucks more expensive than the regular workout plus and the quality of the materials is nice, they're pretty well made. i have the dime kamikazes and those were pretty shitty, i accidentaly burned a hole in one shoe with the fucking ashes from a cigarette lol
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

Crap

• Rep: 77
« Reply #47361 on: January 17, 2023, 05:38:00 AM »
I'm not very knowledgeable about hiking or outdoor gear, but I think the Dime x Merrells are cool. I don't really know what makes a good hiking shoe versus a bad one, and it probably doesn't matter to me because I don't go hiking in any serious way. I'm not going to buy them, but I feel like the point of the collab was to get someone like me to buy them, not someone who goes on the hiking equivalent of Slap. I think they're trying to sell Merrell to a Dime customer, not Dime to a Merrell customer.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #47362 on: January 17, 2023, 08:09:40 AM »
Nah hiking shoes are trendy see also kids wearing Nike ACG and Salomon hiking shoes that never leave pavement. The point is for Dime to play in that arena and shops that don't sell skate gear. Merrell is just kind of a lame brand to do that with.

If you're paying only $10 less for workouts let me tell you about his website called Google where you can easily find colors on sale for half the price. I thought the suede and stitching looked cheap for the cost.

ChompskyHonk

• Rep: 8
  • flow state in the bruh dimension
« Reply #47363 on: January 17, 2023, 08:12:40 AM »
I think at this point I see Dime less as a skate brand and more as a second or third tier streetwear brand.

facts but their designs are still infinitely better than palace and supreme in my opinion. i think they're more or less on the same level as stussy, with better prices and cooler shit than the bigger and overhyped streetwear brands. that's perfectly fine in my book because i like being able to afford and actually buy things i like. also who gives a fuck as long as they keep sponsoring alexis lacroix and doing the glory challenge

roba

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #47364 on: January 17, 2023, 08:47:19 AM »
Nah hiking shoes are trendy see also kids wearing Nike ACG and Salomon hiking shoes that never leave pavement. The point is for Dime to play in that arena and shops that don't sell skate gear. Merrell is just kind of a lame brand to do that with.

If you're paying only $10 less for workouts let me tell you about his website called Google where you can easily find colors on sale for half the price. I thought the suede and stitching looked cheap for the cost.

i never bought workouts before and i was talking about retail prices, not sale prices. judging by a real pair and not pictures online the suede is good quality and there's nothing wrong with the stitching, no glue residue, they're uncomparably better made than current non sb dunks for example.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

Watson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2197
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #47365 on: January 17, 2023, 08:51:56 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

facts but their designs are still infinitely better than palace and supreme in my opinion. i think they're more or less on the same level as stussy, with better prices and cooler shit than the bigger and overhyped streetwear brands. that's perfectly fine in my book because i like being able to afford and actually buy things i like. also who gives a fuck as long as they keep sponsoring alexis lacroix and doing the glory challenge

apbarbs

• Rep: 2
« Reply #47366 on: January 17, 2023, 09:22:18 AM »
i think dime's target demo probably thinks merrell is really cool, at least around here it's pretty popular (although i don't hike so i can't speak to whether or not they're popular with actual hikers)

also my thoughts on dime are:
1. their outwear, pants, etc seem to be decently made and are often well designed but i would never wear something that said Dime on it
2. they have some really cool graphic tees, like the Java logo and the Magic the Gathering logo, but again would never wear anything visibly Dime

LebowskisRug

« Reply #47367 on: January 17, 2023, 10:05:50 AM »
I like their basic logo stuff and some of their graphics don't get me wrong. I have a low key Dime crewneck and hat. I think the stuff that I don't like is their pants and jackets with all the wavy designs but that's just not my style. I guess I see them merging more towards what Butter is going after, which seems like a different transition than the gear I liked that was more understated. And of course it's great if it funds the Glory Challenge. Brands naturally evolve, but it doesn't mean the evolution is always to everyone's liking.

thehogsniper

• Rep: 55
« Reply #47368 on: January 17, 2023, 10:07:59 AM »
dime is just a lifestyle brand at this point, a lot of non-skaters are wearing/buying dime. I don't mind personally, but like every dime shoe release outside of vans has been unskateable. just like palace.

roba

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #47369 on: January 17, 2023, 10:16:26 AM »
dime is just a lifestyle brand at this point, a lot of non-skaters are wearing/buying dime. I don't mind personally, but like every dime shoe release outside of vans has been unskateable. just like palace.

nah some palace shoes were def skateable

these dime workouts that just came out are also skateable, so many people skated the regular workout and the dime ones are the same shoe, bb4000 also seems pretty skateable
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate