Author Topic: Movies  (Read 6372 times)

HenryChinaski

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 28
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Movies
« on: September 12, 2006, 07:16:43 PM »
I’ve had a lot of free time lately, so as part of my daily regimen I have been watching a movie while I drink a little wine at night before I go to sleep. So, I thought I would start this topic about films that you have seen lately, to discuss them and let other people know if they are worth seeing or not. They don’t have to be new films, maybe just new to you. I’ll start it off with a few that I have watched recently that I really liked:

MIAMI VICE- I loved this movie. It’s such a gritty piece of film noir. I am not a fan of Jamie Foxx or Colin F., but I thought they were both great as Crockett and Tubbs. This is such a vibrant, beautifully shot film. I loved the scene in the trailer park with Gina and Tubbs vs. the nazi skinheads. This is my favorite Michael Mann film; I liked it better then Heat and Collateral, which is pretty high praise.

BRICK- Another amazing piece of film noir, this one from a young first time director. When I heard about the plot of this film I thought it sounded pretty lame, a noir detective story set in high school? But, thanks to a great script an amazing performance from the kid from Third Rock From The Sun, it’s one of the best movies I have seen this year. Highly recommended.

OLDBOY- Oh my god. This movie… how can I even begin to describe it? To ruin anything about the plot would be a crime. The end of this movie will be seared into my psyche for the rest of my days. This film is beautiful, disturbing, shocking, and haunting. It will make you think twice about talking shit on people, that’s for sure! You must see this movie!

THE DESCENT- I love horror films, and this is the best one I have seen in years. Too bad the horrible marketing made it look like just another generic POS. There are a couple scenes that are shit your pants scary. I was shocked to find out that they had not actually shot this in a real cave, it looks highly realistic. The changed the ending (for the worse in my opinion) from the original British one for the American version, so if you saw the American version make sure you check out the original (better) ending, you can find it on Youtube. This is the second film from British director Neil Marshall, I also liked his first film Dog Soldiers, about werewolves vs. soldiers.

FACTOTUM- I’m a big Bukowski fan, and this is a very faithful adaptation of his work. Matt Dillion is good as Henry Chinaski, although he is way too much of a pretty boy for the part. That is how I would describe this a faithful adaptation that is a little too pretty to be realistic. Also check out the excellent documentary “Born Into This” if you dig Bukowski.   
"You don't know what I'm all about like killing cops and reading Kerouac."

cold budweisers

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 616
Re: Movies
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2006, 07:53:22 PM »
the descent was tight, i haven't seen the other movies though.  i got to see factotum so i can be like 'shit i know where that is.'  i just watched...district b13(?) i believe it was called.  it was a french action flick, the story was pretty corny but it doesn't really matter because the action scenes/stunts/etc. are real nice.

steve urkel

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2006, 07:55:46 PM »
CRANK- the funniest thing ever. seriosly though, if you need to get stoked for skating, watch this movie. man, shitty movies like this are the best. if you want to desensitive a kid or youself to violence and sex watch it. after watching this you'll realize what your missing out on in life.

Penis_Monster

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 45
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2006, 08:25:52 PM »
mysterious skin- Pedophiles, teen prostitution, alien abductions, rape, Cocteau Twins, Elizabeth Shue playing the hottest mom in the world, joseph gordon levitt (the kid from 3rd Rock, and the magnificent BRICK) proves he's the best actor of his generation, little league, homophoebic hicks, New York, Kansas, shoegaze, Sigur Ros, cereal, crabs - whata beautiful film.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2006, 08:32:22 PM by Penis_Monster »
"I FEAR NO MAN"

obeygiant

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2006, 08:53:26 PM »
fuck movies .... stupid over paid millionaires who talk in front of a camera and yet some dude is in Iraq getting shot at getting paid nothing but some random guy in front of a blue screen gets paid 3 mill .......   i needed to vent

HenryChinaski

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2006, 10:13:03 PM »
skmbskt- "the story was pretty corny but it doesn't really matter because the action scenes/stunts/etc. are real nice." -Some of my favorite films are like that, like BIG TROUBLE IN LITTLE CHINA, just fun to watch.
steve urkel- I actually have been hearing that CRANK was good, I am going to have to check it out.
Penis_Monster- That movie sounds awesome! I gotta see that now.
obeygiant- I hear ya man. My brother in law is about to get deployed to Iraq, and he def deserves to be paid better for risking his life. Such is life in our celebrity obsessed society though.

CUDDLEMONSTER

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 170
  • reptiles
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2006, 10:16:33 PM »
crank was intense. my friend started doing pushups in the aisle just because he couldn't sit there anymore.

Penis_Monster

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 45
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2006, 11:02:27 PM »
crank was intense. my friend started doing pushups in the aisle just because he couldn't sit there anymore.

hahHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHH
"I FEAR NO MAN"

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 264
  • tiger style
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2006, 10:51:49 AM »
I saw fantastic bore last night.

Jessica Alba looks sexy but felt under utilized due to the fact that she remained clothed.

They established themselves as the fantastic four by saving a bunch of people on a bridge from a wreck that they caused. This was kind of funny but I just can't imagine how the writers are that dumb but I guess they are.

