Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 744108 times)

imuseless

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 14
Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #1650 on: October 19, 2019, 12:49:36 AM »
Also I think they should also make 88s at 9.5" or something for the real big bois. Would go well with Joey T's support of Jason Jessee also…  :-X

:D

And yeah, changing the size of 44's sounds like a bummer.

Fred Gerwer Frank Gall

« Reply #1651 on: October 19, 2019, 09:14:42 AM »
Are people really that much in need of an 8 3/8" truck?

UncleRandy69

• Rep: 2
« Reply #1652 on: October 19, 2019, 09:24:35 AM »
44s going from 8.38 to 8.25 pretty much takes everything they had to offer me of the table.

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #1653 on: October 19, 2019, 09:37:48 AM »
I find it funny that a big bitch about Ace 44s is that they aren’t a true 8.5”, and now that they are going to have one (the 55), people say Ace is dead to them.

Fred Gerwer Frank Gall

« Reply #1654 on: October 19, 2019, 09:41:16 AM »
Agreed. They will have more size options than most truck manufacturers once these sizes come out.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1108
« Reply #1655 on: October 19, 2019, 09:45:02 AM »
I find it funny that a big bitch about Ace 44s is that they aren’t a true 8.5”, and now that they are going to have one (the 55), people say Ace is dead to them.

Part of why I was hoping they’d not change. People just complain.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 980
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #1656 on: October 19, 2019, 10:19:44 AM »

If they OCD enough I guess, but 8.3/8 truck is the wonkiest size out there but made it easier to cover 8.25-8.3.x instead of going 8" or 8.5'.

People can still ride ML if they want and 8.38 and they wouldn't be that disappointed...

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #1657 on: October 19, 2019, 01:28:15 PM »

People definitely complained there was no true 8.5" but I'd argue there was a near equal amount of people who liked the 8.3." Every time someone brought up the 8.5" there'd always be a slew of posts about 'sure, as long as they keep the 44/I hope they keep the 44.' etc. even in this thread.

44's are perfect for me cause I bounce between 8.3 to 8.5" decks, and could go down to 8.25" without much worry, which is nice. But I'm just one dude and the people definitely asked for an 8.5, and I understand it's not financially viable to offer a 8.25,8.3, and 8.5 for a smaller company.

Edit: Went back a bit and read up on this thread to make sure I wasn't talking out of my ass. I think the more general complaint was it went 8.3" (44) to 9" (55), with no middle ground. Personally I see way more worth with a 44 that's 8.3" vs an 8.25." I'd say leave the 44's as is and make the 55's 8.5." 
« Last Edit: October 19, 2019, 03:51:47 PM by palelight »

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 115
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #1658 on: October 19, 2019, 04:08:09 PM »
not really, but the size did let you play with a lot of board sizes; pretty much anywhere from 8.18 - 8.75. I’m not saying I’ll never buy aces again, I just thought that was a good size truck, will probably snag another pair of the old ones before they become hard to find
« Last Edit: October 19, 2019, 07:09:19 PM by Gay Imp Sausage Metal »

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

AssFlea

• Rep: -31
« Reply #1659 on: October 19, 2019, 05:06:55 PM »
Size name changes I couldn't care. I love my aces they turn nice. The brand feels like early venture and thunders

Which were both like an indy3
_--
xX
^    @
''')'
'''''

jgonzalez

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 761
  • no not never. looser.
    • JGonz4ever avatar image
« Reply #1660 on: October 19, 2019, 10:19:16 PM »
Does ace run ads in print magazines? I don't subscribe to any skate mags right now, so I'm wondering how they look

nothing's been the since same

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #1661 on: October 19, 2019, 10:25:07 PM »
Does ace run ads in print magazines? I don't subscribe to any skate mags right now, so I'm wondering how they look
  Its not an issue (ha)
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 188
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #1662 on: October 20, 2019, 10:50:18 PM »
Damn I really liked the height of the classics,

I guess it was a good thing I got another set of 44’s

What was wrong with the 52mm height of the current aces? I hate the tippy height of 55mm stage XI Indy’s and v2 aces

The current v3 ace classics are so good, maybe lose some weight and make the metal quality more like ermico and I’ll be such a die hard ace fan

But back to 54/55mm tall and heavier? So it’s a better turning Indy stage 11?

