Author Topic: Post UPCOMING/RECENT shoe releases thread  (Read 8699208 times)

europa1991, Space Monkey and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

Frank

• Mods
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
Re: Post UPCOMING/RECENT shoe releases thread
« Reply #47940 on: March 03, 2023, 04:17:44 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
new player enter the skate shoe game

https://www.ejendals.com/jalas-safety-shoes/jalas-shoe-collections/jalas-tempus-shoe-collection/

JALAS safety shoes made in Finland, since 1916, unfortunately ugly as hell - but I trust in Scandinavic
quality of production. If some of you need a good safety shoe - you can have a session in-between.
All the warehouse ogre, UPS courier pirates  and Skatepark builders- give it a try.
[close]

Finland ain’t Scandinavia.   Possibly Nordic, but def not Scandi
[close]

Scandinavia (/ˌskændɪˈneɪviə/ SKAN-di-NAY-vee-ə) is a subregion in Northern Europe, with strong historical, cultural, and linguistic ties between its constituent peoples. In English usage, Scandinavia most commonly refers to Denmark, Norway, and Sweden. It can sometimes also refer more narrowly to the Scandinavian Peninsula (which excludes Denmark but includes part of Finland), or more broadly to include all of Finland, Iceland, and the Faroe Islands.[4][c]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scandinavia
[close]

That sentence before the bold is key.    I guess it’s just been rammed through by misuse like “literally” and “chomping at the bit”.   

My understanding is that it wasn’t culturally Scandinavian bc they have a greater link to … Russia historically
[close]

finnish people are their own thing. their culture used to be more like inuit way back. russian/slavic culture is way younger than any sort of finnish identity. russia tried to conquer finland or parts of it a couple times. generally i don't think the two nations been on good terms since forever. the reason finland wasn't in nato wasn't necessarily that they were friendly with russia. they hold a national grudge and insisted on facing them alone at their border for the longest time, mostly as a show of force as in finland isn't afraid of russia and doesn't need help to defend itself. finland has ties to scandinavia because after the treaty of roskilde in the 16. century it became part of the swedish empire along with what is now estonia, lithuania and latvia. the finnish language is in its own family with hungarian and a few other languages mainly spoken in north siberia and far east russia. it's not related to any european language except hungarian.
[close]

Awesome, good to know but for the tldr people - I was right and Finland is Nordic not Scandi?

Also, is there any substantive difference between Finns and Lapps
technically they are not scandi. they are not really nordic either, since they are not directly related to nordic germanic people. they are like the og nordics. i think they were up there before scandinavians arrived. allegedly they were like an offshoot of the indo-european basepopulation around the black sea/caucasus that went a little earlier out from farther east and did like a long hook via far north east asia, the northern russian coastline and then ended up in what is now finland. hungarians are another wave of immigrants to europe from central asia that went off from the same basepopulation -language than fins way before, but since they were isolated from each other for a few hundred years and didn't really know about their relation to each other anyways until later on, their languages are now fairly different. anyways, the hungarians were like steppe horse warriors similar to scyths, mongols and huns and went straight west to europe with no detour to siberia.

maybe a finnish guy can chime in. this is like all the knowledge about finnish history and language i've acquired in my whole life lol. just straight up infodumped it here. maybe we should ask fins how they feel about being called scandinavians lol. i don't even know, some of my info might now be false or a bit inaccurate. this is stuff from when i was studying comparative linguistics and history.

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 262
« Reply #47941 on: March 03, 2023, 05:19:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

https://www.ejendals.com/jalas-safety-shoes/jalas-shoe-collections/jalas-tempus-shoe-collection/

JALAS safety shoes made in Finland, since 1916, unfortunately ugly as hell - but I trust in Scandinavic
quality of production. If some of you need a good safety shoe - you can have a session in-between.
All the warehouse ogre, UPS courier pirates  and Skatepark builders- give it a try.
[close]

[close]

Scandinavia (/ˌskændɪˈneɪviə/ SKAN-di-NAY-vee-ə) is a subregion in Northern Europe, with strong historical, cultural, and linguistic ties between its constituent peoples. In English usage, Scandinavia most commonly refers to Denmark, Norway, and Sweden. It can sometimes also refer more narrowly to the Scandinavian Peninsula (which excludes Denmark but includes part of Finland), or more broadly to include all of Finland, Iceland, and the Faroe Islands.[4][c]

[close]

That sentence before the bold is key.    I guess it’s just been rammed through by misuse like “literally” and “chomping at the bit”.   