Special effects were weak as fuck. The thing looked rediculous to me and the rubber man was really silly looking too. Also the sky scrapers at night looked wack.

steve urkel

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2006, 03:25:45 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

hahHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHH

seriosly i felt like robbing a store for energy drinks right after i saw it

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1200
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2006, 03:43:10 PM »
i thought Brick was rad.
hardly art, hardly starving

dick butkus 1337

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2006, 04:20:17 PM »
gridiron gang comes out friday can't wait

PAWL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -59
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2006, 07:11:37 PM »
v for vendetta. although its kind of annoying how apparently its everybodys new favorite movie at my school. I hate when that shit happens, like i see Napolean Dynamite when it comes out, and then like 8 months later nobody can shut the fuck up about it.
yo mike mo new age ape style high five with my reborn hand.

2008 psychedelic experience. thanks.

Mizzork

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2006, 07:30:12 PM »
I'm stoked since I sent my younger brother back home to Hawaii with a copy of Shutter, and he called me the other day to tell me that it's easily the scariest movie he's ever seen.  He showed his girl one scene and she couldn't even handle that.  Subtle horror that scare the ever-loving shit out of you.  I love it.

mikefork

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2006, 07:33:19 PM »
like i see Napolean Dynamite when it comes out, and then like 8 months later nobody can shut the fuck up about it.
i am the only person i know that hates that movie. snakes on a plane is going to be the new napoleon dynamite, everyone knows it. i honestly didn't laugh once in n.d

SOFT 7

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2006, 07:55:39 PM »
yes Brick is good.

so is London.

mikefork

« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2006, 07:56:56 PM »
I'm stoked since I sent my younger brother back home to Hawaii with a copy of Shutter, and he called me the other day to tell me that it's easily the scariest movie he's ever seen.  He showed his girl one scene and she couldn't even handle that.  Subtle horror that scare the ever-loving shit out of you.  I love it.
never heard of it, i will look for it though. is it scary or disturbing or both?

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 264
  • tiger style
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2006, 07:07:27 AM »
Before I saw it, it was obvious to me that Napolean Dynamite was a love it or hate it type film. I feel lucky to be in the love in category on that one. Have watched it in repeats on HBO a shit load and never get tired of it.

sergio

« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2006, 07:01:31 PM »
i saw half nelson, little miss sunshine & following sean these past couple of weeks

HenryChinaski

« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2006, 07:21:37 PM »
i saw half nelson, little miss sunshine & following sean these past couple of weeks
What did you think of Little Miss Sunshine? I have been hearing good things about that, and have been meaning to check it out.

Mizzork

« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2006, 08:23:08 PM »

The cover looks like this, and apparently there isn't a release in the US.  I bought it Malaysia.

eight oh eight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 176
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2006, 08:35:23 PM »
OLDBOY- Oh my god. This movie… how can I even begin to describe it? To ruin anything about the plot would be a crime. The end of this movie will be seared into my psyche for the rest of my days. This film is beautiful, disturbing, shocking, and haunting. It will make you think twice about talking shit on people, that’s for sure! You must see this movie!

Have you seen Sympathy for Mr. Revenge/Lady Vengence?  Those two plus Oldboy were directed by the same director.  Good stuff for sure.

HenryChinaski

« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2006, 08:51:50 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Have you seen Sympathy for Mr. Revenge/Lady Vengence?  Those two plus Oldboy were directed by the same director.  Good stuff for sure.
No, I have only seen Oldboy. I have heard that those two films are really good as well, especially Lady Vengence. I know they just released all three together in a dvd box set, and I was planning to pick that up when I go back to the States at Christmas time. Have you seen both of them? Are they as good as Oldboy?

eight oh eight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 176
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2006, 08:59:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
No, I have only seen Oldboy. I have heard that those two films are really good as well, especially Lady Vengence. I know they just released all three together in a dvd box set, and I was planning to pick that up when I go back to the States at Christmas time. Have you seen both of them? Are they as good as Oldboy?
I only got to see some parts of both from time to time, but it's some good stuff indeed.  Even though they're not elaborately set up like Oldboy, they really shine in their own way.  The times when it's not a drama, K-cinema can be pretty good.

max power

« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2006, 07:04:53 AM »
i can't wait for the new zach braff movie, the man is a genius. i hope its like garden state, and is very whimsical.

bert

• Rep: 0
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2006, 07:27:34 AM »
actually,  the last kiss is not at all like garden state, from what i hear

cold budweisers

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 616
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2006, 01:33:51 PM »
the last movie i saw was idlewild, and it was very disappointing.

HenryChinaski

« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2006, 02:26:02 AM »
I can not wait to see this film “Pan's Labyrinth” by Guillermo Del Toro. http://www.panslabyrinth.com Just check out the posters and wallpapers on that official site, the imagery is so surreal and nightmarish. The advance reviews for this have all been stellar. The film even received a long standing ovation and cheers at the end when it was shown recently at the Toronto International Film Festival, which is known for it’s usually fickle and critical audiences. I love Del Toro's fims. Any one seen The Devil’s Backbone or Cronos? He also made Blade 2 and Hellboy. 

bert

• Rep: 0
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2006, 03:48:07 AM »
i didnt quite know what to make of devil's backbone. cronos i liked though

cav

• Rep: 2
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2006, 11:24:29 AM »
little miss sunshine was one of the best comedies i've seen