I feel like the current version is a good competitor to the top 3
yes

Diocletian

« Reply #1663 on: October 21, 2019, 07:40:51 AM »
All ace versions have been 52mm tall I’m pretty sure.

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 437
« Reply #1664 on: October 21, 2019, 08:44:41 AM »
I'm getting close to setting up the ACE I picked up. Whats the consensus on Bones bushings in them? Works/Doesn't?
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1665 on: October 21, 2019, 08:49:53 AM »
I'm getting close to setting up the ACE I picked up. Whats the consensus on Bones bushings in them? Works/Doesn't?

I’d do a strong no.
Bones are great in ventures.
Ace have excellent bushings. It’ll feel weird for a few days, but if you just skate them without any mods, factory tight, they start to feel better. It takes a minute tho. Imo it’s way worth it to try the truck the way it ‘should’ be.
Resist the urge to fuck with them.

Fred Gerwer Frank Gall

« Reply #1666 on: October 21, 2019, 08:50:36 AM »
Damn I really liked the height of the classics,

I guess it was a good thing I got another set of 44’s

What was wrong with the 52mm height of the current aces? I hate the tippy height of 55mm stage XI Indy’s and v2 aces

The current v3 ace classics are so good, maybe lose some weight and make the metal quality more like ermico and I’ll be such a die hard ace fan

But back to 54/55mm tall and heavier? So it’s a better turning Indy stage 11?

I feel like the current version is a good competitor to the top 3

They are going to keep them the same height as the current ones... the prototypes had thicker baseplates is all.

arrbee

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1667 on: October 21, 2019, 09:36:38 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I’d do a strong no.
Bones are great in ventures.
Ace have excellent bushings. It’ll feel weird for a few days, but if you just skate them without any mods, factory tight, they start to feel better. It takes a minute tho. Imo it’s way worth it to try the truck the way it ‘should’ be.
Resist the urge to fuck with them.

Word, appreciate the feedback. I've been running bones for years so instinctively I have the urge to swap before I even ride them
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

B0udoir

• Rep: 1
« Reply #1668 on: October 21, 2019, 09:40:49 AM »

What's wrong with the stock ones, why do you want to put Bones Bushings?

arrbee

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1669 on: October 21, 2019, 09:43:15 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I've used Bones in every set of trucks the last 8 years. Just a habit at this point. Haven't ridden the stock yet.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #1670 on: October 21, 2019, 09:53:13 AM »
I bought my first set of Aces used and the dude who sold them to me didn't bother telling me he chucked the stock bushings and washers and only had Bones bushings in them. I did not like them with Bones bushings. Can't remember exactly what it was but I think they were somehow restricting the turn. Got Ace aftermarket bushings after a while and since then I've absolutely loved Aces. Great trucks and great stock bushings. Fucking with them will only make the trucks worse and you don't want that.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1671 on: October 21, 2019, 10:07:39 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I've used Bones in every set of trucks the last 8 years. Just a habit at this point. Haven't ridden the stock yet.

Bones just work. You can skate the day of new trucks and have an enjoyable experience, they are a very consistent product. Well until they break. They really liven up ventures.

arrbee

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1672 on: October 21, 2019, 10:16:35 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Bones just work. You can skate the day of new trucks and have an enjoyable experience, they are a very consistent product. Well until they break. They really liven up ventures.