My understanding is that it wasn’t culturally Scandinavian bc they have a greater link to … Russia historically
[close]

finnish people are their own thing. their culture used to be more like inuit way back. russian/slavic culture is way younger than any sort of finnish identity. russia tried to conquer finland or parts of it a couple times. generally i don't think the two nations been on good terms since forever. the reason finland wasn't in nato wasn't necessarily that they were friendly with russia. they hold a national grudge and insisted on facing them alone at their border for the longest time, mostly as a show of force as in finland isn't afraid of russia and doesn't need help to defend itself. finland has ties to scandinavia because after the treaty of roskilde in the 16. century it became part of the swedish empire along with what is now estonia, lithuania and latvia. the finnish language is in its own family with hungarian and a few other languages mainly spoken in north siberia and far east russia. it's not related to any european language except hungarian.
[close]

Awesome, good to know but for the tldr people - I was right and Finland is Nordic not Scandi?

[close]
technically they are not scandi. they are not really nordic either, since they are not directly related to nordic germanic people. they are like the og nordics. i think they were up there before scandinavians arrived. allegedly they were like an offshoot of the indo-european basepopulation around the black sea/caucasus that went a little earlier out from farther east and did like a long hook via far north east asia, the northern russian coastline and then ended up in what is now finland. hungarians are another wave of immigrants to europe from central asia that went off from the same basepopulation -language than fins way before, but since they were isolated from each other for a few hundred years and didn't really know about their relation to each other anyways until later on, their languages are now fairly different. anyways, the hungarians were like steppe horse warriors similar to scyths, mongols and huns and went straight west to europe with no detour to siberia.

maybe a finnish guy can chime in. this is like all the knowledge about finnish history and language i've acquired in my whole life lol. just straight up infodumped it here. maybe we should ask fins how they feel about being called scandinavians lol. i don't even know, some of my info might now be false or a bit inaccurate. this is stuff from when i was studying comparative linguistics and history.

I think it’s great to read.  Better than some dry google.  Thanks for an introduction in the topic

rosemaryBB

• Rep: 33
« Reply #47942 on: March 03, 2023, 07:30:29 PM »

The Dishwasher Pro

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
« Reply #47943 on: March 03, 2023, 07:55:47 PM »

Absolutely not upcoming/recent and prob not even available outside of Aus and maybe NZ but these are safety shoes that are totally skateable

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #47944 on: March 03, 2023, 11:25:31 PM »
Interesting discussion about Finnish people. We are definitely closer to the Scandinavians in culture than Russians but that probably comes from the past few hundred years more than anything. Our language is indeed different than everything else, except Hungarian and Estonian. Most Finnish people consider Finland as being a part of Scandinavia even though it isn’t. This probably comes from the close cultural connections of the past few hundred years. Life is pretty similar here to Sweden even though the language is completely different. We do have to learn Swedish in school though as we have a large Swedish speaking population in Finland also and it is our second official language. Russian influences to our culture are much smaller than in all(?) other countries in Eastern Europe, which we don’t consider us being part of even though geographically we are.

The Sami people from Lapland are a whole another topic I won’t go into now.  :)

And shoes, yeah. Personally I find Jalas safety shoes to be shit. I much prefer Sievi, another Finnish safety shoe company. Made in Finland, really good quality and fits my feet perfectly. Some models are also halfway decent looking.

SlapTM

• Rep: 242
« Reply #47945 on: March 04, 2023, 12:20:44 AM »
As someone else already said, a Romero Laced with some heel/ankle/Achilles protection is the addition that shoe has always been craving. Not really into the Royal Elastics look of that iteration, but would love if they built it into the existing Romero Laced
As somebody else mentioned, the Romero Laced is getting an "upgrade" to be more comfortable and with the heel pillow that's on the slip-on, Dickson, etc.

Expand Quote
As someone else already said, a Romero Laced with some heel/ankle/Achilles protection is the addition that shoe has always been craving. Not really into the Royal Elastics look of that iteration, but would love if they built it into the existing Romero Laced
[close]

There’s no point in this shoe to me. With the slip cup existing why would you buy this which has a worse sole for the same price. They need to start putting the g6 on everything
Except it's not the same price. The Romero Skater will be $10 less than the Slip Cup so it's technically in a whole different price tier. Agree though on how great the pour-in G6 is.

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 540
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #47946 on: March 04, 2023, 12:55:58 AM »
Alright, that’s some good info but is the Skater like a sister shoe to the Laced then? One a full slip on and the other just with better padding and fully laceable?

