Author Topic: Spitfire Wheel Shapes  (Read 9675 times)

Basingstoke

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 34
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Spitfire Wheel Shapes
« on: October 17, 2010, 03:19:17 PM »
Looking through the new catalog I realised that I had no idea what most of the wheels shapes are like so can anyone explain or has pdf showing them in profile/tech details ?

Classic, Classic Thin, Classic Full, SFW Conical, Cardiel Slim, Grosso Cut, SFM/Bighead and then no mention to the shapes on the cored or Park/Streetburners wheels.

MFS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65427
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Spitfire Wheel Shapes
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2010, 09:47:09 PM »
I think streetburners are classic shapes.

Randozzi

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2010, 10:48:46 AM »
yeah, pretty sure they are too.

i'm a big fan of the Classic Thin shape.

Basingstoke

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2010, 11:26:46 AM »
So what sort of shape are Classic Thins ?  quite thin riding surface with sharp less mellow profile?

I set up some Neon Mash up wheels (Big Head, I think) as a complete change & although the grip was great I am think of going for a different shape i.e a bit less running surface.

ginz2

• Rep: 4
  • i seent it.
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2010, 02:58:08 PM »
this shit has always bugged me. spitfire needs to put up profiles of their wheels so people understand what the riding surface looks like, you can only get so much from viewing a graphic.

as much as i love spitfires, at least bones has that 360 view on their website so you know what the wheel shape is when browsing online.
grom n proud

H8R part 4

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -301
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2010, 03:11:50 PM »
this is why you go to your local skate shop, so you don't have to guess or imagine what something looks like.  you can actually see, touch, buy and walk out the store with it. 
if you shop online, you run the risk of getting what you think you're going to get, as opposed to knowing exactly what you're getting.   

that said, i like thin cuts overall since they have less surface area and slide better, but lately i've been wanting wider wheels for more grip/stability at the skateparks. 

rlang

• Rep: 19
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2010, 04:23:49 PM »
The Cardiel thins are crazy slick on tranny until they're totally broken, which is ironic.  Classics are good all around, classics thins are good street wheels. The classic full / big wheels are similiar and good for all around, they'll slide but they grip too.     

ginz2

• Rep: 4
  • i seent it.
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2010, 05:58:57 PM »
this is why you go to your local skate shop, so you don't have to guess or imagine what something looks like.  you can actually see, touch, buy and walk out the store with it. 
if you shop online, you run the risk of getting what you think you're going to get, as opposed to knowing exactly what you're getting.   

that said, i like thin cuts overall since they have less surface area and slide better, but lately i've been wanting wider wheels for more grip/stability at the skateparks. 

you do realize that most skate shops do not actually get every shape of spitfire wheels. i dont believe the shop owners have access to profile shots of the wheels either, therefore no matter what, everyone is ordering wheels blindly without realizing the difference between a thin cut and a cardiel thin cut....

i just think it would be more beneficial to all spitfire consumers to have access to what these cuts look like.
grom n proud

PFIASB.

• Rep: -94
  • Formerly elmo
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2010, 07:16:18 PM »
i think some spitfires are circle
people like you are the people who ruin skateboarding and slap 2g

rlang

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2010, 10:27:30 AM »
i think some spitfires are circle

or at least they start out that way

MFS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65427
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2010, 10:36:49 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

you do realize that most skate shops do not actually get every shape of spitfire wheels. i dont believe the shop owners have access to profile shots of the wheels either, therefore no matter what, everyone is ordering wheels blindly without realizing the difference between a thin cut and a cardiel thin cut....

i just think it would be more beneficial to all spitfire consumers to have access to what these cuts look like.

Theres a full shape breakdown in the catalog most of the time. Plus on the ordering spreadsheet its always very specific what shape the wheel is. Go support your local shop.

Basingstoke

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2010, 12:20:15 PM »
There is no local shop here!