Yup, I've been on Thunder for like 10 years, venture since like March of this year. All with Bones and all performed extremely well for me.

padded_shorts

• Rep: 5
« Reply #1673 on: October 21, 2019, 10:32:18 AM »
It's getting cold and my aces started doing the thing where the bottom bushing pops out of the washer. I'm assuming this is the cold hardening the bushing. I had been loving them up until this. Put on some Thunders for now, but I will go back to the Aces once it warms up again.
No.

Diocletian

« Reply #1674 on: October 21, 2019, 11:58:26 AM »
Yeah, I really don’t know why people love the new bushings so much. The washers dug into them immediately, and they’d constantly get stuck leaning one side. Indy washers fix it but they’re still way too soft for my liking.

Bones bushings work fine in Ace’s, just use a bottom cup washer underneath if you wanna keep the stock geo. Or don’t, and put a bones washer underneath and on top...super turny.

I still think Krux aftermarkets are the best in Ace’s. They won’t break like Bones inevitably will, and they have perfect rebound, no flop.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1675 on: October 21, 2019, 12:08:44 PM »
Not to be no hater but.....those that experience the broken bushing/bushing pop out etc etc.....did any of you truly, for reals tho, but did you really: break in the fucking trucks first? This used to happen to me all of the time. Because I’d get a board and tighten the trucks right away. Like a fucking child. Stop it. I don’t care if you are 275, don’t have balance, only like to tic tac whatever,  just roll around for a while. The bushings firm up. Try to make thru a few sessions before you tighten the trucks up. Hey, we all need the excuses, none of us can be that good. Just leave that shit alone, quit picking at it. It’ll get better, I promise.

My true, sincere apologies if anyone who has had bushing problems has tried to really break in the trucks, and then still had bushing failure. I’m sure it’s possible.

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #1676 on: October 21, 2019, 12:27:41 PM »
Not to be no hater but.....those that experience the broken bushing/bushing pop out etc etc.....did any of you truly, for reals tho, but did you really: break in the fucking trucks first? This used to happen to me all of the time. Because I’d get a board and tighten the trucks right away. Like a fucking child. Stop it. I don’t care if you are 275, don’t have balance, only like to tic tac whatever,  just roll around for a while. The bushings firm up. Try to make thru a few sessions before you tighten the trucks up. Hey, we all need the excuses, none of us can be that good. Just leave that shit alone, quit picking at it. It’ll get better, I promise.

My true, sincere apologies if anyone who has had bushing problems has tried to really break in the trucks, and then still had bushing failure. I’m sure it’s possible.

I didn't get a chance to break them in.  I put the trucks (66s) on the deck, and without touching the tightness they popped out doing a garage ollie.  I put them back in and tried looser and they popped out again.  Leaning the board would cause them to pop out no matter the tightness.    Zero ability to break in a bushing when it won't stay in for 10 seconds.

I weigh 178 lbs.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1677 on: October 21, 2019, 12:35:54 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I didn't get a chance to break them in.  I put the trucks (66s) on the deck, and without touching the tightness they popped out doing a garage ollie.  I put them back in and tried looser and they popped out again.  Leaning the board would cause them to pop out no matter the tightness.    Zero ability to break in a bushing when it won't stay in for 10 seconds.

I weigh 178 lbs.

Fair enough.
I try and skate, for transport, for awhile first. But you really should*** NOT****have to do that. Since adopting my hands off approach I haven’t had any problems. I will dab some speed cream on the pivot after a week or so.
Again, my apologies to those that have had this scenario. Sounds frustrating.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 02:21:38 PM by Ok »

padded_shorts

• Rep: 5
« Reply #1678 on: October 21, 2019, 12:53:41 PM »

I had been riding mine for a couple of months without any issue. Like I said earlier, I'm pretty sure it's the cold weather. it was about 40 out. The cold stiffens up the bushings, they don't give as they should and it pops out. I was really liking them and will get them out again when it gets warm again.
No.

Diocletian

« Reply #1679 on: October 21, 2019, 02:40:42 PM »
As backinaction said, you can’t break in a bushing that won’t even sit properly. My experiences were the same. 210lbs here.