I love the Laceds cupsole opposed to the sole on the Spanly and the slip cup which to me just feels a little too beefy, so I hope the Laced remains with just a few comforts added.

DCLOVE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -485
« Reply #47947 on: March 04, 2023, 01:36:08 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
As somebody else mentioned, the Romero Laced is getting an "upgrade" to be more comfortable and with the heel pillow that's on the slip-on, Dickson, etc.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

There’s no point in this shoe to me. With the slip cup existing why would you buy this which has a worse sole for the same price. They need to start putting the g6 on everything
[close]
Except it's not the same price. The Romero Skater will be $10 less than the Slip Cup so it's technically in a whole different price tier. Agree though on how great the pour-in G6 is.

Makes sense I forgot the g6 typically adds a little . Is it a personal preference of Leo or is it just to keep the price lower? The slip cup seems like it’d be his ideal shoe.
PINE 2009, 2010, 2011, 2020, PINE STILL MAKIN' MONEY.

SlapTM

« Reply #47948 on: March 04, 2023, 03:03:16 AM »
Alright, that’s some good info but is the Skater like a sister shoe to the Laced then? One a full slip on and the other just with better padding and fully laceable?

I love the Laceds cupsole opposed to the sole on the Spanly and the slip cup which to me just feels a little too beefy, so I hope the Laced remains with just a few comforts added.
Yeah exactly, it sits next to the Laced, just a slip on version. The Skater actually has both a heel pillow and a little bit more of a padded collar.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

Makes sense I forgot the g6 typically adds a little . Is it a personal preference of Leo or is it just to keep the price lower? The slip cup seems like it’d be his ideal shoe.

Leo actually prefers his Laced sole over the pour-in.

DCLOVE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -485
« Reply #47949 on: March 04, 2023, 04:06:26 PM »
Interesting . I skated a Bunch of Romero laced years ago but it was when I was 20 so I could take more of the impact but that g6 sole really does the trick for Me now . I guess I could see where the laced sole fits him more still since he’s really only doing grinds and the impact is typically a little less intense coming off a rail compared to straight jumping.
PINE 2009, 2010, 2011, 2020, PINE STILL MAKIN' MONEY.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #47950 on: March 04, 2023, 05:57:10 PM »
Interesting discussion about Finnish people. We are definitely closer to the Scandinavians in culture than Russians but that probably comes from the past few hundred years more than anything. Our language is indeed different than everything else, except Hungarian and Estonian. Most Finnish people consider Finland as being a part of Scandinavia even though it isn’t. This probably comes from the close cultural connections of the past few hundred years. Life is pretty similar here to Sweden even though the language is completely different. We do have to learn Swedish in school though as we have a large Swedish speaking population in Finland also and it is our second official language. Russian influences to our culture are much smaller than in all(?) other countries in Eastern Europe, which we don’t consider us being part of even though geographically we are.

The Sami people from Lapland are a whole another topic I won’t go into now.  :)

And shoes, yeah. Personally I find Jalas safety shoes to be shit. I much prefer Sievi, another Finnish safety shoe company. Made in Finland, really good quality and fits my feet perfectly. Some models are also halfway decent looking.

thx for that info :) totally missed estonia also has a related language. finland is dope. i forgot the name of that finnish homie vid that came out maybe last year? one of the best vids i've seen that year and it made me want to visit finland real bad. these days i have a real bad videoname memory due to the oversaturisation of vids.

i couldn't imagine skating any safety shoe lol. hard toe cap is an instant dealbreaker for a skate shoe for me.

just to get back on topic and since @EmericaTM is in the house, is there a release date for any mj reissue for the emerica (eu)website? i'm trying to hold my money together to get one as soon as they drop in a colorway i like. thanks

Shuh

• Rep: 3
« Reply #47951 on: March 04, 2023, 08:37:08 PM »
Hey how long does it take to break in a dunk hi? Just wondering

lurker_and_poster

• Rep: 27
« Reply #47952 on: March 05, 2023, 01:37:33 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

This is what I love about slap.interesting read.

Sorry for mixing up - if Nordic is the right term.
To be honest I visit Denmark and Sweden manny times - but unlucky never made it up north to Finnland.
Heard only good things…
Traveling and meeting Finns and Swedes gave me the feeling they get along pretty fine - and sharing at least the Swedish language, and having a Schnaps at the bar after dinner culture very seriously.