The UK shops really aren't that good as there isn't much of a hardgoods market and I doubt that the Distributor here supplies the information as they are a toy importer.

BarneysButter

• Rep: 0
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2011, 10:06:49 AM »
http://www.dlxsf.com/spring08cat/sf/

use the mouse to roll over the wheels and it shows the shapes.

Basingstoke

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2011, 11:39:27 AM »
Thank you, I was just looking at the latest catalouge and thinking about, this thread.

brokenheadphone

• Rep: -3
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2011, 04:47:58 AM »
It doesn't matter what shape you get since they're all going to be badly poured with horrible runout.

Skatewarehouse also has photos of the profile shapes on their site.

burm

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 134
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2011, 10:39:45 PM »
It doesn't matter what shape you get since they're all going to be badly poured with horrible runout.

Skatewarehouse also has photos of the profile shapes on their site.

For a guy who started skating 2 months ago, you seem to have a lot of opinions on skateboard gear. Personally I have never seen a badly poured Spitfire wheel.
take what small comfort there may be left
seize what you love and damn all the rest

brokenheadphone

« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2011, 04:51:39 AM »
I skated from '94-99 and recently picked it back up. In my 30s now. Yes, I'm having to re-learn everything, but I didn't "just start 2 months ago".

Yeah, I have opinions. I just don't like to waste money on sub-par gear.  It also sucks being let down by a brand you used to be able to depend on.

I'm not the only one that's had problems with badly poured Spits.

That's nice that you haven't had any issues with them, but personally I won't be buying another set after my last experience with them.

spare change

« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2011, 06:59:58 AM »
I've had some bad spitfires but I've also had some good ones. They aren't the most consistent but generalizing that EVERY wheel they make sucks is wrong. The first few batches of f1's were bad, but they seem to fine tune the urethane every new batch.

brokenheadphone

« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2011, 01:20:13 PM »
Spare,

I see your point, but after being told that my bad set of wheels were "normal" my conclusion is that QC isn't the biggest concern at the company. As far as "bad batches" go, if there was a bad batch they should've recalled it or just QC'd and tested their product properly in the first place before doing a full run.

Bottom line, I can't think of any reason why I should give Spits another shot, especially when there are better, more consistently manufactured wheels out there that I can buy.

ChildoftheGhetto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1323
  • Nathaniel Turner with a burner
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2011, 01:22:36 PM »
It's crazy how spitfires get by on name alone. Everyone knows they're terrible, but a shitload of people still buy them.

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2011, 01:42:44 PM »
It's crazy how spitfires get by on name alone. Everyone knows they're terrible, but a shitload of people still buy them.
i know they suck and i still want some!!!

GnarlesManson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -118
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2011, 07:26:48 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
i know they suck and i still want some!!!
i always get spitfires because theyre so easily available, and i like how they feel. yeah they get flatspots but usually they roll out or ill just get new ones.

Archers of Chaka

• Rep: -10
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2011, 10:51:49 PM »
I love the way spitfires ride, but I do agree that when it comes to durability they suck, and the quality of them varies from set to set. I'm thinking about getting a set of STF's next. I'd be less hesitant to get STF's if they would stop using that squared out sides shape on like 95 percent of their wheels, which I think looks horrid, especially when the wheels start wearing down, it looks so bad.

rlang

« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2011, 10:35:34 AM »
All of their new wheels, the ones without the groves, have been very good to me.  Excellent combo of grip and slide.

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2011, 06:28:42 PM »
All of their new wheels, the ones without the groves, have been very good to me.  Excellent combo of grip and slide.

stf's?
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

AnklePants

• Rep: -10
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2011, 06:38:23 PM »

agreed

Deep Cover

• Rep: -2
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2011, 11:34:32 PM »
What shapes are the new Rieders?

Basingstoke

« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2011, 11:41:04 AM »
Classic Full

http://www.dlxsf.com/spring08cat/sf/

on page two roll your mouse over the parkburners and a digram appear w/ specs