Remember once at the Mystic cup I shared an room with two lady’s - since I left early and come back late - I haven’t meet them. One morning after a long night - I was waking up late and still drunk and very confused because two elf style ( pale white skin, white gown, long whit blonde hair) girls standing side by side at my bed and talking to me - and I didn’t understand a single word.
Took a while - they understood switch language once to Swedish, and then to English.
For what ever reason they thought I was a Finn, or least a Swedish.
May because the receptionist gave wrong info - I was arriving/ checking a week before with a group of Hungarian and Swedish- but had nothing to do with this guys. May also to make them comfortable to share the room with me…

Sampo64700

• Rep: 6
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #47953 on: March 05, 2023, 03:28:50 AM »

thx for that info :) totally missed estonia also has a related language. finland is dope. i forgot the name of that finnish homie vid that came out maybe last year? one of the best vids i've seen that year and it made me want to visit finland real bad. these days i have a real bad videoname memory due to the oversaturisation of vids.

Thanks for the kind words back when the video came out by the way.

Back to the topic, pre-ordered my size of navy/white OG-1 through the local shop. Original Marc's and DC Howard 1's have been the shoes with a lot nostalgia for me.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #47954 on: March 05, 2023, 06:14:36 AM »
^

thank you so much for posting that link

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 272
« Reply #47955 on: March 06, 2023, 03:28:22 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Absolutely not upcoming/recent and prob not even available outside of Aus and maybe NZ but these are safety shoes that are totally skateable

steel toe?

SlapTM

« Reply #47956 on: March 06, 2023, 09:23:32 AM »
just to get back on topic and since @EmericaTM is in the house, is there a release date for any mj reissue for the emerica (eu)website? i'm trying to hold my money together to get one as soon as they drop in a colorway i like. thanks
The Navy/White should be available around August and then Black/White sometime around October.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #47957 on: March 06, 2023, 09:52:21 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
The Navy/White should be available around August and then Black/White sometime around October.

thanks for the info!

FROTHY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 373
« Reply #47958 on: March 06, 2023, 06:11:16 PM »

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 262
« Reply #47959 on: March 06, 2023, 06:21:43 PM »

Great idea.  If I liked the ways accels felt and looked on foot in 2023 id be all over these.   I dig it

VCR

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 194
« Reply #47960 on: March 06, 2023, 06:28:49 PM »
Big time bummer on those Accels

grassblade

« Reply #47961 on: March 06, 2023, 10:30:21 PM »
eS is fucking terrible, please make it stop

Bigfoot is real

« Reply #47962 on: March 07, 2023, 01:29:06 AM »

It was once my favorite, but now its just such a shell of its former self. Idk who buys 'es these days, I can't imagine the nostalgia-sneaker-collector is big enough market to keep food on the table over there.

douchenozzle

• Rep: 32
  • "I am the party"-DLR
« Reply #47963 on: March 07, 2023, 06:44:26 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Great idea.  If I liked the ways accels felt and looked on foot in 2023 id be all over these.   I dig it
Not gonna lie, this is alright. The thing that stops me from buying these is these shoes are more than likely big bulky potatoes on your feet

Pasta Monster

« Reply #47964 on: March 07, 2023, 07:18:50 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

It was once my favorite, but now its just such a shell of its former self. Idk who buys 'es these days, I can't imagine the nostalgia-sneaker-collector is big enough market to keep food on the table over there.
If it couldn’t work out in ~2010 with the team they had, it seems silly to think it would work now. They’ve been trying to ride on the nostalgia train, but they aren’t good at it unlike DC.

DERBY

• Rep: 254
« Reply #47965 on: March 07, 2023, 07:21:10 AM »
ave mids?

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 438
« Reply #47966 on: March 07, 2023, 08:03:38 AM »
ave mids?

Look more like Rowley Shams than AVE's

EDIT- Maybe a Fairlane mid
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

lurker_and_poster

• Rep: 27
« Reply #47967 on: March 07, 2023, 10:28:07 AM »
ave mids?

doesn’t look like that - but I like your idea!

Thebird

• Rep: 158
« Reply #47968 on: March 07, 2023, 10:37:03 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
Not gonna lie, this is alright. The thing that stops me from buying these is these shoes are more than likely big bulky potatoes on your feet

And the fact that es will probably have them at like $120 or something ridiculous when they drop.

rosemaryBB

• Rep: 33
« Reply #47969 on: March 07, 2023, 11:37:09 AM »
Expand Quote
ave mids?

[close]

doesn’t look like that - but I like your idea!

Aves would look amazing as a mid/high, been low-key dreaming about that for forever